1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Zephyr Contest #11

Discussion in 'Submissions Archive' started by TriggerHappy, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So the theme was decided already?

2. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I thought everyone chose Aura, unless I missed something?

I just want to get this contest started.

3. Tank-Commander

Tank-Commander

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Though the matter of date still hasn't exactly been addressed

4. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Not really. However,

Sure, I'll try my hand at it:

~Aura~

As your Champion enters the field of battle, you feel a surge of vigor; the very presence of your people's Hero swells the heart and lends encouragement! Intangibly, the Aura of this individual affects all who witness it.

Your task for this Zephyr Contest is to create a spell that primarily revolves around an Aura, here defined as a "Persistent effect upon nearby targets, which passively grants boon or bane, it being centered on the Hero". That would include:
    • Increasing/Decreasing Stats (i.e. Devotion (+armor), Endurance (+MS/+AS), Brilliance (+Mana Regen), etc)
    • Providing an extra (generally Passive) "Ability" to affected units (i.e. Thorns (gives Damage Reflection (ala Spiked Carapace)), or Vampiric (gives Lifesteal), etc)
    • Every X seconds have Y Effect occur (NO INGAME EXAMPLE; DOES THIS WORK?)
    • ANYTHING ELSE I MISSED?

This "Aura", however, may be utilized/brought about in a variety of ways, at the discretion of the user:
    • Always-On (i.e. most normal Auras)
    • Activated (Toggle) (i.e. Immolation (Damage-Over-Time Aura))
    • Activated (Temporary (i.e. Big Bad Voodoo (Invulnerability Aura)), or Starfall (Direct-Damage Aura))
    • I THINK THAT'S ALL?

Good luck!

Thoughts? Threw this together with help from Tank-Commander and Adikutz. Just a rough draft (especially the CAPSLOCK parts); agree/disagree with the parameters as described? Especially the definition. And I'm not so sure about "damage-dealing" auras like Immolation & Starfall (well, OK for Immolation, since it leaves a buff?)). Hmm...

P.S. Interestingly there are no "Offensive/Combat" Auras in the entirety of the regular Wc3 line-up; all Auras provide enhancement in some way or another. Strange... I wonder what that means?

5. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11

Wurst Reviewer

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I like everything. I prefer a more generalized description than an overly specific one. There are a finite number of passive abilities one can make following the style of warcraft.

It means blizzard is either lazy or did not think of any. It has nothing to do with balance. Edit: Actually, wouldn't Kodo War Drums be classified as offensive/combat?

6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I too prefer a generalized description, though it must be the average; too focused and you have (well, to be honest) the issue with a lot of our previous Zephyr Contests; waaaaay too focused ("Demonic"? "Assassination"? "Portal"?). Too general, and you have people making pretty much any spell. I hope this achieves the proper level of generalization (if anything, parts of it might be a tad too general, but I wanted to avoid the inevitably-boring results of a "regular Passive Auras" contest (really not a lot that can be done with that that hasn't already, IMO).

I don't know about that. I am fairly certain that Blizzard put oodles of thought into nearly every game decision (though I'd love to find some design documents that prove me right/wrong). I'm just not sure whether it was intentional or negligence, to start with.

And no. While the Kodo War Drums (& Command Aura) both enhance Attack Power (Damage), so does Trueshot... Thing is, it helps in combat, but it's not a purely "offensive" aura. By "offensive" I mean "lowering enemies stats" (rather than "enhancing friendly stats"). There are no in-game "negative Devotion" or "negative Command" auras, for example (plenty in custom mods, but none in Wc3).

7. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I thought there was gonna be a poll is all.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I agree; don't let my attempt at writing a thing for "Aura" let anyone think it's been decided. A Poll is no problem; have we suggested all the ideas we want (is the only question)?

9. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    What should the options be in the poll?

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well, why not just everything that's been suggested so far? I've heard Aura, Mechanical, Seduction, Blood Magic, etc etc... Make it a multi-vote poll if there are enough options.

//EDIT// And leave an option for "Other: Please Describe", so people can insert their own.

11. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Topic seems deadish, someone should just put a poll already or something.

12. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    *sigh*

13. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Then what about double-edge? Though Aura seems to be fit for the next contest because we haven't seen some Passive ability contest.

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    What about 'what'? I combed through the whole thread and didn't see that as a suggestion... But if you want, just vote "Other" and write in "Double Edge". I left that option for a reason. :p

15. Almia

Almia

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    :D
    Actually, Im going to stick with Aura :)

16. Kingz

Kingz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh... must be blind.

17. Quilnez

Quilnez

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools: