1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Why does Hive love ponies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by OmNomNom, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I must admit, I would probably have gotten into it anyway, being the sucker that I am for good animation and adult-humor in kids shows (i.e. early Spongebob, Phineas & Ferb (IMO)). However, I wouldn't have gotten as involved as I am were it not for the online community; I'm kinda a big fan of memes, and this whole "pony" thing just touches something delightful inside me.

... Wow, that sounded gay. :p

2. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wow this thread went to derp really freaking fast

People like ponies for a number of reasons:
    -the show's good on multiple bases (animation, music, humor, etc.)
    -the community's friendly (as opposed to most internet communities)
    -they like the products of the fandom so far (art, music, etc. etc.)
    -they like the sort of "freedom" it provides to normal internet stereotypes of what the typical person can and cannot like, sort of like "making a statement" for some people

All in all, there's a number of reasons to like it
    It's not really a meme so much anymore but a community, and of course if you don't want to be a part of that you can always just enjoy the show itself

What it's not:
    -Pedophilia: liking a cartoon makes you a pedophile apparantly? What about South Park? Or Ugly Americans? Why put a double standard on this cartoon specifically if the target age is for a younger audience, show producers work to make their shows appealing for all audiences, typically in this case children and their parents, so why can't someone who's like 18 like it? People can like things without it being fetish related, that's something the internet constantly forgets.
    -Homosexuality: Just because someone likes ponies doesn't mean that they're gay, or vice versa. That's honestly a pretty stupid assumption with no real base, if anything it just seems to stem from the societal notion to call anything that someone doesn't like "gay."
    -Gay Pedophile: speaking of assumptions with no real bases, if you'd pay attention to what you're saying there you'd realize that is a really, really stupid accusation that contradicts itself.

For some people they like it as a meme, IE because it's cool - but these guys normally aren't that devoted and get bored of it quickly enough though.

So no, it's not just a reiteration of Fsjal, it's not a fetish subculture and it's not a meme.

Hopefully this clears things up.

Heck, Homestruck fan trolls have been around for how long now and no one's complaining about them

3. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgsXkmQ6ZI
    Watch this and all your questions will be solved

4. harmjanz

harmjanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    bloody hell... there are as many people for ponies as there are people against them... we just need to pick up our guts and have and anti pony thread as well...
    screw it! close this thread, i am starting an anti poni thread!

5. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Okay how about you look at it like this:
    -See all the people supporting ponies?
    -See all the people bagging on them?

Who seems like nicer people to hang around with?

@Harmjanz

Anti-threads are stupid and a waste of yours and anyone who posts them's time, you seriously want to devote time and effort to something you hate? On top of that I can almost guaranty it'll get closed for flaming very quickly (not because it's anti-pony, but because anti threads in general just lead to flaming and tons of pointless arguing).

6. harmjanz

harmjanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    point is this: even if there are a thousand people committing suicide with a wrench, doesn't mean I am gonna be as stupid as to search for the nearest hardware store...

7. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    just let the pony loving guys have fun with ponies and just go on with your life.

8. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    @Harmjanz

Okay I can't put this in any less blunt way right now so I'm just going to outright say it

Are you trying to sound like an imbecile right now?

It's not like anyone is forcing you to like ponies

9. Hubcool

Hubcool

Resources:
    Resources:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtl-sb7gV3Q

10. ragingspeedhorn

ragingspeedhorn

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    What a douchebag. Why do people make these shitty reactionvideoes? And who actually enjoys watching them?

11. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Wherewulf just ignore the kids. when/IF they grow up... anti pony threads, i laughed

12. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Moderators themselves said million times one pony thread is enough. Just saying.

This is not an anti-pony thread. This is just some guy asking a question related to ponies... but he is pretty much neutral towards ponies.

13. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    If anything I'm imagining the original poster is trolling, at least based on his history of posts - if he's serious then it's perfectly fine too. He's not the problem, it's the others flaming everyone who posts why they like ponies.

One post by Pyritie saying that if there's pony being spammed outside the pony thread to report it (as you would any spam) is equivelant to the moderators saying a million times? Duplicate threads get closed for obvious reasons, we don't need duplicate threads if there's on already active on the topic.

You seem to constantly misunderstand the point in that statement, if it's spam report it - not everything related is spam and not everything related is going to be treated as spam, if someone is legitimately posting tons of ponies for no reason outside the pony thread report away, just don't start complaining when no one bothers to do anything because someone posted 1 macro in a thread that was relevant to the point they were trying to make.

We're not going to bend the rules here either way, for or against ponies.

14. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was actually talking about the thread that got trashed earlier today...

15. TheKurt009

TheKurt009

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually there are T.R.A.P agents here on a revolution against ponies too.

16. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    We are not agents, we're UN peacekeepers!

17. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oooh gent...
    - That can be considerably misinterpreted.

Anyways, yes, the most efficient way of killing a meme is to ignore it,
    most likely rising up against it, fighting a fruitless war, to remove it will only
    give the meme enthusiasts more the reason to keep on going with their silly
    little thing.

Thats for me voicing something in this matter, at least.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  18. Sky Green

Sky Green

Resources:
    Resources:
    I dislike ponies cause of the spam that was here before Pyritie told us that we can report it as spam, also I don't think you are gay just cause you watch a show for kids, the show is not that bad, and I see the community is very nice, but seriously U be annoying...

19. harmjanz

harmjanz

Resources:
    Resources:
    watching a kid show doesn't make you gay... it just makes you mentally underdeveloped... its like watching teletubbies... lol although the new terrortubbie show in germany is f***ing hilarious... A point would be to ask the mods to simply ban all pony tpics so that people can focus on wc3

20. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    How about we ban all warcraft 3 cause I dont like your war3 as this is old game and people need to move to sc2 cause I say so? Oh that's how you make it too. The only 'underdevelopment' is if you watch NOTHING but cartoons at some later age - an Admin here is like so but don't put all under that flag. If you watch things for grown ups and casually watch some cartoon, this is mental underdevelopment? Your points about people watching ponies are hilarious and invalid. Because trolling those who like something means you are so developed mentally, 'right'. Shut up and leave if you don't like it, nub.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.