• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

When will the real project start appearing?

When will people start exploiting the SC2 mapping potential completely?

• We'll have great maps fully exploiting SC2 engine until the end of this year

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • It will take about a year for really good projects to start appearing.

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • It will take about the same time it took for Warcraft 3

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • It will take even longer than it took for Warcraft 3

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • It will never happen because SC2 modding capabilities are andless.

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
Currently most of modders are trying to make something they couldn't make in warcraft 3, like custom interface third-person RPGs. And as we all know, most of really amaizing Warcraft 3 maps have been released in past years altrough we have the game for more than five years.
So the question is: When will we start having a truely great projects in SC2?

Level 6
People are more familiar with the general modding process now that they've had some experience with warcraft 3, but I still think it will take some time before mappers stop experimenting and actually settle with making a complete project that combines the new tools available to them with the overall essence of a good map, fun map.

Level 7
TONIGHT

lol... just kidding. I think it's going to be hard to say what a "truly great project" is because there is so much you can do with the new editor. New and innovative maps will come out soon and everyone will think they're amazing until a new amazing map comes out a couple of weeks later. Compared to what we're used to (Warcraft 3) I think with the possibilities of SC2 we will be seeing incredible maps in no time.

Last edited:
Level 9
its not about pushing sc2 editor to the limits here, so what if your map have everything but you lose to a popular game? i suggest you make it popular and slowly experiment with the codes. when the time is right, add it in and people will call you 'genius', 'pro', etc.

Level 11
Personally I think SC2 doesnt have that good editor. You cant make big variety of different type of maps since things arent functional. Specially FPS thingy they faked on blizzcon, I think it was blizzcon.

People are trying to do FPS or TPS maps, but that just isnt working.

And other systems have flaws... like Top Down.
Some systems are even worse. Yes it has more features but... not handy.

We will see... seems like its best for 2D mps or side scrollers. and there are some interesting concepts... It custom maps wont die in 1 year, then we probbly will see soemthing popular in 6 months to 1 year I guess.

Personally I think SC2 doesnt have that good editor. You cant make big variety of different type of maps since things arent functional. Specially FPS thingy they faked on blizzcon, I think it was blizzcon.

We will see... seems like its best for 2D mps or side scrollers. and there are some interesting concepts... It custom maps wont die in 1 year, then we probbly will see soemthing popular in 6 months to 1 year I guess.

false

people just need to learn how to fully maximize the utilization of this editor

Level 2

Urghh the ignorans is to strong with this one! You sound like a butthurt kid who couldint afford the game tbh. Fail troll. Oh well so this map must be fake then.

Level 11

Instead of writing a paragraph about how obnoxiously wrong you are I'm just going to write this sentence.

Level 14
I find it as a pretty much LOL (and I'm not reffering to League of Legends) question.
Just like any game bussiness you first need to have "the vision". Than you need "the engine" (also known as game systems) which will allow you to make your vision.

In other words, your question pretty much has no answer.

And just like SC2 competitive gaming, with each passing year it will get better through different projects.

My FPS project is working perfectly. Except obviously, you need to lower your graphics: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/project-development-664/project-special-marines-fps-170251/

I think epic maps will appear till the end of the year. Like mine :p

Level 5
When will the realy great map projects will start appearing?

I can perhaps offer my only piece of criticism towards The Hive Workshop - in this one thread.

Too many people spend hours on Internet Explorer/Safari/Google Chrome/Opera/Firefox - instead of actually in the Galaxy Editor.

So, to answer your question - a 'really great map project' takes years to develop. We are amateurs. Perhaps a team of people, who are serious about map making - can create a 'good' map in a month. Then it will take an indefinite amount of time for that map to be perfected, balanced, tested, and finalised...

My initial answer to this thread was sarcasm - in case no-one noticed.

Level 13

You are so wrong it isn't even funny. There were already good AND working FPS and TPS maps in the beta for crying out loud!

Level 9
The editor needs a lot of work fixing up the trigger editor, adding more natives and such.

Also, pointers ffs. Why did they ever remove those?

I like it pretty much so far, as long as tools like Andromeda deliver it should be awesome.

Level 6
I think that good maps will start appearing rapidly, especially once the site gets Starcraft II maps up. Until then we won't be downloading too many maps. The problem is that it'll take a while to get the games debugged enough to play effectively. So I'd say a month before there are enough great games that are less bugged.

Level 27
I can perhaps offer my only piece of criticism towards The Hive Workshop - in this one thread.

Too many people spend hours on Internet Explorer/Safari/Google Chrome/Opera/Firefox - instead of actually in the Galaxy Editor.

So, to answer your question - a 'really great map project' takes years to develop. We are amateurs. Perhaps a team of people, who are serious about map making - can create a 'good' map in a month. Then it will take an indefinite amount of time for that map to be perfected, balanced, tested, and finalised...

My initial answer to this thread was sarcasm - in case no-one noticed.

Don't you think you got this thread a bit.. wrong? I am seriously curious what Hivers think about how much time it's gonna take for us to really understood the differences between WC3 and SC2 modding and will make something great.
And you don't have to have a team of professionals to make a really great map or campaing, you just have to have a great idea and enough skills to make it real.
Now, I hope we can return to main discussion.

Did you think before writing that wall of text? Just that. Did you? Buy Sc2 and work on it. I HATE NOOBS THAT THINK THEY CAN TACKLE GE THAT EASILY.

Level 5
Don't you think you got this thread a bit.. wrong? I am seriously curious what Hivers think about how much time it's gonna take for us to really understood the differences between WC3 and SC2 modding and will make something great.
And you don't have to have a team of professionals to make a really great map or campaing, you just have to have a great idea and enough skills to make it real.
Now, I hope we can return to main discussion.

There was no discussion. Just a vague question with no real answer. The galaxy editor is a powerful tool. I am willing to bet that even the top modders (the most serious and clued in people) will only ever understand 80% of the Galaxy Editor fully.

It is a modular tool. Therefore, the people who use it, work separately and in groups. For example:
  • Terrain
  • Data Editor
  • GUI Triggers
  • Scripts, Codes & Libraries
  • In-game Cinematic's
  • Campaign Cutscenes [campaign]
  • Starmap/Briefing scenarios [campaign]
  • Sound editor

And, that is only a partial list. Then theres all the things that are out-with the galaxy editor that a 'great map project' deserves:

• Game design document - essential for organising a team
  • Game concept writer
  • Concept artists
  • Story-line developer
  • Script-writer
  • 3D Modeller
  • 3D Animator
  • 3D Renderer
  • 2D Artist

What I meant by saying we are amateurs, is that, we might have to do 3 or 4, or even all of those aspects ourselves. And, if we were to have a team of people - it would not be as well oiled and professional since we are not earning a salary, we do not have deadlines and we do not have a manager/boss organising us and telling us what to do.

So, your question really does have no answer. Instead of promoting vague discussion on here, get into the Galaxy Editor and LEARN IT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.