• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Zelda - Ocarina of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Better graphics, better gameplay, larger map, more space to ride Epona (or whatever you call your horse :D), more... everything. They took OoT and upgraded it, so it has everything it had plus many more.

Level 13
Not at all. You find yourself pleased with every new feature in TP, most of them being those things you wished for when you played OoT. For example, when I was a kid and played OoT, I always wondered why the Epona feature was so limited (you could actually beat the game without getting her), as there was hardly any space to ride and the only item you could use was the bow... while in TP Epona plays a major role, granting the player much more freedom when riding and being absolutely necessary to get from one place to another. As I said, TP is OoT taken a huge step further.

Level 14
OOT was great. However I liked Majoras mask more if it wasn't for the most retarded 3 days system that is in it. TP is like Masiah said, OOT v.2

Level 34
I didn't like TP at all. The story was dumb, as were the characters. Perhaps it gets better as you go, but I got sick of it too early to find out.

OoT was amazing, but I can't play it anymore since the graphics are so horrid.

Level 14
I didn't like TP at all. The story was dumb, as were the characters. Perhaps it gets better as you go, but I got sick of it too early to find out.

OoT was amazing, but I can't play it anymore since the graphics are so horrid.

lolwut, the story is the same in all zelda games.

Level 5
> I liked Majoras mask more if it wasn't for the most retarded 3 days system that is in it.
The game was built around the 3 days system. The game would've been very plain without it.

> lolwut, the story is the same in all zelda games.
Makes me wonder if you've ever played more than one Zelda game. I'd love to kick your ass for that statement.

I understand if people think like Gilles about the graphics. But when I start playing older games I don't even notice the ancient graphics. I just get used to it and enjoy the gameplay.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is still by far the best game I've ever played.

Level 14
> I liked Majoras mask more if it wasn't for the most retarded 3 days system that is in it.
The game was built around the 3 days system. The game would've been very plain without it.

Would it be plain without the 3 days system? Please send me a visitor message why so we don't go off-topic.

> lolwut, the story is the same in all zelda games.
Makes me wonder if you've ever played more than one Zelda game. I'd love to kick your ass for that statement.

Sorry, I meant pretty much the same in every zelda game. Just a little twist in each.

Level 8
I have a program on my computer called Project64 1.7 and it emulates N64 roms, in other words games. I play both OoT and MM on it and have clocked OoT several times but I haven't clocked MM as it is a bit anoying and to repetitive.
I originally played OoT on N64 but the graphics were a bit fuzzy, that could of been my TV but then when I downloaded Project64 1.7 and played it on that, the graphics were improved by alot.

Truly OoT is better than MM in every way, its rated 10/10 on Gamespot for heavens sake!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
OoT was pretty good. Although I have not finished it, I played it to near prefection and up to the final dungeon so I have a decent idea. It is still too over ratted in my opinion.

The shooting minigames are near impossiable unless you attach a dot on your screen to act as a targeter. All modern zeldas have this built in, so why the makers were so lazy back then I do not know as even the hookshot has a target marker.
Lame bosses, although I have not done the final boss sequence I did do twinrova and other such bosses and once you have guessed their attacks they are real jokes. Basically the first time you may die but the second time you will take no damage. Basically the bosses relied on having insanly powerful yet easy to avoid attacks.
Environmental shortcuts, I am not the only one peeved that the gient fish dissapears into thin air between past and future without explination from a small lake with no exits and the zora domain never defrosts even after finishing the dungeon and it saying it has defrosted.
Usless young link, yes he may not be able to wield the biggoron sword but really, the young link from MM would actually challenge the adult from OoT, unlike in OoT.
Some dungeons make little sense, namingly the deku tree and the fish. The fish's digestion was pretty confusing and certainly would have not been of any use to it. The tree had so many whole in it, no wonder it was dieing. It is a good thing they have avoided such dungeons since and gone for more plausable ones.
Rigged stab, everyone knows its rigged due to damage of last attack (even if its a spin attack or strong weapon) combined with nearly no CD at all and if you do not believe me watch the TAS where they kill bosses in 1 hit cycle with it.
1001 OoT bugs. Honestly as software developers they have some responsibility to give properly tested software. However as everyone knows OoT is buggy as hell. From bomb sliding at twice eponas speed all the way to breaking the entire sequence of the game and skipping whole dungeons. Yup OoT had them all.

Honestly due to the lack of patches or relreleases fixing the above, it does not diserve 10/10. Yes it is still enjoyable but nentindo does not care shit about it as even the virtual consol versions for Wii and the port for gamecube had the same if not worse bugs.

MM suffered from simlar problems, but generally a lot less.
Sequence breaking and bomb sliding / climbing glitches still existed but you could not do it to the extend with OoT.
Rigged stab of doom, now dealing 1.5* swords damage with even less CD. Whoever set the CD of the move was really dumb.
Annoying dungeon resets demanding you to repeat them. They should have allowed you to "autocomplete" tasks after you have done them a few times to save time.
Lame mask restrictions, Fierce Diety Link should be usable not just for the final battle.

TP also has flaws.
Usless items of once off crappiness. The top was so uber in the boss room but it is slower than walking outside... You also only have like a few placs after the main dungeon for you to use them.
Controls of nonrespondingness. "I ORDERED A SHIELD BASH NOT A BLOODY SPIN ATTACK. . . " pretty much says it all as the nunchuck often mixed those up with fatal results (link loosing 2 hearts). On top of this to dodge around badies was a fine art as the analogue stick based directions on camera and not links orination thus doging to the side often left you running straight into gannondorf or a darknuts sword... ouch... Both could have been fixed via hard button combos and proper direction orientation so the fault lies to the products defectiveness. I however liked the idea of being able to spinattack easilly without charging or praying you move the stick around correctly, however they should not map it to another simlar command like shieldbash with is equally as vital. Response times of shake controls were also to be desired.
Annoying minigames, they should make them easilly doable and the difficult parts as optional not the other way round.
AI of retards. The darknuts may seem insane when you see them unaided, however after watching a speedrun you soon realise you just wack them frontwards, walk around and pivot while slashing them to slices and they die in 3 cycles all the time. For their immense agility and awesome looks their AI is a real nonchallenge once you know their flaw.
Jewl encrusted piece of scrap metal for armor. The final armor which you spend long and hard getting and buying one would imagine to be good and worth it. However you still need to pay to use it. It may null damage to hearts, but not only does it drain 2 rupies per second to allow you to walk at a normal non iron boot rate, but it also drains 20-40 rupees per heart you lose and you still get sent flying and play annoying hit recovery during which you cant attack. Such a total waste of time to get and you will never use it unless you will die in 1 hit and absolutly have to (you have long run out of reheals and no hearts lieing around). Whoever thought that was worthy of being put in was a retard. Text time give us a 25% damage reducing armor anyday, or a 25% speed boosting armor, of which both would be far more ueful than that armor ever was. Should not drain constant rupees to use and should only drain them slightly when damaged for it to be actually worth using.
Mono Sword. I mean come on, OoT had 3, MM had 4, ALttP had 4. . . Yes you have 2 swords to choose from but that is hardly a choice when one clearly is better than the other in all ways and basically is needed. They should have added a 2 handed sword atleast for varied combat style.

Although I like zelda games, they do have quite a lot of problems with them which I am suprized do not hurt reviews. Ofcourse I recommend people playing them but I would not say that they are examples of perfect games. A perfect game should not have bugs, and should have some form of ballence to provide a full variety for gameplay.

An example of poor ballence is with TP armor
Hero of hyrule gives normal damage rates and no bonous. (general use)
Zora gives swim, unlimated air but double fire and electricity damage. (general water use, otherwise better to revert).
Gold or money or what ever, renders you unkillable but drains 2 rupees per second just to ware and drains vast numbers if any damage is taken. If out of rupees you are given heavyboot status rendering you usless in combat. Hit recovery still applies. (generally no use due to constant drain with no advantage at all, you burn through rupees pretty fast using it in combat due to additional drain from damage ontop of constant drain, only worth using as a final option). Basically a HP restore in a bottle is far more use than this piece of junk as it takes 1/8 of the time to refill and does not give you any penalty when empty.

I could use the stabe move from OoT or MM as another example but I am sure you are aware how totally rigged that is compaired to other sword attacks.

Epic 1300 word post.

Last edited:

HFR

HFR

Level 22
Wall of text above me :p

OoT is amazing, I enjoyed it since I first played the game in the N64 when I was 7. In 2005, I bought a old N64 just to play it again.

One reason that I like it is that, once you've heard the songs, you never forget them.

Level 34
r u srs?

You can't play an awesome game anymore just cause the graphics are outdated? You make me cry.
It all depends on the art/graphics. I can play Super Mario Bros. still, but it's hard to play Mario 64 since it just looks so bad.

I find most N64 games and PSX games are just too ugly to play anymore. I'm playing Star Ocean: The Second Story on PSX right now, and I don't like the art and graphics as much as the original Star Ocean for SNES.

Level 3
I thought TP and OoT were great, But what I absolutely hated about TP is that the bosses were easier to kill than the legions of units guarding them in their temples. I'M SERIOUS PEOPLE! I TOOK OUT GANONDORF'S FINAL BOSS PART WITH 3 HEARTS, ON MY FIRST TRY! The controls were easy, I could kill anything in that game but I can agree I could never use shield bash, no matter how hard I tried. Majoras Mask I can say was alright but it was absolutely retarded with 3 days, save, 3 days, save, 3 days. I don't know how you could even do a temple w/out running out of time. OoT was legendary, I enjoyed the entire game. Loved all the ocarina songs. And one more thing for TP: I loved the ending with how you defeat ganon with the sword, I won't reveal what you do but whoever knows I thought that was epic.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Um.... Controls being easy? Seriously they sucked in TP next to aiming. Waving a wii mote around is not easy or responsive. Ofcourse soon emulators will fix that where you can map 100% accurate wii motions onto buttons.

Maybe you were playing the gamecube version, which can be classed as unfair and cheating as you do not have to throw your nunchuck towards the TV at high speeds to preform a shield bash although it mostly does a spin attack.

Attacking was easy as you wildly through your wii mote around. However spin attacking was retarded. Often I orderd shield bash and got spin attack, and often I just stood there doing nothing because the spin attack did not respond suspite me rotating the nunchuk like it was in a mixer.

For the next zelda, I hope they map more attacks onto buttons rather than motions as buttons do not have delay or misinterpretations.

Level 3
No actually I didn't play the gamecube version, I don't have a gamecube because I can play GC games on the Wii :D so no need wasting money for one. I got the wii version of TP, and used the wiimote and nunchuk, and did very well. The controls weren't very hard for me because I almost never used the special abilities besides finish, sidestep parry thing and jumping up and hitting their heads.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Well sidestepping like I said was pretty poor, as you had like only a 15° tolerance before you went in the wrong direction at some angles. Especially since the camera never was always dead behind you it was easy to doge into your doom because the dam thing mistakes the direction you are issuing for being roll fowrd or doge backwards. The number of times gannondorf hit me because of this came to 8 hearts odd. Still it is pretty stupid that when you lock on to an opponent, it orientates the controls from the camera and not link, as that way straffing left would mean marely holding left and the same with the right.

Still found the TP darknuts totally awesome. The way they move was well worthy of a tough bady. Too bad once you learned that theair own block is their weakness they are easy. Basically equip bomb arrows, shoot their feet (as it hits them behind their armor due to their weakness being their feet and not back. Once armorless, simply run up to them, hit them once without targeting. They play their block animation which stuns them for a while. Walk behind them, as they are totally harmless while blocking, and then lock onto them. You pivot instantly around and as they are still blocking you have unhindered full axcess to their back. Slash away and the stun lets you get 3-4 hits in hits in. Repeat and you win. Pretty lame sadly. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8SFDFHQNyQ&feature=related
Although poor, this shows how weak their toughest bady becomes, and I believe simlar strats worked on gannondorf as well. How sad...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Yup.

Anyway for the future zelda, I want to see more fighting. 6-8 (with atmost 16 from bonous duengeon) darknuts per playthrough is far from enough. Windwaker was ok, with its epic battles against them all the time. But really I want to have to constantly fight them, or atleast be able to practice on them to be good at killing them.

Level 13
Darknuts in Windwaker were much easier to kill than in TP... The only part I found difficult (and somehow annoying) in the game was the infiltration into the baddie island, without sword and with the pig guys finding you even if you didn't move...
The rest of the game was easy... maybe a bit to easy.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That was annoying, but easy.
The hardest part I found was the stupid final part of puppet gannon for the hardest boss as it moved so fast. . .
The hardest battle was when you freed hyrule, the palace was overrun with like 8-12 darknuts.

In TP the darknuts are only harder because you seldomly had to fight them, if they were more common, then as the youtube showed you could pretty much mince them.

Level 2
I hated WW. I never did get to far in it. I beat OOT a million times. MM a milion times. Twilight Princess ONCE. I do not know what Dr. super good was talking about with the minigames. I was a excellent shot and found the games very easy.

Level 3
OoT for LIFE. I love that game so much. I've played every single LoZ game there has been made by Nintendo. The music is catchy, and you guys are right, they stick. TP I've only played once, so I'm not familiar with it.

The graphics of OoT are just as good as WW, MM, and a lot of games. Sure they are outdated, but it is fun to play never the less.

Level 8
OoT for LIFE. I love that game so much. I've played every single LoZ game there has been made by Nintendo. The music is catchy, and you guys are right, they stick. TP I've only played once, so I'm not familiar with it.

The graphics of OoT are just as good as WW, MM, and a lot of games. Sure they are outdated, but it is fun to play never the less.
Exactly right there.

Level 8
Next Zelda coming up! OoT was and is really fun cause its full of secrets and cool glitches. TP was good only cause the graphics were good and some dungeons were fun but the first 3 bosses are the exact same as the next 3 bosses. You basically do the same thing. And the beta looked much better than the final product even though they had to remove it.

Level 8
OoT is the best game i ever played. Each boss is different, the dungeons and all the riddles are real challanges, there is a little bit horror feeling and the music is the best...

WW was funny bud it coppied too much from OoT and it is very easy

I don't like the story of TP and it is a bit easy too. But its the best Zelda since OoT

Level 5
OoT is the best game i ever played. Each boss is different, the dungeons and all the riddles are real challanges, there is a little bit horror feeling and the music is the best...

WW was funny bud it coppied too much from OoT and it is very easy

I don't like the story of TP and it is a bit easy too. But its the best Zelda since OoT

I agree, Ocarina of times storyline has been copied several times, its getting very dull. However, OoT is and always will be my favorite in the zelda series.

Level 4
Ok octarina of time is best zelda game ever. Majora's Mask was also good, even with the 3 day thing. WW was ok but I don't like the cartoon graphics and the sailing. Also I thought TP was waaaaay to easy. Has anybody noticed that zelda games are getting easier as more come out? Seriously I died ALL THE TIME when I first played oot but I don't eve know what happens when you die in TP. I only died 1 time in the ENTIRE WW GAME!!!! OOT is AWESOME! (even though graphics aren't amazing its gooood)

Level 10
Heres my wall of Text about them XD

The Legend of Zelda - Good but sucked gameplay wise... smash A and B and u cant be hit

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - Died waaay to fast 3 hits and boom dead and waves of mobs that jumping wont even get u by.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - I think it has the best dungeons of all the games... same as the first smash 2 buttons

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Made no sence.... lot of things to do and still got lost...

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Graphics are Horrid like all others exept TP but idk why ppl make such a big deal out of it and was the second longest of all but still had too little things to do after u kill ganon what 3 mini-games?

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - 3 days sucks! i liked the transform masks though gave variety into gameplay and you needed to get some masks to get past the game. plus the BIRD near Lon Lon Ranch that steals your sword, bottle, like 400 rubees, or any other item you have then you have to buy it back for like 200 rubee's

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - The story was good, too little dungeons, good ring system same with AGES, Bosses had diffrent styles unlike TP

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - Story had no sence... some parts were near to immpossible to complete... the final boss was just sooo ez that i lost no hearts and was T-baggin after i killed it.

Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker - too much water, too little land, alot of stuff to do but wished it wasent as cartoonie, enemies just circle you and attack every 10 min. Liked the Puppet Ganon Fight it was fast and diffucult the first time.

Legend of Zelda The Twilight Princess - Too little cities... only 2 that gave you stuff to do and the claw-shot mini game was VERY hard to complete on the last level. The mobs were so stupid.... Also i wish they dident put one button to control wolf... wish they gave him scrolls too like link

Legend of Zelda The Phantom Hourglass - WTF!!!! 2 mini-games 4-Dungeons and what bosses were strafe and slaughter. wish they added a control sceme into it so you dont have to play with a broken DS screen like me and it was still simple!!!!!

The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Level 2
Better graphics, better gameplay, larger map, more space to ride Epona (or whatever you call your horse :D), more... everything. They took OoT and upgraded it, so it has everything it had plus many more.

Better gameplay... Like weak like shit bosses, some real lack of miniquests and minigames and all that ;/.

This is, like u said, upgraded OoT, which automatically makes it worst than OoT. I love TP, but it is far from what OoT was when it came out.

(even though graphics aren't amazing its gooood)
Those graphics where more amazing back in 1998 than TP graphics were when it was released :/ all because stupid Nintendo waited with totally finished game for Wii Release... If they released TP when it was finished on GC it would be like a miracle...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
TPs graphics were well executed compaired to most games on superiour systems like the 360 or PS3.

I will compair it to sonics 360 2006 release (the 2008/9 game unleashed was graphicly top quality). I know this game was particually bad but many 360 games suffered the same faults and so did PS3 games.
TP had overall ballenced detail level, with every part of the environment appearing to blend into each other. Texture wise at times the low resolution was noticable but generally they blended in fine and matched the resolution of the output well (HD textures are pointless with low res output).
Sonic on the other hand suffered hidous model detail problems, with its cities consisting of damn blooks with straight sides poorly placed. Also it was highly lag prone despite multiple times the power of the consol and its HD textures were lost due to lack of AF on the trilinear filtering.

Despite the consol being weaker than the 360/PS3 massivly, I can say it is a lot more visually appealing to look at than quite a number of games from those.
Same with super mario galexy (SMG), although on hideously out of date hardware able to be emulated on modern hardware, it still looks better than graphics produced by some software companies for better hardware.

They go with utalizing the hardware to the full, rather than the general 360/PS3 approach from companies like sega of using designing a game as fast as possiable to roughly use the system well.

In the end I have to say TP did not harm the series graphically. Yes if they made the game for something as strong as the 360 they would have been better but they were extreemly bareable at the time of release over other games. Seeing them at HD makes them look even kind of next genny but that needs a PC which can dual thread extreemly fast (4 GHz) to be anywhere near the real speed.

Level 2
Despite the consol being weaker than the 360/PS3 massivly, I can say it is a lot more visually appealing to look at than quite a number of games from those.

I think you forgot that you are talking about GCN game. On wii there was only port with nothing changed except for that mirror reflection of the game (for right handed ppl).

TP did not harm the series graphically
Ofc not, they hurt TP itself by not releasing the game when it was finished (and grapihcs at this time would pwn ppl faces of) but extra waiting almost 1 year for Wii to be ready...

Status
Not open for further replies.