• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What will you be expecting in Warcraft III HD Remastered after it has been confirmed?

Do you want a Warcraft IV or just a Warcraft III but HD and remastered

• Warcraft IV

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Warcraft III HD Remastered

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • Both

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have been asking myself if Warcraft IV will ever be confirmed what will all of you expect? Well of course that I know what I expect for a big opening cinematic just like Blizzard always do in releasing a game and Warcraft 4 will be having new stories new enemies of course that is warcraft new stories and more and I think that maybe HD I guess? I dont really care if it is HD or not I just want new models like in Heroes of the Storm and thats it for now.

And I know that we should not expect we should make it the Blizzard way and they are gonna decide what to do with Warcraft IV,and for all we gonna have expectations right?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Downloadable content in sets of 4 to 5 random objects.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I will expect unicorns and flying ponies supported by pegasi as a race pack.
Also talking giant potatoes, who ally with the Demons and eat little children.

On a honest note, I do not expect a new WarCraft.
And even if there would be one, I don't believe in it surviving as long as WarCraft 3. WC3 might actually still have an active community when WC4 is dead.

Level 14
I will expect unicorns and flying ponies supported by pegasi as a race pack.
Also talking giant potatoes, who ally with the Demons and eat little children.

On a honest note, I do not expect a new WarCraft.
And even if there would be one, I don't believe in it surviving as long as WarCraft 3. WC3 might actually still have an active community when WC4 is dead.
Hahahah I agree

Level 14
Mmm I actuall just read about it or wached and well I think Blizzard is Remastering all of there games such as Starcraft Remastered which is already been released,Diablo II,and importantly Warcraft III and I really hope that they will make a Remastered Warcraft III first before remastering there other games

Level 14
I really don't want Warcraft IV to happend because they already have the World of Warcraft,I really just want a Warcraft III HD Remastered because I love Warcraft to have cool models like the models in Heroes of the Storm.

The only reason why I don't want warcraft IV is that i will change everything our hard work that we are making that has not already been released will be cancelled because of the new game Warcraft IV that is the reason why I don't want warcraft IV.I just want a new improved Warcraft III HD Remastered

Level 11
I've little interest in a wc4 since they'd probably mess up big time. However, a wc3 HD would attract a lot of new and old players, which would be nice. I wouldn't play the HD version myself of course, but in all likelihood we'll be able to play them interchangeably, so no loss.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It would be great to have tweaks to the game's pathing to make it smoother. I've gotten so used to pathings from SC2 and DotA 2 that Warcraft III's gets annoying. And it's hardly going to have as much impact in gameplay as it had in SC2.

Also, as I said earlier in some other thread, a master move would be to implement some of SC2 Editor's features into World Editor: actors, for instance! It enhances Warcraft III and makes users less wary of crossing over to SC2 (not true for most, me included, who think the problem doesn't lie there).

Level 11
The beauty of wc3's editor is in its user friendliness and extremely quick prototyping. Any non-computer savvy teenager can sit down and make a game in an hour (as the early days of wc3 proved so well). Any additional features really oughtn't get in the way of that.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
It's not like we have a say in this, but I will take the unpopular route here and say: I want a full Warcraft IV.

I don't need rehashes of my favorite games. It's been a plague on the industry lately. I want a new game with new characters and a brand new story.

Get rid of Thrall, Jaina and whatever-the-fuck WoW introduced and start fresh with a completely new lore in a completely new setting. After the success of Overwatch, I feel we can trust blizzard on creating fresh characters and new lore.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I don't need rehashes of my favorite games. It's been a plague on the industry lately.
On everything, from movies to music too.
Get rid of Thrall, Jaina and whatever-the-fuck WoW introduced and start fresh with a completely new lore in a completely new setting. After the success of Overwatch, I feel we can trust blizzard on creating fresh characters and new lore.
Getting rid of characters is one thing but making new lore for the game is like saying it's an alternate story in the same universe or a parallel universe, much like they do with JRPG series (Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Seiken Densetsu etc.).

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
On everything, from movies to music too.
True. And I hate every single one of them.

Getting rid of characters is one thing but making new lore for the game is like saying it's an alternate story in the same universe or a parallel universe, much like they do with JRPG series (Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Seiken Densetsu etc.).
Well ... it worked for Final Fantasy. For a time. I for myself wasn't bothered much by FF6,FF7 and FF8 having a completely new universe to explore. The downward spiral of shittiness didn't began until much much later.

But we don't even need a parallel universe. Just have it play in a different time that is located far enough from the events of WC1-3 that the characters and events no longer matter.
I would still love to see a Warcraft game in a stone-age setting. Basicly a cross-over between Age of Empires and Warcraft.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I would still love to see a Warcraft game in a stone-age setting.
Me too. I really don't dig the steampunkish-final fantasyesque style they started with WoW (especially Legion). Warcraft II's ships were borderline.
Just have it play in a different time that is located far enough from the events of WC1-3 that the characters and events no longer matter.
True but then there could be connection problems either not making sense or just making it feel exactly like a parallel universe.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
True but then there could be connection problems either not making sense or just making it feel exactly like a parallel universe.
Depends on if you define Warcraft as "Orcs vs. Humans" or not. I could imagine a stone-age themed campaign against other creatures than orcs.

... or simply come up with a reason why the orcs and humans forgot about their first contact. I mean; stone age and "present day" warcraft could be literally thousands of years apart. If Orcs and humans ever met at that time for whatever reason, who would still remember them? Do you know stuff about wars that happened in the Stone Age on earth? I don't think so. ;)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Do you know stuff about wars that happened in the Stone Age on earth? I don't think so.
Well, there are only theories, yes.
It would be kind of meh to have orcs meet humans 5000k before Orcs & Humans in a stone age setting. It would be cliche. However, we could just have humans on Azeroth and Orcs on Draenor. We could even have any other planet(s) with other races/species as well.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Well, there are only theories, yes.
It would be kind of meh to have orcs meet humans 5000k before Orcs & Humans in a stone age setting. It would be cliche.
Why not? The lore of Draenor and Azeroth being connected as a twin-planet makes it completely possible. Just come up with whatever space-magic you like and you're done.

Alternatively, we know that nightelves and elves live on Azeroth for as long as humans do. A stone-age Warcraft could be about the first contact between primordial elves and humans. Or how the humans first met the dwarves, etc.
How about the trolls and Tauren? They existed on Azeroth long before the Orcs came to Kalimdor.

There are many interesting races that could qualify for a faction in Warcraft already. I don't think it would be hard to come up with an engaging story for multiple campaigns in that setting.

However, we could just have humans on Azeroth and Orcs on Draenor. We could even have any other planet(s) with other races/species as well.
The main races have to combat each other in one way or another or multiplayer would fuck up the lore. And multiplayer is a big aspect of the Warcraft universe.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
A stone-age Warcraft could be about the first contact between primordial elves and humans. Or how the humans first met the dwarves, etc.
How about the trolls and Tauren? They existed on Azeroth before the Orcs came to Kalimdor.
That's what I'm talking about. No more Orcs and Humans.
multiplayer would fuck up the lore.
No it won't. See, StarCraft II's campaign races are quite different than how they actually have their techtrees in MP, so I don't really think that would be that much of a problem. You get to play the orcs on Draenor and Humans on Azeroth. The general basis is learned during the campaign while the PvP aspect is emphasized in MP, as it usually is. The enemies in the Humans and Orc campaigns will have similarities to the opposed races, eg: invisible detection techniques and whatnot.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Too bad the fans will never ever accept this.

To draw a parallel with the movie industry, this is also why the Michael Myers character (from the Halloween film franchise) can not and will not die / disappear.
Halloween (franchise) - Wikipedia

Starting with Halloween III: Season of the Witch, the franchise was set to follow a different path than the one which was started (and ended) in the first two films. Therefore, the Michael Myers character was never to reappear ever again. Because his story had been told.

Now guess what: of course, the fans complained. Therefore, and also because the film was a commercial failure, the character was featured again as the main antagonist/protagonist, starting from Halloween 4 onwards. The fourth film was adequately titled Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, and his name will even be cited in the title of the two films that followed the fourth opus of the 'series'.

It is a real pity imho. The producers of the franchise were willing and ready to explore new territories, with plots, storylines and characters unrelated to each other with each new film. And they might even have done an interesting job at it; imho, Halloween III has an interesting and clever twist about what the whole Halloween tradition really is about. And some of the film's (many) flaws and (numerous) plot holes surprisingly contribute to make it an overall enjoyable B-movie iirc.

Again, too bad the fans only cared about one specific character only...

So be all prepared for:
- Warcraft 4: the Return of Thrall
- Warcraft 5: the Revenge of Thrall
- Warcraft: the Curse of Thrall
- Warcraft H20: 20 years later
- Warcraft: Resurrection

..and I am not even mentioning the mandatory reboot of the whole series that will follow, featuring...
(drumroll...)
...old Thrall, old Jaina and whoever / whatever else existed in the original Classic Warcraft / Warcraft II Lore (Alleria Windrunner, anyone?)

...all because the fans will want it that way.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
That sounds like the Farce Awakens, I mean Disney:
2c948e84c6665733aab2387cafe3d87b-d7lnef9.jpg

810242.jpg

810248.jpg

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Well I think someday I will work in Blizzard and I will do what ever the fans like for the reputation of Blizzard
Hmm... Depends on who some of the fans might be, and what their ideas are:

One can listen to some of the fans' ideas, but only up to a point. Which is more or less what @Zwiebelchen inferred imho by saying that it's not like we have a say in this.

I think that Blizzard will do as *they* see fit first and foremost.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Too bad the fans will never ever accept this.

To draw a parallel with the movie industry, this is also why the Michael Myers character (from the Halloween film franchise) can not and will not die / disappear.
Halloween (franchise) - Wikipedia

Starting with Halloween III: Season of the Witch, the franchise was set to follow a different path than the one which was started (and ended) in the first two films. Therefore, the Michael Myers character was never to reappear ever again. Because his story had been told.

Now guess what: of course, the fans complained. Therefore, and also because the film was a commercial failure, the character was featured again as the main antagonist/protagonist, starting from Halloween 4 onwards. The fourth film was adequately titled Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, and his name will even be cited in the title of the two films that followed the fourth opus of the 'series'.

It is a real pity imho. The producers of the franchise were willing and ready to explore new territories, with plots, storylines and characters unrelated to each other with each new film. And they might even have done an interesting job at it; imho, Halloween III has an interesting and clever twist about what the whole Halloween tradition really is about. And some of the film's (many) flaws and (numerous) plot holes surprisingly contribute to make it an overall enjoyable B-movie iirc.

Again, too bad the fans only cared about one specific character only...

So be all prepared for:
- Warcraft 4: the Return of Thrall
- Warcraft 5: the Revenge of Thrall
- Warcraft: the Curse of Thrall
- Warcraft H20: 20 years later
- Warcraft: Resurrection

..and I am not even mentioning the mandatory reboot of the whole series that will follow, featuring...
(drumroll...)
...old Thrall, old Jaina and whoever / whatever else existed in the original Classic Warcraft / Warcraft II Lore (Alleria Windrunner, anyone?)

I totally understand your point, but I think we are comparing apples and oranges here.
The fans of Warcraft are sick of WoW lore. I mean; WE are the fans of Warcraft (as in: the largest western WC3 community) and WE are sick of WoW lore.

We want more Warcraft, but we don't want more of the same characters.

Also, I don't think you can compare a movie to a game. A movie is a story. A game is a game first and foremost.
Warcraft isn't defined by its characters. Warcraft is defined by a certain aesthetic, a certain style of gameplay and a certain branch of fantasy.

I could understand that argument if, say, Naughtydog would decide to make a 'Last of Us' game without Ellie and Joel. But that's because Last of Us is about these characters. Maybe that's just me, but Warcraft was never just the sum of its characters for me.

Level 11
Blizzard has always been terrible at telling charcter-driven stories, but great at setting mood and theme. The characters and settings aren't important. They're just set pieces to establish particular moods, and Blizz is fully capable of accomplishing that with entirely new ones.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Blizzard has always been terrible at telling charcter-driven stories
That's absolutely not true. Some good examples: Marius' short story in Diablo II; StarCraft's story with its bits for every character that lead to Warcraft III's more advanced and deepened development of characters in a story. StarCraft II tries to do it even better but because of some radical changes in the universe, if not treated as a standalone series, Brood War and Original fans might not be able to take it seriously.

Of course, protagonists are important else we play a mindless game which can just be left as multiplayer.

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Also, I don't think you can compare a movie to a game. A movie is a story. A game is a game first and foremost.
Do adventure video games tell a story?
Do plot-driven video games tell a story?
Do most video games have an ending?
:wink:

Maybe that's just me, but Warcraft was never just the sum of its characters for me.
We both agree.

As for me, the gameplay is the most important thing in a video game. In fact, many of them have a so-called plot, universe and/or characters which I never even bothered about. Believable characters and events in Doom and Doom 2? Seriously, who needs that to enjoy the non-stop action and the frag fest?

Applies to other, different kinds of games too...

Aliens? Rihanna? Come on...

pic288374.jpg

Even today, my favorite video game character remains this one.

The first one wasn't. From the second things started flourishing. Truth be told it's WcIII that basically turned the player into characters (I mean observers) thus centering the story on protagonists.
Specific and distinct hero units were first introduced in Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal

From the magic of CnP:

The new [BDP] campaigns feature ten new heroes for Warcraft, five for the Alliance and five for the Horde. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness had a few hero units, but these units were only marginally stronger than their basic unit and had no speech of their own. The new heroes have increased unit statistics, making them more powerful than regular units, have their own unit portraits, and their own speech.

The Alliance heroes are:
- Alleria Windrunner (Ranger)
- Danath Trollbane (Footman)
- General Turalyon (Paladin)
- Khadgar (Mage)
- Kurdran Wildhammer (Gryphon Rider on his mount Sky'ree)

The Horde heroes are:
- Grom Hellscream (Grunt)
- Kargath Bladefist (Grunt)
- Dentarg (Ogre-Mage)
- Teron Gorefiend (Death Knight)
- Deathwing (Dragon)

While regular units of the two armies are balanced (only the spells wielded by spellcasters differ), the heroes have greater distinctions. The Orcish heroes are more powerful than their human counterparts. The heroes are important to the story and may not be killed during the mission with exception of the final missions in both campaigns, and with the exception of Khadgar in the Human campaign and Teron in Orcish campaign (in 11th mission).

Since WCII used the game storytelling mechanics as Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, these heroes and other game characters felt hardly alive imho. One had to read the game manuals in order to really delve into the Warcraft universe imho.

That's absolutely not true. Some good examples: [...] StarCraft's story with its bits for every character that lead to Warcraft III's more advanced and deepened development of characters in a story. [...]
The mission briefings' dialogue in StarCraft is of outstanding quality imho. In fact, it is so good in every aspect (characterization, delivery of plot elements, pacing...) that they alone are worth replaying again and again.

Not sure Blizzard succeeded in maintaining that high level of quality overall with Warcraft 3's dialogue...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Since WCII used the game storytelling mechanics as Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, these heroes and other game characters felt hardly alive imho. One had to read the game manuals in order to really delve into the Warcraft universe imho.
As I've implied, it was an advancement though.
Not sure Blizzard succeeded in maintaining that high level of quality overall with Warcraft 3's dialogue...
That's true but they tried to mix SC's way of storytelling with that of Warcraft II's and well with 3D graphics they did it through ingame cinematic scenes. However, I agree that StarCraft has it better at storytelling.

EDIT: we're talking about strategy games because Diablo and its sequel also has immersive storytelling.

Last edited:
Level 12
I'd rather see Warcraft III remaster than a new game completely. Simply because lore we already have in Warcraft III, and it's huge I might add, is too good to be left behind. On top of that, World of Warcraft has expanded it by a lot, however I don't really see at this point a connecting point for Warcraft IV and World of Warcraft continuation. That being said, it'd be kind of dull to have some of the lore diverted into an RTS game from a MMORPG, because of people who don't really appreciate the genre.

However, smaller DLC's so to name them, with smaller campaigns and some side missions would be more than appreciated as in addition to Warcraft III.

Level 8
Seriously guys only 9 votes on both! Why not vote Warcraft 3 remastered and blizzard finally released Warcraft 4 at the same time?

Level 13
If there is one, I am not sure what Warcraft 4 would mean in terms of triggering, map making, and object data.
Would it be easy to import maps and data from Warcraft 3, or would everything need to be done again from scratch?

With a remastered edition, that means we are guaranteed to get improved functions, graphics, everything with minimal need to figure things out again or redo everything.

Also, it makes sense from Blizzard's perspective to update their existing games because almost an entire generation has passed since some of them have been released. All it would take is a little marketing, some polish, a tune up, a graphic update, maybe even a new expansion, and the next-gen wave of players would be interested.
On top of that, many players around the world who would be interested in Warcraft 4 may not have the hardware capable of running heavy graphic games which require uber bandwidth.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.