1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What would be the best, easiest way to have underground units move?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Verdun, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It's a realtively basic feature in many games, the idea being that you order a unit to burrow underground, but instead of being static, you can still order it to move around, like it was digging a tunnel, and this could be used to avoid terrain obstacles and the like.

My initial idea was to simply set a unit's movement type to "fly" and give it a negative value, and that basically does what I wanted, except it looks mediocre when the unit moves up or down cliffs, into water or close to things with Fly-Over Height, because it will inevitably pop out of the ground like some mole-dolphin. For normal flying units it makes sense, because they looks best with a smooth gliding motion, but for the digging unit, it kinda totally ruins the suspension of disbelief.

I looked around and experimented a bit with triggers that would make sure the "deep flying" unit stays underground at all times, with changing movement height and the like when it approaches a cliff, but no success so far

2. UreDe4D

UreDe4D

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  3. Verdun

Verdun

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    informative, but sadly it doesn't help too much in this context

I suppose one work-around could be to treat it as a normal ground unit with collision turned off (and "crow form" turned on and off to allow custom movement height) as shown in the thread above, and give it a "blink" based ability to overcome obstacles such as cliffs. Still not very satisfying

4. Wark

Wark

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Have you tried setting the pathing to zero? I think that works for something like the crypt fiends or beetles for their burrowed forms. I should try it out...

5. Gamgee

Gamgee

Resources:
    Resources:
  6. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wait, what kind of Burrowed Movement we talking here?

Because I'm 100% I did this years ago for a Contest... Ah, here we go

Yeah, since the standard "Burrow" ability does what it does by actually morphing the unit (i.e. Burrowing is not a spell effect but a function of being a different unit (with 'burrowed' stats, like a hole-in-the-ground model)), you just modify the Burrowed form of the unit so it can move. That's it.

7. Verdun

Verdun

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback, and I will definitely check this stuff out.
    But yeah, I already figured you could just give the burrowed form movement, and that (plus blink) is what I'm gonna use for my project, I guess. The thing is, I really wanted it to be able to go over cliffs with no need for additional abilities, so that it would functionally play exactly like a flying unit (while looking like one of these cartoon molehills), but I suspect the way flying movement over cliffs is animated, it might not be possible.

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ah! I didn't catch that bit... And yeah, I don't know how you'd do that (if "flying" move-type for the Burrowed form doesn't work (or Ghost (Visible), or trigger-removing Pathing/Collision size...). A "Tunneling" Blink-ability seems best.

9. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just make the unit have no collision.

I'm pretty sure I've seen ground unit walk straight through terrain, trees, cliffs, whatever without any kind of flying movement or the like.

Maybe you need to use a trigger to turn collision on/off or something, but at least I'm 99.99% confident that if you give a unit locust it can move straight through cliffs.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Well Locust is tricky, though. Once given it cannot be removed (not at all with GUI, and not without some nasty bugs (hehe) in JASS).