1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What is your favorite race from Starcraft?

Discussion in 'StarCraft I & II' started by JimBob, Nov 22, 2009.

?

What race do you prefer?

1. Zerg

50 vote(s)
    33.1%
  2. Terran

53 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Protoss

48 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Aslit

Aslit

Resources:
    Resources:
    U have show u dont know anything (banelings vs marines)
    and i didnt get the account cheese thing

2. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

I was playing "Burning Tide" today, which, for those who don't know it, is a map similar to the campaign scenario "The Devil's Playground", on Redstone III, first of the Covert line missions, in which the winners are the first of the two teams of three players that manage to gather 15.000 minerals, with the additional possibility of eliminating your enemy (the melee techtrees are available), it is currently a featured map on, at least, Europe. Given that, in this map, players are limited to an initial base with only 7 mineral fields and a single Vespene Geyser (8 fields and 2 geysers are available in melee), and, as such, the conditions of playing are different, you'll take of this story an example, or not.

I found it fun to play as Zerg, which I usually don't play because of this horrible track called Zerg 7 (you can find retail tracks on YouTube, luckily this map stops the music every once in a while) -- who would have known that music could be a reason not to play a race --, because of all the annoying moves possible with Metabolic Boosted Zerglings. Anyway, with only a single Vespene Geyser available per expansion, you don't see a lot of high tier units. So by the end of the game, my allies had been defeated, and I was next to a ball of over 20 Marines. I had little less than 20 Zerglings, 5 Hydralisks, 3 Roaches, and your so-hated Banelings. Guess what, Banelings were my salvation; the Marines just fell in a mass of green acid.

Later, the enemy attacked again, this time with 5 Siege Tanks and a few Medivacs. I had previously used the ramp for a line of sight advantage, I attacked when he was climbing it up. This time, he was smarter and deployed his Siege Tanks in a range that would have hit my army if I had attempted the same move. So I retreated back to my Hive, and waited until he moved his Siege Tanks to attack (I had an Overlord nearby). Again, the Marines fell easily to the Banelings, and the four Hydralisks that survived destroyed the tanks.

I played another game later and, again, I had enemies who massed Marines. I must have had over 20 Zerglings, but I had no Banelings. Fortunately, I had a Baneling Nest and I had researched Centrifugal Hooks just in case, so I ordered a few Zerglings to mutate. A few seconds later, my Baneling Nest had been destroyed. In spite of having 2/2 upgrades and the Marines having 0/0, Combat Shields, and Stimpack, my Zerglings fell ridiculously easy to the Marines. I ordered the few that were still alive back, along with a Roach or two, just as the Banelings had finished hatching. And again the Marine ball fell acidified.

You can't send Banelings in a pack without Centrifugal Hooks in an area without creep and hope they reach the enemy, like most people do. I made sure my Zerglings were alive because if they weren't, the Stimpacked Marines would have been completely free to target the Banelings, and I would have been lucky if I had killed 3 or 4. The trick is to get as many advantages as possible, such as line of sight (ramps) and creep.

Then again, I was lucky that the Terran didn't move his units, and this was in a game without Marauders. I imagine that in the normal game and against a more skilled player this would go differently, and I would have no idea what to do then, so, like I said, you'll take of this story the lesson you want, but this is just to say that Banelings are not completely useless, like you seem to be claiming they are.

3. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ctrl+M to toggle music.

--

I just made about 20 marines and then mass Orbital Command expanded in that game.

4. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That stops the music completely. And the 6 Zerg tracks that initially came with the Beta are good. I like listening to Starcraft music while playing =(

5. Dark Hunter1357

Dark Hunter1357

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Rui Supprisingly banelings kill thors easier then lings, if they are mass thors, because a link will die before it does 20 damage, while a baneling does 20 damage instantly. Masses of banelings will kill marauders too, but you need about 20 banelings to kill a marine marauder army.

In that game i just spammed hatcheries everywhere. It worked.

You can play it with another program?

6. Aslit

Aslit

Resources:
    Resources:
    u could download it the use any program

7. mrzwach

mrzwach

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not if the person using the marauders uses them properly. :eek:

8. dsbn

dsbn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Terran. They have the coolest units too in SC Gundam.

9. Dragon9560

Dragon9560

Resources:
    Resources:
    protoss because of their collosus and thier stalkers (PROBES!)(ARE COOL!) and awesome looking

10. Shockwaver

Shockwaver

Resources:
    Resources:
    Protoss coz I love their shiny buildings and I love to rush enemies with Photon Cannons:)

11. Aesthetics

Aesthetics

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I play Zerg because I simply suck at playing Terran and Protoss, and Zerg is the only race I am compatible with.

12. Bullshot

Bullshot

Resources:
    Resources:
    Terran, because the Marauder's voice-over is boss.

And... I dunno, I just prefer Terran.

13. Tassadaritze

Tassadaritze

Resources:
    Resources:
    I play zerg cause... I'm the most skilled to play as them. I won a game as protoss... But it was not that fun, but playing as zerg is fun. Don't ask why, i just like it.

14. KillMaster

KillMaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Random: 1) you have a little advantage, because your oponent doesnt know your race on the beggining. And especialy 2) its a lot more fun, there are 9 match possibilities instead of 3, cool! =)

15. Arhowk

Arhowk

Resources:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

First, you gain an even bigger DISadvantage because you cant strategize your build and practice your race beforehand. and your second reason is just ???

16. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Terran because I got like 9 ways to harrass. Not to mention the many cheesy openings you can do.

I also play protoss since I hate macroing and I prefer microing a lot more.

17. MGCǂSpectre

MGCǂSpectre

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I dont block my base vs terran and terrans usually do. I was gonna say your only advantage would be that I would have to block at all times cause you may be zerg, but since terrans block almost all the time, well your advantage is that they will learn your race 1 minute after the game start instead of the beginning. Very helpful.

And what he means is:

Hey Im Random-Protoss vs you protoss, not a mirror ~.~ Oh but that makes the races 6, so the others are the 3 races in the other dimension.

18. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Terran is the micro race and Protoss is the midrange, maybe macro race though...

Eh, whatever.

19. Dark Hunter1357

Dark Hunter1357

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    toss are easiest to macro and require macro. zerg are hardest to macro and with no macro will fail terribly. terran have mules

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm not saying Terran is or is not a macro race based on mechanics, but based on the fact that they lose every macro game against the other two races.