1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Vote for the best entries in the 13th Music Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

When will the real project start appearing?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by Tleno, Jul 27, 2010.

?

When will people start exploiting the SC2 mapping potential completely?

Poll closed Aug 10, 2010.
  1. We'll have great maps fully exploiting SC2 engine until the end of this year

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. It will take about a year for really good projects to start appearing.

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. It will take about the same time it took for Warcraft 3

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. It will take even longer than it took for Warcraft 3

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  5. It will never happen because SC2 modding capabilities are andless.

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. deathreaven

deathreaven

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think that good maps will start appearing rapidly, especially once the site gets Starcraft II maps up. Until then we won't be downloading too many maps. The problem is that it'll take a while to get the games debugged enough to play effectively. So I'd say a month before there are enough great games that are less bugged.

2. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You don't download maps off of sites now. You do it ingame via Blizzard's publishing system.

3. Tleno

Tleno

Resources:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't you think you got this thread a bit.. wrong? I am seriously curious what Hivers think about how much time it's gonna take for us to really understood the differences between WC3 and SC2 modding and will make something great.
    And you don't have to have a team of professionals to make a really great map or campaing, you just have to have a great idea and enough skills to make it real.
    Now, I hope we can return to main discussion.

4. Statharas

Statharas

Resources:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Did you think before writing that wall of text? Just that. Did you? Buy Sc2 and work on it. I HATE NOOBS THAT THINK THEY CAN TACKLE GE THAT EASILY.

5. Cardinian

Cardinian

Resources:
    Resources:
    There was no discussion. Just a vague question with no real answer. The galaxy editor is a powerful tool. I am willing to bet that even the top modders (the most serious and clued in people) will only ever understand 80% of the Galaxy Editor fully.

It is a modular tool. Therefore, the people who use it, work separately and in groups. For example:
    • Terrain
    • Data Editor
    • GUI Triggers
    • Scripts, Codes & Libraries
    • In-game Cinematic's
    • Campaign Cutscenes [campaign]
    • Starmap/Briefing scenarios [campaign]
    • Sound editor

And, that is only a partial list. Then theres all the things that are out-with the galaxy editor that a 'great map project' deserves:

• Game design document - essential for organising a team
    • Game concept writer
    • Concept artists
    • Story-line developer
    • Script-writer
    • 3D Modeller
    • 3D Animator
    • 3D Renderer
    • 2D Artist

What I meant by saying we are amateurs, is that, we might have to do 3 or 4, or even all of those aspects ourselves. And, if we were to have a team of people - it would not be as well oiled and professional since we are not earning a salary, we do not have deadlines and we do not have a manager/boss organising us and telling us what to do.

So, your question really does have no answer. Instead of promoting vague discussion on here, get into the Galaxy Editor and LEARN IT!!!