• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Cabin

Credits is in the end fight. To avoid spoilers don't read this. You read it meaning you like spoilers. XP

Map is not protected.
Do not distribute map.

Keywords:
lolz, sparta, b-day, adventure.
Contents

The Cabin (Map)

Reviews
10:43, 7th Sep 2008 Rui: Not the worst cinematic, it was actually good at some points. I was very critic so I personally ask the people who read this message not to guide themselves by the rating. My review is down below, but it may contain spoilers.

M

10:43, 7th Sep 2008
Rui:
Not the worst cinematic, it was actually good at some points. I was very critic so I personally ask the people who read this message not to guide themselves by the rating.
My review is down below, but it may contain spoilers.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Approved! Here is my review...
Rui's Review
[+]Imported Material: I have no doubts here: you imported the necessary. The sounds, the skins, and the hanged models -- which looked good (actually they looked horrible, but that's a plus :p) -- and the custom trees. All of them fit perfectly. The best of it is that you kept your map low-size.
[+/-]Hive Workshop Requirements: The map contains a valid name and an author name, and is in it's right type. The description could give more information -- what you wrote there is not even funny.
[+/-]Bugs & Otherwise Good: Throughout the cinematic, we passed through solid objects too many times. The winged guy was also static. Maybe a low animation speed could have done better? There was blood on the main character's bed when he got up.
[+/-]Camera: Decent use of the camera. Though it could have been better.
[+/-]Music/Sound: The sounds were nearly perfect. The music, however, almost screamed for me to turn it off. The Pursuit Theme played far too long at the end.
[+/-]Terrain: The custom doodads usually have the power to convince people. The terrain was too unrealistic, however. The elevation ruined it, as did the lack of ground texture variation. You might have wanted to use grass mostly, and Dalaran's grass actually worked quite well, but it was just too much grass and too little variation.
[-]Action & Ambient: The scenes lacked their ambient... they were... "raw", let's say: boring, and too static most of the times. The Camera didn't help either.
[-]Special Effects: No special effects used.
[-]Screenplay: The screenplay was nothing special. The worst part of it were the long durations of small messages.
[-]Story & Originality: The story was confusing. The first tale had little relevance besides the meeting of a character which later appears in the cinematic, but the winged guy... who was he and where did he come from?
Sparta was the worst part of it, by the way.

Off the sheet... well, your cinematic is promising as soon as we enter, the story looked quite good. The custom skin fits perfectly, especially because Warcraft's models can get boring.
I cannot judge the story in the next part... I think the overall lack of quality in the following scenes ruined the story as well. The late middle / last parts you ruined them yourself, being Sparta the worst part of it, as I mentioned above. If you were trying to put some humor into the story, then you failed (and sorry if I sound harsh, it is not my intent) to do so.

Sorry, but I don't see this being in the first place. My advice: watch other people's cinematics and learn from them, but also think if it would result better if done differently here or there. I recommend the Sect of the Holy Mother series.

My rating for this cinematic is 9/20, approximately 2 (Lacking).
If you have questions, post them at the Map Resource Moderation.
~Thank you for using the Hive Workshop

Last edited:
Level 31
Review
Notice & Contact
This map had been examined by Alexis Septimus.
If you think this map review is not accurate or require another review, feel free to contact Alexis Septimus. But, map would only be review again for second time and also for the last time unless under certain circumstances. It would be selfish to request constantly a mod/admin to keep review your map as there is many other maps waiting for approval as well.

However, if you still insist of another review after it had been review for second time. Feel free to contact other admin.

To contact Alexis Septimus, please click this
new_mail.png
Visitor Message.
Map Review
1) Terrain - Good (4)
2) Trigger -
3) Minor Error - Bad (2)
4) Major Error -Excellent (5)
5) Replay Value - Good (4)
6) Fun factor/gameplay - Average (3)
7) Use of imported material - Excellent (5)
8) Single player - Good (4)
9) AI support -
10) Camera - Bad (2)
11) Originality -
12) File Size - Excellent (5)
13) Internet/LAN Friendly -
14) Balancing -
15) Packaging - Average (3)
16) Credits - Excellent (5)
17) Storyline - Bad (2)
18) Theme -
19) Protection - Excellent (5)
20) Quality - Average (3)
21) Description/Information/Detail - Average (3)
22) Hiveworkshop rules & regulation - Excellent (5)
23) Game Mode -
24) Function -
25) Unit Placement -

Total Accumulation Point : 60/80 * 100 + 5 = 80

[+] - Good weather and sound effect.
[!] - Seems to be mixture of comedy + horror.
[-] - Camera run through unit at certain point.
[-] - Fix the fade filter, it sometimes switch to another camera before it completely turn into black.
[-] - Some destructible/doodad like rocks seems to be floating such as rocks.
[-] - Did not fully utilize warcraft 3 music, it seems to be always the same music all the time.
[-] - Typo error detected, you mistype "want" as "wan't"

Review : I would like to said this cinematic have been develop quite well in short notice, but there is a few downside of it such as the camera running through unit at certain point.

If the camera run through destructible/doodad at some point, it is fine cause it might be done at purpose to get a much better effect. But, running through unit ? Nah!!

As for the storyline, it seems to be a mix of horror + comedy to me. But, it doesn't impress me that much cause it seem to be repetitive.

Why it repetitive ? Cause it seems the story repeating by seeing that guy running away from 1 enemy to another.

As for the music, it is also part of the down side of this cinematic. It seems to play 1 music all the time for a long duration, you should utilize the warcraft music as good as possible if you do not wish to import music.

And some destructible/doodad seems to be floating. If you view it carefully, you would notice some rock floating at top of the hill.

But, for special effect. It seems to be good as you make the weather look as realistic as possible by using the proper sound for it. You even make some effect look great especially at credit section, but the camera at credit section seems to be very bad for me and you should fix the fade filter as well since it switch camera before it completely turn black.

However, due to the special effect that you develop quite well. This have earn you a merit point.

Another 5 point for this map.

Septimus Score System
Awful: 1-10
Unacceptable : 11-30
Lacking : 31-49
Useful : 50-69
Recommend : 70-90
Highly Recommend : 91-100
Director Cut : 101-105
Sub-Zero : 106+
Rating & Miscellaneous information
Score - 80
Rating - 4/5
Condition - Good
Status - Approve
Review - 1
Reminder
The map might not be fully tested, if any user of the map found bug/error or anything else.
Feel free to contact Alexis Septimus by clicking this
new_mail.png
Visitor Message.

Level 5
lol; 5 words:

i don't get it

first off i thought; might this become a serious cinematic? then i saw what you call "camping" o_O: a farmhouse with windows in 2m height
and everything goes just... eh? o_O

dunno lol no rating from me xD

ps: "H.B.!!!" (dont wanna spoil) was the best lol o_O

Level 8
Start was 5/5 but you lost quality at the end. So it makes 4/5.
Story was good till Leonidas shoved up, cinematic just don't have atmosphere for him (just my opinion).
Ending with birthday was a good solution but it would be better if that yellow/orange cloaked guy would be one of the guests too.

Level 12
well, at the beginning it was a realy nice "horor" plot, but then it changed to something "weird" and that is shame. Camera was going throught objects and units, and it was so static. And when it was changing the camera, it was always going from A to B. Sometimes its better to Apply kamera B for 0.0 sec without moving from A kamera. And in the scene with leonidas, the stones on right was flying in the air.

beginning 4/5, end 2/5

the begining was nice, then switched to storytellin' which was also nice.... but then it changed ito a bunch of non-put-together events that really confused me. also, you don't pay atention to animation, because a LOT of the models were just... frozen after the animation.. the story continued more into confusion and nonsense. and it reached it's peak in the birthday... thingie.... where i don't know what happened, and it wasn't helping that you stated "you don't wanna know" and for the last... you were (sarcastic) "sooo nice" to me by telling me to "GTFO" ~.~'

rating: 2.03 Lacking.

~Misha~

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
-the executioner gives others commands to execute?
-why is that guy with his back at the table?
-why was there blood on Marcileno's bed?
-it happened right next to them and they didn't hear anything? There were no doors
-why weren't the other two killed as well?
-did he hit the Acolyte on the way out?
-be careful about a store!?
-there's a glitch with a tree's position over heightened terrain visible when the lightning lights the screen

1/5. Boring nonsense. The start was nice though.