1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Will the resource section be better organized?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Dacav man, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Dacav man

Dacav man

Resources:
    Resources:
    Improvement on Resource Search

I think that Hive should have the option of how many resources are showed on the page instead of me looking at like 10 and then changing page, it is quite annoying so i think they should keep the search system like wc3sear.ch did

2. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ralle is trying to *partially* mimic wc3sear's style but with more extras.
    the database isnt exactly finished yet.

And yes, the page and number thing does need to be fixed. I suggest page numbers of 10,25,50,100. (but no all..thats just overkill on loading..)

in the mod panel we cant turn the page over, AT ALL. Thus we cant approve old resources that dont have broken links. The ones with broken links are stacking so we can only approve/ignore new resources and such. And id rather not approve a model with no image, and/or description and/or a foreign name, those ones are stacking too.

3. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It would be very useful to have Wc3search's system. However, it missed some categories.

It would be excellent if, by writing the Label, a new category with the name of the label showed up on the Category Browse List. However, TDs would be turned to Tower Defences, DotAs to AoS, and such. And those with no labels would be (Unsorted). Might require alot of work, though. And it needs moderators to watch it constantly. Specially if it's to be made in all sections.

4. Shados

Shados

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Heh, I was talking to Ralle a while ago about making it just like that.

5. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    wc3search's system? you want this server to die? Wc3s' scripts were like abusing the server load omg.. and wc3s is actually shared hosting

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, when I meant Wc3search's system I meant the search system.

7. Bruno_System_1

Bruno_System_1

Resources:
    Resources:
    about the search system: I think it would be usefull for modelers if the models data base had a category \ autor search like war3s had. also there should be a category for unarmed models. that would be realy usefull, atleast for me hehehe.

8. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    One thing, I thinkt the submiter's name should be under the Map's Creator.

For example:
    Uploaded by: <nick>

With the current way, I doubt people will understand, it's not newbie-friendly.

9. Amadeo

Amadeo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im just wondering if the search system
    like that of wc3sear.ch was be implemented?
    because it is almost impossiable to find a model and so forth
    when there are dozens and dozens of pages
    jw

and sorry if this is in the wrong section

10. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This question has been asked before, try our SuperSecretSearchSystem to find many answers to many questions.

Such a system to search resources would be helpful to everyone. Ralle has a lot to do and, like all of us, only two hands and 24 hours per day.

~ Thread merged.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  11. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    just write something and press search on the resource section.

12. Fulla

Fulla

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Some of form of rating system would be nice.

So for example, im looking for "Undead" models or skins.
    I then filter it to show, 'highest rated to lowest rated first, instead of dates.

Make sit easier to pick out the top good ones, without having to fully browse it all.

13. CHUNK

CHUNK

Resources:
    Resources:
    Minimap vs. Preview Pictures

As a map contributor, I'd like to request that the mandatory exposure of the minimap (as opposed to imported preview pictures) be changed. In some maps, the terrain is hidden for a reason (e.g. player exploration) and in some maps the terrain is not attractive and the preview picture was designed to cover that up or at least draw more attention than an ugly minimap might. I don't understand why the site is designed to show a tiny thumbnail of imported preview pictures and a large image of the exposed minimap.

I should think that many other map contributors would be opposed to this as well.

14. Bruno_System_1

Bruno_System_1

Resources:
    Resources:
    look, i haven't uploaded any maps yet, but i download some, and when i'm serching i reject some maps because the minimap looks bad. i mean, the map could be a good map, but the picture simply does not atract the atention of whos serching. And i agree with chunk's point inthe terrain being hiden, to improve gameplay via exploration of the map. i'm with CHUNK on this.

15. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So you download maps based around the minimap image of the terrain? Wow, you must be playing really shitty maps, because that's a really stupid way of doing things. Ever heard the expression "Don't judge a book by it's cover"? Same rules apply here. Just because the fricking mini map image, a minimal expression of the actual terrain, looks bad, it doesn't give you any indication to how good a map actually is. And besides, a map could have stunning terrain and absolutely shit all for gameplay, so that's a poor way of judging things anyway.

Also, as is being constantly stated, the Resource section is under construction, so right now things are not completely the way that Ralle would like them to be. WORK IS STILL BEING DONE TO IMPROVE THINGS! When the Hive's resource section is complete, it will be BETTER then Sear's ever was, and it will be way less laggy, wont absolutely destroy our server and it will also load quickly. Improvements are on the way, so sit tight and deal with it for now.

If you don't like it, then go back to playing Sims 2, or whatever the hell it is that n00bs play these days....

16. CHUNK

CHUNK

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is a fairly rude and aggressive response for a simple request that is, in my opinion, a very legitimate concern. I'm not a n00b - I'm the shaman of one of the most prolific and long-lived mapping clans in Warcraft - and two of the maps of mine that appear on this server won Director's Choice awards on the old wc3s site. You'd think that you would appreciate legitimate feedback from people who might be contributing to your site, rather than trying to belittle their opinions and castigate them for making a request. I understand that the site is being updated - that's why I made the request.

17. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    All Right.

No flaming here in the Site Discussion forum guys: read the sticky:
    Rules & Guidelines - Read Before Posting!
    The proposed improvements are being developed, please be patient.

18. brad.dude03

brad.dude03

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You should note that I never called you a noob, I only insinuated that if you were to impatient to wait for the improvements to the Resource section, you should go play n00b games. I don't care about your achievements, they mean nothing here. You bring good things to the table, you get respected. That's how it works, but just because someone has done this, or made that many maps, or won these awards, doesn't mean anything. If you have talent, great, share it with everybody! That's what we like around here. I am absolutely not belittling you, just pointing out that you, along with countless hundreds of other new users, have made this same god damned request over and over again, and don't seem to realize that we have already figured that one out, and that it's coming, so just wait, and you will see. I don't think I belittled you in any way... I explained the present situation, I explained that Ralle is working on new things, and I explained that what you see now is only a glimpse of what things will be like in the future. Hardly aggresive if you ask me, maybe you feel threatened for some unknown reason? I made a perfectly reasonable response to a valid question, and that's that, but trying to make me out as the aggressor, well, that's pretty low because in this case, I hardly see myself as such.

19. Wolverabid

Wolverabid

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Just knock it off.

Both of you.

The topic of this discussion is "Improvement on Resource Search." Please contribute to this topic in a constructive fashion or hold peace. If I have to clean this thread for off-topic or agressive posts, believe me, it's going to be a much shorter thread.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  20. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Even though some posts are harsh and a bit offending, I agree with Brad.