• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Wilderness Survival 5.0 - PT

JaysProjex Presents

Wilderness Survival
Created by Jay

Map Info

Requires: Warcraft III The Frozen Throne or Reforged

This map originally started in 2005

Wilderness Survival features a 5 versus 5 player base cooperative PvP style game using your skills necessary to survive in this winter-like wilderness. The map also features items that can be gathered & crafted including hunting wild animals & taking down the opposing team before your time (days) run out. If your health drops to 0 you die. If your Heat drops to 0 then you'll start to freeze to death. Keeping your heat up is vital to so you'll need to stay warm. If you die it's not over, your team can still revive you so not all hope is lost.

Free for all & exploration modes included in dialog at the start of the game with many other options to customize your survival experience.

Credits

Special Thanks:
  • Kuulgryphun3

Testers

• Hashblade
  • Thorhunter
  • Darkblade121
  • Keith22
  • Espatula
  • NeCrO_OwNeR
  • Putdeksel
  • Outlawz
  • Ilikepie
  • Jesse_James
  • DeadKeepIt
  • FML

Models

• Kitabake
  • Olofmoleman
  • Bisnar13
  • Fearstarter
  • DarkDeathKnight
  • Unclefester
  • Fingolfin
  • Sin'dorei300
  • Sunchips
  • HappyTauren
  • Hammerfist132
  • Ugougo
  • Sellenisko
  • Blood Raven
  • Chilla_Killa
  • WhiteDeath
  • Stonneash

Icons:

• Peekay
  • Kwah
  • Palaslayer
  • NFWar
  • Kimberley
  • Mr. Goblin
  • Lioness
  • OgeRfaces
  • The_Silent
  • L_Lawliet
  • Coinblin
  • D.ee
  • JollyD
  • Anachron

Map Thieves

Map Thieves

Note: These are players who ripped off my work & re-released un-official versions of this map which made them exploitable.

• Jasmira
  • Dover19
  • Buggy123
  • BraveHeroo
  • Darkblade (adds cheats)
  • Fantasyvn (adds cheats)
  • Devoltz (adds cheats)
  • Tohsak132 (adds cheats)
The map Wilderness Survival WSL is a complete rip-off of one of my previous projects known as Wilderness Survival 4.7e which was broken into. A clan called Wilderness Survival League (WSL) is a community who stole my project without permission, they're notorious for harassing & banning players.

Contents

Wilderness Survival 5.0 - PT (Map)

Reviews
19:30, 3rd Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 1
Yea it's cool. I like the INterface and the way stuff is realistic. It might be a little bit too hard but i'd say it's fun enough ;) [4/5]

Level 12
+Nice map, i love it
-Ifound bug with taming, you can tame enything with bone
9/10

Yup! New update coming soon to patch things up.
I'm glad you enjoyed my map ^_^

As for AI questions that will most likely be a later update however that is something I am not currently working on right now "atm" sorry guys >.<
Will it be added? Im not going to guarantee anything.

I do apologize for some quick patch updates sometimes I do forget to re-enable somethings but I usually get that done with in a few minutes and sometimes I might add something extra in there.

Last edited:
Level 19
Dont have much time, but heres a short review, I may expand on it later.
- Nice, informative Loading Screen
- Blue text for mana is hard to see at the start.
- The environment is nice, and well made.
- Hard with small amount of people.
4/5

PROPER REVIEW!
A nice map akin to Island Troll Tribes that is well made and has a lot of nice features.
The backpack was a little hard to click on, I suggest using a simple inventory system and reserving one inventory space for another inventory (Something like this)
I also suggest adding more recipes. I liked the hit n' run attacks the animals used, though it felt a little strange to be attacked by raccoons.
The sounds aint necessary and you should either compress them, or remove at least some of them, as they make the map a great deal bigger.
The terrain, while being good, needs a bit more height variation.
4/5 Voted for Approval

Last edited:
Level 2
Hi I love your map! it was fun.. But one problem i am having with people.. I host it and people come in and downloading
I told them to use their common sense.. and to make sure they must work together.. build campfire.. be near campfire when night is coming.. They were like oh yeah i have great common sense.. SO i started game.. People started dying, screaming for help.. it made me laugh a lot.. it was funny but it suks.. I could not keep them under control and pay attention.. they could not.. 5 mins later, game ended because of them died.. So i had to host again.. picked easy mode.. they died rapidly.... i keep explaining them about surviving.. they still keep dying.. i keep hosting.. again, again.. i gave up. i stopped playing your map :(.

Level 2
ANother bug abuit making stuff.. I just decided to make a spear.. but Somehow it made a bow and arrows.. i tried again, it just made bow and arrows..

Level 12
I am well aware of that bug, that isn't the only place where it crashes. There's a few other spots around the North East that make the game crash as well, but I have no idea what it is that is making the game crash. As for you're item trouble, the items work you might be getting an interference between items. Please re-read the recipes and also note some items do have similarities to make the item so you might have to remove an item so they do not interfere.

Level 3
Hi, just finished playing this map with a couple of friends, three to be precise. We played it local area network, and had to rehost 4 times because of early game death, or short lack of attention.
Still we all found this map suprisingly entertaining, in the sense that it was much more entertaining than expected.
I would, however, recommend a few things.
1. Maybe check up on the Spear/Bows and Arrows issue. One of my friends had that aswell.
2. Easier gameplay, via modes.
The initial gameplay is VERY hard, and mostly results in the new players dying of cold the first 1-2 playthroughs.
Also, being caught of guard by a snow storm, or lack of attention, will often kill you.
Its not really a satifying way to end the game, and it makes it very hard to get online players for.
On top of that, whether you actually find ingredients for the initial fireplace or not, is kindda random.
Instead make at least 2 modes.
First one should make players able to choice whether they wanna start with a campfire or not.
That gives new players a safe place, to figure out basic gameplay, before letting them die of cold.
The second should be ressurrection. I know its kindda agianst the concept of survival, but gameplay demands it.
Make players able to choice something like 5, 10 or 15 minutes until survival, or no ressurection at all, for the hardcore survivors. Maybe kill by another player should be permanent, while weather and animal kills respawn?
Together those two mods will make initial gameplay easier, and reduce the number of rehost required to play. Also it should increase the chance of the actual PLAYERS defeating each other, instead of a random snowstorm.

With that said, i want to give this a good mark, because of the entertainment value.
I can't really give it 5/5 with the crash bugs and all, but if you add the modes i mentioned it will be a definite 4/5.

Level 12
I'm not quite sure on your issue with bow & arrows, the recipe works just fine. There was a mode [easy] that allowed all players to start with fire, in that case nobody ever chose the other modes, so I simply gave all players to start with fire without the choosing of a mode. Random snowstorms? Not quite sure on this either, it just gets windy at night making it get colder. Its more of a realistic feeling when it gets night time well its obviously going to get colder. Most information is givin everywhere I don't think players like to *read* everything is right in front of you! I have found first time players play and last for along time or even finished the game, surprised? As for a revive system I was working on one, then I stopped and said to myself...no it would ruin the concept of the game such as yourself in which you said, I will still think about the idea though.

Last edited:
Level 3
Much too difficult; much too lag.

It's pretty well made though and the custom UI is a nice touch. Great survival map, except for the cons above.

I find it pretty hard to agree with you. Initial learning curve is kindda steep, but beyond that, i did't find the map all that hard.
And lag was never and issue for me or my friends.

Level 2
I've been looking foward to eventual remake of Wilderness Survival and I must admit you improved it greatly. However, in my opinion, there are things which would be nice to be added or fixed.

First of all, shotgun seems too strong in my opinion. In player versus player engage, the one with shotgun always wins. It makes other weapons close to useless.

Sticks/branches/logs: These should be considered as weapons since its easily to stack up the damage, which is far from realism if you want to go that direction. I'm well aware of problem with multi sticks recipes, so i would suggest seperate item like 'battle stick' or something. Could simply replace stick when clicked on it.

Same goes for axe, which stacks with all other weapons. Simple click on axe to make it 'battle axe' perhaps.

Spear: It would be great if spears could stack up to 4-6 charges. Each would have to be done seperately, but its really a waste to throw it and lose dps.

Bow and arrows: We get 15 charges weapon with high damage and very low effort. I think arrows should be done seperately with simple recipe, like Axe+stick. Whats more, it would be good to have poisonous arrows as we have spear, or fire arrows with usage of moss.

Fire: I find it kinda annoying when creeps attack fire despite the fact that it should frighten away them. Torch could be used for that purpose too. Also, fire, or overwally buildings, could be neutral, since auto-attack on enemy fire when its needed is ofter disturbing.

Helm/armor/shield: Wold be good if these could differ abit. Having all 3, we get about 50-60% damage reduce, which is good to some extend. Still, its really bothersome when while going into the wild, i have to eat each time i find racoon or two. I suggest armor to reduce damage by few points so lower creeps wont be bothering stronger players around. Shield could be higher damage reduce with 20-40% chance to succeed, helmet could just fill the armor effect, for example armor would reduce damage by 8 with minimal damage of 3, helmet would reduce damage of 3 with minimal damage of 0. Also, these 3 items could be made into one just like warmth coat to save the space.

Spike trap: Simply useless. Animals attack it before it starts to work, and it dies by 1 hit in most cases. I suggest making it ward, which explodes when someone stomps on it. Mushrooms could provide poison effect here.

Animals: Since we have no sight of buildings and other players, why should we have with animals? I suggest to remove their sight, this wont disturb anything but will just disallow exploration with pet.

Gameplay: I know you're pretty sceptic to revive. I suggest dividing game into rounds, where round time can be set by host. When theres no player of opposite team alive, simply start new round. It often happens that game ends after few minutes, it would be good to just start new round without a need of rehosting the game.

Additional suggestion: Just an idea to add chief/group leader. Chief would have some additional abilities, start with fire and could ping location.

Whew, I think that would be all for now.

Level 12
Thank you for your review now I will answer some of your questions!

-Shotgun: Yes it is quite a powerful weapon in game but I am most certain it is not the "best" playing easy mode yes in a way its strong simply because other survivors "people" can get a better head start. While playing Hard mode its not as easy as you would think. Versing so called: "Pro" players is what gets you, if you have Leather Armor or any other armor on you it all adds up it will reduce the some of the damage taken by a shotgun including others and its only has 1 shot then there is also a cooldown. You should really look into the other recipes there's different strategy's for the gameplay.

-Sticks/branches/logs: I left it the same I'll consider changing it maybe.

-Battle Axe: Not a bad idea at all I might consider it to making it something as a *Tool Axe* and just keep the regular Axe as well.

-Spear Charges: I simply kept the same concept because you are holding 1 spear not a 2-3-4-5 just 1. That is why when you throw it you can also go pick it right back up. Making the bow with charges was something I intended to do from the start. Making 1 arrow for a bow would take to long to all add up. I matched the damage with this to be able to kill a deer in 2-3 hits that is what I left it at.

-Bow and arrows: 15 charges was a reasonable amount, I really like your ideas but there is also reasons why I did not focus on other things such as hunger/energy/ammo. Making players focus on to much is simply to much to handle. I made it fast pace so you wouldn't have to go through all of that just to get a weapon working. Poison arrows and fire arrows is already something that will be upcoming in another version same goes for a fire spear as well.

-Fire: Completely agree with you on this most certainly will be changed so fires cannot be targeted by animals as well as torches.

-Armors: This is still being worked on I just threw things in so it would work for now, I feel the struggle with this one and will be improved.

-Spike trap: Mainly did this for PvP when I first added it awhile back forgot about the animals. Although I never got around to testing it much so this will be fixed as well it also already does poison damage and slows enemy movement while walking over the trap.

-Animals: Players complained about losing there tamed animals so it was a must fix or leave them out completely. I had no choice but to add sight radius back to them yes I have done and tested it already it wasn't a good decision to keep them without it. This will stay the same.

-Game: I feel everyone's pain on this but believe me I am not doing it for a reason simply because Players can Leave/Disconnect/Custom Kicked
making teams unfair. This will stay the same.

-Suggestions: Pinging will not be allowed in game, ever. As for a Leader, people fighting over a Leader, I think ill pass on that one.

Last edited:
Level 3
Okay, played the newest version with a friend just now. As always it was entertaining and enjoyable. Still vote for 4/5 from my side.
A lot of changes are really effective. The Flares are a minor work of genius.
Anyway, we've got some suggestions to make it more interesting, as the map quickly runs out of objectives. Not all these suggestions are completely within the limits of realism, but we think they will add more fun to the game.

First of all, we've got some comments on the Starting Conditions.
-There should be no text at start. I know you've added it to make new players think more logical for online games. But, bluntly put, i does not work, it only annoys people having to wait. Most newbies even refuse to read it.

-Easy, Normal and Hard is to simple. We've would like the start to be more customizable. We're thinking something like the setup for Shadowwars.
Player Red should be able to choose, the following:
-Cold effect. (Half, Normal, Double)
-Starting equipment or not. (Tent+Fire)
-Starting position. (Corner, By the Lake or Random, Random meaning ANY given point in the map, meaning that teams don't necesarily starts together)
-Ressurrection (None, After 5 minutes, after 10 minutes)

-Maybe add a Deathmatch option. (Player starts with Snowsuit, Hard Leatherarmor, Bonehelmet and Shield)

Secondly some suggestions for the Items.
-Snowsuit should not give COMPLETE immunity to cold. Maybe 75% or something like that.
-Impaled Skull ought to have some sort of "Dread Aura", maybe a decrease in Armor for all nearby enemies, or stuff like that.
-Ice sword needs to be more effective. Maybe add some "Slow" effect?
-Maybe a specific use for Polar Bear Hide?
-Spike Traps are still useless. Sry.
-Longer Vision in the Hunting Stand.

Thirdly, some suggestions for the creeps/taming of creeps. This is where it gets kindda unrealistic, but it would add more objectives to achieve.
-First of all we want MORE animals. Raise the limit from 1 till 3.
-No limit, or at least very high limit, on Rabbits.
-Maybe add some more functions for Bear and Wolf Caves (And add more caves in the process)
-Those functions would be something like: Putting a Human Corpse outside a Wolf Cave will tame THE ENTIRE CAVE, meaning that you could freely "train" wolves by adding Raw Meat into the Caves inventory. Only for the player who tamed the Cave, of course. Remember the limit at 3.
-Putting a Animal Lure in front of a Bear Cave, would attract a Bear Cub. This Cub could then be tamed with the use of Raw Meat, and also grow bigger and stronger by feeding it with Raw Meat.
-If you can find appropriate models, riding the animals would be cool. No seriously. REALLY cool!
-Make it harder to tame wolves. (Instead of a bone, a bone AND some Rawmeat, maybe?)

And then the Miscellaneous.
-What exactly does the Igloo do? We where never able to make one. The same as a Tent?
-More Ice spread througout the maps. Maybe respawning Icebergs and minor lakes?
-Maybe make the animals respawn? Stuff like Mammoth and Bears gets kindda rare. Long respawn time of course, but still.
-A secondary Inventory. One for your equipment and one for crafting. Maybe a bit like in TKOK? Or just have the equipment stored in the Backpack unit?

And finally, we've got some extreme suggestions for extra achivements. Kindda like the "Ultimate" goal.
-More buildings, like the Brewery.
-Forge (Heat and better items)
-House (Ressurects and keeps warm. Need the Human Corpse and Skull to ressurect. To give the players an option, whether to save their comrade or use his body for their own gain.)
-All these buildings would have their own collection of Recipes, which could only be accessed through that specific building. Meaning that you can only see the list of recipes by selecting the building.

Okay, that was quite a lot. But even without those options it was still entertaining. Just some suggestions.

Level 1
This map is gr8, would love seeing more ppl play it on Battle.net, unfortunately since it takes 2 hrs there is a lot of leavers, therefore I mainly play with my friends. Looking forwards to the "Co-oP Survival mode" will be nice with some team play :) Rating 5/5

Level 2
it has 1 major bug, if a survivor dies and he has a structure built, then a teammate kills the structure, it revives the dead one and removes the living ones character. it doesnt even leave a ghost to the attacker, just revives the teammate and leaves the attacker to stare at the shadowed map, whicch forces you to just chat, or leave.

Level 12
A nice Jungle Trolls Reborn copy, yet I liked it, going to try with friends :grin:

I find that very hard to believe when you say that Wilderness survival is a copy of the Troll Tribe series. The effects might be similar but they are very different in terms of gameplay it is however not a copy at all, both games were released in 2005 maybe a few months apart. All in all I hope you enjoy the game thanks.

Level 1
Very Good map and realistic but you should put AI or mods like free mod (if every one dies the game still goes on)

Level 5
aint yeti claw too imba? + why i cant stuck ammuniton for the gun in one item slot :(

Level 1
best i've ever played!

Hey takezandgoez,

i just wanted to register to say thank you for your fantastic mod and tell you that im hosting it since about 1 week now, played it around 20 times now. Even if it can be slow as hell on an atom/ion based notebook, it is way too much fun to leave it be.

We are several players now that can't wait for the next session to be hosted. It's so much fun and in our opinion very good balanced. There are some noob issues of course, but i don't consider that a problem. The texts in the start are quite good, i'd leave it that way.
Just the tips when it gets started nerve somewhat because by then you have all eyes on the wilderness. I couldn't read them once, they're too fast and i'm too busy..

Everything else is explained perfectly (figuring out sulfur may be abit hard), short, understandable texts - unlike other mods where u have to read pages of explanations - and should not make any problems to anyone.

I don't think the game is too easy, nor too hard. Its just right, and we're looking very forward to future versions! Your ideas are teriffic (ive read the other thread as well) and ur skills just admirable :)

so, to conclude:

- no ressurection decission great
- no team leaders
- shotgun is just right
- you're doing a fabulous job!

thanks for everything! :)

Level 12
-Wilderness_Fan

I have to admit you made my day and I thank you for posting, although I haven't been working on it for awhile due to life getting in the way, as a map maker I try to make sure the players know what they are doing I try to be very specific on what they need to do sort of not to easy and not to hard. If any of you guys are willing to host a game let me know I'll come right in an play with ya's just message me what your account is so I can add ya, I also like getting more ideas for the next update.

Last edited:
Level 1
hey i like you map i try it in garena to play with others well end at being dead with a bomb but i like you to make map like this make more better ones and yeah big foot is easy to kill make more bosses to make the game intersting hoping this will be make generation to generations hoping to see youre new map work and send it to me first please

Level 1
Pleeeaaassseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can someone tell me where to find ice?????

because when i see an iceberg i just attacks it....and suddenly it destroy and nothing happens! plz help me!!!

TNX IN ADVANCE! :vw_wtf:

Level 2
From what I remember, ice is produced by attacking block of ice, not damaging it. So you can stand near the block, press stop button continuously and get as much ice as you need.