• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why is my unit invisible in-game but not in Retera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So I'm working on transferring Fel Orc Warlock's eyes to regular warlock's eyes. There is no emissive .dds file for the regular Orc Warlock, only for the Fel Orc warlock in the data browser. I've exported the fel orc warlock main_emissive.dds, erased everything but the eye, adjusted saturation all the on Paint app and it is saved as a .dds. Where do I go from here? That is if I even did anything correctly. I'm just messing around with Retera Model Studios and trying to atleast see some result inside World Editor just to confirm that I've atleast done something to the model and it shows regardless of any errors. I feel like it's just simply adding an emissive to that unit in Retera Model studio. What I did was just add the Fel Orc Warlock emissive to the Warlock's in model studio but im not seeing any difference in preview even after exporting and reimporting. It shows that it's an existing asset in the Model tab/texture slide after fixing the path but shows nothing when I view it.

Update: Progress has been made. I updated the main_diffuse by just circling and copying and pasting the eye instead from the Fel Orc Warlock's Emissive and pasting it on the Main_Diffuse eye for the Warlock. It shows in Retera's as I intended it to be you can see the eyes bright red but the only thing I see in-game is beard, hair, shield, and staff. It's an invisible being. I'm kind of going off of Retera's video on YT of sorceress's eyes from green to purple but since regular Warlock has no emissive that I can just copy, edit, paste I felt that just pasting over the original eye could do the trick which it did to an extent but I'm missing something simple, I just know it. Please help, as I am getting none for the time being... Last thing I want is to learn shit then give up because I can't get the assistance I need. I figured this is a simple texture edit so would just require importing the .dds and WE would recognize it as a skin after removing the warcraft3imported\.

Only assets I imported was the .mdx and the edited main_diffuse. I'm not sure if I have to import every single .dds that comes with already with it. I'll worry about portrait after I fixed this issue. Also I'm having trouble on which save configuration is best. There's many options and I'm not sure which is the best save config from Paint.net.
Untitled.png
Untitled1.png

Last edited:
Level 9
Problem has been solved. So what I did was save the texture BC3 (Linear) DXT-5, and check-marked the "generate mip/maps" and after looking at the import paths of various models in the skins section I realize you don't simply remove war3imported\ so I put in the original path in the WE and it seemed to work. Thread can be closed. Will have more questions in the future but now I understand a lot more and can go further in my journey editing reforged models/skins. I knew it was a simple mistake. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.