1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hive Workshop Programmers What programming languages do you know?

Discussion in 'Legacy Social Groups' started by Vercas, Dec 20, 2010.

1. supertoinkz

supertoinkz

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    XML, HTML (if it counts), JAVA, LUA (stopped learning), and learning VB.NET.

:)

2. Vercas

Vercas

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I totally agree with GhostWolf.
    HTML ain't programming, it's markup, and so is XML and XAML.
    XAML is converted into IL code by a compiler, tho.

3. Warcraft_Tester

Warcraft_Tester

Resources:
    Resources:
    1. Batch
    2. Vbscript
    3. Html
    4. C++
    5. Assembly

4. Zegaroth

Zegaroth

Resources:
    Resources:
    All I know is SQL...

It's a language used to sort database tables. Have you ever heard of it?

5. Ironside

Ironside

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yes, I have.

6. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Meh, do I even have a post in here, oh well, shalt this be the first.
    However, when it comes to programming languages, there isn't too many I know.
    [HTML, Jass, CSS, PHP, MySQL, etc, are not to be included in here]

C
    C:\
    VBScript
    ActionScript
    NWScript
    JavaScript

7. Adiktuz

Adiktuz

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    what is c:\?

as for me currently,

VBScript, ActionScript, A bit of Ruby...

8. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    c:\ == Batch (CMD)
    (Received its name due to including c:\ in all of its paths unless hidden with @echo off)

9. Ironside

Ironside

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Started learning Html, Javascript and SQL now.

10. Kanadaj

Kanadaj

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    C#
    Delphi
    HTML
    LUA
    Expression
    Expression2 (W00T)

11. Daelin

Daelin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let's include here not only Programming Languages, but also Query Languages and Markup Languages.

C - after English, probably the most basic 'language' anyone working with Computers should be familiar with. Can't say I'm a complete expert, but I've had to work with C for a long time now. Did I mention how much I love pointers?
    C++ - I only started working recently with it (if you take into account the object-oriented aspect alone - pushing the structural aspects up to C knowledge).
    C#/Java - both fall in about the same category - if you know one of them, switching to the other is not that hard. Technologies (Java vs .NET): now that's a different story. We could include here LINQ, ASP, JSP and other mumbo-jumbo, but again, once you get how to work with a language, adapting to various technologies is rather easy.
    80x86 Assembly - you cannot always avoid assembly I guess, but personally I try to stay away from it - had a course on assembly languages and an additional lab for ATMega64 microcontrollers. Can't say I hate anything more than branches (writing loops in assembly? better shoot me in the head instead!). The top of the garbage was the Operating Systems Design course.
    HTML, CSS, Javascript Batch - had to deal with them, but I can't say I'm an expert - I run away from HTML as much as I can, mainly because writing hardcore by hand is tedious, boring and heavily frustrating. I find Javascript this messy goo - though it was the very first 'language' I ever started programming in (if you don't count an afternoon of Pascal before that, which was a complete disaster).
    PHP - I prefer JSP and ASP as alternatives. Weakly typed languages drive me insane for some very odd reason I totally understand.
    VHDL - FPGA Programming made me want to throw my computer down the window two years in a row. Anyone who hasn't bothered with VHDL and complains how long some programs take to compile, get Xilinx, and synthesize some decent project in VHDL. You'll never-ever hate compilers again. Getting an FPGA board to behave at a hardware level any way you want is pretty awesome, though.
    MSQL & MySQL - I work with them when I have to. Though I know how to make basic queries, I know next term I'll be going back to hardcore SQL (database courses are always horror stuff). Used to be able to do some pretty nifty queries - since I didn't have to do anything more complex than an INNER JOIN, I kind of lost my touch.
    Prolog - I totally lo-lo-loved it. Being able to write a quicksort algorithm in 3 lines (of decent maximum length, say... 60 characters/line?) rocks! Logic programming is a bit weird at first, but it has its uses in Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language Processing. Neat course, neat experience, can't wait to get the chance to experiment with it more.
    Haskell - My dear lord, I had a teacher obsessed with Haskell, and prototyping in Haskell. He gave me this horror distributed system to port it on Windows Azure. But again, I guess like any other 'obscure' language, Haskell has its own uses. Learned a few tricks, and though I haven't worked with it in a year, I'm certain I could remember rather easily.
    LISP - Half a semester and a project on a different subject in LISP was more than enough for me. Too many brackets, some very obscure concepts... let's just say if I see a LISP program I know what it is, but I'd rather stay completely away from it! Haskell is a much better Functional Programming language.

An enumeration doesn't make anyone an expert in everything. It just means that at the very least, the programmer recognizes the language/understands vaguely what's written there. Since I didn't include Python for example there, it means that if you gave me a piece of code in Python, I would be completely clueless of the language (and probably not even understand what's going on there).

12. SirNikolas

SirNikolas

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    JASS, vJASS/ZINC, cJASS, C & C++, C#, Pascal (only a little), VB.NET (not so much too), HTML.
    But I prefer C++.

13. Hashjie

Hashjie

Resources:
    Resources:
    For me it is:

C++
    C#
    Javascript
    PHP
    SQL
    CSS
    HTML
    XML
    JQuery
    Jass
    Batch
    Assembly
    ASP.NET
    VB

EDIT: by the way anyone ever heared of lessCSS? http://lesscss.org/
    It makes life easy :)

14. KnnO

KnnO

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    C++: 0.01%
    VB: 12%
    HTML: 90% (sometimes needs reference)
    CSS: 100% (but now I think I'm forgetting it :/)
    Some javascript...
    PHP: 11.89% (lollolol)
    (My website has been deleted/hacked so I am not continuing it, and almost forgetting these)

JASS/vJass: 90% / 10%
    (I just want to accomplish what I want in war3, so few basics are good)

not-so-popular languages: 94%

I think I will continue learning C languages after few years.

IMPORTANT - NOTES:
    -I can use Notepad and Mspaint if those count.
    -I never use Microsoft Word and those f ing microsoft programs.
    -I know how computer works etc... not just a language learner, I always in need to know the small things.

And If you guys have an advice tell me!!!! :O

15. JGGDMakervb6

JGGDMakervb6

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    *basic and vb(9/10) .. my primary preferred programming lang
    *C and C++ (4/10).. just know the basics. since its mostly alike with basic
    *HTML(7/10).. I learned this and I know alot about it before but i forgot
    *IDE programming.. I love making programs using IDEs
    * Assembly (6/10).. I got stuck coz its mostly architecture dependent.
    * does batch count?? well if it does then i know batch (10/10)
    and I can understand some other langs.. but not much

16. CoLd Bon3

CoLd Bon3

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    This is what i know :

1. HTML (XHTML) - 4.8/5 - veeery easy language and because of that, it does not give much
    2. GUI - 5/5 - i know this shit pretty well
    3. CSS - 4.1/5 - not very hard, not easy at all but results are epic, much more than what you can achieve with HTML
    4. Jass - 0.8/5 (i know only the small things, like basic functions and leaks, however, i am master of writing comments)

17. Darkdread

Darkdread

Resources:
    Resources:
    Batch 7/10
    JASS 8/10
    vJASS 5/10
    C# 1/10 (Started long ago and went to jass.)
    CSS 3/10 [READ (Inspect Element) :D]
    Java 2/10 (Minecraft Mods editing but failed for some reason.) [Modifying doesn't work I guess]

18. darkceus

darkceus

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Damn. I feel that I need to leave this group now. I only know QBasic and VB6, which are taught in our school during 2nd year.

19. aaron

aaron

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    @ GhostWolf though you are banned i still feel the need to say this. Your ignorance is showing. Technically most of the things listed here are indeed languages. Except Ajax of course. Even html is considered a programming "language". Please re-read the definition next time before posting.

20. Magtheridon96

Magtheridon96

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I'm here to update:

Languages I use regularly:

• C++ (I'm halfway to a legit mastery of the thing having spent over 4000 hours and counting with it)
    • C (After learning C++, I felt that knowing how to write C code could be important in the future as a skill, so I acknowledged the differences between C++ and C and there we have it. In fact, half my hours with C++ were likely C programming hours because I used a lot of C libraries like SDL and zlib for my needs. Today, I use SFML for graphics, networking, window management, event handling and audio.)

Languages I can code in but don't use regularly:

• C# (I picked it up in a day when I took a summer job at this software engineering house. It stuck to me then.)
    • Visual Basic (I picked up the language in 10 minutes and searched through a lot of the standard libraries in 2 hours. If you were to ask me to write some code now, I would, but I'd need an IDE because the standard libraries are not stuck to me yet.)
    • JavaScript (I picked this language up in quite a similar timeframe relative to Visual Basic)

Goal Languages:

• x86 Assembly (I'm reading a book on it as we speak. It's quite an interesting language despite the fact that its practical applications are limited)
    • Haskell (I already learned it twice but I can't find practical applications and thus I don't use it, so it never sticks to me)
    • Lua (My game engine in C++ will execute game code using Lua and so I need to learn to use this language soon. Lua is blazing fast too, which is a plus)
    • Python (I know for sure I can pick this thing up as fast as I picked up JavaScript, so why not?)