Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

World Oil consumption !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ultra.x, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    Could you show a good article on fusion energy? The wiki says that it currently cannot produce more energy than it takes to sustain a reaction. I'm sure that will be overcome eventually, but right now I don't see evidence of it being viable yet.

Most articles I have come across are a little too technical for me. (I'm no physicist)

2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Just like right now solar power is not very viable and neithor are bio fuels. Remember when flight was not viable or when GPS was not viable? Humans will overcome stumbling blocks eventually.

3. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know we'll overcome obstacles eventually, but it sounded like you were saying it's viable now. Also I really don't think bio fuels are a good idea, except as an alternative for making plastics.

Geothermal is viable right now, and it's available almost everywhere (especially at fault lines). It does require considerable "capital" (which is a bullshit term) up front for drilling, but companies drill for oil all the time.

4. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Well I kinda doubt about that shit there's not enough oil for 20 years. They were saying this 20 years ago and nothing changed.

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Geothermal is not viable cause the liability for it is too high and impossible to insure against. Yes the technology exists with the brand new gas drills and stuff but no company is willing to undergo the risk associated with geothermal energy.

What risk? The risk of if an earthquake happens you have to pay for the damages. Yes its that stupid and is actually a legal restriction more than physical. Thus blame lawyers.

6. Dreadnought[dA]

Dreadnought[dA]

Resources:
    Resources:
    Umm, read this link. Also, like you said, Geothermal is viable as long as governments change some stupid rules.

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Um that is what basically I said, it is not viable until the governments change some rules and people learn to live with earthquakes.

8. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_engine
    It's an old invention, but people are finally beginning to see the true power behind it.
    I don't remember the year, but they said like 2020, we will be completely oil free, if people start to invest in it... Which they are doing all ready! :)

The worst thing that could happen now, is that China and India suddenly gave each person a car, powered with gas, that would be the end xD
    ---
    Future of the Earth
    This is not just about oil, but it sure is interesting!

Michio Kaku - Gobal Governance as a Future of Human Evolution
    Even more interesting, and Michio is awesome!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The sterling engines will not solve the world power problem. It will help combat it but the page you linked failed to mention the payback time against technologies used in simlar applications (payback as in both economical and total energy used to manufacture and install).

10. ultra.x

ultra.x

Resources:
    Resources:
    Aparently the USA has 22 trillion barrels in reserves !! Lol i wonder where they keep it all ?
    I still like my electric powered car idea though.

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Someone apparently does not watch much Top Gear.

The problem with electric cars is the storing of the electricity. Batteries are too costly due to their use of rare elements and can not output enough urrent so the power of the moter can compare to a normal engine whereas hydrogen fuel is a dead end cause it comes from oil anyway.

12. ultra.x

ultra.x

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im sure you dont get hydrogen from oil, H2O is water, 2 hydrogen particles + 1 oxygen. If you put electricity through the water, they will seperate and youll get hydrogen.
    I might be wrong

13. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    H2O is a molecule. It has covalent bonds/hydrogen bonds. Yes it naturally does form loose H+ and OH- ions suspended in itself (why water conducts) in a equilibrium reverse reaction but...
    Firstly, the resistance of pure water due to its very low ion concentration is extreemly high and secondly the ammount of current consumed to produce the gas is also high. Not to mention that the reverable reaction is extreemly slow meaning that hydrogen is produced slowly. Do not forget to factor in that the conversion is less than 80% efficent. Electricity is also extreemly expensive, unlike oil.

So to cut costs, industry devised a very smart process called steam reforming. In this process, they get a long hydrocarbon chain and put it in the presence of a steam (as well as a catalist to lower activation point) to release hydrogen and harmless carbon dioxide. Usually this is done to methane (yes the same gas your digestion produces) from natural gas. The result is cheap hydrogen at upto 80% efficency.

Ok so both these methods seem equally efficent? No they are not as electrolysing water uses electricity from powerplants (often fossile fuled) with atmost 70% efficency (gas can obtain that). Thus there is a double wastage with the process and thus why it is uneconomical. Additionally if you want to use electrolysing water to fuel a hydrogen economy, you will have to build more power stations, like nuclear to keep up with the energy demands.

Currently research is being done if it would be possible to recycle carbon dioxide to a degree by using it to stimulate photosynthisis. A major limiting factor in photosynthisis is the concentration of carbon dioxide (it runs so fast, the stuff can not diffuse fast enough), thus by pumping exaust fumes from processes like steam reforming and fossil fuel power plants into sealed off areas with plant mater (like alge vats of greenhouses), you can actually increase their yield and thus boost the efficency of the process (as you can then factor in the energy it is permiting to be trapped via photosynthisis that is normally lost). You can then harvest these plants and convert them into bio fuels to help power your cars.

Additionally, an emphisis on car efficency will eventually occur. Often on the road you are stuck most of the time at sub 100 km/hour speeds so why make cars that can go faster (although efficency and speed are linked to a degree) if there is efficency to be gained (there might not but who knows).

14. ultra.x

ultra.x

Resources:
    Resources:
    Lol never mind about the code thingy, ill find a way around it, i always seem to. Dark energy 78% & Dark matter 21% Black holes have infinate gravity so what is its mass ?? Infinity ?? Stars make all of the elements we see today, all the way up to Iron, thats when the star dies. When a supernova happens it creates the heavier elements beyond Iron. We know dark matter is there becuase of its gravity but we dont know what it is. Neutron stars are dead cores of dead stars. There density is amazing, a sugar cube of neutron star is the equivelent of all the cars in europe or USA put together. A white drawf is similar, a dead star core but larger. Ever wondered why the milkey way and other galaxies have bright clustered centers. Astromoners believe its a super black hole and its redicilous gravity that pulls the stars together. They also believe that time stops inside a black hole. Only the biggest stars can explode into what we call hypernova, that is what creates a black hole. All that out of the back of my head.

Lol irrelevent but interesting !

15. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Black holes do not have infinite gravity. They merely have an escape velocity exceeding that of the speed of light, meaning that they have an event horizon upon which their gravity is too strong for any object to escape.

16. ikillforeyou

ikillforeyou

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    One answer: Nuclear fusion.

on another note, we're running out of helium. lol!

17. Kala

Kala

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I dont care about this x-)
    Im gonna buy car that consumes lots of gas

18. Coolty44

Coolty44

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Its time to invent portal technology. The right people would find a way to exploit that for energy.

19. Callahan

Callahan

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Every oil will be consumed in the end unless barrel consumption becomes zero till the end of humanity or until CO2 fossilize into oil again wich takes lolzillion of years.
    Consumming less but not zero will just slow down the inevitable.
    Just find good alternative energy so I can keep running my internet and be prepared for some random bigass environemental shitstorm.

Also poor Polar bear you were cute.

20. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Also the reason why you don't see elements heavier than iron in stars is because when you fuse elements heavier than iron together via nuclear fusion, it absorbs more energy than it releases. Same goes for nuclear fission with elements lighter than iron.