• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Working on Damage Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently making a log that shows all damage dealt to a player.
So when a player is killed, he will see a multiboard that lists all the damage dealt to him.
The multiboard shows the time, your health before the damage, the player who dealt the damage, the ability used, the weapon used, and the damage dealt.

Here's how it looks at the moment:
Got any improvement suggestions? Is it clear/informative enough?

All feedback is appreciated!

[Edit]
Here's some progress:

Last edited:
Level 33
Cool!
Though fix the timer,i suggest using this kind : 0 : 0X not 0 : X because it ruins it. Add "0" at the char timer but check first if value is less than 10.

You can also indent the words,to make it more readable:
Player Move with Weapon dealing value damage
1 lunged with Flamberge dealing 9 damage
Bot2 kicked dealing 8 damage.

But,keep that of yours.

Set the color of Health to Lime so that its more flashy and recognizable, because Green is a bit dark.You can also replace the damage value with Red

Cool!
Though fix the timer,i suggest using this kind : 0 : 0X not 0 : X because it ruins it. Add "0" at the char timer but check first if value is less than 10.
Yeah gotta make it like that
You can also indent the words,to make it more readable:
Player Move with Weapon dealing value damage
1 lunged with Flamberge dealing 9 damage
Bot2 kicked dealing 8 damage.

But,keep that of yours.
Well that might be possible by setting different parts of the message to different columns.
However, it would make the text have odd spaces all the time which might make it harder to read?
Set the color of Health to Lime so that its more flashy and recognizable, because Green is a bit dark.You can also replace the damage value with Red
Hmm yeah. I might actually color code the health so that it will go from green to red depending on value.
Also, yeah, gotta test that red damage.

Thanks and +rep for the suggestions!

Dark green looks like vomit.
Thank you for your constructive observations and words of wisdom!

^ Agree.
And it also seems to be a garbage color.

btw,this is the lime color : |cff34ff34
Yeah, I know how the color codes work.
I'll switch the color to lime if I have problems with making the color change according to health amount.

Maybe you can lighten up the "gray" letters a bit. I know you want them to fit in the map's colors,but that is too much.
Hmm?
They seem perfectly readable to me.
Also, the useful info stands out better when the default color is dark.

It is quite a cool Multiboard, Kita. Its very informative but I would like to suggest when it shows health... when it is down to 50% or lower, make its font color Red that signifies that it is low in health.

Level 30
Well, not meeanting to be off topc on this one but maybe display also when a player drinks and heals himself with it, display also the amount of healed HP and what player used the Drink but if your game is not meant to show those heal things and you want to stay only with Damages its fine. :)

Tho im not sure if the heal ability in BnG is Drink... Also when displaying the healed amount, make the font color green signifying healed.

Well, not meeanting to be off topc on this one but maybe display also when a player drinks and heals himself with it, display also it but if your game is not meant to show those heal things and you want to stay only with Damages its fine. :)
Hmm...
It might get spammy if the player uses drink often. Also, I don't know if it will provide useful info since the heal is not instant.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll need to think about it.

I think you can add icons in "Timer","Health",and Damage Event.
Got any suggestions?
Sure, time could have a clock but what would be a good "health" icon?
Also,Removing "Damage Event" would be nice,you have Damage Log at all.
True, I think I'll do that.
edit
Didn't notice the "0" there,can you change the color of it?
That 0 is pretty much redundant information anyway.
"Player is dead" -> "He has no health"
I don't see a reason to make it more visible.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Damage log has now been upgraded to show actual damage values.
(Old version did not take armor damage reduction into account)
124756-albums909-picture72482.png

Up: damage log while wearing Eclipse Cuirass
Down: damage log without armor

As a sidenote, the damage floating texts during combat also now display true damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.