• šŸ† Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. šŸ”—Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 2 - Tides of Darkness - Humans

Ladies and gentlemen, i'm happy and proud to announce, after almost 5 years of continously interrupted and not-always-frequent works, my Warcraft 2 Remake of the Tides of Darkness Human Campaign.
"What? Only the human campaign??" You will ask. The Enhancement work is what took most of the time, and i had to continously improve and change it every time i was having new ideas(and that happened frequently, even in the latest weeks). However, worry not, as the Orc Campaign work is at its last map and will soon put on beta-test for final release. In the mean time you can enjoy this marvelous project i had so much passion and heart working on. Below you can read some of the most notable aspects of this project, including explanations of the brand-new original real deal of the remake; the Enhanced Mode.
Make sure you're using versions PRIOR to 1.29(preferably any within 1.28), in particular the one which can be found in my user signature below. Of course you need to own the original game first in order to be able to run it. Thank you all for your patience and please have fun playing my campaign.

FEATURES
- Single Player Human Campaign. All 14 maps remade for Warcraft 3 with lots of Warcraft 2 retrospective, including interface, tilesets, unit models and more!
- Old original Warcraft 2 music brought back and played stage by stage. It was originally intended to play in the order it was, but for reasons it has been set in a Warcraft 1 style, which means each level plays a different track in loop.
- Old spells recreated with some adjustments(read below).
- Accurate remake of the old levels' geography, and i must give a MASSIVE credit to @Cuore and @Stormshock for their job on the terraining. Some maps size is a bit over-scaled compared to originals, but the likelihood is still very impressive. Cuore himself provided the customized tilesets and i do believe that this remake wouldn't be considered as such without them!
- Artificial Intelligence recreated and improved(by default). The campaign has been tested, and many adjustments have been done. Credit goes to Clownboss for his patience(and to myself for having even more of it in dealing with his rants and complaints lol)
- Damage system will be the standard Warcraft 3 type. Just like Warcraft 2 was a "balance patch" of Warcraft 1, so this remake will be, compared to its Warcraft 1 predecessor. Catapults will no longer be imba, but they will still play their role in safely taking down enemy fortifications or responding to ships' cannons.
- Oil System recreated by Loktar. The cargo-collection ratio seems a bit faster than original and might break the game a bit but Oil is a relative resource compared to the two primary ones.
- Intro briefings displayed as cinematic maps that will precede the actual missions, accompanying the player through the original briefing musics and narration with a cinematic.
- Mission Objective tabs simplified but the Enhanced version will have new custom subfaction unit tabs for each mission that they will become available.

ECONOMY
An element of warcraft 2 not possible to 100% replicate in Warcraft 3.
In warcraft 2 workers spend 4 seconds inside a mine, and 4 seconds inside a Town Hall during the resource gathering process. Although it would seem slow, the player could send an "unlimited" number of workers at once into a single mine, without one waiting for the other to come out first. I could set a simultaneous cargo possibility too, but in warcraft 3 workers make an instant drop-and-go to the Town Hall/Saw Mill, and it cannot be changed, so it would disrupt the economy rhytm. Hence I had to balance this up making calculations of resource trains over a pre-fixed amount of time. With the invaluable help of Clownboss calculations, the final result was setting the "mining time" to approximately 0.90 seconds and the gold harvested to 60 units per trip. This is the closest remake for warcraft 2 economy, as the standard for Warcraft 3, as i said, was too much disrupting.
Gold, lumber and oil cargo income increases normally(by +5/+10 iirc to fit with the readapted economy system) upon upgrading the Town Hall or building a Lumber Mill(+25) or Refinery(+25).

SPELLS
Paladin Healing will still work as in my Warcraft 1 remake. Most of the readaptations will be much notable from the Orc side and will be explained when the Orc Campaign will be up.
Lordaeron Paladins(Enhanced Mode) have now a new spell called Silver Halo, which works similarly as Rejuvenation: Heals 60hp over 20 seconds, with a 75 mana cost and a cooldown of 10 seconds. This adjustment has been made to try to balance the regular Healing spell that the Lordaeron Paladins had in the previous version, which favoured them more on the offensive than in the defensive.
Like the Dalaran subfaction, some Stormreaver units will benefit from a "Resistant Skin" ability called Runic Ward. Runic Ward and Arcane Plating will now properly reduce the duration and damage of some spells.
Polymorph duration has been changed from 10(600 seconds) to 5 minutes(300 seconds). Units with Runic Ward\Arcane Plating will stay polymorphed for 100 seconds.
Bloodlust has been adjusted and will now increase attack damage instead of attack speed. Also, it will no longer interfere with Haste, as apparently both spells had similar effects due to being generated from the same source-spell.
Exorcism spell implemented! Based on Disenchant, this spell removes all spell effects within a radius of 200, also dealing 30 damage to all undeads within. Dispel feature reflects the prestige(Master Paladin) and cost of the spell research. The catch is that it costs 120 mana and has 20 seconds of cooldown. With this spell, Holy Vision at 60 mana cost and Silver Halo at 75 mana cost, the Lordaeron Paladin might end up being out of spellcasting for a while, but the subfaction's Magik stat sits at 1 for a reason. ;)
Rune spell implemented! The spell creates a single rune for 40 spell points(5:1=200:40) which becomes neutral after casting and will damage anything stepping near it for 50 damage.
Fireball will still work as a sniping spell and not like the way it used to be in Wc2.
Death Coil has been reworked and it now works like a Chain Lightning spell(hooks to a target and does half damage to a target next to it).
Polymorph will turn enemies into sheeps for "only" 10 minutes instead of forever. This is to create some sort of "balance", expecially in the Orc Campaign, when you'll be facing attack waves of Mages in the Dalaran map.
Some spells mana cost/duration have been changed to be more balanced with their orc/human equivalents.
Exorcism and Runes aren't implemented(yet?) in this remake.

OTHER REMAKE MECHANICS
To better accomodate some features in the Enhanced mode, which include more ways of getting invisible units into the game, i've reworked some units to get a sort of balance around this frequent chance of encountering an invisible unit.
- Submarine units are "invisible", hence submerged only technically, but they are not. It means they can be spotted with some detection abilities from spells, units or buildings.
- Scout Towers, air units and Vision spells can detect invisible units.
Flying Machines and submarines have a very reduced detection radius compared to Gryphons. This reflects their cost and accessibility privilege.
- Upgrading a Scout Tower into any of its variations will prevent it from detecting invisible units. This creates actual usefulness in the Scout Towers, making them a reliable building to have within the base, should the need to face invisible units will arise.
- The topic of naval mechanics needs some explanations:
Naval units cannot be attacked from melee units in Warcraft 2. To recreate this in Warcraft 3 i had to classify all ships as "ancient" within the editor, so that ranged units may target them as ancient and melee units not. The reason why melee units cannot attack naval buildngs is because Submarines cannot attack ground targets in Warcraft 2. If neither naval buildings were not ancient it would have meant that Submarines were able to attack ground structures too. Hence, in order for this old Warcraft 2 mechanic to happen and be as balanced as possible i had to sacrifice the possibility for melee units to attack both ships and naval buildings. It was either them or the Submarines able to strike towards land. I preferred the first option.
- Catapult/Balistas, Ships and Flying Machines/Zeppelins can be repaired. ;)

KNOWN BUGS
- Oil system is not 100.00% perfect yet. If you destroy or cancel construction of an oil platform, the oil patch will disappear as well. I wanted to call Loktar and tell him to fix this, as he did every time i told him there was something wrong, but he is STILL inactive since January 2021! :( I hope he's ok, but i don't have the knowledge to be able to fix this on my own.
- When you build a Basic Structure and tell another worker to build an Advanced Structure, the first one won't be able to build the Basic Structure he was going to build, remaining idle at his last building placement location. This gets pretty annoying, expecially if you have multiple workers building a structure from different categories, or, worse yet, a construction command-chain.
- Loading a saved game will show "username" in the defeat/victory screen, instead of a forced "sub/faction name".
- When trying to build naval structures(Shipyard/Foundry/Refinery) not always your worker will be able to build them. This is because of the shallow water on shorelines. These structures are shown to be buildable on water, but the worker has to actually get to the location in order to build them(and he obviously can't swim onto it). In the initial testings we had many occasions of dealing with this issue, so i went into the editor and extended the shallow water shoreline a bit wherever possible because in some maps the tester was continously trying to place a structure in the water, only to be answered back "Can't build there!" over and over and over. It was kinda hilarious to see him hammering the hotkey looking for any possible valid point, but it was not a situation in which I, the player, wished to be in.

(Despite ok to build, the Shipyard can't be built because the peasant can't get to target location)

wc3scrnshot_052921_140159_02-jpg.386725

(with the target location placed a bit back in, now he can)

wc3scrnshot_052921_140204_03-jpg.386726

All shorelines should be ok now, but there might still be some sections that "escaped" my hand. Let me know with a screenshot if you find some.
- When you try to load a transport with a group of Knights or a group of units including Knights, the units will all stop for no reasons, either right after ordered to board or after one of the Knights boards. So far this happens only with Knights and not with Ogres or any other unit. Anyone knows why? Anyone can eventually explan how i can fix this? Let me know, please.
Other bugs might happen? Should anyone experience something weird, please come here and report. Thank you.

ENHANCED MODE
The Enhanced Mode is basically my childhood dream. However, even with the custom tilesets, it will never feel like playing the original game. Is something that i feel. The dazzling and exquisite graphic of Warcraft 2 is such an original and eternal work of heart that no 3d engine will be able to replicate.

- Once activated, complete a map with it and you will unlock it for the next one, and so on.
- It changes the game so that in each ACT of the campaign you play as a different subfaction(as partially described here https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/warcraft-2-the-remake.293076/ ) between the Nations of the Alliance.
- The enemy will change appearance of units and buildings according to the Orc subfaction in that map.
For example, in the first act you will play as the Azeroth subfaction, against the Blackrock subfaction. In the 2nd Act you will play as Stromgarde subfaction against Black Tooth Grin subfaction, and so on.
- Every subfaction has its perks, distinct traits and features(like customized icons, upgrades, spells, units etc.) that will let you discover multiple styles of gameplay and curious combinations of warfare to tackle your opponents with.
- Some maps will change drastically regarding position of enemy units or entire starting conditions of the map you're playing.
- Unlike my Warcraft 1 Hard Mode, the Enhanced mode will not feature Bonus Objectives or extremely hard AI opponents. The presence of subfaction units and their many abilities and features will be an asset that will enrich your gameplay and give you more variables and ways to complete a mission as you travel through the campaign.

Project is now on
PATCH v1.4

Ver CHANGE LOG:

COSMETIC CHANGES

• Changed Dragons Fireball attack model with the one I originally had from the project Rebirth. This one has a sparkling effect upon hit like the Gryphons' one. Same model has been set to the Fireball spell.
  • Swapped Gryphons/Dragons target effects' Death animation with Stand, so that the "clap" happens upon impact and hence without abnormal delay. Also, replaced the "clap" sound with the original fire explosion from Warcraft 2.
  • Added new models for Doomhammer, Turalyon, Khadgar(from Tauer) and Lord Perenolde(Khadgar_Young by Stefan.K) with due credits.
  • Added portraits for Gryphons and Black Tooth Grin Ogres. Gryphons' portraits have a bit of static lips when talking, and Ogres' portraits bug a bit(play not corresponding talking animations) due to the 2-headed Ogre voiceset, but they're both cool nevertheless.
  • Fixed tooltips for subfactions Mage Towers not displaying the correct name of mages to be trained.
  • Added a new skin for Dragons. This one looks even more like the one seen in Warcraft 2.
  • Added a new model for Death & Decay effect. This one looks more like the "boiling" effect seen in Warcraft 2. Also added a customized debuff effect for said spell.
  • Due to all subfactions' Holy Vision and Eye of Killrogg abilities now being separate spells for each corresponding casting unit, separate icons have now been created for each of them, with each own corresponding teamcolor! :)

GENERAL CHANGES

• All artillery units(except cannons) "small damage AoE" increased from 70 to 100.
  • Some maps show some excessive text croppings within their Subfaction Unit list tabs, so I made some fixes to make them readable.
  • All AoE spells should now work correctly, being able to damage building and units(friendly or enemy) alike, with Monsoon and Mana Storm only able to attack enemy units.
  • The "Khaboom!" ability couldn't target walls. Fixed. Also, damage increased by 410(total 810). In this way it should one-shot Farms like in the original game. Farms with Upgraded Masonry may still survive a blast.
  • Silver Halo and Healing Salve visual effects were accidentally swapped between each other. Fixed.
  • Added firing sound to the Ballista model.
  • Unholy Armor removed from Enhanced Mode. The spell is scripted and thus can't be dispelled nor spell-stolen. The "remade" version of Exorcism, though, may dispel the buff, but the script will still keep the spell active till its duration.
  • Added wc2 sound for Runes cast, Shipyard and Eye/Ward of Killrogg cast. Also, by popular demand: "I got the flying machine!".
  • Due to the fact that Stromgarde can no longer build Cannon Towers from this patch, all the Orc maps which feature them have their Cannon Towers swapped with Guard Towers.
  • Human maps 5 and 6 now have Black Tooth Grin Guard Towers swapped with Goblin Towers.
  • Enemy Lordaeron or Black Tooth Grin subfactions will have their signature Masonry/Barricades upgrades researched according to how far you are progressing in the campaign.

MAP CHANGES

• Reworked rogue prisoners mechanic in Enhanced human map "The Prisoners". Now the attacking Peasants will not turn into neutral, nor hostile, but will periodically engage player's units whilst remaining "friendly" and will count towards the required number for map completion objective.
  • Reworked cinematic in human intro map1. Human coastal town is now black teamcolored. Instead of depicting an orcish onslaught on a doomed human outpost, now the scene will better portrait what the narrator mentions as for "orcish marauders raiding coastal towns", showing a Gilneas outpost struggling with defenses, yet about to receive backup from a nearby party of Footmen.
  • Reduced number of Footmen in human intro map2 to reflect the starting force of Enhanced Human map2. Same done on Enhanced Human map6, adding two Stromgardian Footmen joining Turalyon and the newly acquired Knight on their way to the Dun Algaz outpost.
  • Enemy tankers weren't gathering oil in Orc map4. Fixed.
  • Objective completion on Classic Orc map10 wasn't terminating the map. Fixed.
  • Objective on Enhanced Orc map12 wasn't working as intended. Fixed.
  • Lordaeron Knights are no longer available in Enhanced human map "The Prisoners".
  • In Enhanced human map "The Dark Portal", the Blackrock Clan shows Warlocks in the intro but standard Death Knights in the actual map. Fixed.
  • Removed a bunch of unused stuff from the Grim Batol building tabs in the orc map "Badlands".
  • Repositioned enemy Troll Destroyers in Enhanced human map "Grim Batol". They will not patrol the river any longer, but will remain stationary within its inner section, so that none of your ground units can kite them from the shoreside.
  • Removed unused trainable ships in Classic orc map "Fall of Lordaeron".
  • In Enhanced "Betrayal of Alterac" the sun rises when the Archmage is rescued. This will now occour when the Archmage is teleported away at the Circle of Power.
  • Removed pre-placed Demo Squads, Destroyers, Battleships, and Shipyard from Enhanced map "Battle at Crestfall".
  • All Blackrock Clan's Guard Towers and Cannon Towers replaced with Frost/Hellfire Towers in Enhanced maps "Battle at Crestfall" and "Assault on Blackrock Spire". Improved Blackrock AI upon Burning Blade's defeat in the latter one.
  • Gryphons and other flying enemy units now have their map patrolling patterns in both Classic & Enhanced version of the orc map "Fall of Lordaeron".

ARMOR & ATTACK TOOLTIPS COMPILED
Since the first release of this remake, armor types and attack types have been set to a different standard than Warcraft 3. But how? This is a list which you will also see in the game, from now on, by moving the cursor over the corresponding icons on every unit within the game.
"more/extra damage" is about 1.25 to 1.40 of the indicated amount.
"reduced damage" is about 0.75 of the amount dealt by the mentioned type.

CHAOS ATTACKS (i.e. Dragons, Gryphons) do more damage to Medium, Large and Fortified Armor. Other top-tier units in enhanced mode(including Archmages and Storm Knights) also have Chaos type attacks, mostly due to the fact that there are units whose abilities may make them immune to magic attacks. Note: This tooltip appears unexplicably cropped off in game, terminating at "Chaos".
NORMAL ATTACKS (i.e. Footmen, Knights) do extra damage against Medium armor.
PIERCING ATTACKS (all ranged non-spellcaster units, with few exceptions) do extra damage to Small armor, Heavy armor, Fortified armor, and reduced damage to Medium armor. Note that damage from Piercing attacks can be reduced through abilities.
SIEGE ATTACKS (Artillery units and few melee units within the Enhanced Mode) do extra damage to Normal armor, Heavy armor and Fortified armor.
MAGIC ATTACKS (i.e. spellcaster units) do extra damage against Heavy armor, Fortified armor, Normal armor, and reduced damage to Medium armor.
TORPEDO ATTACKS (submarines) cannot hit ground units. This was set before I decided to make submarine able to target ships and naval structures only. Being able to attack land units, even with a next-to-zero damage factor, simply couldn't stand up.

NORMAL ARMOR (standard troops) takes extra damage from Siege and Magic attacks.
FORTIFIED ARMOR (i.e. buildings) takes extra damage from all but Normal attacks. This is due to buildings having an average of 17 armor points(50% damage reduction) by default. Some have 11, also Lordaeron and Black Tooth Grin can upgrade their armor, etc.
HEAVY ARMOR (ships) takes extra damage from Chaos, Magic, Piercing and Siege attacks. Same as above, the standard armor of ships has a high damage resistance percentage factor.
HEROES (in Beyond the Dark Portal, will) take reduced damage from Magic, Piercing and Siege attacks.
LIGHT ARMOR (unused?) takes extra damage from Magic and Piercing attacks.
MEDIUM ARMOR (Flyers, some artillery units and some other units(i.e. Genbu) which encourage a melee response over a ranged one) takes extra damage from Chaos and Normal attacks, and reduces damage from Piercing and Magic attacks.

NEW ENHANCED MASTER TRAINING MECHANIC
Upgrading spellcaster units for each subfaction in the Enhanced Mode will now unlock multiple advantages. These upgrades will not only grant additional spells for the corresponding unit, as usual, but will also stack up permanent stat benefits according to the type of unit, depending on which faction they belong to. The researches' tooltips will give you an idea.

SUBFACTIONS CHANGES

H U M A N S

AZEROTH
  • Added independent Armor and Attack upgrades to the subfaction, with corresponding icons from Warcraft 1.
  • Crossbowman: Armor reduced from 2 to 1. Point per upgrade reduced from 4 to 3. A large Crossbowmen/Clerics team proves an incredible wall of defense, nevertheless, and this subfaction shouldn't excel in defense, anyway.
  • Conjurer: Increased attack range from 338 to 450. Replaced Fire Shield with Entangling Roots. This ability binds single targets in place for 6(3) seconds for 50 mana and 5 seconds of cooldown, also dealing 2 hit-points of damage per second.
  • Cleric now has passive "True Sight", with range 600(submarines/Scout Towers/flying Machines have 300, Gryphons have 600). Reason to give them this ability is that without being able to build Flying Machines or Scout Towers the Azeroth subfaction would be pretty penalized by only having to rely on Holy Vision or Water Dragons to scout invisible units. It's the same reason of why I decided to give them their own Destroyers with a small innate detection radius. However, this ability won't be unlocked before the last map and for the only reason of showcasing since the Orcish subfactions featured there do not have any invisible unit whatsoever. It will but play a small key role in the Alterac Campaign. ;)

STROMGARDE
  • Added independent Armor and Attack upgrades to the subfaction. Sword Upgrades have a balanced cost between each level. 800-1600-2400 instead of 800-2400-3000(which should have initially been 800-2400-4000, had I not made Level 3 a custom separate upgrade).
  • Peasant: Battle Hunger removed.
  • Cannon Tower removed.
  • Ballista upgrades removed.
  • New siege unit: Manticore(by Mechanical Man). Replaces Ballista. Deals double the damage of a Guard Tower in a small area. Medium armor type. Has two dedicated levels of Attack Upgrade at the Blacksmith.
  • Inquisitors were mistakenly given less base armor than Knights. Fixed.
  • Ranger: Poison Arrows bonus damage removed. Now the ability will only slow down enemy targets for 3 seconds.
  • Fiery Spirit can now be researched from the Barracks instead of the Church, with a Castle as Tech-requirement.
  • Pyromancer: new spell added: Rain of Fire. Channeling spell. Casts 3 waves of fire, dealing 13 damage on all units in a 400 radius area.
  • Phoenix: Tech requirement changed from Fiery Spirit to Pyromancer Master Training.

LORDAERON
  • Added independent Armor and Attack upgrades to the subfaction.
  • Peasant: Spiked Armor removed.
  • New siege Unit: Cannon(by Khazmo). Replaces Ballista. Damage of a Cannon Tower. Medium armor type. Shares attack upgrades with Ships and defense upgrades with Footman and Knights(up to level 3; 2 points per upgrade).
  • Cryomancer: new spell added: Blizzard. Channeling spell. Casts 3 waves of ice shards, dealing 13 damage on all units in a 400 radius area.

DALARAN
  • Added independent Armor and Attack upgrades to the subfaction.
  • New siege unit: (runic)Catapult(by Em!). Replaces Ballista. Passive Magic attacks and Spell Immunity. Cannot be upgraded.
  • Iron Golem: changed model to JesusHipster's Siege Golem, which features teamcolor shoulder pads and a "Spinning Lariat" animation which inspired me to give it a new passive ability called "Whirlwind Attack", all and all matching the "Pulverize" ability from the Tauren.
  • Archmage: Damage increased from 6-8 to 8-14. Changed Attack Type to Chaos(bypasses units with Spell Immunity). Training time decreased from 60 to 40 seconds. Added minor passive health regeneration.
O R C S

BLACKROCK
  • Added independent Attack upgrade to the subfaction. This dual-level upgrade increases base damage of Grunts and Raiders by 1 point(as opposed to common 2 points).
  • Cannon Tower removed.
  • Warlock Tower: tech requirement changed from Stronghold to Blacksmith.
  • Hellfire Tower: Damage increased from 2-6 to 5-9. The incinerate ability doesn't seem to stack damage, hence this building has never been that effective in Defense, yet it still caused explosion at the target's death.
  • Grunt: Attacks now upgradeable.
  • Raider: Base damage increased from 6-12 to 7-13. Armor upgrades reduced from 4 to 2 points per level. Blood Frenzy changed to a new ability which doubles attack damage and changes the unit skin to red(Fel). The reason is: Whether or not the Blood Frenzy could have been dispelled or Spell-stolen(it wasn't supposed to be but apparently it is in the Orc Campaign for some reason), a TRIPLE attack speed on top of a 2-levels attack/defense upgrade simply overshadows the rest of the subfactions' features for a unit of this tier, and the player would obviously cease training Grunts in favour of Raiders. In this way the player might still see some usefulness in the Grunts' Demolish ability in case of having to attack fortified locations.

BLACK TOOTH GRIN
  • Spearthrower: Armor reduced from 2 to 1. Point per upgrade reduced from 4 to 3. "Defend" still makes it a good unit for ranged defenses. Not to mention that it can always be healed by Ogre-Tinkers, or buffed by Goblin Sorcerers.
  • Troll Destroyer replaced with Goblin Destroyer(Goblin Steamboat by kellym0 & MiniMage). This clan really wants no Trolls, does it? Just a separate model without any difference in stats. And no, I won't call it Steamboat, because it's got to require Oil to be built! ;)
  • Catapult specific armor upgrades removed. Now the unit will benefit from defense upgrades for Grunts & Ogres(2 points per upgrade). Sharpened Tusks Upgrade still remains.

STORMREAVER
  • Storm Knight: Attack Range increased from 336 to 567. Damage increased from 6-8 to 8-14. Changed Attack-Type to Chaos(bypasses units with Spell Immunity). Added Vampiric Drain ability.

BURNING BLADE
  • Added independent Armor and Attack upgrades to the subfaction. Attack Upgrades have a balanced cost between each level(overall cheaper, considering you can only upgrade Grunt's weapons with it). 500-1000-1500 Gold and 100-200-300 Lumber instead of 500-1250-2000 Gold and 100-300-500 Lumber.
  • Grunt model replaced with a variation from johnwar (sorry Tauer), which in my opinion has a closer look to a classic Wc2 Grunt(whose orange teamcolored pouldrons always seemed somehow bulkier to me). Also, the previous model showed a glitch which pasted some of its parts onto an enemy after being killed by it.
  • Ogre/Fel Ogre: Base Armor reduced from 11 to 7.
  • Fel Ogre now has a new spell called Fel Overdrive. It works as an Unholy Frenzy: increases attack speed by 300% but inflicts 4 hit-points damage per second.
  • Commander's Ward renamed into Commander's Battle Vest. This upgrade now increases Ogre/Fel Ogre hit-points by +10 on top of the additional defense upgrade.
  • Famine Knight: Increased attack range from 338 to 450. Added new Abilities called Vampiric Drain and Acid Web. Vampiric Drain restores life equal to 50% of the damage dealt by attacks; Acid Web binds single targets in place for 6(3) seconds for 50 mana and 5 seconds of cooldown, also dealing 2 hit-points of damage per second.
  • Hatred: Tweaked the combination between standard armor and Gelatinous Skin ability. Now the unit should be properly tanky for its designated role.

BLEEDING HOLLOW
  • Shadow Dragon: Decreased hit points from 100 to 70. Decreased training cost from 2500 to 2000. New animation for its breath attack. Passive ability Fel Breath renamed to Void Bolt.
  • Spirit Walker: Added Vampiric Drain ability. Removed health regeneration during Ethereal form.

Once again i would like to thank @Helldoom and Stormshock for their kind availability, the latter expecially for his work on the terraining.
Cuore for the terraining and custom tilesets!
Loktar for his invaluable help with the oil system and many other systems and models adjustments.
Azazzello for his kind concession of his source material of his early Warcraft:Rebirth project. Special mention goes to him for his masterpiece, the warcraft 2 Daemon, which was one of the missing GOLDEN tiles for this massive puzzle of a project.
@Vanza Crandle for testing the campaign in Normal Mode and Clownboss for testing it in Enhanced Mode!
Other authors are mentioned in the ending credits.

REDXIII
Urkdrengi
Mythic
deolrin
AndrewOverload519
3ICE
Ket
BogdanKry
PaulH
HerrDave
Tauer
Darkfang
Whisper
Static
Kola
The_Silent
Callahan
Dragonskull
Induwer
Kellym0
Kitabatake
Ujimasa Hojo
Supertoinkz
Takakenji
Loktar
AnemicRoyalty
Direfury
Jinn
Azazzello

Custom tilesets, icons and musics from Warcraft 2 by Blizzard

Please enjoy FOR FREE my work of heart of these past 5 years, and if you want to be super generous and kind, please donate. ;)
Very much appreciated! ^^

THIS THREAD MIGHT BE FURTHER MODIFIED OR EXPANDED LATER WITH ADDITIONAL EXPLANATIONS

SCREENSHOTS DISPLAYING KEY ASPECTS OF THE REMAKE

Campaign screens from Warcraft 2: The Dark Saga, for both progression and Act Interludes

wc3scrnshot_010921_005650_01-jpg.371999

wc3scrnshot_012021_122201_02-jpg.372236

Original cutscenes remade

wc3scrnshot_010921_010116_02-jpg.372000

wc3scrnshot_010921_162807_02-jpg.372002

Custom ported tilesets for Grasslands and Dirt maps

wc3scrnshot_010921_162951_03-jpg.372003

wc3scrnshot_080819_002328_01-jpg.372237

Cinematic cutscenes for every mission briefing for a greater plot-involvement

wc3scrnshot_011021_205830_01-jpg.372004

wc3scrnshot_012021_122254_03-jpg.372243

All original musics and screens ported

wc3scrnshot_012021_121202_01-jpg.372239

Enjoy and explore the Enhanced Mode, which adds more plot content to the campaign and custom material to play

(A group of Stromgarde Rangers use their custom "Poison Arrow" ability to slow down a group of Black Tooth Grin Grunts, safely taking them out)

wc3scrnshot_100920_185348_01-jpg.372006

(A Dalaran force advances supported by a group of Footmen, with their signature Mana Shield ability active)

wc3scrnshot_011721_170049_02-jpg.372240

(A squadron of damaged Elven Destroyers advances relentless towards its next objective)

wc3scrnshot_011121_190907_01-jpg.372005
Contents

WCII - Tides of Darkness - Humans (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Maps/chapters should start after the previous finishes. Every chapter's end leads to the campaign screen. The B hotkey from the Oil Platform doesn't work when pressing the key B. The Oil text in descriptions is mostly invisible. Destroy the orc...
Level 20
2. The Reclamation of Stormwind Keep - After WC1 events, the orcs used the Ruins of Stormwind as their own stronghold. I would like to think that some time in WC2, the Alliance was truly able to reclaim the keep for Varian and the people of Azeroth even before the Dark Portal was destroyed by Khadgar. I would imagine that this event could have happened AFTER the Alliance forces destroyed the Horde bases in Crestfall in ACT4. Somehow it makes sense cause coming from the isle of Crestfall near Kul Tiras, the Alliance forces would land on the northwestern shores of Azeroth, near Stormwind City ruins. I would think that they would have tried to reclaim the ruined city first BEFORE heading into Blackrock Spire in the east, plus it would be a nice touch in the story for Anduin Lothar to directly witness his own city finally retaken, before he would meet his end in Blackrock Spire.
Hello and happy new year to you!

I think all of this was already accomplished, as you aforementioned, after the Battle of Crestfall, and the quickness of how the campaign goes straight to Blackrock Spire after that map would imply that another major force (probably a combination of armies from different nations) was engaged in retaking the rest of the Azeroth continent. The thing is that it would go exactly like Warcraft 1 unfolded(with different locations and fronts, of course, but substantially identical), so it would just be a rewashing. Worth of an effort, for sure, but that's not what I'd like to plan at the moment. ;)
Thank you for your interesting suggestions and your great feedback!ā¤ļø

Level 20
I believe the Elven Lumber Mill is bugged. As far the 3rd Human Campaign goes. This is confirmed on Warcraft 3 Reforged.
šŸ‘‡
i build the lumber mill no matter what the wood count stay at 25 would not increase. this was in act 1 mission 3
šŸ‘‡
Try to use the foretold game version, which you can still get from my user signature.
šŸ‘‡
yep that fix it i was just using to new of a version for it.
šŸ‘‡
recomended.png

Level 28
I believe the Elven Lumber Mill is bugged. As far the 3rd Human Campaign goes. This is confirmed on Warcraft 3 Reforged.
Don't use the Reforged, even though this latest patch had brought the CC back.
I heard that some campaigns don't work on Reforged, even with the new graphics. Campaigns made by Turnro (including the new update of Malfurion's Quest) might receive an update to be playable on Reforged, but he stated that they are only playable in legacy graphics when the update came out.
For this campaign (including Orc counterpart), the author recommends 1.28, which is the best way to play it. 1.29-1.31 are prone for numerous bugs.

Level 2
Don't use the Reforged, even though this latest patch had brought the CC back.
I heard that some campaigns don't work on Reforged, even with the new graphics. Campaigns made by Turnro (including the new update of Malfurion's Quest) might receive an update to be playable on Reforged, but he stated that they are only playable in legacy graphics when the update came out.
For this campaign (including Orc counterpart), the author recommends 1.28, which is the best way to play it. 1.29-1.31 are prone for numerous bugs.
It is impossible to get the classic at this moment. Otherwise, I would've not bought reforged.

Level 2
'course you can, but you need to thoroughly scour through the web to find it.
I know, but it is a hassle to go through that length just to get a working mod. Especially with "lost" CD keys. That is why I had decided to get Reforged. I know Reforged is still terrible to this day. But there's hardly any choice for the matter. Since most players who had played it years ago then fall off from it to new players who just wanted a simplistic way of obtaining said game and play it.

Level 16
It is impossible to get the classic at this moment. Otherwise, I would've not bought reforged.
I know, but it is a hassle to go through that length just to get a working mod. Especially with "lost" CD keys. That is why I had decided to get Reforged. I know Reforged is still terrible to this day. But there's hardly any choice for the matter. Since most players who had played it years ago then fall off from it to new players who just wanted a simplistic way of obtaining said game and play it.
Bro that's crazy!!!

If you wish to play my projects, you'll need version 1.28f(1.28.5.7680) of warcraft 3. You can get it it here:
Just unpack it and make sure you paste it in a separate folder(as well as in a separate partition if possible), then run it as it is. Install the ProfileFix tool in case you have any problems with player's profiles not being saved after every run.
1.15 GB file on MEGA
SP Profile fix for 1.28

it took me so far in the dark web to find this!

Level 4
So, I've played through the orc campaign and halfway through the human campaign, and I'm really liking the enhancements so far. Although, regrettably, there were some levels in the orc campaign that I just could not get through without cheating. Like, when attacking Dalaran, by the time I destroyed their castle, I'd blown through two gold mines with only 1800 gold left, and theirs only had a measly 2460 left, so I couldn't build enough reinforcements to finish the job. There were other times when I'd managed to destroy the enemy base, but found a HUGE horde of enemy troops all gathered in one area, and would never have been able to take them without the god mode cheat.

The human campaign has, so far, been much easier. Though I did have that "HUGE horde of enemy troops" problem once, in the Dun Algaz level. That's the only time I've had to cheat so far. Also, while I'm glad to see Turalyon show up, I'm a little disappointed that Alleria doesn't also appear. (Having watched Jay's playthrough beforehand.)

Level 20
So, I've played through the orc campaign and halfway through the human campaign, and I'm really liking the enhancements so far. Although, regrettably, there were some levels in the orc campaign that I just could not get through without cheating. Like, when attacking Dalaran, by the time I destroyed their castle, I'd blown through two gold mines with only 1800 gold left, and theirs only had a measly 2460 left, so I couldn't build enough reinforcements to finish the job. There were other times when I'd managed to destroy the enemy base, but found a HUGE horde of enemy troops all gathered in one area, and would never have been able to take them without the god mode cheat.

The human campaign has, so far, been much easier. Though I did have that "HUGE horde of enemy troops" problem once, in the Dun Algaz level. That's the only time I've had to cheat so far. Also, while I'm glad to see Turalyon show up, I'm a little disappointed that Alleria doesn't also appear. (Having watched Jay's playthrough beforehand.)
"huge horde of enemy troops" sounds like a clogged cluster of attack party not attacking due to some sort of script error. Are you playing the correct version of the campaign, which is 1.28 or lower?

Level 4
Oh well, at any rate, I was able to finish the rest of the campaign without using any cheats. Some levels were pretty tough though, and I had to get creative, to strip the enemy of their ability to strike at my base. Blackrock Spire, for instance, required me to get a squad of water dragons up as quickly as I could, and use them to waste the temple of the damned ASAP.

Also, I thought the Azeroth faction sucked at first, but quickly changed my tune when I found them to be the only one with clerics, and destroyers that could spot giant turtles. It was also nice not to have to upgrade my town hall, just to be able to build certain structures.

Level 21
Incredibly accurate recreation of WC2. Some unit soundsets were not included (file size related possibly?). Otherwise this feels like WC2.

The gold income returns are 6 instead of 10 to emulate the return rate of the original without having to recreate the time it takes for workers going into the town hall to deliver the payload. This likely meddles slightly with income, but I can't imagine it is hugely substantial.

Some technical details like the gold returns are slightly modified to spare the creator from having to painfully recreate a system needlessly. I'd urge purists to not focus on them because they really do not matter when the end experience is very much WC2 and that is the important part. The only thing that directly impacted gameplay for me were buildable shorelines being finicky at times.

I quite enjoyed the Enhanced mode, an entirely optional addition with all the custom factions. The power differential between some factions compared to others is quite large, but I still prefer the diversity over the original. Some added sections are a bit dicey like the stealth start and Zul'jin holdout, but use quicksaves and it's fine.

Overall an admirable effort that accomplishes what it sets out to do, while also adding an entirely extra mode with new ways to play and faction lore fidelity. I'll be copy/pasting this review on the Orc project page also so that I can rate it.

Level 20
Incredibly accurate recreation of WC2. Some unit soundsets were not included (file size related possibly?). Otherwise this feels like WC2.

The gold income returns are 6 instead of 10 to emulate the return rate of the original without having to recreate the time it takes for workers going into the town hall to deliver the payload. This likely meddles slightly with income, but I can't imagine it is hugely substantial.

Some technical details like the gold returns are slightly modified to spare the creator from having to painfully recreate a system needlessly. I'd urge purists to not focus on them because they really do not matter when the end experience is very much WC2 and that is the important part. The only thing that directly impacted gameplay for me were buildable shorelines being finicky at times.

I quite enjoyed the Enhanced mode, an entirely optional addition with all the custom factions. The power differential between some factions compared to others is quite large, but I still prefer the diversity over the original. Some added sections are a bit dicey like the stealth start and Zul'jin holdout, but use quicksaves and it's fine.

Overall an admirable effort that accomplishes what it sets out to do, while also adding an entirely extra mode with new ways to play and faction lore fidelity. I'll be copy/pasting this review on the Orc project page also so that I can rate it.
Thank you so much for your feedback and even more for your "delightful to watch" playthrough, Jay!
Watching you play and hearing your insights and comments gave me ideas on how to further improve the gameplay, which is something I shall also carry over to the next remake installments(also looking forward to watching you play them!)!
All the best for the foreseeable future!

Level 28
Nice but there is a bug after i build the Elven Lumber Mill then my lumber will not count any more what i harvest.
I play this campaign in reforged
Reforged has a lot of issues when it comes to the custom campaigns. Some of them might work, but others might not.
For this case, the author suggest you to play on 1.28.5 if you want to enjoy this campaign without issues.

Level 1
lumber is bugged. once I build elven lumber mills I cannot gather wood. workers are cutting trees and returing to drop point but amount of wood is not increasing

Level 28
lumber is bugged. once I build elven lumber mills I cannot gather wood. workers are cutting trees and returing to drop point but amount of wood is not increasing
Check your game version before playing this campaign. There was so many comments regarding this matter. I don't really remember which version you need to have in order for your Lumber Mill to work (same thing for the Orc campaign, where the Lumber Mill gets bugged), since I don't really enjoyed the custom campaigns, but there is a solution. Scroll up the comments and look for solution.

Level 1
Hey so I am running it on version 1.28.5 now. Is there a way to zoom out more?

Compared to reforge I was able to zoom out so far but now I cant with this version.

Level 20
Hey so I am running it on version 1.28.5 now. Is there a way to zoom out more?

Compared to reforge I was able to zoom out so far but now I cant with this version.
It is not possible. The default pre-forged camera was way closer, so I had to lock it farther through script. Try typing -camera while playing. That should reset it to default height, although it is not advised to play the game beyond v1.28, so it's kinda pointless.

Level 2
I am thrilled to have discovered such unique campaigns on the hive platform. Your project has allowed me to rediscover Warcraft 2 in a whole new light. I'm truly impressed by the work you've put into it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Beyond Dark Portal remake.

Is it possible for you to create some custom battle maps? I would be delighted if I could try out human and orc subfactions in multiplayer battles with my friends.

Level 20
I am thrilled to have discovered such unique campaigns on the hive platform. Your project has allowed me to rediscover Warcraft 2 in a whole new light. I'm truly impressed by the work you've put into it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Beyond Dark Portal remake.

Is it possible for you to create some custom battle maps? I would be delighted if I could try out human and orc subfactions in multiplayer battles with my friends.
Hey, thank you for your feedback!
It would be possible to create custom melee maps with the subfactions, yes, but I lack the knowledge of how to do it and on top of that, both campaigns have slightly different editor data stats for opposing factions so there would still be a considerable amount of time to spend with it, which atm I seriously need!

Level 28
got some one else the "Lumbermil" recource-bug?
after build the Lumbermill hervest Wood didnt count
Lumber Mill Bug sounds like it's related to your game version. Read the previous comments regarding this issue. You will most likely need Classic Warcraft III (original author suggests 1.28.5).

Level 28
Hi everyone, where should i copy the downloaded file and wich version of the game should i have ?
For the game version, this campaign is compatible with 1.24-1.28, but the author suggested 1.28.5 if you want to play this campaign without issues. If you use the higher versions, even the Reforged, you might run into big issues (Eg. Lumber count won't increase on certain missions).
However, getting any older versions of WC3 requires a CD-Keys. You can download any versions of older WC3 here: WC3 Download Archive
For installing the campaigns, simply put the w3n in "Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns" (if you have 1.28.5).