• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What would be the best, easiest way to have underground units move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
It's a realtively basic feature in many games, the idea being that you order a unit to burrow underground, but instead of being static, you can still order it to move around, like it was digging a tunnel, and this could be used to avoid terrain obstacles and the like.

My initial idea was to simply set a unit's movement type to "fly" and give it a negative value, and that basically does what I wanted, except it looks mediocre when the unit moves up or down cliffs, into water or close to things with Fly-Over Height, because it will inevitably pop out of the ground like some mole-dolphin. For normal flying units it makes sense, because they looks best with a smooth gliding motion, but for the digging unit, it kinda totally ruins the suspension of disbelief.

I looked around and experimented a bit with triggers that would make sure the "deep flying" unit stays underground at all times, with changing movement height and the like when it approaches a cliff, but no success so far

Level 13
informative, but sadly it doesn't help too much in this context

I suppose one work-around could be to treat it as a normal ground unit with collision turned off (and "crow form" turned on and off to allow custom movement height) as shown in the thread above, and give it a "blink" based ability to overcome obstacles such as cliffs. Still not very satisfying

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Wait, what kind of Burrowed Movement we talking here?

Because I'm 100% I did this years ago for a Contest... Ah, here we go

Yeah, since the standard "Burrow" ability does what it does by actually morphing the unit (i.e. Burrowing is not a spell effect but a function of being a different unit (with 'burrowed' stats, like a hole-in-the-ground model)), you just modify the Burrowed form of the unit so it can move. That's it.

Level 13
Wait, what kind of Burrowed Movement we talking here?

Because I'm 100% I did this years ago for a Contest... Ah, here we go

Yeah, since the standard "Burrow" ability does what it does by actually morphing the unit (i.e. Burrowing is not a spell effect but a function of being a different unit (with 'burrowed' stats, like a hole-in-the-ground model)), you just modify the Burrowed form of the unit so it can move. That's it.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, and I will definitely check this stuff out.
But yeah, I already figured you could just give the burrowed form movement, and that (plus blink) is what I'm gonna use for my project, I guess. The thing is, I really wanted it to be able to go over cliffs with no need for additional abilities, so that it would functionally play exactly like a flying unit (while looking like one of these cartoon molehills), but I suspect the way flying movement over cliffs is animated, it might not be possible.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
... The thing is, I really wanted it to be able to go over cliffs with no need for additional abilities, so that it would functionally play exactly like a flying unit (while looking like one of these cartoon molehills), but I suspect the way flying movement over cliffs is animated, it might not be possible.
Ah! I didn't catch that bit... And yeah, I don't know how you'd do that (if "flying" move-type for the Burrowed form doesn't work (or Ghost (Visible), or trigger-removing Pathing/Collision size...). A "Tunneling" Blink-ability seems best.

Level 12
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, and I will definitely check this stuff out.
But yeah, I already figured you could just give the burrowed form movement, and that (plus blink) is what I'm gonna use for my project, I guess. The thing is, I really wanted it to be able to go over cliffs with no need for additional abilities, so that it would functionally play exactly like a flying unit (while looking like one of these cartoon molehills), but I suspect the way flying movement over cliffs is animated, it might not be possible.
Just make the unit have no collision.

I'm pretty sure I've seen ground unit walk straight through terrain, trees, cliffs, whatever without any kind of flying movement or the like.

Maybe you need to use a trigger to turn collision on/off or something, but at least I'm 99.99% confident that if you give a unit locust it can move straight through cliffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.