• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What is your favorite race from Starcraft?

What race do you prefer?

• Zerg

Votes: 50 33.1%
  • Terran

Votes: 53 35.1%
  • Protoss

Votes: 48 31.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I play zerg cause... I'm the most skilled to play as them. I won a game as protoss... But it was not that fun, but playing as zerg is fun. Don't ask why, i just like it.

Level 2
Random: 1) you have a little advantage, because your oponent doesnt know your race on the beggining. And especialy 2) its a lot more fun, there are 9 match possibilities instead of 3, cool! =)

Level 19
Random: 1) you have a little advantage, because your oponent doesnt know your race on the beggining. And especialy 2) its a lot more fun, there are 9 match possibilities instead of 3, cool! =)

images

First, you gain an even bigger DISadvantage because you cant strategize your build and practice your race beforehand. and your second reason is just ???

Level 22

I dont block my base vs terran and terrans usually do. I was gonna say your only advantage would be that I would have to block at all times cause you may be zerg, but since terrans block almost all the time, well your advantage is that they will learn your race 1 minute after the game start instead of the beginning. Very helpful.

And what he means is:

Hey Im Random-Protoss vs you protoss, not a mirror ~.~ Oh but that makes the races 6, so the others are the 3 races in the other dimension.

Level 10
I'm not saying Terran is or is not a macro race based on mechanics, but based on the fact that they lose every macro game against the other two races.

I was Zerg, against a Terran player, and had a solid 20-ish lead on workers, but the graphs tell me that he was almost even.

2 base 60 worker
1 base 40 worker

The mules made that almost dead even.

lolwat?

Level 40
40 workers on 1 base?

--

The thing is that Terran sucks in 200/200 (or near) fights (Protoss beats them outright and builds faster, Zerg rebuilds far faster) and Zerg can just expand everywhere to boot. Go watch some late game ZvT or TvP if you don't believe me (GSL finals, for example) and notice that if the T didn't go in with a huge lead they are pretty screwed.

Level 40
you need 24 on minerals and 6 on gas for one base max. which is 30 workers. i usually do not have more then one expo in 1v1 and end the game with 60-65 workers. and usually the game ends when i start getting my third.
EDIT: its good to have more workers on one base for a while, so when your expo is done you can send half the workers there.
Protoss and Zerg can get away with <24 on minerals (since they pull less to build) but Terran need around there. Regardless, you should have extra for maynarding.

Level 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillMaster View Post

First, you gain an even bigger DISadvantage because you cant strategize your build and practice your race beforehand. and your second reason is just ???

Hey, what i just have to do is practice 3 races insted of 1 and i really dont have problem with that, Im actualy rank 12 diamond right now. For the other one: what is the other reason for playing besides having fun? =)

Level 11
Winning is way more fun then loosing.
Playing random doesn't have any effect on your win/loss ratio, unless you happen to be a progamer, which none of us are.

You practice all 3 races overall, leading to a better understanding of gameplay mechanics and how each race works. Yeah, you could be better playing a single race, but most people who play random prefer the variety, and it is less fun to stick with a single race each game.

If you are going to play to win games rather than to have fun, what's the point of playing at all? (given its not your job, obviously)

Level 22
Hey, what i just have to do is practice 3 races insted of 1 and i really dont have problem with that, Im actualy rank 12 diamond right now. For the other one: what is the other reason for playing besides having fun? =)

Everyone has a different idea of fun. For me the fun is in doing a gg, a long and interesting 2-sided game that even if I lose won't upset me. Long skilled games, that's the fun. Or playing without any goal and thus without caring about your stats, which im not part of.

If you are going to play to win games rather than to have fun, what's the point of playing at all? (given its not your job, obviously)

To try to become good? To have a goal in a game? It's like you are questioning the competitiveness element of SC2 which is also the primary one of bnet 2 although I wouldn't say is made in adequate way. It's like why they created ranks. leagues, levels, stats, tournaments where all can take part. Things arent made just for distincted top players but also for anyone including good ones that are not top and yet have a goal to play.

Last edited:
Level 4
Zerg. as i absolutely love bug eyed monsters >:) but i also love their versitality and the way their gameplay reflects their background (ever moving expanding race etc.)

I played random for a little bit to get the feel for the new B.net so i then figured i wanted to get the dark voice portrait as it looks uber (1000 wins with zerg, protoss, terran and random respectivly) and so i decided to start with zerg. :) :p

Level 24
Why I picked Zergs has more then 1 reason here's all of them
* I loved the Zerg models
* The rewards for zergs was better and you get better portraits
* I love the banelings ability to explode
* I love having hundreds of zerglings behind enermy lines killing all in their path
* I love the Infestors and their abilitys
* I love the functions of the queens
* I love the Broodlords
* I love that you only need one spawning pool and still be able to train how many zerglings you want
* I love that you need cursed/slimed ground to build buildings on
* I love the queen voice saying things like Mutation complete and the hive clastor is under attack
* I love that train massive armies of soldiers in 2 min
* No other race fits for me

And no I haven't played Starcraft (even tho I technicly own the game)

Level 6
I play as protoss for their constructive advantage. Build one probe and it can build multiple buildings simulataneously. Also, i find their defensive towers...photon cannons i think they are called...very useful lol. The dark templars are also extremely helpful in many close range fights.

Level 10
Ya, realizing that now. random is fun.

While I havn't been picking "random" I have been picking a random race every match, it is surprisingly hard to switch races like that sometimes.

You spend a solid 45 minutes thinking insanely hard in terran mode, then start playing as zerg, it has messed me up a few times now, heh

Tis more fun though!

And you get a much better understanding of the game and the races as a whole, I am finding.

Level 6
I do play Terran...because they are pretty awsome...they've got that Mech units, that are kindda cool...Imagine driving a Thor!! It would be awsome!....
I played toss too...they are cool, the warp in is awsome, but I don't feel like playing them....
Zerg...I'm totaly out of the word....I do like them, but I don't know how to play them...I lost the first 5 matches and got to bronze league playing zerg so I decided to switch to terran...

Level 12
I'm a little cut between them. I can play Terran perfectly fine by my self, but I get hella greedy when it comes to 2v2 or 3v3, so I mostly stay single playing them.

I can play Toss with a good teamate that can defend me so I can use my warp prism and warp gates to harass and destroy expansions and be a real piss off. Playing alone I turn into your average silver Toss going for void ray masses and such, I don't enjoy it.

Zerg depends on my enemy in most cases. I have no real build order other then whatever I feel like using, and I usually go for map control with creeper and establish a network of Nidus worms to keep my army hidden from scouts and to keep them fully mobile and able to get to key areas with the click of a button.

Level 24
Zerg definetly there's nothing better then charging an enemy base with 400 banelings or 400 zerglings. To not mention using Broodlords to corrupt the enemys super units and turning their own wepons against them.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm quite inclined to say Zerg because it's an extremely flexible race. I suppose they are designed to be like that. The only thing I don't like about them is how they can be completely screwed up by enemy banelings; it's a lame tactic that is incredibly cheap but manages to destroys a player's economy totally — it's getting quite annoying.
Then again, that's just an irritating aspect rooted into StarCraft II melee: workers and buildings are extremely weak and you can screw players up with those lame tricks.

{EDIT} P.S. — Forgot to finish. I'll probably be saying Protoss, though, because, to me, it's the funniest race to play.
Granted, it's also the lamest: you'll either be seeing extremely powerful 4gates being pulled out or you'll see it going lame tactics like dark templars, air, or even fast colossi in team games, which is the investment of a Nuclear Missile amplified to a race level: its payoff is either extremely rigged considering the investment or the investment is totally worthless because the Protoss couldn't do anything to make it pay off (there was a tower in base or the enemy got observers for DTs, for example) and so they're absent for the next 5 minutes of the game trying to catch up, while the entire team is exposed in a «N vs (N-1)» situation.
Still, Zealots pawning the imba Terran marine-marauder ball, it's so just, it makes Protoss pride really shine through.

Well zerg is a reactionary race, so its logical that it would be adaptable.

In terms of 'lameness' i really disagree, (with the fact that its the lamest) there are lame strategies on all sides, especially on the older versions with reaper play. Granted people overuse the lame Protoss plays, but there are valid ways to do lame plays.

Level 22
Zerg definetly there's nothing better then charging an enemy base with 400 banelings or 400 zerglings. To not mention using Broodlords to corrupt the enemys super units and turning their own wepons against them.

o_O
400 zerglings or banelings? Also it's called Corruptor but either way vs T just give me a reason to use ghosts and will see Broodlords or Corruptors.

I love terrans coz I love spamming those marines. They're pretty cool coz they can attack both air and ground units, pretty cheap, and with the reactor upgrade, you can make two of them simultaneously with one barracks... I think protoss is good for me too for a defensive start [love those photon cannons]... but zerg? oh, I still cannot understand how to play that race in a fine manner...

Status
Not open for further replies.