Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

WarCraft: The Movie

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by The_wand_mirror, Jan 18, 2007.

1. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Full TV animation work uses an optimized production pipeline. It helps easily remain in total control of the creative process. Plus, the viewer has far less issues with suspension of disbelief imho; and the Warcraft universe may often challenge it, high fantasy or not...

Only problem is, TV animation can not appeal to as wide a demographic audience as a live-action motion picture.

Hehe, I precisely had it in mind. Nice balance between technique, aesthetics/visuals and production costs (like the CGI TMNT TV series too btw).

I think he said he liked it.

As for me, I felt each episode of this CGI TV series was way too much action-packed. It had far too little room for character development/empathy with. Therefore, I quickly felt overwhelmed/bored, and lost interest. In any story, one has to be able to relate to characters first. Warcraft heavily relies on very unique, larger-than-life characters/heroes with strong motives and passions.

2. Tauer

Tauer

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I'm aware, I was simply expressing shock at the idea that liking the show is an unpopular opinion ;)

I don't think all the episodes of TCW were too action-packed at all. In the beginning, for sure. But those story arcs in the last couple of seasons, there were some pretty powerful character development there. I can't believe anybody wouldn't be able to relate to Ahsoka towards the end of that show.

Anyway, a Warcraft animated series could actually work, simply because the art style would be quite fitting and it's something Blizzard could afford without blowing their whole budget. A GoT style series would simply be too expensive.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  3. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I 100% agree.

4. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 4K UHD, Blu-ray, 3D, DVD and Digital Release Date and Details - TheHDRoom

Summary:
    - September 13th: Digital HD format release
    - September 27th: 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD releases

Blu-ray exclusive bonus features:
    • Warcraft: Bonds of Brotherhood Motion Comic: seemingly an interactive one, revolving around Prince Llane, Captain Lothar and Guardian Medivh.
    • The World of Warcraft on Film: a five-part documentary focused on actors, VFX, stunts, motion capture...
    • Madame Tussauds’ Featurette: the making of the Warcraft wax figures by Madame Tussauds.
    • Warcraft Teaser: the one which premiered at San Diego Comic-Con in 2013.
    Shared extras between Blu-ray and DVD:
    • Deleted Scenes (read Duncan Jone's tweet)
    • Gag Reel
    • Origin Story
    • The Fandom of Warcraft
    • ILM: Behind the Magic of Warcraft.

More about Bonds of Brotherhood:
    http://blizzardwatch.com/2016/06/10/warcraft-bonds-brotherhood-expands-movie-universe/
    "Written by Chris Metzen and Paul Cornell, the graphic novel is set way back before the events presented in the film and tells the story of how Llane became King"

5. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Shame, I wanted an extended cut. Guess those deleted scenes will have to be implemented by fans. :(

6. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looking forward to it. But do not expect all of them to be completed, CGI / VFX wise.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  7. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I hope this is a bad joke.

To the Warcraft Movie: Weak
    I did not like the style with the actors + cosplay tier costumes.
    I was missing atmosphere, good characters, good story and epic battles.
    Only good scene was the Orc Warlock draining out the soul of the human.
    Better rewatch the wc3 cinematics.

8. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks like we have something to disagree on. I liked Warcraft Movie and I liked Star Wars prequels. :)

9. The_wand_mirror

The_wand_mirror

Resources:
    Resources:
    Finally saw it, it was okay. Maybe they finaly did it and make a good game based film (despite all the retarded critics etc.)

The graphics (cgi) looked really good, the orcs look a lot bigger than in warcraft 3.

I didn't really know much about the warcraft 1 story, there were parts that were really cool and some that were less so.
    I still feel like some scenes were kind of rushed, yet the movie is still 2 hours long, maybe they should've take another 30 minutes to add a little more depth to it.
    Well obviously there is a lot of lore, but I mean from the perspective of a newcomer they might have to elaborate on some things a little more.

I still feel like they would've been better of making a movie of the Warcraft 3 Human Campaign (primarily about Arthas etc.), something with the undead/burning legion.

But overall I am quite content on how it turned out. But I think you do need to be a fan (and maybe a little biased) to appreciate the work they put in.

(And yeah I was lurking and remembered I made this thread =p)

10. RoC / TFT both deserve a movie!

11. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They eventually will, after Warcraft 2 if it ever happens. Based on the success of the first movie we will get follow-ups.

12. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Enjoy :wink:

** update **

According to The Independent:
    Warcraft set to lose studio huge amounts of money despite China success

Quoting:
    "Plans for a sequel are now looking less likely, and if a follow-up film does happen, chances are it will be geared towards the Chinese market rather than American."

Please see also:
    Warcraft (2016) - International Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Isn't it kind of late for the Warcraft movie trailer? The film launched for some time now.

14. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
  15. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  16. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Only a few days late for that other reminder. :wink: This is the US and Canada release, btw.
    Physical editions of Warcraft: the Beginning will be available on October 10 in the UK.

Select physical editions allow to unlock a hero in two Blizzard games:
    - Medivh in Hearthstone
    - Gul'dan in Heroes of the Storm

A digital copy of WoW (with 30 days of game time) is also included in these select editions.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The Rise of the Shadow Council
    Like an elemental force of havoc and destruction we thundered through the lands of the Draenei
    devastating all that we beheld. Not one life was spared. No building was left standing. The only
    traces of their existence were the blood-soaked fields they had worked for nearly five thousand years
    and the rank, acrid smell of the huge victory fires that consumed the bodies of their young. The
    Draenei were a weak people - hardly worth the effort of our raiding sweep. In the end, however, even
    these simple victories serve to keep the inferior in their place…
    Though I remained with my people
    on the dark, red world of the Draenei, I soon learned to project myself into the depths of the Twisting
    Nether, being driven nearly mad by the whispering chaos contained therein.
    The Mastery of Forces - Medivh and Blackhand
    Things were well within the Horde. Though the Shadow Council kept the warring clans pacified by the
    promise of escape from the dying world, I knew that this new order - much like the war against the
    Draenei - would provide only a brief respite if I could not find new lands for the Orcs to conquer.
    The agents of the Shadow Council reported that the denizens of this world were called Humans, and
    their lands were known as Azeroth. We found that these Humans were a weak race, farming their
    fields and living peacefully in the countryside. I feared that they would prove no more of a challenge
    than the Draenei, and would not appease the hunger of the Orcish war machine for long. The clan
    chieftains, quickly swayed by their lust for blood and war, agreed that it was time to leave this dying
    world and lay claim to the domains of Azeroth.

Excerpts taken from Warcraft II manual.
    The second one kind of implies the planet was called after that race, eh, even maybe that the race originated there?
    Just sayin'.

By all means, Warcraft II. They're very much like humans in what their size is concerned.

It is not. However, the fact that Lothar had to kill Blackhand instead of Doomhammer...

Sargeras
    From the Warcraft III manual.

Warcraft II by the way. Eff the books.
    But make no mistake:

Beyond the Dark Portal (Warcraft II expansion) shows Khadgar as a bit consumed. Either because war on the dying and foul magicked world of Draenor and/or because of the Skull of Gul'dan and the Book of Medivh. We will never know for sure unless... WoW and whatever else after WcIII.
    Their absence would have raised many questions like: "where were they during the time the humans fought the orcs in the first war?"
    One of my concerns, yes. They decided using Lothar as if he didn't have enough meaning to the story.
    A bit controversial but it still happens nowadays. Most people look away. The weird thing was that a human was more prone to be honoured than Durotan. Of course, probably it came like such a shock to the orcs but still, all of them went against Gul'dan's will and listened to the background noise of Garona who was trying to tell Lothar she still loved him and that she didn't betray the humans?

Me too. It's commendable. Why should the Farce Awakens get way more credit than Warcraft?

Well if you mean the first two Warcraft games, maybe let's say even the third, yes but WoW is kind of another story. I wasn't particularly annoyed by that nitpick. However, Garona...
    That's just a stereotype. Medivh looked quite fit in RoC.

He has strong hands and quite wide and straightened shoulders. It's not just the costume. Moreover, you've seen him in the film as doing other stuff than reading books. He also does hand labour. That means he shouldn't necessarily be skinny as you imply.

Who said it should be one movie? Why not make a movie for each Warcraft III campaign or something?

Garona Halforcen
    Taken from the Warcraft: Orcs & Human manual. Doesn't look like a Draenei.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to share a few of my thoughts:
    http://eu.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/10878387908?page=9#post-180
    Warcraft was better than the Farce Awakens. If I gave F.A. a 7.5, now I'll reduce it to 6 and give Warcraft a 7.

-first off, the orcs... they are humongous. They even throw horses... They were never that big in the game. They also had problems dealing with horses in their first encounters and were even scared by them
    -it was interesting how they made the orcs come in; first through the Twisting Nether as a small group and then through a built portal. I didn't think Gul'dan alone was convincing using an instant spell to open the portal. I know he didn't know that Medivh was actually doing most of the job but a council of channeling warlocks or necrolytes, whatever, would've been believable even to the orcs
    -It starts with a weird line that says that ever since the world was known there was a conflict with the orcs which is quite untrue and proved afterwards
    -Gryphons were a normal thing in Stormwind; not until Warcraft II maybe...
    -Medivh's sleep is not mentioned and neither is the fact that he was possessed by the essence of Sargeras. Nonfans might see his transformation strange and could draw erred conclusions
    -the weird dark and black cube that probably Aegwynn was in, is just without actual explanation. Aegwynn's discussion with Khadgar should've emphasized on Medivh and his corruption. Another odd thing was the light comes from the dark and the dark comes from light...
    -Garona looked too human. Supposedly she was half-orc, half-draenei. The problem was she spoke the human language too well, too soon while other orcs did not at all
    -orcs riding horses like they did it for so long; riding a wolf doesn't mean you can ride a horse as well
    -giggling orcs sometimes look like humans
    -the Fel... what's with that? That kills the demon blood storyline
    -Gul'dan is a Shang Tsung Yoda. He was skilled in martial arts which is quite... unbelievable for a magic book worm. How/why was he able to cast instant spells so often while Medivh and Khadgar needed such a long channeling sequence?
    -Medivh's mana pool. That was interesting in some way
    -Durotan's death is better this way; it had purpose but Draka just dolphined out of the river... (as seen with the white leader orc from the Hobbit). The problem is, that the orcs were quickly scared by Gul'dan when Orgrim said something to him about honour but the orcs had no more problems when a human (Anduin) was leaving victorious after killing Blackhand (well, Orgrim wouldn't have hurt like in the original; honestly Orgrim had no real role in this movie; he'll probably have in the next one, if there's going to be one). And no, the half-breed Garona wasn't in any position of saying something impressive for the orcs to listen. She was not even Gul'dan's lover from what we understood. At least they kept the Llane being killed by her
    -Lothar didn't have a son (story). That's not a problem. He is younger than in the game. That's not a problem either
    -smart how they introduced the elves and the dwarves out of the war (there weren't any in the first game even in lore)
    -bad move with the lame pistols in terms of... not deviating from the original (guns were not present until Warcraft III); humans used crossbows;
    -no mention about the demon corruption of Gul'dan and stuff; maybe next time? Surely that would have been better placed as the intro instead of that useless duel between a human and an orc
    -blood is scarce and gore absent. That doesn't make it look like real war

-the acting, well, some orcs were just humans apart from Gul'dan, Orgrim, Blackhand and Durotan. Khadgar was really boring, just sounded like an American kid. Ben Foster did a good job as Medivh. I really had expectations and they weren't dismissed. Lothar was well acted but won't mention the same for Garona. Draka was a better orc than her. Llane was, well, OK

-the music.... oh yeah the music... that's why I won't give it a 0.5 or 1 point bonus; they should've used music from the games instead... yeah there are some brief reminders of that but... otherwise it's just music not to be remembered

Suggestions for next BlizzEnt movies:
    -have composers from the games do the music or at least people that know what they're doing. The music for A Game of Thrones isn't something to sing/play either except for the main theme
    -do not leave too much in the clouds because that sort of mystery creates unnecessary questions and kills audience. Explain things even with a few scenes or words
    -change as little as possible from the original story, mostly only things that make the least sense
    -make battles and deaths look real. Otherwise it feels like watching a cartoon for kids

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The Honest Trailer is out:

... and they went surprisingly easy on Warcraft, considering how bad the critics were. Then again, this movie is a nerd-fest and ScreenJunkies is pro-nerd, so maybe that was to be expected.
    Also, they dragged MatPat into this.

And now that I hear the original voices of these actors, no wonder the movie failed so hard in the US. The german voice-actors did their best at damage control.

19. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Facing abominations and reading the wrong book, might make a fictional character instantly grow some white hair:

evil-dead-ii-grey.jpg evil-dead-ii-demon-food.jpg

Evil Dead II - Ash Supercut - Might be far too intense for some viewers

The Warcraft movie aimed for a PG-13 rating, in order to also target young teenagers.
    Going for an R rating for the theatrical release, would have meant losing money.
    Warcraft (2016) - Parents Guide

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  20. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's just garbage for me to watch anything but in the original language it was made in.