• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trying to get Started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein

Ein

Level 1
I'm just starting off with this whole Geomerge thing, so what I'm able to do is very limited. Anyways, any help or tips would be much appreciated.

What I'm messing with right now is a Gnoll unit styled after the Herbalists from WoW by merging the Orc Warlocks from BC with the standard gnoll.

The current result being this:

gnollHerbalist.jpg

I'd have taken an in-game shot, but when I load it in the WE it trys to read the mdx file as an mdl or something and won't load. I get this error a lot and I have no idea why.

Level 4
That's a damn good head swap for just starting out.

Keep up the changing of it. Bet you'll have a good model in no time.

Ein

Ein

Level 1
Thanks for the feedback. Though I'm not really sure what you mean by use different clothes? You mean use a different body model or something? I liked the warlock look, it's why I went with it. Except for the hands, but I think I may have to mess with the textures to fix those. And I want to drop the blade thing in his hand, and lengthen the cloak.

What spawned my need to do this in part though, is a campaign idea I'm just kind of tinkering with in my spare time trying to learn as I go. About a group of refugees fleeing Andorhal, who team up with some bandits to form a kind of mercenary alliance thing. Stuff happens, yadda yadda, they end up comming across a bunch of evil wizards fascinated by the plague's ability to weaken the barriers between worlds passing them self off as plague doctors. Ultimately they end up passing through a portal and come to a primal nameless world inhabitted by a race of relatively passive intelligent Gnolls. I'm not sure how much I wana change them though, I may just make a whole set so I can give them human styled legs instead of animal legs on the regular Gnolls.

Ein

Ein

Level 1
It's just a skin issue I haven't addressed yet. Though Potentially I suppose I could cut the hands off the Gnoll model and stick em on there. But that just doesn't strike me as being a very productive way of doing it when I could just recolor those indistinct globs that pass for hands on WC3 models.

Ein

Ein

Level 1
Made a little progress. Though I'm having all kinds of trouble with the animations. So his legs kind of ended up being shins with ball caps. Cause if I rig it to use thighs and shins they break apart at the knee. So I'm kind of faking it. You can see what I'm talkin about with the foot in this shot.

HerbalUpdate.png

I'd like to think I'm close to done. But it'll still need a portrait which is a total mystery to me. I dunno, maybe I'll get it as near completion and put it up on the request board asking for someone with more experiance to polish it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.