• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

what do you guys use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
when it comes to these things in spells

• Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
im thinking about changing my spells that knockback a lot of units to 0.07, just to have a better map performance and less lag and help people with slow computers, internet

all info is welcome, thx

Level 22
I'm using an old computer, I also used to play with a dial-up connection, 0.03, as Rheiko suggested, is fine.

You could make the actions lighter (less special effects and others) though, that will help.

Level 3
and people dont lag with your maps? are you sure about this, im talking about 6v6 games, where people are using custom spells like crazy, 0.03 sounds like suicide

Level 29
I said 0.03125 is the best lol but 0.03 is close enough.

If it still has lag look at improving your coding. Then look at decreasing the effects and units being created. Also be careful about unit groups. Creating them a lot is costly.

Show some triggers and we can help improve them.

0.03 is fine some systems run at 0.01 to work good.

Level 22
No, my computer didn't. I usually experience lag when playing TD's, because there are a lot of units on the map.

I played pudge wars once, and It didn't lag, there was 4 players on each team IIRC.

Level 3
alright, so you guys are pretty sure that lag is more related to effects, dummys and group creation?

Level 3
what would you guys say makes a map lag the most, effects, dummys or group creation?

Level 16
ok, so i read the whole thread, and here is my point now:
Firstly: even a 0.00 s loop trigger will not LAG! until that something called leak or function spam or high fps effects are done with it
a prove for it? download my randomizer 3.0 in my sig, it may have a loop of 0.01 and it can be set to 0.00 and it won't lag if you don't go for a number higher than 5000 calls at a time, so basically, well coded and not too effect costly triggers can run at 0.0002 s loop without a problem!
that's all, if you have any questions, ask me

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 25
ok, so i read the whole thread, and here is my point now:
Firstly: even a 0.00 s loop trigger will not LAG! until that something called leak or function spam or high fps effects are done with it
a prove for it? download my randomizer 3.0 in my sig, it may have a loop of 0.01 and it can be set to 0.00 and it won't lag if you don't go for a number higher than 5000 calls at a time, so basically, well coded and not too effect costly triggers can run at 0.0002 s loop without a problem!
that's all, if you have any questions, ask me
0.0 loop trigger with any function will just freeze the screen like hell and crash the thread, so it's kinda stupid having 0.0002 anyway :D. The minium number I've tried and started to have lag like hell was 0.001. 0.01 is always good since it is well coded :thumbs_up:

Level 16
0.0 loop trigger with any function will just freeze the screen like hell and crash the thread, so it's kinda stupid having 0.0002 anyway :D. The minium number I've tried and started to have lag like hell was 0.001. 0.01 is always good since it is well coded :thumbs_up:

I tested it before :grin: the 0.00 s loop with the code you can see in the randomizer doesn't lag until it reashes 5000 excecution without stopping resulting a 0.0002 s loop without lag with well coded and not creation hungry triggers

Level 22
PurgeandFire said:
Most of the fps lag I experience is not from CPU issues, but rather GPU issues. Do your best to avoid too many effects/particles on screen.
This, and units too. Pathfinding seems to be an issue too for TD's that periodically order the units to move to a specific location. It would be great if you could just slide (knockback) the units instead of using wc3 engine to calculate paths, but alas, you won't be able to use maze like towers lol.

Level 20
0.03 or 0.04 is my recommended time period. It will lag if you spawn special effects every 0.03 seconds with highly in particles effect. Reducing the effect or making an effect in knockback must be this:
  • Normal Effects Creating in Knockback
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.03 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- Creating effects in 0.03 will cause a lags so how will you reduce the effects in 0.03 ? --------
      • -------- It is simple. --------
      • -------- Create ITE Condition ( Real Comparison ) ----> Math Random Number or Math Random Percentage. --------
      • -------- But I'll use Math Random Reals because it is adjustible limit. --------
      • -------- I'll use 0.25 as a chance in creating special effects. You can use 0.50 as a chance. --------
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Random real number between 0.00 and 1.00) Less than or equal to 0.25
        • Then - Actions
          • Set Point = (Position of (Triggering unit))
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Point using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
        • Else - Actions
      • -------- Finish --------
      • -------- This method is recommendable in highly particle effects like thunder clap. --------
      • -------- This is just a suggestion and example :P. --------

Level 16
3125/100000 will result the same if GUI :/
Did you try the 0.00 in my randomizer? If not, so there is nothing to discuss, it depends on the trigger if 0.00>0.03 loops are laggy or not
I think registering a trigger with a Custom script via another trig is the best idea for GUI triggers

Level 5
actually it wont lag if u dont create too many dummy, gived too many skills, SFX and other long proses...
:D

but as far as i know, 0.025-0.4 is very common choice

Status
Not open for further replies.