• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

johannesr's art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I started out as a terrainer for wc3 and did lots of landscapes in the wc3 editor. However i have now moved on to digital art, here are my latest works.

Also here's my deviantart: http://thephoenixdark.deviantart.com/

Attachments

• swamp3.png
    swamp3.png
    681.4 KB · Views: 435
  • The Path Less Travelled.png
    The Path Less Travelled.png
    876.5 KB · Views: 352
  • Serenity.png
    Serenity.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 324
  • The View.png
    The View.png
    869.6 KB · Views: 284
  • Monolith3.png
    Monolith3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 628
  • TheVisitor.png
    TheVisitor.png
    498 KB · Views: 213
  • Link To Another World.png
    Link To Another World.png
    578.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Storm Valley.png
    Storm Valley.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Speed1.png
    Speed1.png
    583.2 KB · Views: 229
  • Forest at Dawn2.png
    Forest at Dawn2.png
    494 KB · Views: 527
  • Mountains2.png
    Mountains2.png
    524.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Shack.png
    Shack.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 216
  • Forest2.png
    Forest2.png
    521.1 KB · Views: 197
  • Aztec Temple.png
    Aztec Temple.png
    803.1 KB · Views: 3,927
  • Dark Pathway.png
    Dark Pathway.png
    604.9 KB · Views: 434
  • Dark City1.png
    Dark City1.png
    562.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Swamp of Wonder.png
    Swamp of Wonder.png
    576 KB · Views: 829
  • Forest at Dusk2.png
    Forest at Dusk2.png
    586.5 KB · Views: 339
  • Planets1.png
    Planets1.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Jungle1.png
    Jungle1.png
    663.8 KB · Views: 205
  • Legacy1.png
    Legacy1.png
    821.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Walkway1.png
    Walkway1.png
    865.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Foggy Dawn.png
    Foggy Dawn.png
    815.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Moonlight1.png
    Moonlight1.png
    711 KB · Views: 257
  • TheGoldenBall.png
    TheGoldenBall.png
    678.5 KB · Views: 165
  • MushroomForest.png
    MushroomForest.png
    658.9 KB · Views: 168
  • Orb.png
    Orb.png
    499 KB · Views: 152
  • IntoTheLight.png
    IntoTheLight.png
    861.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Level 6
Well, I think, you have realy great ideas for your terrains, they all look original and awesome! :D But perhaps you need to sharpen your skills a bit more, and then you will get perfect. :)

Level 6
I like the picture, but I think u should adjust the lifghting in it, because the portal very bright, yet there is no sign of it on the main terrain :)

Level 4
Monolith but specially the visitor are really good. Is there a way to learn from your work? Like.. to see how you made those effects.

Level 17
A good thing to do is create a copy of the image and put blend mode to Overlay/Color Dodge w/e (in photoshop at least). It increases contrast and makes it look better :) Other than that i don't know what to tell you, it's just painting.

Also new one:
This land has been plagued with constant storms for centuries, earning its name: Storm Valley.

Level 35
I love the terrain-look and feel of your art mate.
- And I do have to inquire:

Do you make basic terrains of these before you draw them? :p

I must also say that my favorite is most definitively "The Visitor."
- But then again, I guess that could easily be deduced by anyone who knows my preferences.

Level 4
A good thing to do is create a copy of the image and put blend mode to Overlay/Color Dodge w/e (in photoshop at least). It increases contrast and makes it look better :) Other than that i don't know what to tell you, it's just painting.

Also new one:
This land has been plagued with constant storms for centuries, earning its name: Storm Valley.

That's actually a good tip :p and the new one "Storm Valley" is pure epic, keep it up! +rep

Level 4
Wow.. I wish you could livestream yourself while doing this work. It's really nice. The perspective of the light looks a bit weird to me, aswell one of the trees but still very nice.

Level 4
Did some mountain practice since i haven't worked with rock formations much.

I can see what you tried to do over there. The concept is pretty nice but i don't like this one to be honest. Specially the river, doesn't looks good.. like way too plain at my eyes. :ogre_rage:

But seriously, just livestream yourself and let us watch :grin:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
So this is were you've been lurking. Path less travelled and View (titles?) are damn fine.

Not liking the mountain scene though. Colours work well and tie together nicely, but the shapes and perspective makes the left side weak and meager to look at. I think this style of art is less suited for grand scope since it'll look a bit cursory.

Level 17
So this is were you've been lurking. Path less travelled and View (titles?) are damn fine.

Not liking the mountain scene though. Colours work well and tie together nicely, but the shapes and perspective makes the left side weak and meager to look at. I think this style of art is less suited for grand scope since it'll look a bit cursory.

Glad you like them, although The View didn't do so good on deviantart, it has the least views/favourites of all my stuff.

Hmm the left side used to be a huge mountain aswell, but i thought it looked better this way.
Anyway, i was just experimenting with the mountain one as i haven't really done many grand scope landscapes.

Thanks for the support everyone, i also added a new painting. I think it might be too dark, is it?

Level 4
Shack (12) is really nice, pretty good use of green color all around. But i don't like the last one, "forest" (13) i just don't like, can't explain at all. Is the way you put all those colors together, looks weird and makes no feeling to me.

Level 4
Wow, aztec temple is nice but "dark path-way" got me for real. I will say this one more time. Please livestream yourself while doing this work! :p +rep

Level 17
Thanks, i don't really want to stream tho because my creation technique is all weird sometimes and i redo some paintings alot. (The Shack took me like 3 days because i wasn't satisfied with it and im still kinda not) Also most of my paintings take at least 2 days to complete. Anyway, added Dark City.

Level 4
The spiral effect seems weird, like if it overides the buildings and not an effect over the city. But the concept is pretty good, i can see the distance between dirty ground and the actual city. That makes a great feeling while looking at it, makes me think the city is in a bleak place of the world.

Level 4
I don't like the last one, doesn't give me the impression of a "swamp". I don't know if you added some flowers or it's me being paranoic, but i don't get the feeling.

I though the spiral was over the city because of the "storm"/"lines" effect that is painted on the building all way down, because if the spiral comes from the building then that mix of lines seems really weird on the image.

Level 17
I wanted to make a more colorful and less monotone/depressing swamp this time.

The spiral actually was over the city originally, but i changed it last minute, but doesn't matter as im not gonna bother changing it anyway.

Level 4
Oh, maybe an air camere view of the swamp would allow you to play with more colors? Or light rays maybe..
I agree, not worth editing. Also the city is pretty much awesome itself.

I hope, soon enough i get a new computer so i can stop trying to judge your work like if i were better than you (pfft, i'm a total noob) and actually make some myself. Love the way you do these pictures. :p Non-stop!

TDR

TDR

Level 18
Work more on your fundamentals: perspective, color, lighting, composition. Right now your works look sloppy because you don't have a full understanding of the before mentioned things. Nonetheless, you are on the right path. You show great potential and just keep drawing a lot and get those fundamentals right, you'll get really good in the end. Looking forward to see your progress, cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.