• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom animation bouncing/warping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 64
1) For some reason when I make a custom animation, the model decides to bounce up and down between frames, instead of moving from one to the next.

2) Also, when I try to turn a wheel in a circle, it ends up warping into an oval at 45 degrees, and a flat disk at 90. thus making turning the wheel impossible.

3) When I have 'Herr Dave' turn his head, it warps diagonally, as if he was a rubber ball that'd been stepped on during the animation.

Level 17
when ive tried animating with it i never get any unexpected results.. for your first problem it sounds like you are moving the model's skeleton up and down. but i dont know, since i have no idea what you are doing and i dont think anyone else does either try to be more precise if you want more help

Level 64
Err-- right then.

You know how when animating, the model is supposed to move from pose to pose, yes? Well in-between the poses which I had set, the model bounces up and down, or moves strangely even though there aren't any poses in-between (blue lines)

As for the wheels, I had bound two separate wheels to the same bone and attempted to have the bone rotate vertically, in doing so the attached vertexes on either side decide to stretch and flatten.

Level 18
It's not very clear to what exactly you are referring, but it sounds like one of these 3 cases to me. If I'm wrong, please excuse me:

1) have set an incorrect rotation (they are described by quaternions which are really tricky and I avoid scripting rotations manually for the most part, as said, use MdlVis instead to set rotations by touching the model, not scripting.)

2) have some vertices attached to more than 1 bone, in which case their movements are superimposed and cause such aberrations.

3) If you have a linearly interpolated rotation to an angle larger that 180°, it will occur at the other angle.

Let's say you have a model of a turret that turns from north (default) to the east, south and finally southwest. The model will, however, select the shorter way and simply rotate from north through west through southwest. To avoid that, split it in two rotations: north to southeast, then southeast to southwest.

Level 64
It's not very clear to what exactly you are referring, but it sounds like one of these 3 cases to me. If I'm wrong, please excuse me:

1) have set an incorrect rotation (they are described by quaternions which are really tricky and I avoid scripting rotations manually for the most part, as said, use MdlVis instead to set rotations by touching the model, not scripting.)

2) have some vertices attached to more than 1 bone, in which case their movements are superimposed and cause such aberrations.

3) If you have a linearly interpolated rotation to an angle larger that 180°, it will occur at the other angle.

Let's say you have a model of a turret that turns from north (default) to the east, south and finally southwest. The model will, however, select the shorter way and simply rotate from north through west through southwest. To avoid that, split it in two rotations: north to southeast, then southeast to southwest.

You've solved the problem with the wheel stretching and flattening on solution #2, thank ye very much good sir!

Now the only thing jamming my model-works machine is custom animations 'bouncing/twitching' in-between pose frames (with no frames in-between)

1) For some reason when I make a custom animation, the model decides to bounce up and down between frames, instead of moving from one to the next.

2) Also, when I try to turn a wheel in a circle, it ends up warping into an oval at 45 degrees, and a flat disk at 90. thus making turning the wheel impossible.

3) When I have 'Herr Dave' turn his head, it warps diagonally, as if he was a rubber ball that'd been stepped on during the animation.

The reason the model is bouncing up and down is an interpolation issue. Try adding an extra frame inbetween the two frames it jumps between. Also, with rotation, try to never rotate a bone more than 90 degrees between two frames, again, for interpolation reasons.

Level 64
@NhazUl - I would upload it, were it a normal model, but this is a very special request and the person who requested it doesn't want it up prior to its full completion, even if it hinders its development *facedesk*

(Also I havn't the foggiest idea how to upload models in this section)

@Fingolfin - I tried adding a frame where the model goes to its unwanted pose, but rather than fixing it, it ends up doing exactly what it did when broke.

It starts its broken movement, snaps to the pose I gave it for that single frame, and snaps back to its unwanted pose and moves onto the next custom frame.

Level 18
If it doesn't work, then some of the Hermite/Bezier rotations are buggy and the bug is conserved when switching to linear interpolation. In this case you may have to script the rotation manually. To do this, you must use quaternions for the description of the angles. To calculate them from Euler angles (normal angles in degrees on x, y, z) you can use converters such as this one.

Level 64
Alas, after having changed all from Hermite/Bezier to Linear, the bump & bob still remains.

Being a rather unintelligent individual, I have failed to grasp your instructions, sir NhazUl.

Having now gone back on my word, I shall now post the model.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=9243u6

Long hours of reconstructing it from another game, and it has become my 'testing' model of sorts.

Attack - 1 is the animation that bumps and jitters.

Level 18
It was a simple problem - you had some random translations by X in Bone_Root that made the model jitter. I removed them for you, seems to be OK now. I don't know why you had them at all, though.

Attachments

• UrukANIM not jittery.mdx
    73.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Level 18
Bone_Root had a scaling problem, likely caused by the Spell Blink animation where she disappears. Though the keyframes within the walk sequence didn't seem to alter the scaling of the model, I deleted all anyways and it works now and Spell Blink isn't affected anyway.

Attachments

• Saleme not scaling.mdx
    85.7 KB · Views: 62
Status
Not open for further replies.