• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

We need to get going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have returned! And I bring tidings from the ancient mapping city of SEN! Don't jump the gun on this, because he hasn't responded yet, but I befriended a SEN moderator, and decided I would ask him if he would consider a Hive/Sen alliance to help circumvent members and ideas, I think this would be a great way to keep the flow. We're getting into a groove, and I think this would be good. So tell me, do you guys think we should ally with SEN?

Level 7
boo hoo

How did that have anything to do with your demotion?

Wow Max.

Anyways, I say we shouldn't even bother with SCII. What we should do is focus on maintaining an active WCIII community; afterall it's one of the best games I've ever played.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I mostly dislike SCII because of it's impossibly complicated editor (while I do admit that the trigger editor is pretty nice, the data editor just drives me nuts! >_>

Wow Max.

Anyways, I say we shouldn't even bother with SCII. What we should do is focus on maintaining an active WCIII community; afterall it's one of the best games I've ever played.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I mostly dislike SCII because of it's impossibly complicated editor (while I do admit that the trigger editor is pretty nice, the data editor just drives me nuts! >_>

People are very narcissistic, not one person who has said screw sc2 has done it because they feel it is better for the community. They only care about themselves. Everyone who wants to stay in wc3 will move on eventually, and then it will be too late. In fact, the people afraid of getting left behind are being complete assholes. Its the kind of selfishness that keeps anyone from moving forward. I haven't seen one person say its for the better of the community and why, they only dislike SC2 so they don't want their hiveworkshop pages cluttered with a game they would rather not try. If you want to think about everyone, prove it by thinking about Ralle. I have been talking to Ralle, and poor Ralle feels spent because nothing he can do makes the site any more populous. Its been months, and few members are joining. Ralle cant do it all by himself, he lends so much of his time to the site anyway. He needs our help, so if you like wc3, that's fine, but don't use it as an excuse to keep us back. Its for the good of all of us.

Level 15
while I do admit that the trigger editor is pretty nice,

Funny I think the opposite.

There is no function list for direct scripters forcing us to convert from GUI (which is slow then just searching through a list) and also is probably forcing us to use double-function calls they've added in to make GUI programming easier (like BJ's). Additionally the compiler is incredibly vague about why errors occured and the syntax highlighter is not only laggy as all hell but it is wrong 99% of the time.

Blizz also didn't give us direct access to the API for objects like units, effects, doodads, etc. Which not only makes coding difficult but also makes making a mod uneccissarily data-editor dependant. Infact when making a mod using the galaxy editor, the VAST MAJORITY of the mod ends up being made in the data editor, which is basically sticking it to people like me who not only don't like using the data editor but also want the added functionality and more dynamic control that we would have from direct access to the API for those object types.

All in all however, the SC2 editor simply allows you to do more and is really the future for most modders. Ofcourse, there are alot of people who will likely stay with WC3 until enough fantasy/medieval style resources are created to work with the SC2 engine.

The main thing i'm annoyed with is the fact that you can't publish your maps outside of battlenet. This is just another typical Bobby Kotick business model designed to take power away from modders (and just independ developers in general) and force gamers to suck the tit of activision-blizzard.

Yeah, if anything all the new legalities surrounding maps are particularly discouraging to modders - wc3 modding was pretty free in nature, you didn't seem to have a sense of legality looming over your shoulder. Sc2 has all these new restrictions on what you can and can't do and worse yet, what does and doesn't belong to you even as the content's creator - it's particularly intimidating, especially if you're fairly serious about maybe going indie with your idea.

It's a bit of a win lose situation, for one it gives you the methods of distributing your idea and the serious tools to do it - it's standardized so pretty much anyone with sc2 can play your idea and unlike wc3, you have the potential to make a financial gain through it (at least through standard means, not through websites and that sort of thing). But on the other hand it's a bit creatively limiting and intimidating.

Level 4
I have returned! And I bring tidings from the ancient mapping city of SEN! Don't jump the gun on this, because he hasn't responded yet, but I befriended a SEN moderator, and decided I would ask him if he would consider a Hive/Sen alliance to help circumvent members and ideas, I think this would be a great way to keep the flow. We're getting into a groove, and I think this would be good. So tell me, do you guys think we should ally with SEN?
Who did you befriend :0

Incidentally, I'm from SEN and we're going through basically the same thing as hive. Should we stick with sc1, and let the sc2 mappers go to mapster? Or should we keep trudging along? I think the alternative would be to have a new mapping site, maybe even galaxywiki.net but with a forum and resource section. This would be for sc2 mappers from hive and SEN, as a sc2-only alternative to mapster.

Level 14
The Reason why SC2 Modding is slower than War3 is because its more advanced and hard to create something in the SC2 Editor.
Creating a new unit in War 3: 5 mins
Creating one in SC2: A lot more.

It took me forever to create a custom Photon Cannon, and its alittle buggy.

And SC2 requires more time, effort, and patience. But this may reward more opportunities.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Personally, I'll only really start modding StarCraft II when Blizzard increases the map dimensions and adds the multiplayer campaign feature, assuming they'll do it for Heart of the Swarm, otherwise I doubt I'll even buy the game unless someone offers me it; I sort of bought (half bought half gift) Wings of Liberty because of the modding offers it promised, I feel rewarded because of the campaign, but as for modding, we're drowned in, first, the legality issues that WherewolfTherewolf mentioned, second, the inability to do anything medieval-related until our artist start developing new stuff, and third, the stupid limitations we've been imposed which I hope Blizzard is planning to undo in future expansions.
Risks, RPs, RPGs, and anything medieval-themed are killed off for the time being, so I doubt those map types are going to be seen until a few years from now.

EDIT: Hmm, this is actually a good thing to rant about in the e-mail Blizzard sent me.

Status
Not open for further replies.