1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

World Editor or Galaxy Editor?

Discussion in 'Warcraft 3: World of Warcraft' started by Craka_J, Jul 9, 2010.

?

Should World of Warcraft be remade with the "World Editor" or the "Galaxy Editor&quot

1. World Editor (WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne)

79.4%
  2. Galaxy Editor (StarCraft II)

20.6%
  1. Kaylax87

Kaylax87

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am Wc3 Map editor all the way it's my favorite game and favorite map editor and do hope blizzard adds new features like WoW features on both normal and map editor for people who make maps to make things more fun for us to make.

2. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd still prefer it to be in Warcraft III, it gives it a better 'feel':)

3. Kaylax87

Kaylax87

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with yea Miss_foxy we need to keep the fath in Wc3 and it's World Editor alive and intact and do hope the devs of Blizzard can hear our conversation.

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I am aware I am not a member of this project but I still wish to post constructivly on the subject.

Due to the major differences in opperation between Starcaft II and the Warcraft III engine it would mean having to start completly from scratch. Additionally due to the lack of Warcraft like units and the policy on copywrite, you will have to create a huge ammount of custom model content which I doubt you have axcess to the resources needed. You will also have to deal with an entirly new steep learning curve as many functionalities you take for advantace in Warcraft 3 are not present in Starcraft 2, especially data and script wise.

Moving over to Starcraft II however does give more customizability over important areas of the game. These include completly removing the clunky default interface to allow for a more RPG streamlined one, better hotkey and mouse support allowing better navigations, better graphics for visuals supassing the real WoW game andeven systems allowing the project to become fully multiplayer (or so it seems as that functionality has yet to be tested in Starcraft II).

Yes Starcraft II seems good, but you must remember it means scrapping the current work completly, which as far as I know has taken 5 years or so of combined work to produce. This will equivently mean all that time spent was wasted. However then there is the fact that how many Warcraft III players will be left to play the finished product once you finish. Additionally will continuing this project in Warcraft mean wasting more time in the end (never is finished). If you use Starcraft II why even try and copy WoW when you could make your own creation.

With all these points to consider, it seems meaningless even having a public vote. Ultimatly the decission is entirly up to the people who have made most of the current content as they are the ones most affected by a change. I advise thinking about it carefully over the next week as if you want to move to Starcraft II you will want to do it as soon as possible to prevent wasting any more time.

5. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    well, making warcraft maps is wasting time in itself anyway

6. Kaylax87

Kaylax87

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are still people who enjoy making custom maps on Warcraft 3

7. Miss_Foxy

Miss_Foxy

Resources:
    Resources:
    For all we know, we might find out stuff from the World Editor that you can't find in the Galaxy Editor... :p

8. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Such as medeival settings , with magical themes that can't be found in Starcraft, which is more realistic, and sci-fi themed.

i would rather edit in warcraft for fantasy and mini games, or arenas, not in starcraft.

it would
    1. needs a lot of map space for imports
    2. realistic themes is not fit for "FUN" types of games such as uther party, or many joke maps...i can't imagine laughing off a bloody scene with jokes.
    3. imagine on your own.

9. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You might, but still Starcraft II's editor has hundreds of new and useful features WE does not so you will never be able to make them even approch equal.

For a short list, what SC2 editor supports that WE does not...
    Up to 14 players, loading new maps in multiplayer, modifying unit stats via triggers, saving and loading using the hard disk and changing light sources / direction of shadows during gameplay.

10. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    which is why starcraft is a different type of game than warcraft.

it's much more ladder based.
    whereas warcraft is more custom game based

11. Super-Sheep

Super-Sheep

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    this

12. Grey Nightmare

Grey Nightmare

Resources:
    Resources:
    He's right, ultimately. It's you who will have to put more time into either engine, you should make the choice without our input. We, the public are fickle. We might vote something now and decide differently in a months time when sc2 is out. Sadly, that's just human nature.

13. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Its actually pointless then to argue which is better?

because, we will be using both, under diffrent types of games that we want to create..

Minigames, Joke n Fun, Magical and fantasy,<Anything more that goes fit in your imagination> goes to warcraft WE

Ladder based? Alien and stuff,<Anything more that goes fit in your imagination> goes to Starcraft

Lets end this discussion, in the last, we will meet to the same conclusion,
    We will be needing both Editors...as they have their own purposes, in the last, its decided based on our particular individual needs, MAJORITY cannot decide what we will be making. Whatever happens, i will never Laugh playing Pyramid Escape in Starcraft !!

14. Azndragon

Azndragon

Resources:
    Resources:
    W-w-w-world editor! :cute: