1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Wilderness Survival Updates

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by JaysProjex, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Mogg

Mogg

Resources:
    Resources:
    I strongly encourage you to set a limit to the "gatherable items respawning". I´ve played a lot of maps with that kind of stuff, and after an hour the game become extremely laggy fault of the thousands respawned items.
    Take it as an advice, and good luck with the Beta. Im still playing your map since June 2009, i hope that the changes on the new version doesnt make it a completely diferent map.

MoGg.

2. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In the version that you're probably playing Wilderness Survival Co-op 3.0 I would assume, the items actually stop spawning after x seconds so to answer you're question yes there is now a limit. To make it a completely different map is a good question however based on my opinion the newer updates is making this game to what it was suppose to eventually turn into. I can say that you will definitely enjoy this update greatly and how will I know? It's still the Wilderness Survival you know and like I've said I try very hard to keep the game as balanced as possible I only took out what needed to be taken out but if I have taken out something it might have been "improved" or "exchanged" in for something else in return but still keeping the same aspect of the game to survive in a winter cold environment. If you're wondering about how difficult the game will become I will say this, the learning curve for beginners might be kind of higher this time around reason being the environment will be difficult to survive in but it really puts the player in a survival situation. In the original you could easily run around the map like a peace of cake metaphorically speaking and now it literally just puts you in the position where you as a player need to focus on your character to stay alive rather than just running around killing things and trust me the intensity goes way up yes you can resurrect but only to a certain extent but there are dependency's. You still will be doing the some of samething's like in the original but this depends on your own efficiency.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. Minotaur

Minotaur

Resources:
    Resources:
    yay a release date, but did it really took 1 year to make an update or you just started to work on it like 3 months ago ?

4. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Inventory Equipment == BAD BAD BAD

Extended inventory schemes are terrible for gameplay.
    Complicated and unrealistic.

Also item charge stacking is ok only if there is a limit to number of charges.

One of the best things in your map is that you have to periodically empty all your inventory inside the base to make room for new stuff. That is what "gathering" really is.

A general advice: Do not complicate it too much.
    Most mappers think that having more stuff is always better than having less, but this is rarely the case, especially with items whose recipes are not intuitive.

If you need some really complicated jass work let me know.

5. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Extended Inventory? I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to get at here the inventory system is different from all other systems that is from what I've seen thus far if it is simply to (as you suggested) to complicated then I will simply remove it and make a swap with it for something else but for now I think it's easy to use. As a side note I think it's more realistic than last time making the equipment appear as the inventory IMO much more realistic than before. Also you can move any of the equipment you desire there is no specific slot as long as it's labeled equipment. Materials and such cannot however be put into the equipment slots. Bags can easily be opened using the icon menu using the spellbook method.

Limit charges you say, yes that's already done.

Gathering is one of the major aspects of the game which is why it would have been combined with complication if I haven't done what I chose to do. Gathering consists of time alot of time yes you still have to gather but there might be a few things to make it easier and such.

I see your point of statement 3 which is - Most mappers believe having more stuff is always better than having less. My map isn't entirely being added with more of this so called "stuff" it is being replaced or rebuilt with somewhat a few extra things added mostly just tweaks to systems and changes to the environment however I do like adding things but adding simple things as items or units and how they work differently isn't a big a change nor is it effecting the gameplay of Wilderness Survival. I understand where everyone is coming from I respect it but just put this into your mind that its still Wilderness Survival.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  6. cohadar

cohadar

Resources:
    Resources:
    Making a singleplayer mode would be nice.

7. signum1221

signum1221

Resources:
    Resources:
    Please make other version or a mode wihout victory conditions and diplomacy one of my favourite things in survival maps are play whit friends wihout dm
    (I make account in hive workshop for this map im a big fan of you)

8. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Victory conditions is a must. Its a fight for survival game not a free roam game. As I said before Wilderness Survival is suppose to be a fast paced survival game it makes you think and want to move quick its suppose to get intense by doing this you must fight an opposing team. There are fun modes you can play the 2 listed those will give you 2 hours of time to play with friends against the wilderness should be enough time to explore the game and do everything as well.

9. ironman47

ironman47

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's what I'd really love to see.

I'm gett'in tired of play'in Stranded 2 ;)

10. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Single player? What exactly are you looking forward to if it had single player if it is You versus another AI (survivor unit) that won't ever happen I've said this multiple times it would be almost impossible and require alot of trigger work and knowledge to be done other than that the 2 new fun modes only require 1 player to be in game with that being said you can play by yourself.

11. ironman47

ironman47

Resources:
    Resources:
    So you can play the map by yourself. Ok great wasn't aware of that.

That is all I was interested in was being able to run the map in singleplay.

That's the way Stranded 2 is. There is no AI opponent in that game! It's strictly Single player. (too bad) Against Nature. Wild animals. Lions and tigers and bears.

Oh my.

I would never ask for any kind of scripted AI opponent.

Whad'ya think I'm tryin 'ta kill ya?

Gee, I didn't even bring my rucksack :/

12. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wilderness Survival (the map) isn't Stranded 2 so technically they aren't the same although I understand what your trying to say. Scripted AI: I don't think your trying to kill me I'm just letting you know encase you were about to ask about it like a few others have asked in the past.

13. bishounen1290

bishounen1290

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome map dude! I have a last minute proposition! (or you could add it on the next map prior to 3.1) Could you make the color of the player (survivor) blue if they are freezing? Like what you see when they are poisoned (green).. this is only of course to help NOOB players so they DON'T DIE early in the game. And also include an indicator or warning (easy to see in the screen) if they are freezing already so it would not be hard for noob players to keep forgetting to look at the condition of their warthm. Please and thank you! btw the map's really awesome! (haha said it once before!) Godspeed!

14. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Actually its already in the game but it works differently. When your warmth a.k.a (mana) hits zero/0 you gain hypothermia. Hypothermia reduces your movement speed, degenerates your health points and you are unable to use any sort of abilities and items. Its basically a second life but you have to find a fire or a get a team player to help you.

15. bishounen1290

bishounen1290

Resources:
    Resources:
    yeah, I get your point. I know and understand how all things work in the game haha.. I'm just saying that if there is an easily seen indicator for "BEGINNERS" (like what I've said in the previous post, the survivor would turn blue only if they are freezing) so that they don't die a buncha times and so that the experienced (regular players or pros) won't get frustrated on remaking the game over and over again just to make the beginners to finally understand how the warthm/mana works. I'm saying this with all do respect. I don't mean to dictate the game or to offend you or get on your bad side dear creator, your game's so awesome yo! haha.. I'm just saying that it's a really good idea. I'm saying this in part of us playing here who love your game. We keep spreading the game to all our friends and their friend's friends! Keep up developing the masterpiece and God Bless! Godspeed!

16. bishounen1290

bishounen1290

Resources:
    Resources:
    BTW I'll be studying computer programming (this is next year) after I graduate from my current course. By then I would like to help you in developing the game if it went popular to the public that the people really like it. :)

17. JaysProjex

JaysProjex

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't think you do because I just told you so I will explain it again I stated that it is already in the game but how the unit turns blue is affected differently. I was basically telling you that when you gain hypothermia then you turn blue. Spoiler alert - Also your screen will flash blue as well(you will still be able to see the screen) This same effect works with poison [green] and bleed [red]
    I don't announce every detail in the game because I don't want to spoil everything until its been played I don't want to take out all the fun and might I say the map is coming along great.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  18. bishounen1290

bishounen1290

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh is that so.. okay, gotcha..;) Thanks dear creator >and the condition effect you added there is a nice touch..:) I have no more things to quote about, for now until the map is released..:) We're so thrilled! BTW Merry Cristmas! This new map will be the most awesome christmas gift for us thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  19. sucrealism

sucrealism

Resources:
    Resources:
    sorry for being so impatient.. but I can't wait to try out the game :p will the link be up by today, by any chance?

20. vol4ok

vol4ok

Resources:
    Resources:
    I really liked you map are you going to release new wildness survival co-op ? :)