1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

We need to get going...

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by lightning brigade, Jan 27, 2011.

1. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Vaktmästare

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The opening paragraph applies to a terraining contest as well.
    While letting my doubt that more than a handful users would participate slip, you would still have to consider it from the jury's perspective.

Without reliable and widely accepted techniques to critique, the judging would, purely subjectively if I may add, be based on the appearance of the terrain only.
    And while this may sound ideal, I would be stunned if the drama from such judging didn't evolve into a full on riot in the blink of an eye.

We all know the majority of all artfags can't handle criticism well.

That aside, I can't imagine any 'none space related' themes for such a contest, seeming as there aren't too many custom models to work with, or at least to my knowledge.

So no, I would not promote such a contest.

Tiny compared to Hive, yes.
    Tiny compared to Hive regarding active Starcraft modders, I think not.

To be completely honest, I would say that next to every active Starcraft modder on Hive has an account on UDMod already.

I'm sticking to my guns, if more than a handful people would each have a 'not too crappy' entry before the deadline, I'd be shocked.

2. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    You have to start somewhere you know
    Why bother waiting for someone else to do it for you?

3. fladdermasken

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Vaktmästare

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I didn't say 'don't start', I said 'don't start with a contest'.

And whatever, I don't care as long as the Starcraft terraining contests won't compromise or replace the Warcraft ones.
    Call me conservative and selfish if you wish, but I for one don't have Starcraft and I'm not planning on getting it any time soon either, if ever.

4. WherewolfTherewolf

WherewolfTherewolf

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Neither am I, I just find it odd that there hasn't been more progress made with sc2 here

5. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Because, this is a non mapping related asset site. (As in not about systems etc. More about art related assets.) And, until Blizzard releases their asset development tools, we aren't going to see any.

You can't compare this site to mapster as we both house users with completely different intensives for the most part. As far as I can tell, there are no sites booming with large amounts of art assets.

So, its not because we're slow, its because Blizzard wont get their shit strait.

Now watch as a bunch of people swarm to defend Blizzard. :3

6. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I've seen a few artistic assets developed at SCmapster, and we've also seen a few here, namely CloudWolf's Zealot skin, but people do seem to prefer Mapster over the Hive. Which makes me question if Mapster is a website or spin-off of a website that houses StarCraft fans?

7. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, ofc there are some art assets. But, we wont see them in mass quantities (or sustainable quantities for that matter) until Blizzard gives us their stuff. Kinda like what happened with wc3.

8. M0rbid

M0rbid

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Yesterday evening I took some time to write a comment to tell about the situation regarding sc2 terraining contests, but the moment I wanted to post it, my internet crashed and somehow the whole message (bunchatext) was deleted and I could not access it anymore, however this sums it up to a certain extant:

I had some more things to add, but yeah, those problems exist....

9. GhostThruster

GhostThruster

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Blizzard sucks.

There isn't much harm to a contest, the worst that could happen is only 1 person signs up, in which you can simply cancel the contest.
    Terraining Contests and Texturing Contests seems doable, since we've got the necessary assets already, and it isn't very hard to judge. Now, yeah I know

But a texturing competition wouldn't fall prey to this.

Anyways, I say we make a contest, and it'll get people onto SC2, and onto THW.

10. PureConMayo

PureConMayo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hi all, i know the hive about 2 years ago, but only rigth now i've registered as a member of this community. Personally, i prefer wc3 that sc2, and i'll continue mapping in we of wc3. But i recognize that sc2 its a great platform to be exploted as an editing stuff, but the whole community must think about having two great platforms and make them to coexist. Maybe the ones who are more interested in sc2 have to structure the way to be both sc2 and wc3 powerfull hive... the idea is not to moving on just because there is a new game, or just because wc3 its stucked and there probably will be no more updates, but it still being a great plataform and many, many people still playing and mapping in wc3, and those people need some house-idea and a way to share their projects, and the hive is an amazing one. (sorry about my english if there is a mistake)

11. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    We don't go anywhere by worrying, lead, or be led.

12. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's the point, there is no where to go. What are we supposed to be leading? Have the most sc2 maps? This site was never about having lots of maps. It's always been about giving mappers assets they couldn't otherwise make themselves. There's nothing to lead because Blizzard won't give us anything.

There is no real race here.

13. NightElf125

NightElf125

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Bullcrap? Is that the kind of language that you use around here when disagreeing with someone? Tskk tskk, that's disappointing. I want wc3 to survive, and I never said it wouldn't require work to do that. But I do believe that we will achieve it in some form. The SC2 editor requires way more than a MODICUM of effort to learn compared to the wc3 editor and I have talented map makers who can vouch for this. The editor is simply not designed as well as it needs to be. There is a way to achieve user-friendliness without cutting back on efficiency or power; something which the sc2 editor lacks. Not having chat channels, clans, etc at the launch of the game was a huge mistake and as a person who went out and bought the game, beat the singleplayer, played a little multiplayer, and quit out of boredom and over the weird lack of features and quality custom maps, I can vouch for this and so can many other people. Perhaps if the game had has these seemingly obvious and critical things at the start and not in a patch AGES later, it would've held my interest for slightly longer. But not much more due to the boredom that would ensue from the above mentioned lack of quality custom maps along with the horrible and much criticized popularity system for them.

Your guess is as good as anyone's else's and you aren't anymore right than me. It's my opinion that the site should stay focused on wc3. Let another community take the lead in sc2.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  14. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Bob, People have been making due with what we can on sc2 for ahwile, its not like when wc3 came out it was any better. wc3 has like 7 years of time or support to develop.

I am saying, we need to get out there for the new modders.

15. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's not really what I mean. I'm talking about art assets. "Making due" applies to the few people who have managed to use the independent exporters that they have. What we really need, is Blizzard's art tools, which we wont get till the expansion. (Classic example is wc3.) Until then, we shouldn't go all "ohshi the sky is falling" just because we aren't as big as another site, that isn't even going the direction we are anyway.

16. The World Is Flat

The World Is Flat

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    We always have been a more art-oriented site anyway...

17. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Exactly! Which is why there is no real competition between us an mapster.

18. Linaze

Linaze

Resources:
    Models:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    But how will you get new promising artists here with nearly nothing at all to show off?

19. Mr. Bob

Mr. Bob

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We never needed something to show off in the past..and honestly we never had it. The sad truth is we artists only submit out crap because of an epeen thing. Atleast, when you get right down do it.

20. Black_meoonG

Black_meoonG

Resources:
    Resources:
    Just ask blizzard to create WorldCraft..no more WarCraft or StarCraft..

so blizzard can focused to one Epic game..and we WC3 and SC2 player can live on Peace..

and that's was an independent day for all mapster..
    (sorry..bad grammar)