• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

We are getting a new server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The other day Ghan_04 sent me a link to some clearance deals by our current server host. They were selling a server with 16 GB of memory and dual 1TB hard drives.
The server was $10 less than our current system so I ordered it!

I think we will get access to the server on monday or tuesday. So expect some downtime on that day :)

Ralle

Level 10
What can I say is:
warcraft0707.gif

hmm is your server will be yours forever? and ever?

Level 15
The other day Ghan_04 sent me a link to some clearance deals by our current server host. They were selling a server with 16 GB of memory and dual 1TB hard drives.
The server was $10 less than our current system so I ordered it!

I think we will get access to the server on monday or tuesday. So expect some downtime on that day :)

Ralle

Well, the harddrives aren't needed much :T As I recall the entirity of the Hive could fit onto a large capacity USB drive.

Are they in RAID 0 or 1

Level 15
lol
I know COMPUTERS with more than that xD xD

----
EDIT: Btw, how much did the original server have (RAM and Storage)

The original was probably an early Pentium 3 or 4 under Ralles bed, probably 1-2ghz with 1gb of RAM. Don't know exactly though. The one before this one was an Athlon 64 with 2gb. Current is an i7 something with 4gb (originally was 2gb, but was unstable).

Also, servers ARE computers. And you don't need the top of the line shit to run a simple forum site and a knitting site.

Still think Nina's mittens are awesomes

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 7
The original was probably an early Pentium 3 or 4 under Ralles bed, probably 1-2ghz with 1gb of RAM. Don't know exactly though. The one before this one was an Athlon 64 with 2gb. Current is an i7 something with 4gb (originally was 2gb, but was unstable).

Also, servers ARE computers. And you don't need the top of the line shit to run a simple forum site and a knitting site.

Still think Nina's mittens are awesomes

Lol, way to go Ralle! :ogre_love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
Hive's current server is using approximately 100 GB of disk space, so that part is just a bonus - we were nowhere close to running out. The RAM obviously will be the big gain here. It will allow the database to have more room for caching, which should improve performance. :)

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Well, the harddrives aren't needed much :T As I recall the entirity of the Hive could fit onto a large capacity USB drive.

Are they in RAID 0 or 1
Yeah one of them 128 GB ones.

lol
I know COMPUTERS with more than that xD xD

----
EDIT: Btw, how much did the original server have (RAM and Storage)
Yeah well. 16 GB is enough.
very very good, i do like the fact that you are trying to save money for the future of the hive.
It's mostly because I am getting that much extra RAM :D

Status
Not open for further replies.