1. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Wc3 models

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chaosy, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In the sense of an objectively good model, I think it does matter.

Maybe this is contest exclusive criteria, but IMO it should matter.

Especially in cinematics which is my main interest in wc3 modding.
    Doing closeup shots in wc3 generally hurts my eyes.
    I invite you to find me a WoW cinematic/cutscene with clipping or low poly parts.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  2. Drake

Drake

Resources:
    Resources:
    When you see it.
    [​IMG]

3. Arowanna

Arowanna

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you're looking for clean models and you want to focus on theatrics, games in general is a poor choice. Game models are not built for movies, but functionality and optimization. Of course, they can still look good, but they'll usually only look good for their intended purpose.

There's a great deal of cheating in animated movies as well (look at BlizzCon, Diablo 3, where they explain the creation of cinematics, for example), but the models are built for that purpose alone, not to function in a game and in a movie at the same time (just look at how jarring Dragon Age: Origins cinematics are, for example).

These two subjects are vastly different and comparing them is not very productive, as they aim to achieve two completely different goals.

I understand that one might think that one could craft a model for both intended goals. But in general, this is just pouring time down the drain. I.e. a complete waste.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Interesting, never done the quest chain as my warr is 80.
    Thanks for the laugh though

5. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    We aren't making models for huge cinematic productions. We're making them to fit in a game with a laughably easy style to match. As someone who actually makes their own models, animations and all, it takes time. It takes effort. People that learn how to make models here either do so out of convenience, or to figure out the basics. They're not often looking to get better, they just need results. You can't hold them to some idiotic standard and expect that to do anything.

Besides that, I actually want to see more people learn and improve, maybe contribute their own resources to the Hive. If you want to see models of a certain quality put out, you're going to have to make them yourself.