1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WW2: World in Flames [REVISED]

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Fingolfin, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    B17 Flying Fortress:

This plane has the largest bombload of all bombers in the game, it drops a total of twelve bombs over a distance of 600 (in warcraft measures), compared to the Betty, which only drops eight bombs over a distance of 500 (making it more of a precision bomber). However, it is slow and expensive, with low fuel, but make up for it in extra hit points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual, you can find more images in the original devlog post here.

2. WOWWARS

WOWWARS

Resources:
    Resources:
  3. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It doesn't seem like a plane that huge would have problems with available fuel. xD

4. clockwork2

clockwork2

Resources:
    Resources:
    i think they sacrificed fuel for bomb payload...but that's my guess xRIOTZx

5. Hugomath

Hugomath

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beautiful work on the B-17 (and the Betty!). I see we are close to a open beta release, eh? :p

By the way, I've uploaded all the pictures I took from that aviation museum. I was going to take a lot more pictures of model scales (they had almost all WW2 aircraft that I know in 1:72 models, and even some more cold war-era and modern ones), but my sister had to go to work. Sorry for that.
    Anyway, click here to see the album.

6. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    Will there be a way to set fire to the fuel of an aircraft in-game for like, as a last resort?
    Like, allowing it to explode, killing allies/enemies around.

7. Svenska_0rmen

Svenska_0rmen

Resources:
    Resources:
    One thing i would like to know is will the AA guns on the aircraft work?

8. Svenska_0rmen

Svenska_0rmen

Resources:
    Resources:
    And another thing, in the WiF homepage where you can see the tanks,infantry, ships it would be amazing if you could set a picture. If you press on the Tiger (for example) you will get a picture and some details about it.

9. Jargalhurts

Jargalhurts

Resources:
    Resources:
    I have only one question, WTF is China doing in here? As far as i know China never really participated in WW2 that much, they only got their ass kicked by the Japanese and pretty much that's it. Don't meant to be a jerk or anything. But so far the project looks incredibly great, it reminds me of a mod i saw on Red Alert 2 called D-Day, with the same WW2 setting and 7 playable factions: America, Russia, Germany, Italy, France, Japan and Italy.

And also, why split America into two?

10. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    South America - North America, at least that's how I would have done it?

As for China, China was heavily involved in WW2, they didn't really get their ass kicked, they held their ground better than most countries did versus the Japanese. They were also allied with Russia trading supplies etc... I guess China is like a "Minor Allied".

@Fingolfin: Will France be a playable faction Fingolfin? They didn't really have an army, just a bunch of rebels led by Charles de Gaulle, and will the Josip Tito's rebel forces, (I forgot the damn name) have any part in the map?

11. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I think that is an awesome idea, though it is up to vuorma since he is the webmaster. I'll let him answer to that.

And no, so far, the machinegun turrets have no purpouse, but i have made it so that i can make them work, incase i wanted to (the top turret would point at the target). For now i want heavy bombers to be defenseless agaisnt fighters, since those are supposed to be the best counter for them (it is very hard for flak batteries to kill a bomber before it has gotten to drop its bombs)

@Jargalhurts: China is there to balance the asian theatre. If there were no china, japan would have no one to fight except one russian city and a handfull of british troops, apart from the US, which would make the asian theatre somewhat redundant (just Japan fighting some neutral cities before attacking the US). Also, China did hold out unil the end of the war, and did hold off some major offensives on the city of Shangsha, which is a strategically very important city on the asian theatre.

@xRiotZx: no, france put up very little opposition once the maginot line was passed, and it is a very small are of the map (it only has three cities).

South America is not included, and North America has recently been combined into a single country, while Canada has been made neutral. It is kinda awkward that the US has to conquer Canada, but it makes more sense than having two countries for east and west.

and @Hugomath: really nice pictures there, i hope you had a great time!

EDIT: Just finished the Mustang!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Full devlog post here!

And to all beta members, i'd like to inform that we will indeed be having a test featuring both theatres this saturday, in preparation for open beta (there is still a bit to go but we are almost there!!)

12. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Canada kind of, sent troops to help the allies? So it is kind of cheesy for America to be invading them. xD

13. Hugomath

Hugomath

Resources:
    Resources:
    Mustang looking good! Only thing is that the foldable wings make it look a bit awkward, but the airplane itself is awesome!

14. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The original plane had folding wings though. I assume you already knew that. :vw_wtf:

15. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, it didn't, as i mentioned in the post. It was a land-based fighter.

16. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't know if you were talking to me but... This.

17. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Uhm.... yeah, that is a Corsair.
    Your point is?

18. RiotZ

RiotZ

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's a P-51 Mustang, Fin. :\

*Erm never mind, messed up image... Need to find another.
    *I think you're right, but I swear I've seen a P-51 with folding wings.

19. Bugz

Bugz

Resources:
    Maps:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Subscribing to a future Dc :)

20. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Alright, some updates!

Reseased a ModDB post revealing the japanese faction, read it here!

[​IMG]

Added the Iowa Class Battleship for the britts/americans which you can find in our devlog:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Increased HP for all infantry units (except flamethrower and officer) by 10 - they are now no longer a cannon fodder unit, but actually really effective against both AT-guns, heavy tanks, and especially artillery (any ammount of soldiers can take down an artillery piece without casualties, since they cannot fire back due to minimum firing distance). All battles with infantry involved now lasts longer, and you no longer have to spam for them to be effective.

*Increased build time of Battleships and carriers, also this to prevent spam.

*Added Auto-Launch on/off option for airfield, which causes it to automatically send all fueled aircraft to engage to it's rally point. This also means that Heavy Bombers will bomb at that location. It currently only sends planes who have been sent somewhere but then returned when their fuel ran out - they don't send planes that have been ordered to land or that are just constructed, but i am working on that too.