• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Defense / Survival] Warcraft DayZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
EloTheMan presents
168163-albums6104-picture65353.png

W-DayZ?
Warcraft DayZ is a project I have started, its based on the popular game mod known as DayZ with some inspiration from the wc3 map Afterlife v4.0.

The map will have the same basic gameplay as DayZ, you will run around looking for food, tools, weapons and ammunition to survive in a zombie infected Island region. It will have different game modes, different items such as weapons and tools and playable vehicles. It will be multiplayer with a total of 6 players who have to share and fight for limited resources on a 256*256 large map with a large variety of custom doodas in a atmospheric terrain.

Overall30%
Terrain70%
Triggers5%
Gameplay5%

Map Statistics
Size: 256x256
Max Players: 6
File Size: 5,2mb currently, maybe between 6-7mb when finished.

Features
- Multiplayer
- Multiply game modes
- 3rd person view shooting system.
- Custom inventory system adapted for the gameplay
- Survival elements
- Medium variety of items with unique abilities for all given situations
- Vehicles such as Cars, Boats and Helicopter. (The two later ones will come in future updates)
- Detailed environment and decorated houses that are wide open to explore and loot.

Images
All these images are of the parts of the terrain I have done so far, they are still WIP but mostly done.

attachment.php

Survivors will start off with normal clothing, if they manage to survive long enough they may find stronger weapons and even military protection gear.

attachment.php

attachment.php

In the woods you can more easily hide from infected or hostile players while exploring the map.

Market
attachment.php

Kitchen part of a house
attachment.php

Houses are key places for finding loot. Different type of houses will hold different kinds of loot like ex. a normal House will hold Food or Water while you can find hunting rifles and ammo in Forest Cabins or Farms.

They are also the most infected areas with zombies.

Nighttime
attachment.php

Nightvision During nighttime.
attachment.php

During the night your field of view will be restricted but can be improved by using the Nightvision item.

I am open for suggestions, feedback and questions. It will take some time before a beta comes out but my goal is to get a demo out before 2014 starts.

/EloTheMan

Attachments

• Alpha 1.jpg
    Alpha 1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 6,807
  • Alpha 2.jpg
    Alpha 2.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 11,201
  • Alpha 3.jpg
    Alpha 3.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 12,391
  • Alpha 4.jpg
    Alpha 4.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 4,438
  • Alpha 5.jpg
    Alpha 5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 4,170
  • Alpha 6.jpg
    Alpha 6.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 5,771
  • Alpha 7.jpg
    Alpha 7.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 8,062
Last edited:
Level 4
My Opinions/Suggestions on the Terrain -

I think a lot of zombie maps leave tons of open space unused by having the building doodads all over which are very large and take up a ton of space. So my suggestion is to instead of having buildings that take up space and are not realistically scaled use an imported wall doodad to create open rooms that players can move into and utilize.

Also making your own tiles or finding tiles will help give a better feel to the game. There are plenty of road tiles and modern city tiles out there.

12065391.png

I think that 256x256 will be much to large for a survival map, even though it sounds like a scavenger style survival map I find that too large of a map leads to drawn out gameplay and overwhelming new players. In my opinion players need to be introduced gradually to a game instead of being dropped right in the middle of it. I would suggest possibly considering taking elements from the popular survival map Survival 1.357 The main thing I'm talking about is the simple transition from stage to stage with bosses in between, not only does it allow new players to figure things out gradually, but also gives a more defined sense of progression which is for me anyway a great feeling to have my character progressed a lot through out the game.​

My Opinions/Suggestions on Survival Games -

I like that you choose to loosely base it off of afterlife because that was a great map. I already mentioned one map that would be good to look at for ideas, but also I think you should take a look at Mage Seige which did not receive too much popularity, but none the less is a very fun map to play and has great elements similar to Afterlife. A game that may not seem so similar, but I feel could have many cool ideas to draw from is X Hero Siege although the elements in this map wont be too realistic for the zombie map; adding challenges does not always have to be moving to a different arena and fighting an enemy like in that map, but having bonus quests and objectives that can be taken on by your party will add a lot of depth to a survival game and can be realistic. Also bonus minigames of such would be really cool, but of course make the game a lot less realistic. But diverse gameplay I feel holds the players attention longer.​

There are my suggestions. I hope you find them useful.

Level 5
@Sick: Regardig map size, you're right. I found myself overwhelmed by a mod because of their size and the different and new (to me) custom models and skins. Maybe he can make a smaller map to serve as an introduction to the game's mechanics and style.

Level 8
Love the idea and the map, I must follow this :).

@Sick, I do 100% agree with you only I think this map is more like DayZ rather then Project Zomboid (a game with open buildings). This is more of a go around and scavenge for supplies then maybe make a camp. Open houses would be cool but maybe are not suited to the idea of this map.

Level 11
This map is going to rely on different game modes rather than one solid gameplay like the majority of maps have. So far I have come up with these but nothing is settled because I am still going over the possibilities and gameplay in them.

Survival Beginner - Survive against Zombie raids at night and scavenge during day on the western Island.
Survival Pro - Survive against Zombie raids at night and scavenge during day all over the map. Includes more vehicles and stronger Zombies.
Battle Royale - Survive all over the map against weak zombies, scavenging for items and fighting over resources against other players. Killing player gives points (and zombies less points) and whoever gains the most points wins the round. Auto Revive enabled but vehicles disabled.

I would want to make a identical DayZ gameplay but the fact that playing ffa on bnet or garena doesn't work very well unless you have friends with you, this leaves me with this type of gameplay or this map would directly flop. I can only take some basic elements out of it for now.

The total playable area is not 256x256 because the environment is Island type and has about 25% water around the land.
168163-albums6104-picture65375.png

I'm planning to connect the Western and South (Lighthouse) Islands together to give a bit more room for the Survival Beginner mode. As the other images, this is also a WIP.

I wanted to make 1:1 scale houses which you can walk in too like they sort of did in AfterLife 4.0 but I remember that we rarely walked in to those areas because they took a lot of time and were solid deathtraps, its about keeping the players moving around the map looking for items instead of wasting time checking out houses. The buildings in the city are about 1:1,2 to 1:2 in scale along with the vehicles so its not a completely unrealistic environment.

On another note, there will be a charged item so that you can revive a dead teammate within ~45 seconds to keep the survival modes going round after round as long as everybody works as a team and doesn't completely wipe. This will hopefully enable more aggressive gameplay and teamwork.

Last edited:
Level 11
Quick update :D
with some info on the terrain and an other game mode.

First the terrain, I've merged the two small islands in to one and they are both conected to the main island via a bridge.
168163-albums6104-picture65764.png

And I finally managed to import two new tiles in to the map after some trouble dealing with JNGP. :p
168163-albums6104-picture65765.png

I personally think the atmosphere increased by three-four times after adding the new tiles in the city and there is still a lot of planned stuff I am going to add in there. More custom doodas to replace standard models and to fill up empty spaces + Zombie creeps wandering around.

Even though there is a lot of terraining left to do the map is taking shape pretty fast now. :)

Game Mode update:
DayZ Mode: This mode will revolve around surviving on your own for as long as you can, there is no respawn.

It will not be part of the main modes which are currently Survival Beginner and Survival Pro and is meant as a little twist to this map.

Brutally honest but the terrain is laughably bad.
>too flat
>roads are too perfect
>too bright atmosphere
>building models are too low quality, and clash with the tiles
>car models and doodads are too cartoony, and clash with everything
>fire looks unrealistic
>streets are too clean. Wheres the rubbish/public chairs/water hydrants/fences/broken traffic lights/telegraph poles?

Suggestions based off this critique:
>put a small amount of height variation. Not too much. No street is perfectly flat, but nor are streets as bumpy as a crocodile's back.
>the road tileset you are using has potholes and cracked asphalt. Use it.
>there are several ways to make your map darker, eg. permanent night type, artificial lighting, terrain fog.
>take sick's suggestion, make buildings enter-able.
>find some better fighting models with more gritty textures.
>download a custom fire model that looks more realistic.
>scatter some street doodads around.

IMO the terrain in a map is very important, because it allows one to be absorbed into the game world. Playing your map with the current terrain, even if your map is really fun, just wouldn't make me feel like I was actually in a gritty, realistic zombie apocalypse.

Level 11
Brutally honest but the terrain is laughably bad.
>too flat
>roads are too perfect
>too bright atmosphere
>building models are too low quality, and clash with the tiles
>car models and doodads are too cartoony, and clash with everything
>fire looks unrealistic
>streets are too clean. Wheres the rubbish/public chairs/water hydrants/fences/broken traffic lights/telegraph poles?

Suggestions based off this critique:
>put a small amount of height variation. Not too much. No street is perfectly flat, but nor are streets as bumpy as a crocodile's back.
>the road tileset you are using has potholes and cracked asphalt. Use it.
>there are several ways to make your map darker, eg. permanent night type, artificial lighting, terrain fog.
>download a custom fire model that looks more realistic.
>scatter some street doodads around.

IMO the terrain in a map is very important, because it allows one to be absorbed into the game world. Playing your map with the current terrain, even if your map is really fun, just wouldn't make me feel like I was actually in a gritty, realistic zombie apocalypse.

Thanks for your reply, and yeah I admit that the terrain doesn't looks quite so good yet. xD
Its a work in progress and there is so much left to be done in the terrain like for example finding correct models which can be a major problem for modern maps. Some of your points are planned to be added, its just that I haven't come that far.

Its nice to have 1:1 scale enter-able houses, but they can affect the game-play a lot in a negative and a positive way. But I guess I should add them in anyway and see how it goes.

Do you mean zombie models or the player model?

wow yeah the tiles add a lot :) I would get rid of the standard warcraft 3 boxes doodads though because they don't fit in well at all with the imported doodads.
Just replaced them with this one, gonna import some nice modern barrels soon. ;)

Level 5

So you like DayZ? WELL I LIKE IT TO! I will give an advice in-game because I bought it and now I'am playing it on Steam. My suggest is that the player can drive cars, eat, and sometimes- condition like in water can make the body temperature to go low and can be restored by walking or if near a fire. Simply way that he can have sickness.

Level 6
Last edited:
Level 11

So you like DayZ? WELL I LIKE IT TO! I will give an advice in-game because I bought it and now I'am playing it on Steam. My suggest is that the player can drive cars, eat, and sometimes- condition like in water can make the body temperature to go low and can be restored by walking or if near a fire. Simply way that he can have sickness.

Several elements from Day-Z will be part of this map, however they will not be as complicated and some mechanics like swimming, temperature, campfire, will not be included due to the limits of the warcraft general gameplay line and engine limits.

Here is a few planned mechanics.
-Bleeding will start whenever your character takes damage and can be stopped by bandage.
-Fatigue will struck your character whenever he gets low on health or when he gets hungry. The mana bar will indicate "hunger", if it reaches 0 you will slowly loose health too. When a character is fatigued he will move slower.
-If a character passes out he can be brought back to life with an Epi-Pen, if the character passes out due to low health it wont save his life completely, it will only wake him up.
-Nightvision, Flashlight and Flares, nightime will be very limited in vision in the DayZ Mode and will reguire the use of different items to give a decent vision. Flashlight and Flares will however attract zombies, who will otherwise only notice you if you walk straight up to them.
-Sneak will make it harder for zombies to notice you, but you will move slower.

When this will release?
Because I want to play that nice map !

:grin:
Progress is very slow atm, I'm currently working on the terrain and planning on the gameplay (systems and stuff that are going to be included).

The main reason for things going slowly is model hunting for this genre is not the easiest thing to do, But I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel and I will start posting some progress again soon when things are in order.

Level 11
will this map able to use -save or -load??

Its feature that is being considered. However it will not work the same way as in DayZ, when you log out and log in and you still have the same equipment, that way a player can gather up good items and reload his character if he loses those items due to the way wc3 works.

It will most likely be somewhat similar to Paranoia's system, when you get some perks the more you play. I will use the regular exp system for this, and you will be given a choice between different perks. (=talents)
The perks will be more effective for the DayZ mode but they will be somehwat useful for the other modes as well.

There are a few perks I've come up with so far:
-Scavenger, chance of getting more food out of wild animals. (Passive)
-Traveler, you will start with a small backpack.
-Hunter, you will start with a hunting knife.
-Conservation, food will last longer after you eat it. (Passive)
-Explorer, you will start with a flashlight.

These perks will take effect at the start of a round except for passive ones, you will be given the option to load your character at the beginning of the game.

Level 10
Umm, I want to know if your project is Survival (it have a time to survive/level) or it is like my Project that need to survive living a life with a full of zombie XP (it don't have a survival time it will be just a Save/Load game.)

Level 14
Some how I see this failing to beat Swat Aftermath... It is generally more fun destroying zombies with awesome heroes than running around cowering as some kind of incompetent person.

I bet that's what Capcom thought when they fucked up the ResidentEvil franchise from a mystery/horror to a pure action with almost-superhero like characters.

It was way more fun to have a gun with 2 bullets and a knife against 5 zombies.

Good luck on the project. Survival map is rather refreshing among all those RPGs going on.

Level 11
Umm, I want to know if your project is Survival (it have a time to survive/level) or it is like my Project that need to survive living a life with a full of zombie XP (it don't have a survival time it will be just a Save/Load game.)

There is no timer for the Survival Mode, you have to kill all the zombies to get to the new level and since there wont be any item respawn until the end of the round you must finish it before you run out of food.

I bet that's what Capcom thought when they fucked up the ResidentEvil franchise from a mystery/horror to a pure action with almost-superhero like characters.

It was way more fun to have a gun with 2 bullets and a knife against 5 zombies.

Good luck on the project. Survival map is rather refreshing among all those RPGs going on.

I can guarantee that your character will never be like Captain America in this map, its gonna be some rushing in the Survival Modes so you have to keep on moving or you will be killed.

Apart from the talent perks you gain after a while from playing this map there are no other RPG elements in this, items must be searched for each round

Project Update
-The terrain for the project is now clear, I will be using the Zombie Map template instead of my island. Its just for the first version of this project, I have some neat stuff done on the original map waiting for the future.
-There is going to be a talent system that will give some minor perks, its easy to obtain and you can reset it freely. You can choose between 9 talents in 3 different talentlines with each having a dedicated category (Survival, Combat and Explorer). You can only choose between 6 of them and each talent category ends with a starter item, they are useful but they wont be gamebreaking or give you a superior advantage.

Level 11
Project Update!
Its been a while since the last update on this but I can at least announce a ton of changes and updates.

1st of all, Thanks to The_Witcher's awesome camera system I want to inform that the game play and combat will be played in 3rd person view and moving around with the arrows keys. This will involve movement such as strafing, moving backwards and "sneaking" to move around much more efficiently and staying hidden from enemies.

2nd, I decided to continue on my original terrain map. The advantages in the gameplay given by it were to great to be missed out, and thanks to the camera/movement system I can also bring back my plans for both Cars and flyable Helicopters, Boats are also on the planning table.
And I didn't abandon the plan to implement full scale houses, and as of right now 95% of all buildings in the map are open for exploration and looting.
129858d1381421580-warcraft-dayz-alpha-2.jpg

Game modes are also being re-planned as well as the player count has been lowered to 6 players to adjust for the map size.

[FFA] - DayZ Mode - Earn points by surviving, the player with the most points by the end of the round wins. Special missions during the round gives extra points.
[FFA] - Last Man Standing - As DayZ mode but revive is disabled in this mode and instead of points its the last man standing who wins.
[3v3] - Domination - Two teams fight for survival on the Island, a set number of tickets allows the teams to revive after being killed. First team to reach 0 tickets lose. Certain events can increase ticket count.

There will be a Alpha Demo Map coming out soon that will show some limited gameplay and features of the project.

More info and more images can be found in the main post.

Last edited:
Level 11
Classes Announced!

I wanted to give the players options to personalize their playstyle, but instead of having a time consuming "perk" system that I originally planned I will instead introduce three different classes that the player can spawn in to the game with.

These classes will have different visual appearance and starting items.

1. Survivor
168163-albums6104-picture76398.png

Alpha version without shading!

The Survivor is good at scavenging and finding food to survive.

Clothing:
Red and blue shirt with blue jeans.

Starting Equipment:
1x Ruger LC9 (7 rounds semi automatic pistol chambered in 9mm Parabelum)
14x 9mm Parabellum
1x Food Can
1x Water Bottle
1x Backpack (+6 Inventory Slots) Entitled Class Item
1x Hunting Knife (Allows gathering food from animal corpses and increases hand to hand combat damage with a guaranteed bleeding effect) Entitled Class Item

2. Hero
168163-albums6104-picture76400.png

Alpha version without shading!

Heroes are set at staying alive, whether it be a open wound or blood loss, they are ready for it.

Clothing:
Woodland Splinter camouflage jacket and pants.

Starting Equipment:
1x Ruger LC9 (7 rounds semi automatic pistol chambered in 9mm Parabelum)
14x 9mm Parabellum
1x Food Can
1x Water Bottle
2x Bandage Entitled Class Item
1x Blood Bag Entitled Class Item

I want to make it a bit interesting with the starting balance when people spawn in, but from there on they will be able to loot items that some others already started with so its just a matter of choice on what you value the most.

I also could use some suggestions on improvements on the design for the skins and maybe even a suggestion on what the bandit should look like.
As always advice will be rewarded with +Rep. :wink:

Last edited:
Level 11
Small project update, I finished the concept and basics for how the Bandit class will look.
Other than that I have started to work with the survival related systems and such.

3. Bandit
168163-albums6104-picture78410.png

Bandits are well known for shooting on sight, as long as they have bullets left they will kill and steal from others in order to survive.

Clothing:
Black hunting vest, worn shirt and dark-grey cargo pants.

Starting Equipment:
1x Mosin Nagant (5 rounds bolt action rifle chambered in 7,62×54mm R) Entitled Class Item
20x 7,62×54 mm R Entitled Class Item
1x Food Can
1x Water Bottle

Last edited:
Level 11
Elo, when we will have a betta? or demo :)
It may take quite a while, I did some simple gameplay tests a couple of months ago and I found more problems than solutions...

Omg, I can't wait for this. Seriously, amazing job. :D
Thanks, I haven't completed that much but I hope you will see the future progression. :)

Hero? "Soilder" is more approve.
Well, it is more suitable.
Maybe I will separate the skin and the class and make new ones so there will be four classes instead.

Thoughts?

Level 7
My Opinions/Suggestions on the Terrain -

I think a lot of zombie maps leave tons of open space unused by having the building doodads all over which are very large and take up a ton of space. So my suggestion is to instead of having buildings that take up space and are not realistically scaled use an imported wall doodad to create open rooms that players can move into and utilize.

Also making your own tiles or finding tiles will help give a better feel to the game. There are plenty of road tiles and modern city tiles out there.

12065391.png

I think that 256x256 will be much to large for a survival map, even though it sounds like a scavenger style survival map I find that too large of a map leads to drawn out gameplay and overwhelming new players. In my opinion players need to be introduced gradually to a game instead of being dropped right in the middle of it. I would suggest possibly considering taking elements from the popular survival map Survival 1.357 The main thing I'm talking about is the simple transition from stage to stage with bosses in between, not only does it allow new players to figure things out gradually, but also gives a more defined sense of progression which is for me anyway a great feeling to have my character progressed a lot through out the game.​

My Opinions/Suggestions on Survival Games -

I like that you choose to loosely base it off of afterlife because that was a great map. I already mentioned one map that would be good to look at for ideas, but also I think you should take a look at Mage Seige which did not receive too much popularity, but none the less is a very fun map to play and has great elements similar to Afterlife. A game that may not seem so similar, but I feel could have many cool ideas to draw from is X Hero Siege although the elements in this map wont be too realistic for the zombie map; adding challenges does not always have to be moving to a different arena and fighting an enemy like in that map, but having bonus quests and objectives that can be taken on by your party will add a lot of depth to a survival game and can be realistic. Also bonus minigames of such would be really cool, but of course make the game a lot less realistic. But diverse gameplay I feel holds the players attention longer.​

There are my suggestions. I hope you find them useful.

I respectively disagree.

I think this epic size map is a great idea. Introducing RPG elements makes survival games a lot better, in my opinion. Survival is a good map, but I got bored after a while. Dawn of the Dead was pretty fun and I still play it sometimes but it's missing something. Undead Assault II and SWAT Aftermath were equally fun but they didn't satisfy my thirst either. Let's take a look at some things from those games that made it challenging and enjoyable:

Ranks:

This makes it so players who played often have something to look forward to. They have an attachment to the game that makes them come back and keep playing. Being a Master Sargent level whatever surrounded by a bunch of rookie privates and corporal newbies who are trying the game for the first time gives them some semblance of achievement and pride along with leadership. They worked hard to get that rank and the prestige and benefits that followed.

Perks/Skills/Talents/Classes:

Take every RPG/ORPG out there, they have multiple Heroes with multiple classes. Paladin, Cleric, Warrior, Assassin, Mage. You know why? Because no one wants to play the same goddamn character over and over again. It gets boring, fast. This offers diversity. Classes can be given to players at the start and then later on. Working like a chain of classes, level 1 you pick from three then as you progress in that class, you unlock better ones. (i.e. Soldier --> Veteran --> Juggernaut) or it could be a rank sort of deal. Whereas when you reach let's say level 10, you become a lieutenant and unlock the Scavenger Class or maybe have a choice between a few classes. This heightens the replayability of the map. Perks could be given in an XP style, like you kill 5000 zombies, you unlock the "Marksman" perk and it gives some sort of effect or you Scavenge 300 times and become adept at finding more valuable items.

Items:

Be it edible cheese or a state of the art assault rifle. Items make up a huge portion of any RPG or Survival style map. They're important. It makes the game more fun and everybody loves fighting for them and then flaunting them in other people's faces haha This also extends to a degree of items.

Common Items: Food, Water, Batteries, Monetary Valuables (If present or used) etc.

Uncommon Items: Ammunition, Weapons, Armor, Vehicle Parts, Equipment (Night Vision Goggles, Mines, Gun Parts, Equipment Parts.), Maps, Tools.

Rare Items: Advanced Weaponry and Armor (Laser Weaponry, Plasma Weaponry, Power Armor and equipment.), Advanced tools, Sentry Guns, etc.

This ensures variety and extended fun as it keeps players moving and searching for better gear.

Enemies:

Even zombie killing fanatics get tired of killing the same old zombie. Introduce several types which are REALISTIC and have backgrounds or something describing how the hell they came to being. Maybe enact a quest or have data logs scattered throughout the city providing lore and depth to your map and telling a story of how the hell this world became what it was. The new DLC for Call of Duty: Ghosts has scattered recordings that do this.

Zombie: After the virus was released many of the world's populace were infected and promptly turned into these beasts.

Shambler: Rotting corpses that have survived far past their prime. They are slower but have more health than normal zombies.

Stalker: Fast damaging sprinting zombies that close the distance. However, they trade armor for their speed. Making them weak.

Licker: Highly resilient mutation from the virus, which branched off from the Stalker strain. Fast, high HP and armor. Very deadly.

Dreadnought: Massive beast resulting from speedy mutations and metabolic enhancements.

Swarmer: Fast Zombie but low health, damage, armor. They support other zombies, when they notice a survivor they converge with other masses of zombies essentially becoming one giant Horde.

Just some examples.

This makes it so players have a few weapons with them to counter their enemies during any given situation. Also enhances fun and replayability.

Vehicles:

Always fun, should have something as a challenge before getting them. Be it a quest, a skill, parts to assemble it or a certain class/rank. These shouldn't be OP, if a player get's in a Tank, he should be able to wreak some havoc...for a while, at least. They shouldn't be indestructible. Just fair. A tool to be used, otherwise it just makes them the focus and every player will just rush to use them. They have to be like items or classes or quests. Just an addition to the game that enhances it, not something that dominates it.

Game Modes:

Survival....obviously surviving as long as you can, I'm not really a fan of the whole 'point system' but if that's your kind of thing, go for it. Props to you, man. This should consist of scavenging and working together or against other players. Teams, 3v3 players, working in unison to kill the other team. Campaign/Story Mode, follow a series of quests to uncover why this all started or to repopulate/ensure humanity's survival or just a chain of random ones such as rescuing survivors, protecting a base, rebuilding a generator and then at the end, have a boss fight to give it a climactic ending and XP reward.

Building/Construction:

Let's face it, building your own city is cool as shit. WoW RP, you can be a freelancer or a Warlord (Base Builder). Founders of the North: Base building. It's in a lot of maps and for good reason. This also shouldn't be the focus of the game, just an addition. You can make it so all players have the option to do this or a certain class. Engineer maybe. It makes it a lot more fun to command your own littler area or safezone for other players to occupy in, implement a trading system maybe using old pre-zombie war paper money or just valuables. Make the buildings require building material or supplies.

In Conclusion...

I'm guessing you're trying to make this a very large and fun map. Epic sized and with the systems you've already listed, it says it in itself. These are just ideas and some things I've noticed. This is of course your map and you can do whatever you wish with it. Good Luck, mate. Looks like it's going to be awesome!

Last edited:

bethmachine

Banned
Level 8
That's some nice ideas he gave you, but the building part I think will not play out well in a survival map in this kind of setting

Level 11
I respectively disagree.

I think this epic size map is a great idea. Introducing RPG elements makes survival games a lot better, in my opinion. Survival is a good map, but I got bored after a while. Dawn of the Dead was pretty fun and I still play it sometimes but it's missing something. Undead Assault II and SWAT Aftermath were equally fun but they didn't satisfy my thirst either. Let's take a look at some things from those games that made it challenging and enjoyable:

Ranks:

This makes it so players who played often have something to look forward to. They have an attachment to the game that makes them come back and keep playing. Being a Master Sargent level whatever surrounded by a bunch of rookie privates and corporal newbies who are trying the game for the first time gives them some semblance of achievement and pride along with leadership. They worked hard to get that rank and the prestige and benefits that followed.

Perks/Skills/Talents/Classes:

Take every RPG/ORPG out there, they have multiple Heroes with multiple classes. Paladin, Cleric, Warrior, Assassin, Mage. You know why? Because no one wants to play the same goddamn character over and over again. It gets boring, fast. This offers diversity. Classes can be given to players at the start and then later on. Working like a chain of classes, level 1 you pick from three then as you progress in that class, you unlock better ones. (i.e. Soldier --> Veteran --> Juggernaut) or it could be a rank sort of deal. Whereas when you reach let's say level 10, you become a lieutenant and unlock the Scavenger Class or maybe have a choice between a few classes. This heightens the replayability of the map. Perks could be given in an XP style, like you kill 5000 zombies, you unlock the "Marksman" perk and it gives some sort of effect or you Scavenge 300 times and become adept at finding more valuable items.

Items:

Be it edible cheese or a state of the art assault rifle. Items make up a huge portion of any RPG or Survival style map. They're important. It makes the game more fun and everybody loves fighting for them and then flaunting them in other people's faces haha This also extends to a degree of items.

Common Items: Food, Water, Batteries, Monetary Valuables (If present or used) etc.

Uncommon Items: Ammunition, Weapons, Armor, Vehicle Parts, Equipment (Night Vision Goggles, Mines, Gun Parts, Equipment Parts.), Maps, Tools.

Rare Items: Advanced Weaponry and Armor (Laser Weaponry, Plasma Weaponry, Power Armor and equipment.), Advanced tools, Sentry Guns, etc.

This ensures variety and extended fun as it keeps players moving and searching for better gear.

Enemies:

Even zombie killing fanatics get tired of killing the same old zombie. Introduce several types which are REALISTIC and have backgrounds or something describing how the hell they came to being. Maybe enact a quest or have data logs scattered throughout the city providing lore and depth to your map and telling a story of how the hell this world became what it was. The new DLC for Call of Duty: Ghosts has scattered recordings that do this.

Zombie: After the virus was released many of the world's populace were infected and promptly turned into these beasts.

Shambler: Rotting corpses that have survived far past their prime. They are slower but have more health than normal zombies.

Stalker: Fast damaging sprinting zombies that close the distance. However, they trade armor for their speed. Making them weak.

Licker: Highly resilient mutation from the virus, which branched off from the Stalker strain. Fast, high HP and armor. Very deadly.

Dreadnought: Massive beast resulting from speedy mutations and metabolic enhancements.

Swarmer: Fast Zombie but low health, damage, armor. They support other zombies, when they notice a survivor they converge with other masses of zombies essentially becoming one giant Horde.

Just some examples.

This makes it so players have a few weapons with them to counter their enemies during any given situation. Also enhances fun and replayability.

Vehicles:

Always fun, should have something as a challenge before getting them. Be it a quest, a skill, parts to assemble it or a certain class/rank. These shouldn't be OP, if a player get's in a Tank, he should be able to wreak some havoc...for a while, at least. They shouldn't be indestructible. Just fair. A tool to be used, otherwise it just makes them the focus and every player will just rush to use them. They have to be like items or classes or quests. Just an addition to the game that enhances it, not something that dominates it.

Game Modes:

Survival....obviously surviving as long as you can, I'm not really a fan of the whole 'point system' but if that's your kind of thing, go for it. Props to you, man. This should consist of scavenging and working together or against other players. Teams, 3v3 players, working in unison to kill the other team. Campaign/Story Mode, follow a series of quests to uncover why this all started or to repopulate/ensure humanity's survival or just a chain of random ones such as rescuing survivors, protecting a base, rebuilding a generator and then at the end, have a boss fight to give it a climactic ending and XP reward.

Building/Construction:

Let's face it, building your own city is cool as shit. WoW RP, you can be a freelancer or a Warlord (Base Builder). Founders of the North: Base building. It's in a lot of maps and for good reason. This also shouldn't be the focus of the game, just an addition. You can make it so all players have the option to do this or a certain class. Engineer maybe. It makes it a lot more fun to command your own littler area or safezone for other players to occupy in, implement a trading system maybe using old pre-zombie war paper money or just valuables. Make the buildings require building material or supplies.

In Conclusion...

I'm guessing you're trying to make this a very large and fun map. Epic sized and with the systems you've already listed, it says it in itself. These are just ideas and some things I've noticed. This is of course your map and you can do whatever you wish with it. Good Luck, mate. Looks like it's going to be awesome!

Thank you for your post and interest in my project, most of the things you have pointed out are already planned or taken in to consideration for future content.

The RPG element is something I am a bit skeptical about, leaving things to the luck of looting good things and skills of the individual player is something that usually works out the best for this type of games.
I am however experimenting and planning a lot so it might change depending on which type of gameplay that generates the most fun experience.

I guess the building part is the only thing I will not expand out to much.
Setting up tents or campfires is the only thing planned at the moment, since they can contribute to the gameplay and wont leave much room for griefing.

Level 7
Thank you for your post and interest in my project, most of the things you have pointed out are already planned or taken in to consideration for future content.

The RPG element is something I am a bit skeptical about, leaving things to the luck of looting good things and skills of the individual player is something that usually works out the best for this type of games.
I am however experimenting and planning a lot so it might change depending on which type of gameplay that generates the most fun experience.

I guess the building part is the only thing I will not expand out to much.
Setting up tents or campfires is the only thing planned at the moment, since they can contribute to the gameplay and wont leave much room for griefing.

No problem, you're putting in some work. Props, man. That's awesome to hear, when this is fully released, you can count on at least one guy playin' the shit out of it haha

:thumbs_up:

Level 16
Ah, a fellow zombie map maker! :D (Check out my project on my sig).

I too create zombie maps (Mine is more to Arcade style though.)

Hope you do well with your project!

Its lucky to have people criticize your project very thoroughly, I wish someone criticize mine so I know what people think about while playing.

You have great followers that is dedicated in the welfare of your project, well, I too would like to support your project.

Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.