• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Customizing Armor and Attack types

Level 3
Customizing Armor and Attack types
By Jayce, thanks to YoshiRyu and RED BARON for help and suggestions.

Hi all here comes my first tutorial, as promised.
I encountered a problem about armor and attacks customization and decided I will explain it for future mappers :).

I will first speak about icons customization then about the tooltips customization.
And finally how to change the standard damage ratio that each attack types do to different armor types.

The screenshots I am posting there are from a french WE, but I think you will be able to find the match in your
langage as I will try to be the more precise I can.

1 - Icons Customization :

First of all, where do we modify things to make custom attacks and armor ?
Open your map in World Editor (WE) and go to the menu :

Advanced => Game Interface

Here you will be able to change the standard armor and attack types related icons with imported ones. See the screenshots below :

As you can see to modify things here you must select the option "Use custom interface".
To see exactly which line to modify select the other option too (maybe in english : "Show value as data"). This will allow
you to see the technical name of the variable containing the value instead of its description.

tuto1.jpg
tuto2.jpg

2 - Tooltips Customization :

The second thing you will be able to do in this "Game Interafce" screen is to edit the values of tooltips.
See the exemple in the screenshots below :

tuto3.jpg
tuto4.jpg

Don't forget I am not showing you the whole lines on the screenshots, and the data is not exactly sorted out
So don't forget some modifications, once you understood the technic.

3 - Damage output Customization :

The most important thing to do is to custom the damage each attack types will do to each armor types.
For this go to the menu :

Advanced => Game Constants

There you will find those lines, see screenshot below :

tuto5.jpg

Seeing this you can't know what number is corresponding to what armor type.
Well no problem just see the table bellow which gives the exact match between standard W3 armor and attacks :

tuto6.jpg

All this done you have your attack/armor customised, of course it will still need some testing and some tries before you find
the exact icons/tooltips/attacks modifications, but well the work is nearly done.

I hope this will help some of you !

Sincerely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
Thank you, if someone can do screenshots on english WE i will be glad to replace mines.
I am sorry for spelling errors, as you know english is not my mother tongue, so if you want to tell me what are the errors i will correct them.

Level 35
Hmm okay here are those, I found (again doesn’t really matter for the tutorial)

bellow = below
i = I (when you talk about yourself)
Game interafce = Game interface (you just hit wrong key)
So don't forget some modifications, once you understood the technic.
In this sentence, understood should actually be understand.

Oh and then you miss some: , but never mind those :smile:

About English screens of those… only do that if people complain about it.