• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Top TD Maps EVER?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I read the RPG thread and I guess i'll make my own thread.

The tower defense. Probably my favorite kind of map in warcraft3. I was wondering your opinions about the top TD maps ever.

Feel free to submit your letter grades!

Poker TD - The grand daddy of Gem TD, not as much towers/etc, but still one of it's kind. Not as high ranked as element or gem TD because it isn't as complicated and doesn't have as much replay value as maybe those have.
A

Wintermaul - Probably changed the TD itself. Not ranked as high as maybe element or Gem TD because it didn't have any very special features.
A

Element TD - One of the most well made TDs there are. Would have been an A++ if maybe it would have been a maze TD. before you burn me on this statement, i have to say that i think maze tower defenses are almost always better than ones without mazes. it creates a whole new dimension. however, the game might not have fit as well it was maze. but to be honest, you don't need to listen to my statement. Just play the game! =p.
A+

Gem TD - Although the terrain is somewhat took from cube defense, it is still a one of it's kind td. Could have gave it An A++ if it thought of a new terrain that would fit gem td as well as the Cube defense one, and would be different.
A+

I probably missed some, but these are the ones that I have played.

The next ones aren't "the best td ever" but still very good TDs IMO.

Artifact TD - Very fun, good system with the save and load, but the terrain is a bit stolen.Also, it does get old when you get 1000 + points and have the best maze you possibly can get.
B

Shopping Maul - Great td with the points system, well made, however it has a maul system, and nothing really new. and although a different maul, it is still a maul.
Update : after playing Shopping Maul again, I gained some respect for it. The xp system is better then the first time i played it, and it is incredibly well thought. It seemed like a very good TD before, now it is an awesome TD.
B+

Switch TD - If anyone has played this before, they know that it is a well made td, that had a unique system, and is very fun. However, I didn't change TDs like the top tiers have. And even though the combination lane system was very well thought through, I think it maybe could have been employed into the map a tiny bit better.
B

eeve TD - The creator put alot of effort into it, it looks very good. However, the lack of tower selection and the fact that it is a very very new td somewhat hinders its rankings.
Update: Moved eeve TD up rankings a bit, after some thought. Yes it is new and there are like 5 towers per element, but I think the system more than makes up for it.
B

*Power Towers - I put this on the list solely because it had a new, unique system that was addictive. however, the terrain is basically 100% plagiarized.
Update: Played it some more. I was more impressed with the system after I played it. However, the game can get incredibly boring after 30, if you have a good maze, that is.
B-

*Rune TD - This shouldn't even be on the list because of it's horrible creep balance, and it the whole life system isn't thought through. However, i just want to note the excellent rune system. It could have been so much better if the creator put some effort into the creep balance. what a shame.
Update :
I just played the new version, and I have to say I am more impressed with the creep balance. However, the thing still is that until level 9ish, you can't die, period. Also, at level 20ish the game almost always fatals.
B-/B
Very borderline between B- and B.

That is my list, i bet i missed some obvious ones, but these are the ones on my mind atm. What is your list?

Notes : I didn't put zoator TD on the list because i never really played it. It looks really well made, but i've never played it.No tower wars, just Tower Defense. Green td and Mafarazo TD are not quality TDs, you just spam siege towers, then spam aura, then spam air.

Sept 12th, 08.

Revamped the system, added a letter grade then I changed some opinions about the TD.

Maybe I'll add cube defense later, but i only played it briefly once so far, i can't really rate it yet.

and once again, feel free to submit your OWN letter grades!

Last edited:
Level 2
I played island TD before, it was so freaking hard rofl, i couldn't even beat like 10 levels.

btw i've never played circle defense before, is it good?

Level 2
I can't find the circle TD. I checked on epicwar and hiveworkshop but all I see is team circle td, and green circle TD o_o.

nvm i found it.

Level 36

fail-24.jpg

I like Element TD the best but I don't play TD maps a lot.

Level 2
Good, I'm running out of TD's.

It's like drugs, i need quality fix. I can't get high on green td / shit td's.

Level 36
My favourite is Gem TD. It basically is the best. Period. Poker TD can't even compare.

Wintermaul sort of created the Maul genre, which is a good thing and a bad thing. the good thing is that the very first version (The only one 'the Duke' ever made) was a good TD. The bad thing is that every other Maul ever made sucks ass.

Island TD was hard as shit but interesting, too small for any good mazing though.

Green TD was fun but too easy.

Element TD was alright... a little too short... and sometimes unbalanced.

Level 2
Was is the key word.

in ele 4.0 it's way better, it's pretty hard now.

i don't get how poker td can't compare. it's a classic, although simple it really had a lasting impact.

i don't agree that Gem TD is the runaway best td candidate. first of all, extreme race is easy, with a simple maze it is very easy to beat. and basically, all you had to do is get a tiny bit of luck in gem mixing, and just mass freaking ancient slates.

also, if you guys have never tried switch td, and rune td, and power towers etc, it is a must. seriously, try them. i keep hearing the main discussion about gem td and element td, which are probably better then those.

i also revamped my list to look sexier, with letter grades.

Last edited:
Level 2
Just_Spectating :

stackerz td was pretty damn fun. guess i maybe could put it on my list, but it didn't have anything too special, just a standard well done td.

Squiggy :

So basically, element TD is too easy because you refuse to play a harder version?

i c.

Status
Not open for further replies.