• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My Map's Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I would like to show some screens of the terrain in my map. Would anyone mind telling me what i could improve or change? Please remain to the fact that this is going to be a custom map :)

Attachments

• Terrain 3.jpg
    Terrain 3.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 251
  • Terrain 4.jpg
    Terrain 4.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 269
  • Terrain 5.jpg
    Terrain 5.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Terrain 2.jpg
    Terrain 2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Terrain.jpg
    Terrain.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 261
Level 34
It's actually decent, but it looks like you've only started. You need to use far more doodads for a better looking terrain. Place plants and other suitable objects along the rocks, and even in the middle if it looks good. Right now it's just too plain.

Level 3
I wanted to fill the texture next to the sorceress in any way, so i chose to make hearts, cause of their symbolism and they fit well into the story of my map :)
I've also replaced both the rough dirt and the ordinary dirt, with some rough dirt from Outlands, and it looks way better. I'll update the pictures in a little while.

Level 3
I've changed some things in the terrain. The rough dirt is out and i added some new doodads. I didn't want to overdo the doodads as the units are supposed to walk on the roads. But here's the new screens. Please compare them to the older and give me your opinion :) Thanks.

Attachments

• Terrain new 3.jpg
    Terrain new 3.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Terrain new 2.jpg
    Terrain new 2.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 86
  • Terrain new.jpg
    Terrain new.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Terrain new 4.jpg
    Terrain new 4.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 108
Level 3
It's a hero defense I've been working on in the holidays. I've almost got everything set. Just need to add some waves and abilities, etc. So hopefully it'll be out within soon.

Level 34
Let me try it after u release this map...XD

Btw,it's seem too "red" to me,hurting my eyes.
And your yellow seems to be hurting my eyes.

For the terrain...

I don't care for the trees chosen. I'd use more of the outland stuff. As well Elendors idea of crystals would be nice. Perhaps some tinted river rushes and those outland plants would look nice.

Level 3
I've added some different outland plants. But I'm not much into recoloring some of the spikes. I like em as they are and i can't seem to find any logical explanation for the spikes to have different colors :p besides the spikes looks weird when recolored, not as natural. I don't have in mind adding too many doodads on the roads neither, as units are walking the roads and I don't want the roads too crowded. If anyone wants me to, I could add some new pics showing the plants i placed, and then come with some supportive criticism.

One other thing though. Gilles, what do you mean with tinted river rushes, I don't seem to have heard of so. Could you explain further? :) Thanks.

Level 34
For the river rushes, you go into object editor, go to the color tinting. Take out a bit of the green and blue, leave the red. Not too much, just a bit. Then put them all around. It may not look nice, I don't know.

Level 3
I didn't realize that river rushes were a shrub :p But they're tinted and on now, and they give a good contrast to all the red. I've decided not to do much more about the terrain, so I'll post what i call my final screens of the map, for those who might be interested. Please feel free to comment or criticize the screens.

And thanks, all of you who helped me, for the supportive criticism and help. I like the look of my map so much more now. I would also like to add some screens of what my map looked like before i realized how bad it was :) It's the same places all over.

Attachments

• Terrain Final 2.jpg
    Terrain Final 2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 100
  • Terrain Final 5.jpg
    Terrain Final 5.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Terrain Final 4.jpg
    Terrain Final 4.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Terrain Final 3.jpg
    Terrain Final 3.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Terrain Final 1.jpg
    Terrain Final 1.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 115
  • Terrain Final 6.jpg
    Terrain Final 6.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Old crap 1.jpg
    Old crap 1.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Old crap 2.jpg
    Old crap 2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Old crap 3.jpg
    Old crap 3.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 64
  • old crap 4.jpg
    old crap 4.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Old crap 5.jpg
    Old crap 5.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Old crap 6.jpg
    Old crap 6.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 85
Level 35
My friend, sorry for not comming along and saying this before, but i LOVE that outland terrain of yours, at least these last pics, and for the forest, well, it needs more work, more doodads and so on, but i trust you can do as well there as you did on the outland thing ^^

Level 3
Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it :) But the forest was what the outland terrain looked like before i re-terrained it. Its just an older version of my map, and I'm most likely going to delete it :p

Level 3
You really think so? :O

I like the yellowish color, cause they give a nice contrast to all those red spikes. I'll try it out though. Who knows, it might turn out to look better :)

Level 35
You really think so? :O

I like the yellowish color, cause they give a nice contrast to all those red spikes. I'll try it out though. Who knows, it might turn out to look better :)

Contrast is not a good thing my friend, when it comes to terrain it should be realcsing, and dus everything want to blend, you dont have to do THAT much about it, maybe just tint it a BIT darker... maybe...

Level 34
Contrast is not a good thing my friend, when it comes to terrain it should be realcsing, and dus everything want to blend, you dont have to do THAT much about it, maybe just tint it a BIT darker... maybe...
Yes and no. Contrast can't be generalized as bad, it's situational. Meaning it can be good sometimes, and bad others. I would agree a tiny bit darker may look better, but it's not too bad right now.

Looking at it again, I'd say that up close the contrast looks bad, but zoomed out a bit, and in the normal game cam, it looks good to me.

Level 3
I changed the color of the river rushes and they fit better in the terrain now imo. So i guess my map's terrain is complete. Thanks everyone for your help. Now there's just for you to wait and see it in-game :)

Level 35
Yes and no. Contrast can't be generalized as bad, it's situational. Meaning it can be good sometimes, and bad others. I would agree a tiny bit darker may look better, but it's not too bad right now.

Looking at it again, I'd say that up close the contrast looks bad, but zoomed out a bit, and in the normal game cam, it looks good to me.

In a matter of terraining, can you tell me sir Gilles, when is contrast a GOOD thing? :p

Level 34
In a matter of terraining, can you tell me sir Gilles, when is contrast a GOOD thing? :p

Well, forswhisper made a terrain all on contrast. :p

As well, sometimes colors just look good contrasted. For example, Void made a terrain once upon a time where a flower was growing on a small patch of grass, and there was snow everywhere else. The flowers color and the grass contrasted the snow, but it gave it a good effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.