• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What makes Quake 1 community live up to us days today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hello everyone.

Before I start, I suspect they will tell me here. Why do not you ask them directly? Because I do not have Steam game, and I'm not registered in one of your communities.

This topic was created to talk about nostalgia, game modding, dial-up internet, etc. that refers to that era. In the opinion of Hive members explaining how communities there have survived to this today.

I did not play Quake 1 online, but I saw older brother play. He played deathmatch, CTF, Team Fortress and other mods. Wow, when I think back to that time comes a good feeling. I played against bots, using cheats as god and notarget to make the enemies fight between them, I played pvp against my cousins.
Today I'm thinking in to buy the game, to finish it without cheat, and have fun with some mods. I saw mode that makes the game graph much better.

If you have already played Quake 1 on the computer by telling your experience (depending).

Hello Napoqe,

I actually jumped into this thread because i saw the word "Quake". I'd have to say that when i look back at the 90's and my childhood, Quake represents a milestone. Quake was one of the best games in the 90's. It introduced online gaming (i mean boosted at the time) and it's one of the most competitive games of all time.

In my opinion, it's the most competitive fps of all time. I'm actually a huge fan of the franchise and my favorite one was Quake 3 arena which provided us with Quake Live after 11years.

Joe Rogan used to spend 10k $ per month for T1 line to be able to play Quake in the 90's.

Though i've never played Quake 1 or 2 online, i've spent thousands of hours playing Quake 3 arena and Quake live online. Their community is very friendly (compared to that toxic waste called dota 2's community :p ).

If you can afford buying Quake1, i'd say go for it (I actually re-bought Quake 2 in like 2007 to replay it solo) but i don't really know if its community is still alive or not. One thing i can assure you of, that Quake 3 is dead but Quake Live is still going. :)

Level 9
Quake 3 without offense, was almost a copy of Unreal Tournament. I played it, it was fun. But there were some mods of Quake 1 I think as Team Fortress. They did an expansion for Quake 3. But I think it did not good on copy Unreal. Quake 4 never saw gameplay.
If you like Quake 3. Have you ever played Unreal Tournament? I think it's much better.

I was born in the year 1993, however I know a lot of games from the 90's (at least I think) including Snes and Playstation 1.

I'm going to put some links of communities from Quake 1 that exists today:

QuakeOne - The largest Quake 1 community on the net! - QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection
Quake General Discussions :: Steam Community
celephais.net
YouTube (There are communities within it, showing their mods, etc.)

Quake 1 Team Fortress Gameplay:
Quake 1 CTF:
Quake 1 fight between the monsters:
(Zombie did not die until his body was shattered) (What I know only that defeat zombie is Shambler and Spider)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.