• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Snippet] Spell

Level 31
Nah, think of it like the instance of a spell that was cast ^)^.

Imagine that all of the spells on a hero, when they are run, use this to instance the spell rather than cast from the hero. This allows a hero to possibly cast multiple spells at once.

edit
Changed IsSpell to

function IsSpellDummyCaster takes unit caster returns boolean

Try using this as a demo to show people what their spells would look like while using SpellStruct and Spell.

You can even add a slow effect to units so you can show people how the size would probably be much less even with /more/ stuff in it ;D

edit
Also, I renamed the thread to fix that lowercase 's' in the title.
It was quite annoying.

Level 31
Eh... I'm not rewriting your spell for you >.>.

The thing I was thinking about were spirits with life drain that healed the caster by draining the life of enemies ; D. As they upgraded, they could have more life drain links. They could also connect multiple life drains with 1 unit ;p.

I was also thinking of stuff similar to the combat in SC2, but realized you could do a lot of that pretty easily with barrage.

Level 31
I'm not doing an example other than the one given -.-. I don't believe in demonstrations other than to demonstrate proper use of the API, and I will not support said demonstrations. If people can figure out good ways to use it, then they can use it. If they can't, they can't.

edit
and btw, you only need to consider things like chain lightning before you can understand even the most basic uses for this

My job, as the resource creator, is only to show the API (how to generally use the system) and to make sure it is bugfree. It is not to tell people what it can be used for/how it can be used, that's up to the users, and I will never do that. Sometimes, as a bonus, like in the save/load stuff, I will show possible uses, but that is purely a bonus, something I optionally did. Demanding me to do something that I consider optional is going to get you nothing. I'm not going to code an entire resource that will take up many hours of time to prove this usefulness of this one, that's just absolute bs. I will also say that I think requiring that is also absolute bs and is also contradictory: telling someone to use an unapproved resource in an extremely complicated (as you wanted) submission.

If the above didn't make my stance apparent, I'll say it very clearly. Under no circumstances am I going to write a demo for this. It's extra work that I don't feel like doing, so too bad. Also, all of the stuff that disables unit indexing needs to be changed around anyways... things should only disable unit indexing if they are purely for visual effects that have absolutely no data : \, otherwise it adds complexity to things like a DDS and makes Unit Indexing slower and pointless due to those complexities. I'm not going to be performing all of these needed updates as I find it to be a waste of time. As such, I recommend that you throw these resources somewhere for people to fix: they shouldn't be giving their own indexes. These systems include Dummy, Spell, and w/e other ones I can't think of atm. Furthermore, the basic DDS system (DamageEvent) does need one fix (not buggy, but extra operations that are pointless).

edit
Also, when I have judged something as useless, I have explained why. You aren't doing that in the slightest at all. I even gave you a use for it that something like the original DummyCaster would fail at. Furthermore, something is also useless if there are better alternatives, but there aren't better alternatives. You're simply demanding a demo that I'm not going to do and that I will always regard as, whether it's in the rules or not (a rule I'd thoroughly disagree with and would never follow: yes, even bonuses would be gone), optional.

edit
My recommendation is to graveyard DamageEvent and everything that uses it, Spell, Dummy, Timer Tools, and Missile Recycler. Aura Struct as well as it uses Timer Tools. Also, graveyard all of the other damage stuff I didn't mention. The reason is that DamageEvent needs a fix, Spell/Dummy assign their own indexes to units and Timer Tools has a bug. The likelihood of me fixing all of that stuff is very slim, which is why it's just better to gy it all and wait for someone to come along and fix them (although it's highly unlikely, and if they do, they are likely to crappify those resources).

Last edited: