1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Why eat meat?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by ManYouAreEvil, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    eskimo eskimo eskimo eskimo eskimo eskimo eskimo eskimo :ogre_hurrhurr:

Nope, not a single eskimo fuck was given this day.

2. Silverfish423

Silverfish423

Resources:
    Resources:
    Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Honestly, it's cowardice to kill and eat an animal that you haven't killed yourself. The thing for us is that we learned how to kill anything we want while putting as little physical (or mental) energy as possible. I think we'd be a much more fit species if we allowed our food to grow

3. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    That doesn't make any sense.

And we are not cowards for going to the butchery and buying a couple of pounds of meat. It's just how the world works today, we don't need to teach our children how to hunt so they can feed the tribe. Shockingly today you can be an architect, or a doctor, or an engineer... today we have time to talk on the Internet about this stuff. If we were all still in a tribal society, we wouldn't have time for all of this, because we had to be 'courages' to hunt for food. There is no courage in surviving, it's just surviving.

4. Radicool

Radicool

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think the bigger problem is eating icecream, chocolate and lollipops without doing any excercise. A lot of the artificial additives to these foods are also very bad for you. Lean meat isn't so bad.

I dont know. I found this offensive because humans are not carnivors, like you mentioned above. Use another word to describe somebody who eats meat please.

True, but rainforests are also being cut down to grow plantations of food that humans eat too. If we just cancelled meat production tommorrow, there would be plenty more rainforests cut down to cater for the increased demand in plantations. My point being is that animals arn't really causing deforestation, it comes down to 2 decisions that we make. Where we want to grow our crops (in most countries there is in fact room to grow crops without demolishing rainforests for room) and the demand for these crops (which directly relates to our population and our population continues to grow sadly).

I'm trying hard to not talk too much about this, but I am against global warming. It really annoys me when people talk about global warming as a problem to support their argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq4Bc2WCsdE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vapMyAvbsbg (Watch 2:03 and onwards)

Original post, you make some good points. I am undecided on the matter if eating meat is good or bad (morally of course because thats the only reason why one should stop eating meat in my opinion), but I am cutting down on my meat consumption. The biggest 2 blockages is that meat meals are always tastier than vegetarian and that social events usually have meat at them (Australia loves it's BBQ's) so watching others eat meat is hard.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    The problem is humans are omnivores. Which does not mean they can eat both plant and animals but that they must eat both plant and animals. In nature we would eat whatever was available, be it animal or plant so our digestion and development is focused around such diet. Eating only plants can deprive our bodies of enough protein to develop and function healthily (as even the most protein rich plants are low in protein compared to meat). Eating only meat can deprive our bodies of various chemicals found only in plants as well as put our organs under immense strain to break down all the by-products of meat.

Worse still is our digestion is pretty rubbish compared to many animals that eat a similar diet. Our gut bacteria likes to waste a lot of energy producing green house gasses rather than stuff our body can use. Our stomach is not very acidic so we are very susceptible to ingested bacteria. Our immune system is very prone to targeting stuff that passes through digestion often causing illogical eating disorders involving unexpected food stuff.

In order for humans to only be able to eat plants and do well, our digestion would require modification so it can produce the required proteins efficiently.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  6. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    It tastes good.

7. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Why eat meat?

Because the day is coming where humans will comprise the vast majority of meat (with tons of fat)and cannibalism is taboo practically everywhere. Enjoy it while you can. Note, that I am speaking of real meat, not the shit produced by slaughterhouses now a days where the animals are sicker than terminally ill people...

By the way, grubs (the fat, white things you can dig up)taste like super-greasy french fries. Try a few; just make sure you bite the head 1st (massive jaws you don't want to bite you)!

//\\oo//\\

8. Zakamutt

Zakamutt

Resources:
    Resources:
    I wonder how feasible eating human flesh would be if suddenly everyone lost the taboo - would there be problems with disease etc? I mean, pragmatically it's more meat for free

9. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, there's 7 billion of us and that's growing fast. Overpopulation will always lead to disease (statistics, if nothing else).

//\\oo//\\

10. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    It would be a very bad idea to eat human flesh. Humans can age very old before they die, they consume lots of preservatives and other chemicals from their daily food. Obviously eating your own kin means that you can contract the same diseases as your meal. I think it would be like eating a 50 year old pig that has been fed poisons and carcinogens all its life. Not to even mention the other problems it would cause.

11. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's clear that you're not currently starving. Food is food, and if other things can eat us then we certainly can eat ourselves. Living with your own kin can can also give you diseases; eating them before they contract said diseases kills two birds with one stone... well, not exactly... but you get the idea.

Our meat industry pumps the animals so full of chemicals whereas our agriculture industry soaks everything in similar chemicals... if other life doesn't want to eat it, then perhaps we should take note and avoid it as well.

What are these 'other problems' that you're referring to?

//\\^^//\\

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This is very debatable. We are animals and animals some times resort to cannibalism. However some animals do not.

Direct cannibalism is bad for a species as a whole as it will often result in poor success. Virtually no complex animal does direct cannibalism, examples of direct cannibalism are mostly individuals (psychopaths?) rather than a species trait.

Some cannibalism in animals is down to a lack of care or understanding. A crocodile might eat a young of its own species because it is distantly related, hungry and it matches the size of other prey. A mother crocodile on the other hand will almost never eat its own young, and those cases that were documented where it did happen had other reasons behind it (usually related to mistaken prey or some behavioural disruption).

Some animals are well known to cannibalise carrion of their own species. This can be an evolutionary advantage as it recycles energy. The creatures that do this might never kill their own kind for food directly. This however beings major problems with diseases which is why humans are generally programmed not to do it (even though some do and those that do have huge sickness problems). However one can assume this is related to humans defective immune and digestive systems.

Humans also have another reason. Due to the development of trade, humans will often produce products they do not use themselves in exchange for products that do. If one of these products involves human body parts it causes a very dangerous and criminal cycle to begin.

Such a case was documented in Victorian England where respectable scientists would pay good money for the bodies of dead humans to conduct anatomical experiments on them for both training and research purposes with ultimately the goal to help mankind as a whole. As defiling corpses was frowned upon it was often very difficult to find people willing to donate their bodies upon death to science (a practice that is much more common and encouraged nowadays in an age where most people are cremated anyway). In order to satisfy this demand for corpses, criminals started digging up freshly buried bodies and selling them as if they were donated to science. However, they did not stop there and decided it was far less work and yielded a higher quality (more money) corpse to kill a person just to sell their corpse. Many such murders were committed back in Victorian England and fortunately the people were eventually brought to justice on the gallows but this example cannot be allowed to repeat and why any such demand for human body parts cannot be started.

Fast forward 200 years and even today in Africa you find poor babies being killed just to satisfy some crazy Witch Doctor needs. This is horrific and shows that any such demand will result in huge illegal tragedy.

I will not even raise the food chain issue. Seeing as we are mostly an end point of the food chain you can guess this is a huge problem. Do not think all that medicine you take passes out your system, ever.

13. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    I was talking more about cannibalism in a first world country where exists a stable society and the law enforcement is strong, there it would be practically impossible. Of course a starving village in the wilderness is another case.

DSG explained it well above.

14. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @DSG:
    Herbivores do not cannibalize.
    Carnivores and Omnivores can, but rarely do.

With the exception of most arthropods (and some fish) it is rare to see cannibalism and even more so that animals eat their own offspring.

Of course cannibalism is dangerous for a species. I doubt you'll find a person to disagree with that.

Food is food, though. There's nothing wrong with being selective about what you eat when there's a variety of food out there.

@Nuclear:
    I see; I was talking about the remnants of a society that has collapsed due to extreme scarcity.

To be fair(to me mostly), we spiders have no qualms with cannibalism. Stay alert, stay alive!

//\\0o//\\

15. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    You will find surprisingly little cannibalism in starving villages. Most humans would rather die than resort to cannibalism to survive (which is what most life is genetically programed to do). Cannibalism usually only occurs for other reasons. Mostly it is because of psychopaths that have no respect for the lives of others. A less known but more controversial case was due to science, where during the days of wooden ships it was often written that in the case of food shortages cannibalism should be executed of the dead or dying to try and secure the survival of other crew members. Obviously this had rather bad side effects as often the survivors would go on to only cannibalise but both of represent deviations from natural behaviour.

This all comes down to whether or not a Herbivore is really a Herbivore or if it is an Omnivore in disguise. A cow is an example of a true Herbivore as it's digestion is entirely adapted to processing grass (cellulose) and so gains nothing from eating meat and meat can even harm its digestion. More recent Herbivore evolutions such as monkeys that eat mostly fruit or some Lizards have not made such specialized digestive systems so could still resort to other food stuff (meat) if times were desperate. In short, only a specialized digestive system makes you a herbivore, otherwise you are an omnivore unless by behaviour.

16. Nuclear

Nuclear

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm afraid your long reply was kinda unnecessary, I just quickly made up that example without any thought. But thanks for explaining anyway.

17. Boris_Spider

Boris_Spider

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @DSG:
    A 'herbivore in disguise' isn't really a herbivore, now is it...

~Plants only = Herbivore
    ~Plants + Animals = Omnivore (Scavenger is a special case of this group)
    ~Animals only = Carnivore

Diet preference isn't a factor in the classification. Piranhas for the most part eat low hanging fruit during the growing season. In the dry season, they resort to eating meat (most readily available food supply); this results in their classification as an omnivore.

//\\oo//\\

18. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Is a house cat an omnivore? Interested to see people's opinions.

19. Jolly_jumper

Jolly_jumper

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you mean a cat that never ever leaves the house and only eat dried meat/fish substitutes?
    Hard to say, not sure what they contain if it's real meat or not, but since a wild cat would eat both mice and grass i'm sure the house cat would aswell had it only been taught how and therefor i'd say it's an omnivore :p

20. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I know of house cats that eat peas, so that would quite clearly make them omnivores.