1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Why eat meat?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by ManYouAreEvil, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    But i think the real question is what defines an omnivore, is it it's capability to eat it or it's habbit/natural diet?

2. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The capability to eat. For instance, I can eat green foods... I just refuse to.

//\\^^//\\

3. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay but where does your capability to eat something end?
    For instance i'm sure i could get a carnivore to eat some type of vegetable without throwing it up again, did i suddenly make him an omnivore then or does it depend on the race?
    And if it depends on the race and not the individual then if i could make the majority of the current population we have in the world of that race to eat that same type of vegetable would it then be an omnivore?
    I know the answer, it's ofc "NO", but i don't know the reasoning behind it and that annoys me :p

4. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Think in terms of: Does it consuming said thing allow for survival? Carnivores CAN technically eat plants, but the plants can't sustain them because they are unable to digest them properly, if at all.

Does this reasoning make sense?

//\\o0//\\

5. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    "Animals that depend solely on animal flesh for their nutrient requirements are considered obligate carnivores while those that also consume non-animal food are considered facultative carnivores
    Omnivores also consume both animal and non-animal food, and apart from the more general definition, there is no clearly defined ratio of plant to animal material that would distinguish a facultative carnivore from an omnivore"
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore

Easy fix :p

6. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    Read the wikipedia page, case closed. Useless to argue over word definitions.

7. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I beg to differ...

I didn't realize they had subdivided each class into smaller classes that aren't clearly defined (based on Jumper's quote). For ease of understanding I'll stick with the broader definitions of each group until the arbitrary food-consumption-percentages are declared.

Also, it's good to see others of at least acknowledging wikipedia as a viable summary!

Why eat meat? -> It tastes good! (...and because you can!)

//\\^^//\\

8. Brambleclaw

Brambleclaw

Resources:
    Resources:
    You can feed animals off of waste products or food that is not considered high enough equality to be sold. By farming animals on used land you give it time to regenerate, this helping as otherwise if it was to be farmed through crops fertilizer would most likely have to be imported, this fertilizer can also cause other environmental issues such as draining into local rivers or lakes. Animals are usually used for more than just their meat. Cows for leather. Goats for milk.

If the world was to convert overnight to 100% Vegetarian it would cause abnormal stress on the ground as animals do not require overly arable land to thrive, crops do.

There is no environmental benefit anyway from eating meat over crops or vica versa as equal amounts of energy is being taken from the soil. This is simply a cycle.

A more environmentally friendly suggestion, would be to instead of bury ( in coffins ) or burning the dead, instead mashing up all the dead and using it as some form of pseudo fertilizer.

Eating meat is healthy and it causes a varied diet. Humans enjoy the taste of Umami(Protein), that is why most like fine Wines where this is particularly strong.

If were to stop eating fish although the sea's would regenerate again extra strain would be placed on the soil.

The human population already surpasses the maximum carrying capacity of the earth in consumption by about 40%

Onto your point about homo-sapiens, yes they required meat it was what made them evolve. When Homo-Sapiens in their early stages learnt how to cook meat this allowed them to effectively pre-process their food allowing for a greater redirection of energy to the brain and body as opposed to basic consumption in the digestive tract.

An omnivore is simply a being/species that can readily digest/(eat) both plants and animals to sustain themselves. The defining difference between plants and animals being their cell structure. Human's are omnivores we can even digest grass, thanks to that oh so useful Appendix.

Also House cats are not omnivores the dry food you give them as meat substitutes can not be fully digest it damages their liver and eventually will kill them after a long period of time on this diet.

Cannabalism would probably be the best way to solve world hunger, they say 7 babies are born per second (obviously many die due to high infant mortality rates), but what if we took these babies straight from their mothers and consumed them. That is a dish which would feed a family of 4 for a day.

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/1876-soylent-green-real-life-cannibalism.html

Killing an old person and feasting on them apparently should give 1 man 200 days of sustenance. Seems viable, and it reduces overcrowding. If those who eat human flesh die due to disease then that's even better. Eventually the population will rapidly decrease to 1 billion where cannibalism would stop, wait for a huge population and repeat said procedure.

9. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Brambleclaw

I think we can disregard this is 2edgy4me crap. Ignoring the cultural and moral aspects and proposing institutionalized cannibalism, seems reasonable and well thought out. Not to even mention how terribly inefficient way of meat production that is. If you say that the solution is to force cannibalism, then I got some news for you; it would be a lot easier to force condom usage and not have those babies in the first place, maybe you wouldn't even need a robot army to enforce that law.

Otherwise a good post, dead bodies could definitely be used as a fertilizer since we already have huge cities running out of graveyards, and processing bodies into fertilizers isn't as repulsive as consuming them directly. But of course there are people who wouldn't like that.

10. HappyTauren

HappyTauren

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Bodies already create fertilizers, only they are not used in most cases. They decompose into ground after some time either way.