• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that's a sight. What kind of game will it be?

It will be a space-exploration mystery horror game. Everything will be story related, I wont spoil anything else. :)

Yes it will use keyboard system, since it is in cinematic mode essentially. Action keys will include; ESC, Spacebar, Left Arrow, Right Arrow, Up Arrow and Down Arrow. There is also a tool among the community that can change arrow keys into WASD buttons. :)

Level 25
I have decided to redo my contest entry, here is my first new WIP;
4iyide.png

Oh my.

Not even the prospect of arrow keys is making me dislike this so far.

While I'm a very vocal opponent of arrow keys, I think it can work in this map - depending on how quick the gameplay is.

If it's a fast-paced dogfighting game, it will be terrible. If it's a slower, more RPG-like experience, then it I think it could be very good.

There is also a tool among the community that can change arrow keys into WASD buttons. :)

The main problem with arrow keys is the input delay. The position of the arrow keys is just a minor annoyance. The input delay makes maps completely unplayable on battle.net, and even offline there's a huge loss of precision and reaction time.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I have decided to redo my contest entry, here is my first new WIP;
4iyide.png

Can't believe my eyes ^^ Reminds me of Illidan(Evil)X's space shooter project for sc2

Level 10
My Final Entry

This is my final entry for the contest. I hope you've been good !
PLAY HARD

Map Type: Single Player
Objective: When you start the game everything is explained
Credits: All credit information and just press F9 in game

414t2.jpg

Attachments

• Play Hard.w3x
    12.5 MB · Views: 196
Level 25
This is my final entry for the contest. I hope you've been good !
PLAY HARD

Map Type: Single Player
Objective: When you start the game everything is explained
Credits: All credit information and just press F9 in game

414t2.jpg

- The starting camera has a gigantic pillar in the way. You could chop the pillar model in half, and add a system that hides the top half when the camera is in certain positions. Same issue with the walls at the bottom.
- Slam hotkey isn't Q. Tooltip's text colour is impossible to read when it goes dark grey.
- Blue ground tiles contrast badly with the red/orange walls.
- Slam's knockback duration is long and awkward. Knockback is also applied to dead units.
- Zombie disease cloud blocks movement. Not sure if this was intentional.
- When the boss cast mirror image near the top wall, the illusion spawned inside the wall. It's possible for the boss to get trapped outside like this.

Level 25
Technically my entry is done, but I kind of want to add more items/gamemodes.

It is a game involving firing mortars directly at your target without considering arcing and stuff.

Play with 2 or more players. The more the merrier!

View attachment 136146

Fired some mortars and fatal'd after a few seconds. Vision range is also extremely small, removing the aspect of aiming or dodging.

Level 4
Fired some mortars and fatal'd after a few seconds. Vision range is also extremely small, removing the aspect of aiming or dodging.

There should be some 'vision tower items' scattered around the map. Keep searching.

Vision is a huge theme/resource in this map. There is an item that causes your mortars to reveal the area where they explode.

It is kind of like Pudge Wars in a way. You have to guess and hopefully get something that provides you with some visual information.

Mortars are pretty slow too unless you get the Mortarocket upgrade.

Oh, and don't kill yourself with your own mortar. Lol. They have a pretty big blast range.

Though you have a point: I better increase the vision range slightly.

Level 25
I get that vision limitation can be a big theme and allow for other cool features, but allow me to share my experience in a map I made, Mortar Run (in my sig). All players have vision of the whole map. On the surface, it's a simple case of firing your mortar at a location, taking into account the distance. However, the target knows that you are trying to destroy him, so he'll actively try to avoid running in a straight line to dodge your attacks. After firing some mortars, you catch on to his strategy, and start to adjust your aim based on his dodging behaviour. This way, the game's main theme becomes a mental game between you and your opponent with a lot of bluffing and feinting involved.

When you have no vision, all you can do is fire mortars in random directions and hope for the best.

Btw, what I meant was that the game crashed with a fatal error.

Level 25
Busy looking through your triggers.

First issue (probably not the fatal problem):
  • Explode Mortars
    • Actions
      • Set tempgroup[0] = (Units owned by (Owner of (Casting unit)) of type Mortar)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempgroup[0] and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
          • Wait 0.50 seconds
          • Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_tempgroup[0])
The trigger won't remember what (picked unit) is after 0.5 seconds, and this will also leak the group.

You have a similar problem in the Projectile End trigger.

EDIT: You can replace your projectile end trigger with a nice and dirty fix: when you fire a mortar, add an expiration timer to it based on the distance to the target. Have the mortar explode trigger go off then a mortar dies.
So, if the distance to the target is 500 and your mortar speed is 100, you set the expiration timer to 5 seconds.

Level 4
EDIT: You can replace your projectile end trigger with a nice and dirty fix: when you fire a mortar, add an expiration timer to it based on the distance to the target. Have the mortar explode trigger go off then a mortar dies.
So, if the distance to the target is 500 and your mortar speed is 100, you set the expiration timer to 5 seconds.

Except that it will break the 'Explode Mortars' spell.

EDIT: I'm out.

Last edited:
Level 13
@frettory
Set tempgroup[0] = (Units owned by (Owner of (Casting unit)) of type Mortar)
Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempgroup[0] and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
Wait 0.50 seconds
Unit - Remove (Picked unit) from the game
Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_tempgroup[0])

Use MUI Function instead using wait

@rulerofiron99
can you explain why this trigger have leak?
IDK, maybe the wait action

Level 25
@rulerofiron99
can you explain why this trigger have leak?
IDK, maybe the wait action

The trigger runs every 0.07 seconds.

In the first iteration (0.00), the group is set, and the wait will cause it to destroy the group at (0.50).
However, the second iteration at (0.07) sets the group variable again, before the previous iteration has been destroyed. Now you have two group variables, and only one will be removed - after another 6 loops.

Once the first 7 iterations are done, it will stop leaking, since the group is destroyed as frequently as it is created. However, now we have the variable being destroyed before it is finished being used, which brings other problems.

As I said previously, it would be much simpler to just add an expiration timer, and redo the explosion trigger to go off on death.

Level 10
- The starting camera has a gigantic pillar in the way. You could chop the pillar model in half, and add a system that hides the top half when the camera is in certain positions. Same issue with the walls at the bottom.
- Slam hotkey isn't Q. Tooltip's text colour is impossible to read when it goes dark grey.
- Blue ground tiles contrast badly with the red/orange walls.
- Slam's knockback duration is long and awkward. Knockback is also applied to dead units.
- Zombie disease cloud blocks movement. Not sure if this was intentional.
- When the boss cast mirror image near the top wall, the illusion spawned inside the wall. It's possible for the boss to get trapped outside like this.

As I have not seen these bugs before, but now no longer because of the longer time step to deliver projects ready ... :ogre_rage::ogre_rage::ogre_rage::ogre_rage:

Level 9
My Final Entry

The Pandaren Tavern
Just relax and have a beer...
I'll put it on your tab! Hahaha!!

This will be my final entry..,
My second WIP of this map is in page 35 of this thread..,
There are so many good map makers here so I'm a bit down..,
hahaha..,
nevertheless I am hoping for this contest to end nicely..,
Good luck to all!!!

Attachments

• The Pandaren Tavern.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
You can code an image or an ubersplatt to appear over an area (something like the cracked ground after thunderclap). Also, you can add an ubersplatt to a model (e.g. footprints).

Is there a third method to project a high definition tile over a non-flat terrain?

Sorry, I don't think so. This is a model of already build-in terrain as an .mdx file. I still have to add walkable/ un-walkable path via other methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.