1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Why eat meat?

Discussion in 'Medivh's Tower' started by ManYouAreEvil, Oct 15, 2012.

1. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why do you eat meat?
    Why should one consider to stop eating meat?

Moral aspect:

Many meat eaters claim that we are top of the food chain(a biology concept), and therefore we should eat meat. This is so brutally wrong, humans are not at the top of the food chain - we are outside it. We have no natural place in it. We have unbalanced the ecosystem and played some sort of "God". In addition to this, environmental damaging as it also neglects the argument that we should eat meat because we are top of the food chain - this is factually incorrect and therefore a non-valid argument. Evolutionary, We have not always eaten meat, as many believe, but has lived almost exclusively on un-animalic food until only a few centuries ago.

Some meat eaters believe that God has made us superior to the animals, and that therefore we should have superiority with them and simply eat them just because we can, must and should. The Bible says this, but it says that we should treat animals with respect and eat "fruit of the earth" like potatoes. Religion is ambiguous and leaves room for different interpretations.

So why choose the interpretation that says we should not eat meat? Here comes morality into the picture again. What really sets us apart from the animals? There is nothing concrete. We are not better suited to the world, we can not measure ourselves in muscle strength, we have no teeth as other animals do, no claws, no fur, no armourskin. We have our mind, we can think critically and morally. If you choose the narrow path and think "I'm human, I'm superior, I should eat meat" one is not using the only thing that separates us from the animals and makes us "superior". One doesn't think. With our ethical thinking, we should therefore consider the following aspect.

Physiologically aspect:

Man is, contrary to what many uninformed believe, NOT carnivores. We are omnivores, we "can" (as in, we're able to) live on both animal and vegetable diet. Our teeth are the typical teeth of omnivores, we have both teeth to tear meat from bone and to grind vegetable fibers. Our digestive systems are herbivores digestive systems. The enzymes in our intestines break down the meat slowly, and handles vegetable food better. Animal foods contain more unhealthy fats than vegetable diet and leads to many of today's common diseases such as blood clots, heart problems and obesity (an abnormal amount of it can also cause damage to several organs).

With this in mind - that we can do well (survive without lacking anything, dying from starvation or malnutrition) on a vegetarian diet, we should utilize our ability to choose morally - to choose to eat vegetable. Many carnivores are using this argument that we have always eaten meat, it is natural, a comfortable habit that is difficult to break. In the times we live in now, it's easier than ever to be a vegetarian, there is an enormous amount of resources that be used to achieve a full sound diet. "Because it tastes good" is not an argument why it would be morally justified more an explanation to why you enjoy it.

Global aspect:

"Witty" carnivores often points out that vegetarians eat animal food. That is not the case. A fraction of the world's soybean production is devoted to vegetarian products, mostly be used to feed the animals, mostly cattle and livestock around the world. We've basicly plown over the earths rainforest to make room for more soybean production as a provender for cattle, and without the rainforest - the Earth's lungs - the amount of Carbonoxide will dangerously increase (as it have) and the Global Warming becomes more vicious than ever (as it have). We're not only chopping down the rain forests mostly for soybean farms but also to make room for animals farm, breeding, raising and preparing animals for slaughter. The designated area to bring up about 1 kilo meat would realistically work to bring up at least ten times as much vegetables. This is because the industry and the energy is then taken up directly instead of being taken to a new energy level (ie, eaten by a cow), if you've ever read some basic biology or nature science you've probably heard of the energy pyramid which shows that the for each step the energy is reduced by about ~90%. Which means out of 1 kilo meat we get less energy than from 1 kilo vegetables as they're the first step.

Meat transports account for a large part of the transport sector, which also contributes to massive carbonoxide emissions. Not only the meat is transported, but also animal feed and so it contributes even more. If, instead, they would carry only vegetables would reduce emissions significantly. Other gaseous emissions that meat industry contributes to the methane from cows. Even paddies contribute to this, but it is significantly less than a meat farm.

Summary:

To cut down on meat eating is good for public health and the environment. Other bads like cigarettes and alcohol are taxed in most european countries as far as my knowledge goes, thus I think also that the meat should be taxed higher so people are forced to cut back on it.

2. Ralle

Ralle

Owner

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I find meat to be one of the most tasty things on this planet. However, I would become vegetarian if I had to kill the animal in order to eat it. I consider myself quite a hypocrite because of this fact and would prefer to become a vegetarian, but I am weak. I don't have the discipline, nor grit to make this happen.
    What's your situation on this?

3. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've just started converting to become a vegetarien just recently. Honestly i don't think it's a problem at all, might be a little hard to get used to at first, but it's definantly worth it. As it makes you feel incredibly healthy and gives excess amounts of energy, which is pretty sweet. I occassionally eat seafood though.

I don't live like this because of moral ideals or anything, i just like staying healthy.

4. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    Meat has good taste, good textures. It's awesome and I don't imagine my life without meat.

5. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I enjoy meat aswell, it's tasty. But I chose to refrain from because of a principle and a position-taking, and even if it doesn't revolutionize the world it sure is a small factor that can be significant to a major change with enough people.

(Often I have some futuristic vision that people in the future will all be vegetarians, so maybe when historians look back us few individuals from now - they'll think we were sophisticated or before our time :p )

Two documentaries that actually persuaded me into a vegetarian diet was Food, Inc. and Earthlings.

Documentaries
    The documentary Food, Inc. (unfortunately spanish subtitles) shows how repulsive the meat system is in the United States

And Earthlings.

I'm fairly familiar with the situation you're in.
    I'm quite an undisciplined person myself, I'm lazy.
    I rather watch telivision than work out, I rather play video games than study.
    I don't do what I need to do in many cases and instead do what I feel to do because I'm lazy.

But becaming vegetarian was much easier than I thought it to be.
    I never got around exercise no matter how much I really needed it, but becoming vegetarian took very little effort at all! (it also helped me financially, vegetarian food is much much easier)

I think a major factor that actually helped me stay on the vegetarian diet was that I told people that I've become a vegetarian, and stubborn as I am I couldn't prove them right when they claimed I won't stay vegetarian for long.
    It's a relative easy life choice to do, compared to others - as working out or studying (imo).

I've been a vegetarian for almost 5 years now and I can see many benefits of vegetarianism, and hopefully if you ever convert you'll experience them aswell!

-Ladies
    so many girls you know, there's no lie that most vegetarians are girls (excluded those who are because of religious belief, hindus or buddhists)
    and a lot of girls are impressed. So if you're having some trouble on the sexual front, this is a certainly a boost! (My standard pick up line, works everytime: "Hello, I am a vegetarian." and she goes "ah mah gaawd that's so hot, let's mate!"
    -Health
    I do feel a lot healthier
    -Financial
    It's so much cheaper!

6. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I often hear this

also

It's quite sad if meat really is such a big part of your life, I'd hope there's more to life and that makes worth living than meat :p

But I agree with you, it has an enjoyable taste (at least some of it, I remember not enjoying low quality meat like sausages) and it is quite enjoyable.

But it is a luxury you would certainly survive without, and maybe even consider actually living without?

7. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    You could also consider living without an adress or a roof above your head. Just because you can it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

8. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    That's a pretty bad analogy as living homeless is not something that is prefered for a healthy lifestyle.

9. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry, I was just dwelling on the pure form of the concept "could".

I mean sure you have all the statistical benefits to be a vegetarian.

You also have the statistical benefits of never traveling with a plane. Sure, we all know that traveling with a plane is supposedly the most secure way to travel. On the other hand if the plane has ANY problems, the slightest, it will go down and kill you along with it. So yeah, I think statistics should encourage you to not travel by plane. However, if I would been offered a life-time opportunity but the impediment is that I need to travel by plane, would I do it? Hell yeah! Life is worth risking at times. Life is meant to be lived, Life is meant to be felt.

But what it means to eat?
    Well eating is our way to 'absorb' vitamins and proteins so we can continue to function. So if you keep the concept of 'eating' at that initial level, sure, let's all become vegetarians.

But is eating something more than meets the eye?
    Well for me it does. I actually like tasty food. And not just tasty, but with the right amount of 'chewieness'. When I chew my food I want a certain sensory feeling. And than there is the sauce... /drewl. And when I say meat I don't refer to chicken meat, but pork, cow, horse, rabbit, deer. Those are so good, especially when well cooked, that... giving up on meat is like giving up on chocolate. Or like giving up on coffee, or beer.
    I happen to have a friend, who is a really good cook. Not many times but few times a year, we buy food together and than he cooks it and than we all eat. And it's like this bonding thing. And even when we go out, we sometimes stop to buy something which contains meat. Because we feel that the situation requires some meat. It's a lifestyle I guess. And I am not obese or have high cholesterol, because I eat proportionate.

So you see, I don't care about what the future Earth will think about me. Because anyway they will be eating much worse things. And if the future generations will all turn vegetarian because there isn't enough meat to go around, my guess is that they won't say "Oh them troggs, eating meat? Disgusting" but more like "Oh them troggs, they couldn't stop from overpopulating above 7mld people on this planet, and taking each corner of Earth. Now we have no right to purchase meat, except if you enter in dirty politics or are some big hotshot".

So I think being a vegetarian is certainly a valid choice, but with the current problems the world is facing, I doubt that it solves any of them.
    And for me? I see no real reason to give up on meat. I feel good, and success with the ladies has no impediment because of me or anyone is eating meat.
    As for the financial argument, well we got money to spend them, and I don't think not eating meat will give you any serious or real financial boost. But even if it was, yeah I would spend my money on meat.

10. Aeroblyctos

Aeroblyctos

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I don't even want to think about how meat is served to my table; I just want to eat it.

11. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Aeroblyctos & Edhel-dur@I don't think that kind of attitude is healthy. Just to draw a little more dramatic comparison: It would be like turning a blind eye to foreign conflicts because they don't affect you and therefore you don't need to support with any aid. Which could be as simple as boycot, money-support, votes or critism.

One of the best prime examples horrible food i know is Scampi. The scampi industry is an enviromental disaster and destroys great areas of mangrove forests. Which is why it's heavily encouraged to drop it from the food dish. As far as i know they've stopped selling it in Sweden.

So i'm not saying go-vegan even though i would encourage it, but rather be aware of the food you eat. I'm not talking about what's mixed in your salami, because it'd probably look nasty. Just figure where your food is manufactured. For example cow meat where i live, Norway it's as random as it can get. It may come from an old milk cow or a cow that has been grazing simply.

12. Edhel-dur

Edhel-dur

Resources:
    Resources:
    All food, vegies and meat, is intoxicated with chemicals and estrogen and different stuff anyway. You know chickens are made to eat their own poop right? Anyway I said and cleared my point so I will not continue.

13. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well you're free to eat egological food.
    I'm sure alot of food is intoxicated, especially with food additives to preserve the food. So a small dose of sceptism would be appropriate. EU has been good when it comes to banning certain products that don't follow the neccesary guidelines. For example they prevent the use of palm oil, which is cheap to produce, but dangerous for you heart and i think it stains blood vessels too. I have an impression that the standards in the US are wild as gene-modified food is legal. Which i really think we should be pre-cautious about since there may be side-effects to it.

It wouldn't surprise me, as chickens are probably the most abused domesticated animal.

14. rulerofiron99

rulerofiron99

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I eat meat because my ancestors all ate meat, causing my body to (biologically) prefer meat to veggies.

Depending on your blood type, your body is better/worse at taking the good stuff from different food stuffs, which might be processed differently by your body.

This affects your energy level and your scent (among other things); e.g. if I eat wheat-based products, my crap stinks quite badly. And no, this example is not an example of being wheat-intolerant or -allergic.

Do I feel bad about it? No. I'm an animal that requires sustenance.

Do I think America's meat machine is a terrible thing? Absolutely.

Here's a screenshot from a film called Home:
    Screenshot

[​IMG]
    In these vast foodlots, trampled by millions of cattle, not a blade of grass grows.

A fleet of trucks from every corner of the country brings tons of grain, soy meal and protein-rich granules that will become tons of meat.

The result is that it takes 100 liters of water to produce 1 kilogram of potatoes, 4,000 liters for 1 kilo of rice and 13,000 liters for 1 kilo of beef.

Not to mention the oil guzzled in the production process and transport.

The scale of cattle farming over there just baffles me, and this happens in other parts of the world as well. Down here in South Africa, we have similar things, even though studies have shown that the same area of land can support more venison (wild animal meat).

So I'll agree that we need to cut down on our beef consumption.

15. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am not a troll.

I never said or even tried to imply any of these in any way, they are far from my personal opinions.

Homo sapiens sapiens do NOT need meat, how do you explain religious people living a healthy life without ever eating food (hindus, buddhists).
    I suppose they need meat but some miracle saved them?

Never heard of meat eaters claiming such thing, being on the top of food chain or superior, I swear this is some super troll thread.

Moral is debateable, that's what I am putting forth.
    I am not trolling, seriously you are not adding anything to the discussion by just saying "troll!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Oh, look. Again.

Again.

And again.

For further notice I'd like to add this is a SERIOUS thread, not a troll thread.

16. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    So fucking true.

For me meat and cigarettes are alike in the sense that I wouldn't want to imagine life without either. Immoral? Maybe. Fucks given? Yeah, zero. Sorry.

17. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Do you have the same attitude against other moral questions, even political ones?

Quite sad if so.

18. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My responsibility lies not to myself but to all future generations to come. That is the core of my moral. My temporary life on this planet is irrelevant in the long run, a cigarette or some pork won't change that.

19. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    eImtoR's recent posts along with the ones responding to them have been deleted. They were deemed to be rather offensive.
    Just wanted to let you know, should that have confused you.

20. ManYouAreEvil

ManYouAreEvil

Resources:
    Resources:
    I somewhat agree, even if I do think that you do have a responsibility towards yourself aswell.

I'm not going to present vegetarianism as some solution to world hunger, greed, intolerance and the factor that will invoke world peace - because it's not.
    But enviromentally it is somewhat important actually, if we are to turn "green" in the future I'm fully convinced that we have to turn vegetarian or at least lessen on our meat consumtion.