• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WIP:Deathwing Reborn

What do you think I working this project?

• No bad, no good.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Normal

Votes: 11 10.0%
  • Boring!

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Epic and Nice! Release it quickly! >:D

Votes: 86 78.2%
  • Too bad for you, CnP!! kwaliti is BETTER! >:(

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Do not use warcraft lore as a means to explain historical facts, that's even more stupid that claiming that dinosaurs was the creation of dragons.
Dragons are legendary creatures, typically with serpentine or otherwise reptilian traits, that feature in the myths of many cultures.

There are two distinct cultural traditions of dragons: the European dragon, derived from European folk traditions and ultimately related to Greek and Middle Eastern mythologies, and the Chinese dragon, with counterparts in Japan, Korea and other Asian countries. The two traditions may have evolved separately, but have influenced each to a certain extent, particularly with the cross-cultural contact of recent centuries.

Get it? You can clearly not explain the creation of the dragons using warcraft lore, you can not say that dragons were created by birds because the English word "dragon" derives from Greek δράκων (drákōn), "dragon, serpent of huge size, water-snake", which probably comes from the verb δρακεῖν (drakeîn) "to see clearly". Medieval dragons in europe was created by giving lizards batlike features, batlike feeding patterns and would typically be told around campfires to scare children not to run out into the forests during the nights.

For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafnir

As time passed, the monstrosity increased, they gave the dragons more teeth, made it bigger. They also gave it the ability to "stand up" like a bear which curved its spine slightly since it primary means of attack was fire. The long neck that curved upwards at the top, with a head that would tilt downwards. They have changed slightly with time, but the general recipie is the same. This is the modern dragons used in most games. The dragon with roots in the north paganism religion, the religion known as Asatro. So is the old gods btw, the maelstrom is derived from the swedish word "malström". referring to a huge grinding current, that has been said to swallow ships. Most of the modern fantasy genres has drawn their inspiration from Asatro and the culture that goes with it. e.i Trolls, Elves, Orcs ect.

Which is why I ignored the other cultures that explained their creation in other ways. All share the common trait of a serpent however.

Level 21
Why the hell are you arguing over something that on where dragons came from? Who the fuck cares, as long as we love them and who cares they are just large lizards with wings being able to fly and breath fire, but nobody mentioned that big lizard that has a poisonous bite.
95349-004-9837D7DD.jpg

Level 26
Why the hell are you arguing over something that on where dragons came from? Who the fuck cares, as long as we love them and who cares they are just large lizards with wings being able to fly and breath fire, but nobody mentioned that big lizard that has a poisonous bite.
95349-004-9837D7DD.jpg

Aaaactually, those kinds of lizards.. spawned the dragon known as the Wyvern, typically living in swamps and sometimes even have the ability to spit venom.
But I get your point, this discussion is pretty off topic. I react when people claim something to be the truth because they assume it to be the truth. It pisses me off so I prove it, often causing a little rant.

Where is the artist anyhow? I mean, I haven't seen any new updates from the guy. :O

Level 38
Do not use warcraft lore as a means to explain historical facts, that's even more stupid that claiming that dinosaurs was the creation of dragons.
Dragons are legendary creatures, typically with serpentine or otherwise reptilian traits, that feature in the myths of many cultures.

There are two distinct cultural traditions of dragons: the European dragon, derived from European folk traditions and ultimately related to Greek and Middle Eastern mythologies, and the Chinese dragon, with counterparts in Japan, Korea and other Asian countries. The two traditions may have evolved separately, but have influenced each to a certain extent, particularly with the cross-cultural contact of recent centuries.

Get it? You can clearly not explain the creation of the dragons using warcraft lore, you can not say that dragons were created by birds because the English word "dragon" derives from Greek δράκων (drákōn), "dragon, serpent of huge size, water-snake", which probably comes from the verb δρακεῖν (drakeîn) "to see clearly". Medieval dragons in europe was created by giving lizards batlike features, batlike feeding patterns and would typically be told around campfires to scare children not to run out into the forests during the nights.

For example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafnir

As time passed, the monstrosity increased, they gave the dragons more teeth, made it bigger. They also gave it the ability to "stand up" like a bear which curved its spine slightly since it primary means of attack was fire. The long neck that curved upwards at the top, with a head that would tilt downwards. They have changed slightly with time, but the general recipie is the same. This is the modern dragons used in most games. The dragon with roots in the north paganism religion, the religion known as Asatro. So is the old gods btw, the maelstrom is derived from the swedish word "malström". referring to a huge grinding current, that has been said to swallow ships. Most of the modern fantasy genres has drawn their inspiration from Asatro and the culture that goes with it. e.i Trolls, Elves, Orcs ect.

Which is why I ignored the other cultures that explained their creation in other ways. All share the common trait of a serpent however.

I agree, but we should really take it easy :D Iam a cryptozoologist aned damn many cryptozoologist argue about "what exactly is a dragon?" Its totaly same as here ;) and yes Warord is right, there is actually one creature that is called dragon - its the komodo dragon, 3 m long lizard with bacteria in his teeth and also a special venom, so komodo dragon is the biggest venomous creature in the world. ;) we should just end this discusion about what dragons are like, it all started only because Zade created the head of deathwing iwh a little bit bird features, it looked a little bit like beak and i dont care, iam creating the model and trust me there is no bird features and no beak :D So PEOPLE :REALAX :D EVERYTHINGS JUST FINE :goblin_yeah:

And Zade is working really hard trust me, he had to finish something first, we are working on something else also, only one small piece of texture was missing, so he finished it so i could finish it whole and then he is working on Deathwing again.

Level 7
quick question, will this have a team color??
Also looks good from what i seen on page 1... cant wait 4 this one

EDIT: Also i just seen i think its page 2 or 3 someone mention that the other deathwing model was too big file size?? you guys already made one i didnt see nothing.

Level 8
EDIT: How long will it take before the whole thing is complete and we can click "Click here to download AwesomeDeathwingTheDestroyer.zip"? :p

I would like to have it in my next map within 4months ;)

Last edited:
Level 38
What is your expectations when it comes to how much time you will spend on it? 1-3 months?

I dont udnerstand clearly your question, we are working on it during our freetime, but animations will be the hardest thing i think, modeling itself isnt so difficult to me, animations will be worse, but my friend offered me help, but i think it will take some time.

Level 10
Actually, no. Thinking that the concept of dragons came from dinosaurs is stupid. Dragons come from mythology and has existed for roughly thousand years before we found dinosaur remains. So, stop being silly. :O

...Stupid is that what you say. Listen. The concept of the WESTERN dragon is not 1000 years older than the first time we found dinosaur remain, cause the west isn't even 600 years old (AMERICA). The American dragon head is surely inspired by the dinosaur. Do not insult me once again. It's not the first time.

Dragons are basically based on them (not talking about Chinese ones

American and Chinese are 2 totally different kinds of Dragons.

Level 10
What.
The.
FUCK.

American dragons?
We're talking about MEDIEVAL dragons. :/

No. We're talking about a medieval dragon that is an invention of an American firm.... an American Dragon.
*note that we're not talking about that bullshit Disney show.

But nah, it's just off-topic.

Nice updates btw since I last saw it. Can we take a look at the model anyway?

Level 26
No. We're talking about a medieval dragon that is an invention of an American firm.... an American Dragon.

But nah, it's just off-topic.

Nice updates btw since I last saw it. Can we take a look at the model anyway?

The "American" dragon does not exist. There's two kinds, the western dragon that I previously explained below..

...and the second one, which is the eastern dragon.

Since you keep bringing this up. If you feel insulted, that is good. Your nativity is your own downfall and thus the consequence is little suffering because of your own stupidity. Now then, I'll resume with the explanation. Eastern dragons.

The Chinese dragons were never stories told to scare children, as the dragons were kind and benevolent and basically omnipotent in some cases. In these cultures the dragons are told to be able to take human form, in which they commanded armies as an emperor. (although in Asatro there is some depictions of dwarves taking dragon form to better protect what they are protecting. Fafnir is a good example of that. But nevermind that for now.) In their dragon form the dragons are depicted as flying serpents. it's fairly easy to tell them apart from the western as the eastern dragons are depicted as flying serpents (It's pretty easy to figure out why they did not evolve into a more monstrous form too, since doing that would essentially be like saying that your emperor is a monster, which probably would get you punished in one way or another), they does not necessarily require wings and usually has 6 to 8 legs. It's also the reason why parades were encouraged as it was basically like cheering for their emperor, which for a emperor is a good thing to hear. Usually, anyhow.

Most of the Japanese dragons never attained flight and had connections with water spirits/deities and was usually depicted as water serpents with clawed feet.

In early the Vidic religion some dragons appeared to symbolize drought.

Among Jewish religious texts the dragons are never depicted or given a form but is simply referred to as great Sea Monsters. They did specify a name for them though. Leviathans.

There is some references in early Christianity where dragons are depicted more like an hydra and is spoken of as a demon.

Modern depictions of dragons are not created from movies, but actually drawn entirely from the the western dragons, with origins from Scandinavia.

To truly grasp the context, I'll further the explanation as of why. As the viking culture evolved, the need to prove your manliness was dire. If one considered you unmanly, you could be forced to a duel for your life, if you fought and killed the one accusing you, then you proved him wrong. If he killed you, he showed the land the proof of his claim.

If you gave up, you would be banished from the land. Thus, bragging was a common sight and stories of great warriors who beat up dragons with their bare hands became common. These stories was usually very overly exaggerated but was also the reason to why the creatures became more monstrous. The bigger and more deadly they are, the braver is the person who defeated it. A very good example of these is the story of Beowulf that was just recently made into a fairly bad hour of CGI flick.

Exactly like the story that spawned it, the story tells the tale of the swede who swam through the ocean, beat up enormous sea snakes, battled evil trolls and killed a dragon by shoving a dagger through its heart. By this time, the concept of a dragon and a sea snake had already evolved far enough to be considered two creatures.

This part of the culture disappeared shortly as Christianity assumed control over these countries however. The tradition followed fleeing Norwegians who didn't want to convert into Christianity. Which is why we got a number of tales where unnaturally buff men beat up even more unnatural beasts. Although that tradition soon disappeared with them as well when the range of the church had grown significantly. I assume such stories was tied to the early christian beliefs to justify them to be burned as heretics.

Thus, you have tales of brilliance and heroics. The reason to tell these kinds of tales about bravery changed somewhat with Christianity and was told more for a fictional storytelling purpose. e.i Knights fighting dragons to rescue princess ect.

This was potential moneymaking ideas. The only thing America did was to raise the popularity of an already famous creature.

Now, I'll quote this line as well, so it will be easier to see. Stop your nativity and let's also stop this discussion. We already agreed that it's off topic. This should be the perfect explanation to end this.

Last edited:
Level 2
is this out already? i wanna test this baby out and if you want help on terraining i can help you, reply if you need help or if you want a beta tester PM me keep in touch man.:thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Where do you think America got it from? As Minimage explains, there are only 2 types; Western and Eastern. America uses the Western Dragon (being a Western culture), which has been in mythology long before America was founded.

Level 26
Yeah, well. I thought a wall of text explaining every possible angle I could think of would get the truth out and thus leave nothing left to be said.

How's the head going btw? I'm curious how it looks like now. :O
Could you do some quick example to showcase the top of the head and the jaw together? :O

Last edited:
Level 16
Sorry ya and yes, it doesn't progress much. I had busying my college things last month. I have less time to do it. :(

I adding shading, color adjustment and more now. Currently, I doing it. I have some time today. I will add the teeth soon. :)

I not enough experience to paint. It will be slowing down my progress and take some time.

Level 26
...Teeth? :O
I don't know if it's just me but I don't see any teeth.
Btw, this texture doesn't seem to be progressing too much. It's been months and you haven't even finished the basic colors and shape of the head. :S (I think so at least?)

I didn't say that there were any, I suggested him to add a few.
Deathwing had a few teeth on the upper half after all. http://gameswallpaper.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/deathwing_1680x1050.jpg

Also, by great improvement, it now looks more dragon-like and less bird-like.

Last edited:
Level 8
How huge is this project really? Are you currently 25% done, 50% done or more? When your exams is finished how long will this take? Will it be finished before August? :p
Sorry, Im not familiar with this level of modelling and skinning.

Level 1
this will probably get more attention than that awesome lich king model. you have a deadline or release date for this beauty?

Status
Not open for further replies.