• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Will Wc3:WoW be playable online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I dont think so errorz. They have already made that program called ''WarSoc''. When you are using that, you can play single player maps online and there is no player limits. Thats what I have heard.

Level 25
WarSoc also requires us to recreate 75-95% of the stuff we've already made, except for terrain, models, and textures - supposedly.

Before we decide to begin reworking everything to fit the online version of the mod, we want to first finish the first Open BETA of Wc3:WoW, which will be single-player. WarSoc is constantly being worked on but there are a lot of flaws and stuff to be added to the program itself. When MindWorX feels that the program is ready and stable to be distributed, Wc3:WoW will be among one of the first projects to test the project. How long will it take for the online version of Wc3:WoW to be completed? Not sure. Our coders will need to get themselves acquainted with the WarSoc program, how it's used, and how they have to do things to get them done. Once everyone's familiar with the program, we can really begin moving foward with the online production process of Wc3:WoW. My guess is that it won't take us as long to make it multiplayer as it did for single-player since we have a very good idea on what we'll be adding first and how we did it. It won't be as simple as Copy And Paste, but our JASS coders can reference back to the current triggers to see how they worked and were used.

Will it take less than a year for the online version? I seriously doubt it. If all goes according to plan, and no one bails from the team and the process of development continues almost flawlessly, the online version can be expected probably a year and a couple months after we decide to start the online mod's development.

In short, the 'upcoming' version of Wc3:WoW will be single player, no matter what. We've come too far to drop it all.

After the first publicly released version, that's when you may expect an online version next... though, chances are that we'll be making a lot of fixed and modifications to the single-player one regardless - some people prefer to play Wc3:WoW alone anyway and we must respect their wishes to make the wait for Wc3:WoW more worth while.

Level 25
From what MindWorX told me, players can host their own servers. The servers live only until the host of the server leaves the game/turns off his/her PC. This means anyone can host. I'll look into setting up 1-3 servers for Wc3:WoW when the time comes.

Level 10
Then I will galdly help you when the beta is up. I sent a beta tester request some time ago, but it has not been responsed yet.

I will report any bugs and glitchs I may find, and also typos, missing DISBTNs or anything else that need to be fixed.

Hope I can help, soon.

Level 1
WarSoc also requires us to recreate 75-95% of the stuff we've already made, except for terrain, models, and textures - supposedly.

Before we decide to begin reworking everything to fit the online version of the mod, we want to first finish the first Open BETA of Wc3:WoW, which will be single-player

I enjoy single player as well, and I think it's pretty awesome you plan on releasing an online version in the future once you nail this.

Level 3
dang. if this does go online it'll be the biggest best game on battle net and even if it doesn't go online it's still gonna be sweet i can't wait guys!

Level 25
According to MindWorX, the method of using WarSoc to make the Wc3:WoW campaign multi-player is totally legal and is simply taking advantage of a loophole in the system. Nevertheless, if Blizzard Entertainment does feel that we are breaking the rules and forces us to stay with single-player, we'll have to abide by that order...

Level 21
According to the EULA:

you are not entitled to:
(iv) host or provide matchmaking services for the Program, or emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Blizzard in the network feature of the Program, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Program, use of a utility program, or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to, network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks, or as part of content aggregation networks without the prior written consent of Blizzard;

8. "On-Line" Components of the Program. This Program contains an 'on-line' component that allows you to utilize the Product over the Internet utilizing servers and software maintained or authorized by Blizzard. Blizzard agrees to provide the servers and software technology necessary to utilize the "on-line" component of the Program in accordance with this End User License Agreement and with the Terms of Use that you must accept prior to playing on Blizzard’s Internet gaming service "Battle.net."

Whatever mindworx says, the EULA is pretty clear on this. Blizzard provides battle.net, and any other hosting services are not allowed. The RTC project fails on 2 parts here:
- Emulation of network protocols (or at the very least: forcing users of RTC to host outside of battle.net)
- Adding components to the program.

If this project ever comes into a state where online gameplay can be considered, I'm perfectly fine with using RTC, but note that this will be illegal without written approval of blizzard itself.

Level 36
According to the EULA:

Whatever mindworx says, the EULA is pretty clear on this. Blizzard provides battle.net, and any other hosting services are not allowed. The RTC project fails on 2 parts here:
- Emulation of network protocols (or at the very least: forcing users of RTC to host outside of battle.net)
- Adding components to the program.

If this project ever comes into a state where online gameplay can be considered, I'm perfectly fine with using RTC, but note that this will be illegal without written approval of blizzard itself.

OH NOES!!! I'm sure if this becomes popular enough Blizzard will allow it.

Level 8
They could always ask blizzard to let them host wc3 wow. After all, aren't blizzard your biggest supporters? And really, what did they expect? They probably knew people would make stuff like RTC and Girimoire and even vJass. They saw it coming.

Level 25
Yup. Though, I can see that Blizzard Entertainment is tightening their grip on games they make now (StarCraft II) since there is no Local Area Network option for StarCraft II. Little things like that zero in on the loop holes we could take advantage of and create into something possibly big, such as our mod right here, Wc3:WoW!

I really do hope they support us. A few people who claim to test games for Blizzard or applicants for Blizzard Entertainment said that Blizzard Entertainment is watching and likes the outcome so far. I think they'll be impressed with the final product - if it ever gets there. :grin:

Level 8
Well, lets hope you impress them enough to let you host the game. I though sc2 will allow linked maps to be hosted?

Level 21
OH NOES!!! I'm sure if this becomes popular enough Blizzard will allow it.

They are banning people with hostbots. RTC is effectively forcing you to NOT go on battle.net. How the hell is blizzard ever going to allow people to avoid battle.net? Hell, they're removing LAN from SC2 just to get people on battle.net 2.0. There's no way they're going to ever *allow* it. At most ignore it.

They only add stuff to the game when it's really bugged. The only reason hashtables are added is because of the security hole. I can't think of any good reason why blizzard would spend months, perhaps years on getting campaigns hostable, never mind about other RTC features such as keyboard & mouse input detection. And then they also need to add custom game hosting, so they can host wc3:wow themselves. It's very naïve to think this...

Status
Not open for further replies.