• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I hope this is the correct section, first off. I don't make many threads, but I do believe this is right.

I want to ask everyone what they think of the terrain I'm in the process of making for my newest project (Lord of the Rings: The Banished.. tentative name). It's about Beleriand after the Dagor Aglareb but before Dagor Bragollach. Anyway. I wanted some opinions on what I was doing right and wrong. I'm not a terrainer and any comments would be useful. I attached the map and some screen shots. Also I attached a picture of one of the maps that I'm working off of.

EDIT: Also, by no means do I think I'm done, I just wanted some opinions on what I can change/add for the terrain so far.

EDIT2: New/different screenshots added, removed the map file, as it's not the one I'm working off of anymore.

Attachments

• map1[1].jpg
    map1[1].jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Map 3.jpg
    Map 3.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 175
  • Entrance to Nargothrond.jpg
    Entrance to Nargothrond.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Full View.jpg
    Full View.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 136
  • Gondolin and Dorthonian.jpg
    Gondolin and Dorthonian.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Himring.jpg
    Himring.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 299
  • Maglor's Gap.jpg
    Maglor's Gap.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 159
  • More of the river.jpg
    More of the river.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 82
  • Mountains 1.jpg
    Mountains 1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Mountains of Hithlum.jpg
    Mountains of Hithlum.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Level 34
You barely have anything done. Don't show overview like that as we can't see anything. Give up close shots, or overviews of a smaller area.

Level 14
Added New screen shots, sorry it took so long, working off of two different computers.

I mostly wanted advice w/ my mountains and rivers, as I've never really done them before. I know it's lacking of doodads for the most part, but I want to get the actual terrain down before I move onto that.

I've only recently started to read the tutorials on terraining, because so far, the only other map I've been working on was a Hero line war and doesn't need opulent terrains to be good. All other maps I've worked on have gone to scrap because I could never exactly get the terrain how I would have liked it.

Level 12
Eh, heres some advice I learned

Dont use cliffs, they make the terrain look ugly :p

Just use raise/lower tool and use rocky tilesets to make them look like rocky mountains.

Use cliff types for outlining the shores of your terrain.

Level 14
The mountains were made with raise tool, and the rivers with the lower tool. The cliffs are there to stop units from getting over mountains, because that would be bad. I know they look ugly, but so do doodads placed at the top.

EDIT: what do you mean cliff-type for outlining the shores.

Level 14
I'll look at it.

What did you mean cliff-type at the shores? I specifically did the rivers/ocean like that for a reason. It looks better.

Level 14
Ahhh ok. Well thanks, I'll look into the pathing blockers. I knew about them, just never really bothered to use them.

Level 14
Ah, well ok. Thank you. I'll try to start using them. And Yeah i wanted to use rocky/snowy tile-sets but the cliffs got in my way. Thanks.

Level 14
Sorry for double post.

Ok Added changes and Screenshots:
1.) No more Blizzard cliffs
2.) Added more/different tiles
3.) Started to do some Doodad placement

Level 34
It's looking quite good. Although that 's the easy part, now you have to make it pretty with doodads.

Level 14
Thanks! I know lol I'll be updating it eventually. I only have time to work on it at night so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.