• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

XANID (The Platformer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I've tested the previous version. It was rather fun. Some blocks were flickering on my screen for some reason, I think you might have fixed that. I suggest you put the custom music back, it was awesome and gave the game a lot of heart and soul.
Well then, I guess I have to add it then as few have already asked for it. My personal opinion is still that at this point it only increases filesize. Do you mean by 'flickering' that they dissappeared from screen near the edge? Or flicker while even in center of screen? Thanks for testing, hopefully you test future versions too!

Level 5
By 'flickering', I mean boxes in the front that look like you could jump on them and couldn't pass through them, but they were passable and just... Flickered. It wasn't in the background.
Hmm... I've never had that problem and I don't know why it happens. So I don't know how to fix it (maybe with unwidgetized/unoptimized version the problem could be eliminated?).

I think the puddle jump is fine; it lets you traverse shallow water much quicker, which means I don't have to spend too long getting back to the start of that section with the platforms over water. Providing it behaves okay in deeper water, it should be fine.
I am planning to make shallow water a bit more shallow so you can't swim there, just walk/puddle jump. Then puddle jumping will be even more awesome and quicker.

Level 5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:goblin_good_job:
UPDATE

New Features:
- Added tips when you first time encounter new enemy.
- Added health indicator.

Gameplay Changes:
- Moved timer to left side under health indicator.
- Removed camera rotation when moving up/down on screen to get health displayed correctly.

Bugs:
- Fixed XANID dying twice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please test it and leave a comment. Thank you!

Level 5
I had that once. But I haven't been able to reproduce it so I thought it got magically fixed. Gotta look into it, thanks for reporting.

EDIT//: Mind telling a little bit more when the crash happens? Like when it squeezes you between itself and a wall? Or?

Last edited:
Level 19
That'd make it a bit... Imbalanced, though. How about give 3 charges of that charge thing every game? So that once it's used up you can't do anything, and maybe add a Boss stage too:)

Level 19
This map is really awesome, nice work! I'd really like to see more updates from this.

Anyway, there's some issues:

Graphical Issues:
  • Some of the boxes starts to flash sometimes when the textures doesn't match with eachother or something (I don't really know the problem) and there's a lot of boxes that you can move through without being blocked of; this is a bit annoying.

Fatal Errors:
  • I did encounter a Fatal Error, by jumping on top of one of those Magwebs or what you call them and it was spinning itself against the roof again, while I was jumping on it. So when it reached the roof and I was still jumping on it, the game crashed (probably an infinite loop).
  • After killing a Magweb, the game crashed (Fatal Error) by unknown reason after about 3 seconds.

Other Problems:
  • When I jumped on top of a Magweb and bounced on it and then hit the ground, a soundeffect used to the water played (the water-splashy-effect).

Ideas:
  • Maybe you could add a sound effect when the XANID takes damage?
  • Some sort of "power-ups", like healing, jump-boost, speed-boost, invincible and more?

I'll continue testing and edit if I'll find something else! :)

Edit: I've now completed the map and this is what I did find, I'll test the next update when you release it! :)

Level 5
> Wait, does this use purely vJASS or JASS too?
It's Zinc.

-------------------------------

New Features:
- Added option dialog before game starts with options to disable tips, disable music, and special option for credited people to change XANID colour yellow.

Gameplay Changes:
- Improved performance. (25 - 40 fps to ~60 fps!)
- Made a lot small visual and audio tweaks.

Bugs:
- Fixed situation where getting squeezed between Magweb and wall was possible and caused a fatal error.
- Fixed underwater sound playing after respawning when dying underwater.

No, there's no new version out yet. But I've been slowly working on it. In a few days I can update it. Still few small tweaks. Stay tuned.

EDIT//: Also, to get yellow XANID. Just ask for it and I'll add you.

Status
Not open for further replies.