• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Dungeon Crawler] Cavern of Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Cavern of Chaos
By TheGrandEditor
Version 0.12a

main.jpg

Cavern of Chaos is a dungeon-crawler with many unique aspects that hopes to differentiate itself from others, while still staying true to the genre. The map is not done, but has enough content that it can be played.

• What is a dungeon crawler? •
A dungeon crawler is a map where heroes are placed within a "dungeon" and work together to go through it. Essentially you select a hero and venture through the map, cooperatively working together. At certain points, your team will be faced with a boss fight. It features RPG elements, but is typically not a save/load RPG.

Players who have played World of Warcraft or any kind of RPG will quickly understand this map.

• Features •

A robust attribute system that introduces some new gameplay elements but not being overly complicated. All spells/abilities are directly effected by this attribute system.
A cool new item system that dynamically generates items. All items have level (shown by their Charge) and they are assigned random attributes based on their item-class type.
4 item types: Off-Hand, Weapon, Talisman, Amulet. Talisman all have a special on-use ability.
6 completely different and unique classes that offer their own playstyles and roles. Each hero can learn up to 6 spells.
A skill system that allows for futher customization of your hero. You can choose to make your hero into an excellent tank or more of a damage dealer. Once you research enough skills you "unlock" new abilities.
Epic boss fights that strive to provide a balance between creative tactics and fast thinking.
A unique damage engine: Physical damage is mitigated by armor, while spell damage is not. All spell damage does variable damage, anywhere from 80-120% of the damage stated. All damage types can be critical hits for 2x the damage (based on your critical % chances that are determined by your attributes).
Waypoint system - After defeating the first 4 bosses, your game will essentially "save" giving a code for you to type in later so that you can play from that spot again, as long as all players also have gotten that far.
Damage Text - All damage dealt is displayed and colour coded.
Event Text - All boss events are displayed on-screen, as part of the interface. You'll never miss a crucial boss event again.
Raid Warning Text - A neat little command that can help players get there message across by displaying large text that stands out, and "slides" into the main interface.
Mini-events! - Littered throughout the dungeon there are mini-events that should provide a nice change in pace from straight killing creeps. Everything from dodge-them games to secret bosses that require luring into barrels of explosive to defeat.
Nice terrain
Hero icon display - To assist in healing, you can see the HP/MP of your allies at the left.

• Helpful Tips •
If it's your first time playing, with people you don't know, you likely won't get passed the second boss.
Please post any bug reports in this thread
You must have a balanced team to get anywhere. A Priest and Barbarian is pretty much required in any party setup.
Make sure your casters get some points in Strength as well as Intelligence. Otherwise they'll die later on. This goes likewise for a Barbarian who wants to tank -> GET SKILL! RESISTANCE IS WHAT MAKES A TANK.
If you die, and there are no priests alive and no Potion of Revivals left, then you lose.

• Download •
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/cavern-chaos-158955/

Attachments

• coc1.JPG
    coc1.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 3,914
  • coc2.JPG
    coc2.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,246
  • coc3.JPG
    coc3.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,599
  • untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 1,121
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,134
  • pic3.PNG
    pic3.PNG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,329
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,104
  • pic1.png
    pic1.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 2,492
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 2,702
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,169
  • Cavern of Chaos_1.jpg
    Cavern of Chaos_1.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Cavern of Chaos_2.jpg
    Cavern of Chaos_2.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 964
  • Cavern of Chaos_3.jpg
    Cavern of Chaos_3.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 1,224
Last edited:
Level 30
Just played a quick game of this map on bnet :)

I hate it when you have to learn a complicated new system, but I also cant stand it when a map is too basic :p From what I saw, this map meets the two half way with a perfect balance of basic vs. features :)

My favourite part of the map so far is your levelling system :p I love how you can spec. each attribute, and tech / learn new skills in the order you prefer allowing you to fully customise your hero :)

The terrain is also pretty neat! It could use some work but its excellent for a beta version :)

Can't wait to play the next release :)

Level 16
First Impression is beautiful terrain, especially on playable areas (I've noticed that unplayable areas has a completely bland terrain). I've also taken a liking for the system. Keep working on it and it will be one of the best Dungeon Crawler map ever.

Level 9
If you need help with boss fights... I could help you :) or is your map completed?

When you say help, do you know vJass? Or you just want to give ideas. Either is fine.

My map is not done. I have 6 bosses completed out of 10. I spend a lot of time thinking of a creative-theme and related spells for each boss, to make them difficult, and challenging

If you'd like to make a boss, I'd be more than happy to work with you, but please note that you'll also have to create a pre-dungeon part of the boss. I'll get into more detail on this later if you're interested.

I'd like to do a run-through with you on BNet, to see if we are on the same page.

EDIT: I'm looking at your terrain and it's unreal. I'd love to have a terrainer on the team as well.

Level 3
This Rpg is nice , but it lag to me. If you need help , you can call me i can make better skill system and also it can be better if you use spell book as item system. You also need more bosses, spells, import models,... I did not play long but but is there Set items or Unique, if not you should add them. So if you need any help with trigger just call me.

Level 5
the save load seems to be broken. After we put in the stat bonuses we didn't get what we should have. Most of us had half of our spell power or crit. It would be nice to see one more class with a res.

Level 9
the save load seems to be broken. After we put in the stat bonuses we didn't get what we should have. Most of us had half of our spell power or crit. It would be nice to see one more class with a res.

When you load a character you will start at level 20. You probably had a level 25 character when you saved. This way, you are still "leveling" and doing a curve still and aren't just skipping to the bosses because you leveled up so much previously. This will make you want to kill all the turtles in the waypoint area.

Level 9
Thanks.

This is a very strange bug that I haven't been able to reproduce. Can I have your BNet name, so I can start a test-game with you? Also, are you on Azeroth? Add TheGrandEditor.

I'd like to fix this before the next patch. Were you the only one that experienced this, or all your allies?

Level 9
New version!

LATEST CHANGES
- Loading now works properly.
- New Talisman: Ice Shield (submited by Bumkt)
- Resistance will now allow you to resist damage that would otherwise kill you.
- Bugs with bosses have been fixed.
- Teleportation after defeating a boss will appear, and activate within 3-5 seconds instead of appearing and activating instantly.
- The second-last boss has had his difficulty increased.

Last edited:
Level 3
got a question, is the arcane explosion unavoidable except being in the shield? are we able to stun it when its casting it? cause we tried so many times, and still we can't get that boss down.

Level 1
How do you defeat the naga boss? Me and my friends are having trouble with her.
The piercing shots one-hits us excepts for the barbarian.
Can anyone help us out and tell me how to defeat her?

Thanks

Level 9
How do you defeat the naga boss? Me and my friends are having trouble with her.
The piercing shots one-hits us excepts for the barbarian.
Can anyone help us out and tell me how to defeat her?

Thanks

Hint: The Barbarian's Intervene spell makes the target invulnerable to damage until he reaches their position.

On a side note I'm currently working on the creeps before the last boss. They are skeletons, warriors and mages. The mages deal damage equal to 10% of the target they are attacking's health. This means even a Barbarian will go down pretty fast. In addition they have a projectile that shoots out and when it reaches a point, all units in that area will die if they don't move out of the way.

Just working on what the last bosses should be now; check my signature if you have idea.

Level 9
Added a screenshot of the latest boss I'm working on.

I'm also going to start compiling a list of changes in this post (I'll edit it later). This is all the stuff coming up in the next version.

PATCH NOTES v.0.12a
- Hero ranges have been normalized
- Various tweaks to bosses
- NEW BOSS! Tidebaron and his minions are now ready for brave adventurers.
- Added two new talismans
- Skill now provides more Resistance Chance, while items provide less
- Various bug fixes
- The Hall of Death now forces the party to complete it before they can move anywhere else
- Changed the way Vicious Strike works, and added a taunting factor to the Druid's Maul spell

Last edited:
Level 9
Updated.

All bosses have now been completed.

I'll be spending the rest of the time making fine-tunes here and there, optimizing where I can, fixing bugs, adding new items, and even adding new spells.

I'll be putting some patch notes of the next version here.

PATCH NOTES v0.12b
- You will receive an error message when trying to resurrect someone that is in the progress of being revived.
- You can no longer heal dead targets.
- Golem boss now drops a Revival Potion
- Fixed an issue that caused some Ghosts to not appear in the Hall of Dead until getting dangerously close to them
- Frost Death no longer deals MAGIC damage, it is now TRUE damage. (TRUE damage cannot be resisted)
- New system in the works: To add emphasis to dual-specializations for each class, you can now replace certain abilities with other ones. For example, a shaman could replace his Healing Wave with a more Offensive ability called Nature's Quarry. As I get more spells ready for the system, it'll be released.
- Fixed a bug that caused the Rock Giant boss to not grab his War Club.
- Dragon Hatchlings now correctly explode, and Dragon Turtles will now explode into Dragon Hatchlings.
- Heroes can now Attack destructables without right clicking.

On a side note, how do I get my map Approved?

Last edited:
Level 14
Updated.

All bosses have now been completed.

I'll be spending the rest of the time making fine-tunes here and there, optimizing where I can, fixing bugs, adding new items, and even adding new spells.

I'll be putting some patch notes of the next version here.

PATCH NOTES v0.12b
- You will receive an error message when trying to resurrect someone that is in the progress of being revived.
- You can no longer heal dead targets.

On a side note, how do I get my map Approved?

Me is try this now xD
Well, will try testing it.. Good luck, by the way.

Level 1
Excuse me but i encountered a bug while playing your game a few minutes ago. I'm sorry but i have no replay but it ended up having a Fatal Error message shown. My game had 4 players [including me]. It consisted of a Barbarian, Priest, Soceress and Archer. We played til the lich boss (2nd boss) and it died within SECONDS. Yes, seconds. We have no idea why and im sure its kind of a bug. I just used my talisman [-15armor and does 175 damage] and I am not sure was it the cause of the bug. After the lich was killed, we went to the next stage and after killing a few of the monsters there [ about 2-4] a fatal error occurred.

Once again, sorry i have no replay :[

Edit: Map was v0.12a

Last edited:
Level 1
Excuse me but i encountered a bug while playing your game a few minutes ago. I'm sorry but i have no replay but it ended up having a Fatal Error message shown. My game had 4 players [including me]. It consisted of a Barbarian, Priest, Soceress and Archer. We played til the lich boss (2nd boss) and it died within SECONDS. Yes, seconds. We have no idea why and im sure its kind of a bug. I just used my talisman [-15armor and does 175 damage] and I am not sure was it the cause of the bug. After the lich was killed, we went to the next stage and after killing a few of the monsters there [ about 2-4] a fatal error occurred.

Once again, sorry i have no replay :[

Edit: Map was v0.12a

The bug you encountered with the fatal error happend when sorceress casts magic missile on tempress. I think it happens when she uses the healing ability (green glow) and MM is cast on her. I encountered this bug two times.. And with lich idk.

Level 14
Okay , this map is damn awesome.
Played with some guys until ghouls part, then there was too much ghouls&zombies, we died .. :) Guess lack of experience.
Too bad, we can only save past 4th boss :(

Level 9
Okay , this map is damn awesome.
Played with some guys until ghouls part, then there was too much ghouls&zombies, we died .. :) Guess lack of experience.
Too bad, we can only save past 4th boss :(

Yes, not a lot of people have gotten that far. Usually that's at the 1ish hour mark, that's why the save system is there. So that people won't have to dedicate up to 3 hours to beat the game, but can take it in pieces.

Wait, Verrokh is a Naga?

Yes, the final boss picture is here.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...344126-dungeon-crawler-cavern-chaos-final.jpg

Level 14
Okay. Here's what is going on.
We passed the second boss, I was barbarian, we had two clerics, one ranger, one barbarian(me), two shamans, and one druid.
After the second boss, we met the golem boss which was invulnerable, and hopefully did not attack us.
We found Temptresses. At some part, a temptress attacked, and I casted Battle taunt (at the same time) and game crashed. There was also another spell caster but I don't know which.
Please fix the crash!
Note: We passed many rooms.We all were lvl 15.

Level 1
its the magic missile bug, btw, i need a guide or maybe some hints to get pass the 4th boss, which is the one will potently cast sacrifice on my party members including me, any suggested way to down it before he cast the spell?

Level 9
Okay. Here's what is going on.
We passed the second boss, I was barbarian, we had two clerics, one ranger, one barbarian(me), two shamans, and one druid.
After the second boss, we met the golem boss which was invulnerable, and hopefully did not attack us.
We found Temptresses. At some part, a temptress attacked, and I casted Battle taunt (at the same time) and game crashed. There was also another spell caster but I don't know which.
Please fix the crash!
Note: We passed many rooms.We all were lvl 15.

Thanks Herian.

I've been playing SC2 beta a lot so I haven't had a lot of time to work on the map. However this is a big issue that I'd like to get to the buttom of, but I haven't been able to get a group of testers together to test exactly what the conflict is. I'll try to track it down but it'll take some time.

Level 14
Overload said magic missile was a sorceress spell? We had no sorceresses. And I casted Battle Taunt, no magic/arcane missile.

Level 9
On a side note, if you were able to cast the spell, it isn't the source of the crash. Only if the game crashes AS soon as you click the spell. From what I gather it is also a target-spell, not AoE but I'm note sure. (I'm basing this on a previous bug I fixed that would also cause the game to crash).

Just download the new version and let me know if it still happens.

I just did a single player test and tested all Barbarian spells, in different order variations and with/without the Charm debuff on the enemy.

i need a guide or maybe some hints to get pass the 4th boss, which is the one will potently cast sacrifice on my party members including me, any suggested way to down it before he cast the spell?

Sacrifice is almost instant kill unless you have really good healers. However, if you have more than 1 priest, it should be no problem. As soon as Sacrifice kills someone, the Priest can resurrect that person before he casts another Sacrifice. It think the CD on Sacrifice is 30 seconds. If he happens to use it on your tank, then have someone "sub" tank, such as an Archer or a Druid while a Priest gets the tank back up.

Level 14
Overload, I think, what could be good for that sacrifice spell, is to make the boss say something (floating text) before he casts it, which will make the priest aware and let him run + let him prepare the spell to cast against someone. Also will wake up sleepy guys.

And yes, I was able to cast the spell. Sorry for not having said so before.

Level 9
Overload, I think, what could be good for that sacrifice spell, is to make the boss say something (floating text) before he casts it, which will make the priest aware and let him run + let him prepare the spell to cast against someone. Also will wake up sleepy guys.

There is huge yellow text that pops up on screen. The spell is also really graphic, with a huge green aura appearing on the target unit. If players don't get it even after both of those indicators, then I don't think they deserve to get pass the boss :)

Level 14
Well, that's good, okay. Yeah right, if they don't see those, that means they're blind, so let it go.. :p

Level 1
Well, if you wanna see a replay of completing the first 4 bosss, check out my replay.
I'm here to report a bug as well, check my replay its at the end at the dragon turtle part. My priest died and there was this "fireworks" (its what i called it) and there was this massive spam of holy nova when he died and casted it at the same time ;D

Suggestion: ( something else )
This is about the dragon turtles, their seriously overpowered. 1 small hatchling dies and boom, 1 hit ko to all? I suggest make it around 500 damage or so or it will be impossible to complete the game.

Attachments

• cav bug.w3g
    391.9 KB · Views: 162
Level 9
If you fix it, please V.M - P.M me, I'd like to test again.

Fix which bug?

Well, if you wanna see a replay of completing the first 4 bosss, check out my replay.
I'm here to report a bug as well, check my replay its at the end at the dragon turtle part. My priest died and there was this "fireworks" (its what i called it) and there was this massive spam of holy nova when he died and casted it at the same time ;D

Suggestion: ( something else )
This is about the dragon turtles, their seriously overpowered. 1 small hatchling dies and boom, 1 hit ko to all? I suggest make it around 500 damage or so or it will be impossible to complete the game.

Thanks for playing my map.

Regarding the dragon turtles, as long as you range them, no one dies, so they are actually really easy. That's why their armor is so high; they are meant to be damaged down by magic spells which ignore armor. I plan on increasing their levels though so you get XP off them.

I also looked at your replay, but didn't see any Holy Nova spam near the turtles... In fact you didn't even die near the turtles? It was an older version though and I haven't come across it in the newer ones, so I don't think it would happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.