• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

what kind of monitor do i need for gtx 1070

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I am not entirely sure.

At the time I ran two monitors at the same time but my chassis only had one spot for that cable type.
So both of my monitors were supposed to run.. HDMI? (I do not remember) but I could only connect one.
I had some old cable lying around which worked but limited the FPS so I had to use dvi instead.

I am not really a hardware person so sadly these details do not stick with me.
But I doubt your cable is wrong if it is the one which came in the box.

Level 21
sounds to me like it was a vga cable. all hdmi cables support 60 hz(i even got 60 hz with composite cables on my gamecube which is fairly bad). i am good with hardware. i built one pc as a school project once. the cable that cabe with my previous monitor was too short so i got a longer one. first time i messed up and got a hdmi 1 cable(my bad). the second time i got the right cable but got bottlenecked by the monitor. then i got a new monitor and returned the old one for a refund. the new one runs in 120 hz through hdmi which seems to be the limit for monitors running on hdmi these days.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks

About the ASUS VG248QE Gaming Monitor:
VG248QE | Monitors | ASUS USA

The fine print reads: "To activate 144Hz function (in 2D mode), both DisplayPort (or Dual-link DVI) and a selected graphics card with the latest driver are required. Please kindly contact the service center of your graphics cards companies for further technical supports."

The VG248QE comes with a dual-link DVI cable and an audio cable.

Last edited:
Level 21
no, not gaming monitor. just monitor. it does not say gaming monitor on the box on the old monitor. it does on the new one. the front audio port on my pc is broken and the audio cable is too short to be placed at the back. another issue is my strict land lord that does not allow it. hdmi is a must or i can not have that desktop.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
no, not gaming monitor. just monitor. [...]
ASUS disagrees with you.

ASUS VG248QE Gaming Monitor.jpg

Level 21
maybe the shop sold me another model. it had nothing gaming related on the box. the box just showed a picture of the monitor. the new one have a game related picture on the box however. elkjøp clearly mislabeled the product but it is possible that asus also did. the box did not say gaming monitor unlike the new one.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
the old monitor is no longer being produced(i got the last one, a VG248QE) [...]
think the box showed pictures of nature when i think of it.
maybe the shop sold me another model. it had nothing gaming related on the box. the box just showed a picture of the monitor. [...] elkjøp clearly mislabeled the product but it is possible that asus also did. the box did not say gaming monitor unlike the new one.

(at random)

norway is a corrupt country and power is a desperate company. they have not been making money for years. [...]
Sounds to me like a worldwide conspiracy, possibly specifically targeting you.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You said previously that you had first bought an ASUS VG248QE Monitor.
maybe the shop sold me another model. it had nothing gaming related on the box. the box just showed a picture of the monitor. the new one have a game related picture on the box however. elkjøp clearly mislabeled the product but it is possible that asus also did. the box did not say gaming monitor unlike the new one.
think the box showed pictures of nature when i think of it.
Based on the unboxing video, it is imho impossible that you have mistaken any other model (if not brand) of monitor, for an ASUS VG248QE Gaming Monitor.

are you insane? if you watch those unboxing videoes then you are. i am not insane so i do not watch them(i see a picture from the video though of the box). that box say lcd monitor vg248. [...]
Unboxing videos might be useful to check out that nothing is missing inside the box, for those who do not read user manuals. They may also prove to be useful imho to demonstrate things.

For the record, this gaming monitor is a LED-backlit LCD monitor.
ASUS VG248QE Specs

I hope that your current ASUS MG248 Gaming Monitor will give you satisfaction for a long, long time. I myself am aware currently only of the existence of this model specifically:
MG248Q | Monitors | ASUS Global

Level 15
Use either displayport or DVI Dual Link.
The problem with VG248QE is that sometimes its displayport acts strange for some reason. In my case it caused the motherboard to go nuts and prevent booting up because of excessive voltage on USB ports (don't ask me, no idea what was that crap about, but switching to DVI solved the issue).

The DVI is another story, you specifically need the Dual Link variant, but you can't use cables much longer than 2~3m. The cable supplied with the monitor will output 144hz.

HDMI 1.4 ports could technically push 120Hz (they can push 30Hz at 4K), while HDMI 2.0 is intended to push 60Hz on 4K, which should give it enough bandwidth to output 144hz 1080p.

But, you shouldn't be using HDMI for high refresh rate monitors anyway, displayport is the only modern solution, with the DVI-DL being the fallback option.

Reactions: pyf

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
i also need to transfer sound in addition to pictures.
Display port supports both sound and pictures at the same time.
Wikipedia said:
DisplayPort can be used to transmit audio and video simultaneously, although each is optional and can be transmitted without the other.

The problem is that 1080p@144Hz is only supported by HDMI 1.3 or newer. Only HDMI 2.0 and higher can do so reliably due to increases in bandwidth.

I am guessing your HDMI cable is either too long or too lower quality. It cannot reliably sustain the 8.00 Gbit/s needed to run a 1080p display @144Hz. You can try forcing it to such a refresh rate but chances are the resulting image will be ugly and full of noise.

Level 21
maybe so but my laptop does not support display port. it supports hdmi and vga only. i am able to get 143 hz with my hdmi cable on my current monitor. anyhing higher and it goes out of range. my laptop however lacks the software to customise frequency as the software that does that does not work in windows 8.1. any software i can install to enable me to display in 143 hz?

Level 15
You should be able to define custom resolutions in your graphics card driver settings, even intel IGPs have this option (most of them at least).

Level 15
Well, you're not gonna run much at 144hz on an intel IGP. Cofigure the custom resolution+refresh rate in the nvidia control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.