• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft: The Beginning (Patch 1.31) WIP

Introduction
Hello there! After much doubt and torment I finally decided to share my little hobby project with the community.

It has already been under development for about 4 or 5 years considering my longtime breaks from time to time.
In the beginning this whole project was heavily... 'inspired' by well-known WarCraft movie. My idea was to tell the story of the first two wars between the Orcs and Humans but in it's canon way, the way it existed in WarCraft lore according to various books and games existing. I still know no campaigns which could tell this story in a modern way (I mean, WarCraft III way).

Then Chronicles Vol.2 released and the idea turned into something new. To merge and combine existing sources into a compiled story which will take the best from all of them. The movie had great scenes but was... let's be honest, pretty bad in general. Let's take these scenes then! The books have good dialogs - let's use them! That is what my project realy is, a compilation to tell the story to those who already know it and to those who might not know it yet.

• october 17 2021
    • Added two new chapters
    • Multiple bug fixes
    • Alchemy system for Khadgar chapters
    • New side quest in chapter 4
    • New assets

If you encounter any bug, let me know.

P.S. If you see some of your content (model/texture/icon) used without credit - let me know and I will give it. This campaign was not meant to be published for a long time and I don't realy remember all the authors, sorry.

Previews
Contents

WarCraft: The Beginning WIP (Campaign)

Reviews
Amazing. While this isn't almost finished (any campaign can always be updated to prolong the story), it offers enough missions to play. It has good quality and I really love how much work you've put into it. Approved! PS: It would be nice to post...
Level 9
Can you add Gameplay photos?

Would be nice and give people a more immediate understanding the type of campaign this is.

Level 2
Could you add guldan voice acting from the movie to the First Interlude "Exodus of the Horde" That would be amazing

Last edited:
Level 10
In Chapter 1 how do you get past the warlocks?
You mean 'The Lonely Tower', right? Warlocks? Black Riders maybe (Nazguls in the sewer)? Tell me more details please, what quests you've done already and what items do you have? Better reply to direct so we won't spoil the solution to the others)

Great! Looking forwarf to its completion.
WOW, thanks! It means much to me as I was inspired by your campaigns as well (The Last Guardian especially, Chapter 1 is a big ammage to your point and click gameplay).

Level 10
I really love your design of interior Karazhan. The rooms look fantastic. Models and textures work very well.

I also like your approach of having a single linear canonical story that switches perspectives between orcs and humans as opposed to the usual direct remakes of separated WC1 campaigns.

Thanks a lot. Karazhan took about a month or two to build and I am truly glad it pays off.

Level 28
I've played the first chapter. Some points for improvements:
- The introductio text before the first cinematic is too long. If possible, replace it completely with cutscenes that show stuff. The final chapter of Rise of the Horde might give the right inspiration.
- Some cinematics could need more camera angles/movement and unit movement. e.g. When Durotan is talking to Blackhand in the area, cut down to him more often and have Durotan move a bit towards Blackhand.

- I think the initial base building tutorial is not useful. I'm pretty sure 100% of all people who play this campaign will know the basics of WC3 and no refresher is necessary.
- The step-by-step introduction of each quest requirement and tech shouldn't be like this. Instead, it should be clear from the beginning which tech can be built. Simply two objectives to train 5 Grunts and research weapon upgrades should be enough. Let the players figure out the how and when.
- There should be a leaderboard to count the trained Grunts.
- It should be possible to train more than 5 Grunts (even if the arena fight only allows 5) just for the sake of not feeling restricted/tutorialized.

- There should be other stuff to do except for fighting. Probably un-Frostwolf-like but just a (unique) idea: What if some of your units start fighting each other on a regular basis? You just have to keep them apart; if they die you need to train 1 more Grunt.

- Make it possible to control Durotan and Draka while building up the base. Give them something useful to do. Players can take this time to become familiar with their abilities as the arena fight is a bit too hectic for that.

- Minimap looks way bigger than the actual map plays out. Remove unused areas and make map smaller.
- Make fallen units in the arena fight unselectable.

- I like the music. I like the dialogue and cinematics. I like the idea.

- I like the arena fight. You could add more "features" like enemies with special abilities or traps, but not necessary in my opinion.

Level 2
I have passed all chapters and its looks great. I cant wait for final version of this campaign! Good Job!!!!!!!

Level 10
HI,

I love sooo much this campaign good job man ;) i was said when i ended last mission :( ineeeed more plzzzzz :D

I have passed all chapters and its looks great. I cant wait for final version of this campaign! Good Job!!!!!!!

Thanks, lads! Work in progress and your feedback inspires to work harder)

Thank you for your detailed feedback. I'm partially agreed with what you mentioned but some things like this long opening titles in the beginning are part of my vision and were meant to slowly drag the player into the atmosphere.
What I already reworked based on your feedback is tutorial sequence (it was meant for my friends who were my first testers and, believe or not, were unfamiliar with RTS at all), leaderboard, restrictions, some camera work (in pre-arena cutscene), uselectable 'dead' units and playability of Durotan and Draka before the arena. There is definitely nothing to do for them and I don't want to add any 'synthetic' events out from nowhere to use them in. But it will allow the player to do exactly what you said: to become familiar with their abilities.
And the map was made this big for reason. It is partially completed Hellfire Citadel map to siege in Act III (if it will ever be released...).
So, thank you again. It will be truly great if you will play further and provide me with similar detailed feedback on the other missions.

Level 2
- The introductio text before the first cinematic is too long. If possible, replace it completely with cutscenes that show stuff. The final chapter of Rise of the Horde might give the right inspiration.
- Some cinematics could need more camera angles/movement and unit movement. e.g. When Durotan is talking to Blackhand in the area, cut down to him more often and have Durotan move a bit towards Blackhand.

- I think the initial base building tutorial is not useful. I'm pretty sure 100% of all people who play this campaign will know the basics of WC3 and no refresher is necessary.
- The step-by-step introduction of each quest requirement and tech shouldn't be like this. Instead, it should be clear from the beginning which tech can be built. Simply two objectives to train 5 Grunts and research weapon upgrades should be enough. Let the players figure out the how and when.
- There should be a leaderboard to count the trained Grunts.
- It should be possible to train more than 5 Grunts (even if the arena fight only allows 5) just for the sake of not feeling restricted/tutorialized.

- There should be other stuff to do except for fighting. Probably un-Frostwolf-like but just a (unique) idea: What if some of your units start fighting each other on a regular basis? You just have to keep them apart; if they die you need to train 1 more Grunt.

- Make it possible to control Durotan and Draka while building up the base. Give them something useful to do. Players can take this time to become familiar with their abilities as the arena fight is a bit too hectic for that.

- Minimap looks way bigger than the actual map plays out. Remove unused areas and make map smaller.
- Make fallen units in the arena fight unselectable.

- I like the music. I like the dialogue and cinematics. I like the idea.

- I like the arena fight. You could add more "features" like enemies with special abilities or traps, but not necessary in my opinion.
hi dear, how to pass the first chapter? i stuck in the second quest, please give me your advice!

Level 10
You mean the area fight? Just micro damaged units out of the way and use Garona's healing spell on them. Cast Durotan's wolf ability when he is out.
No, it is about Chapter One (The Lonely Tower). ice777 asked this exact question earlier. And yeah, it was Draka, not Garona)

hi dear, how to pass the first chapter? i stuck in the second quest, please give me your advice!
Hi, I started a conversation with you a few days earlier so we could discuss your problem without spoiling solution to the others. Did you receive my message? You have not replied yet)

Level 4
The only way I know so far is by installing War3 version 1.31 from unofficial sources. I'm afraid, that's it. At least until they return Custom Campaigns to Reforged (which I doubt they ever will)
hey there it was a great campaign, just want to ask when will the Second War will shown up ?

Level 4
Thank you. The Second War will not show up soon :( I still stuck with Act I and don't have much time since my work and studies...

Oh i understanf sir, so anychance the rest of ACT I will be came this november or December ? And i know its to early but just want to ask you, if later Second war campaign did happent, bis there be twoo choice in second war either win as Horde or Allience also a level where we battle Guldan in Broken Shore Island and after him inside the Tomb of Sargeras ?

Level 10
Oh i understanf sir, so anychance the rest of ACT I will be came this november or December ? And i know its to early but just want to ask you, if later Second war campaign did happent, bis there be twoo choice in second war either win as Horde or Allience also a level where we battle Guldan in Broken Shore Island and after him inside the Tomb of Sargeras ?
November or December - definitely no, sorry( There will be at least one map that can consume an entire month to balance everything. Act I might be finished Spring 2021. March or April, I suppose.
Speaking about your questions:
1) No, you won't be able to choose which faction win because the project itself is about telling the canonical story. Which means that the Horde wins the First Was, then Orgrim messes all up and loses the Second War (Yeah, I know he did what he did to protect his people from Gul'dan and demons but as the result he weakened the Horde greatly so the Second War became the desperate chase to survive rather then conquest).
2) Broken Shores - ayep. A fight against Stormreavers and Twilight Hammer outside the Tomb - definitely. Maybe a level inside the Tomb to chase Gul'dan and find his corpse in the end.

Level 4
November or December - definitely no, sorry( There will be at least one map that can consume an entire month to balance everything. Act I might be finished Spring 2021. March or April, I suppose.
Speaking about your questions:
1) No, you won't be able to choose which faction win because the project itself is about telling the canonical story. Which means that the Horde wins the First Was, then Orgrim messes all up and loses the Second War (Yeah, I know he did what he did to protect his people from Gul'dan and demons but as the result he weakened the Horde greatly so the Second War became the desperate chase to survive rather then conquest).
2) Broken Shores - ayep. A fight against Stormreavers and Twilight Hammer outside the Tomb - definitely. Maybe a level inside the Tomb to chase Gul'dan and find his corpse in the end.

Technicaly sir Orgim nearly succeed conquring Lordaeron with help from human allience of Altarec, but it was Guldan to be blame where he and Chogal took half of the Horde Forces for his own goal to take his price inside the Tomb of Sargeras, Kiljaden and Sargeras knew of this and punished Guldan by having him fall to their trap inside the tomb for costing the Horde victory of invasion.

Level 10
Technicaly sir Orgim nearly succeed conquring Lordaeron with help from human allience of Altarec, but it was Guldan to be blame where he and Chogal took half of the Horde Forces for his own goal to take his price inside the Tomb of Sargeras, Kiljaden and Sargeras knew of this and punished Guldan by having him fall to their trap inside the tomb for costing the Horde victory of invasion.
Too true, but the plan to conquer Lordaeron was itself a desperate attempt to break humans' resistance cause Orgrim doubted he could destroy them in open combat. According to Chronicles at least)

Level 4
Too true, but the plan to conquer Lordaeron was itself a desperate attempt to break humans' resistance cause Orgrim doubted he could destroy them in open combat. According to Chronicles at least)

You know i made a Warcraft story for the 2nd movie in my version, probly you are interested to made into campaign someday, anychance you have a twitter or a facebook so i can message you, if you are okay ?

Level 10
How is your work on this campaign going ?

Mission Six - 90% Complete
Mission Seven - Started Terraining.

The greatest problem is that I'm currently under traditional winter deadline. Both in studies and in job.

Few screenshots below.

Level 12
Hi Comradmaper, I've played through the Campaign and these are the things that I want you to add to the Campaign for each chapter:

Prologue》Establish base quest is a little bit time consuming because it takes time for the things that most of us know what they are and we learn those things before we even know what a custom campaign is, but for the story purpose, at least for that chapter make the buildings to be built faster, upgrades to be researched faster and units to be trained faster that way you can keep the hints, guides to how to build the base and everyone will be happy! By the way in the lore Drek'thar is a shaman (a blind shaman) not a warlock, if it is possible change the title of the Warlock to Shaman.

Interlude: Exodus of the Horde》it's good but add more draenei cages.

Chapter one: The lonely tower》the terrain is very well done but the map has so much unused space, if you could add more to it, it would be so good. The map lacks an optional quest, if you have the time and a good idea creat one or maybe two optional quests for this chapter and add a circle of power in front of the Alchemical set to make it easier to find, because for some players it's a hard time to figure out how to find it so if you do that it would be nice but if you want to keep it this way it is not a problem and by the way I've escaped with scroll and khadgar accepted the Apologies.

Chapter two: Setting in》you've made the design of the map so gooood and because the way that you've created the map it has so much potential. You can put(add) so much secret things in there, from secret items to secret cinematics or mini games and puzzles, it's the perfect map for optional quests or secrets frome the karazhan raids for the Burning Crusade and The Legion expansion from World of Warcraft because this map(Chapter) needs at least one or two(or more if you want) optional quests. Khadgar is slower than Moroes from the start but if you set the khadgar's speed equal to Moroes' speed and then decrease khadgar's speed by adding a debuff by the name of Exhaustion, tired, out of breath or something like that. Overall this is the best and my favourite chapter in the campaign....actually one of the best campaing chapters that I've ever played and I really like the background music it fits very well to this map. You have done a great job in this map and because of the way you've done it you can do much more.

Chapter three: The grand helmet》please make the AI of the grand helmet defenders better and if you want to do that don't make it too hard to defeat them because you know...I'm not a great player and like the other chapters if this one had a optional quest like find all the treasure chests or kill all the of the local bandits or renegade humans or something like these would be nice.

Chapter four: Raid on the Westfall》 make the AI of the human defenders a bit or more than a little bit stronger, this map has a nice optional quest but if you add one or two more with a good item or tomes as a reward for completing them. Quests like finding all crazed harvest golems or completing the main quest in 30 minutes.

Chapter five: the black morass》make the AI stronger but not too much.

Units and Items》Use and make some more custom items as reward for killing high level creeps and completing hard quests and as you know orcs of the frost wolf clan have brown skin instead of green so if you could find brown orc units for the frost wolf clan change them because they didn't drink from mannoroth's blood but if you couldn't it's not a big problem.

Overall you have done a great job and in my opinion everything else that I didn't talk about were prefect. Keep up the great work. I hope you have enough free time to Complete all the 3 acts. And I have question, at which point of your campaign Gul'dan will go to tomb of sargeras? Act 2 or 3?

EDIT: forget about this part==>By the way in the lore Drek'thar is a shaman (a blind shaman) not a warlock, if it is possible change the title of the Warlock to Shaman.

Last edited:
Level 28
...By the way in the lore Drek'thar is a shaman (a blind shaman) not a warlock, if it is possible change the title of the Warlock to Shaman....
I would like to point out that during that time, even the Frostwolf shamans had embraced warlock magic, especially Drek'Thar, until the entire clan was exiled from the Horde. See Rise of the Horde and Lord of the Clans for reference. (Drek'Thar)

Level 12
I would like to point out that during that time, even the Frostwolf shamans had embraced warlock magic, especially Drek'Thar, until the entire clan was exiled from the Horde. See Rise of the Horde and Lord of the Clans for reference. (Drek'Thar)
Oh! I didn't know about that part, thanks!

Last edited:
Level 10
Thanks for your feedback! I'll reply point by point)

Prologue》Is already shortened in tutorial part according to suggestions above.

Interlude: Exodus of the Horde》There is no place for them, I'm afraid) Adding more will require to rescale the whole scene which will make it impossible to take all necessary camera angles (like show the entire Portal in one shot). You cannot show large objects entirely because this damn black fog comes in)

Chapter one: The lonely tower》 No idea for side quests right now, but I'll consider it)

Chapter two: Setting in》The key 'feature' of this map is that it is going to be featured not once and not even twice. Or else I wouldn't spent THAT much time building it) So, there will be more stuff but the second chapter is too early for hints on BC or Legion. The player is supposed to consider Medivh and Karazhan strange abd half-mad but not daemonic yet.

Chapter three: The grand helmet》Accepted.

Chapter four: Raid on the Westfall》I've tested this one multiple times and the trouble with the stronger AI was that it formed an endless tide of footmen and archers. I'm not the great player myself)
Extra quests - I like this idea of crazed golems. Should think about possible outcome for the player...

Chapter five: the black morass》Accepted.

Units and Items》
Use and make some more custom items as reward for killing hig level creeps and completing hard quests
There will be more custom rewards with the plot going further. If I play all the cool new items from the start, the player will be harder to satisfy later.
as you know orcs of the frost wolf clan have brown skin instead of green so if you could find brown orc units for the frost wolf clan change them because they didn't drink from mannoroth's blood but if you couldn't it's not a big problem.
The thing is they WERE green in the original lore. It was not Mannoroth's blood what made orcs greenskinned, it was consentrated Fel energies around them. Or else Thrall should have been brown as well, because both his parents were intact by Mannoroth.

And I have question, at which point of your campaign Gul'dan will go to tomb of sargeras? Act 2 or 3?
Act 2, as well as all the events of the Second War.

by the way I've escaped with scroll and khadgar accepted the Apologies.
I didn't got it, sorry. What scroll and what apologies are you talking about?)

Level 10
any news about the campaign
Have been distracted from the campaign for a while because of real life stuff, sadly.

Here's the list of what is done:
  • Finished (not fully tested yet) another complex chapter in Karazhan.
  • Improved some previous chapters according to feedback (new side quests, few new items and improved cutscenes, some new models and visuals).
  • Implemented some 'lazy-made' yet functional alchemy system for Khadgar's 'point&click' missions (so you could search for ingredients and craft some potions with proper equipment anytime) - screenshots below.
  • Finished two districts of Stormwind for future chapters (some screenshots below too).

The plan is to build Stormwind then skip the programming part here and go to the next mission which is planned to be Dead Mines with Orgrim slaughtering ogres and Grizelda. To relax a bit from Khadgar's complex 'point&clicks' :)

Planning to update this demo after a chapter or two more are finished but full release is far ahead, I'm afraid.

Also I'll be glad to get some creative help with side quests for Karazhan and Stormwind)

Attachments

• Screenshot_98.png
    Screenshot_98.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_99.png
    Screenshot_99.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_100.png
    Screenshot_100.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 141
  • Screenshot_101.png
    Screenshot_101.png
    725.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Screenshot_102.png
    Screenshot_102.png
    919.5 KB · Views: 150
Level 28
Some tips for puzzles:
  • The lesson I learned with TLG Version 2 is to come up with interesting puzzles first and then build the levels around them. The levels do not look much like Karazhan/Stormwind, but they are decently filled with gameplay, each area serving its purpose and not so much walking.
  • Design each puzzle starting with its last step, not its first. Let's say, the last steps is your objective, to get through a door. To get through the door you need to find a key. To find a key you need to bribe someone. To bribe this person you need to find gold. To find gold you need to unlock a chest, and so on. This way you can add as many steps as you need, and both you and the player will alway be aware of what the ultimate goal is. Branching steps is also much easier this way. e.g. step 2 is to create a healing potion, step1a is to find ingredient a, and step1b is to find ingredient b.
  • Inspiration for side quests: Look at your source material and come up with meaningful objectives. Why is Khadgar there? What must he do? From there on you can just add "problems" in his path; simple ones like I mentioned before. Maybe Karazhan/Stormwind is very big and Khadgar needs to activate a way gate system. For that he needs various orbs of power. One orb must be bought; another orb must be found with clues; another orb must be fought for; etc.

Personally I would like to see this campaign focus more on the battles fought with Orgrim and Anduin, simply because The Last Guardian already exists as a campaign, but I understand that Khadgar and Medivh are hard to ignore when making a modern WC1 remake and for the sake of complete lore you would want them in there.

Level 10
Some tips for puzzles:
  • The lesson I learned with TLG Version 2 is to come up with interesting puzzles first and then build the levels around them. The levels do not look much like Karazhan/Stormwind, but they are decently filled with gameplay, each area serving its purpose and not so much walking.
  • Design each puzzle starting with its last step, not its first. Let's say, the last steps is your objective, to get through a door. To get through the door you need to find a key. To find a key you need to bribe someone. To bribe this person you need to find gold. To find gold you need to unlock a chest, and so on. This way you can add as many steps as you need, and both you and the player will alway be aware of what the ultimate goal is. Branching steps is also much easier this way. e.g. step 2 is to create a healing potion, step1a is to find ingredient a, and step1b is to find ingredient b.
  • Inspiration for side quests: Look at your source material and come up with meaningful objectives. Why is Khadgar there? What must he do? From there on you can just add "problems" in his path; simple ones like I mentioned before. Maybe Karazhan/Stormwind is very big and Khadgar needs to activate a way gate system. For that he needs various orbs of power. One orb must be bought; another orb must be found with clues; another orb must be fought for; etc.

Personally I would like to see this campaign focus more on the battles fought with Orgrim and Anduin, simply because The Last Guardian already exists as a campaign, but I understand that Khadgar and Medivh are hard to ignore when making a modern WC1 remake and for the sake of complete lore you would want them in there.
Thanks for the advise!

This campaign will actualy focus more on battles when the war escalates (which is after Stormwind chapter). Little spoiler (or a teaser), the second chapter in Karazhan is already filled with more battles using Khadgar's visions from the book)
I did't want to make another TLG campaign but had no idea how else I can implement Khadgar's part of the story (which is mostly seeing visions, sorting out and reading books and talking with Medivh/Lothar/Garona until the last few chapters). And so the simplified point&click was chosen. And that's why Karazhan was designed more like a dungeon than a puzzle map. To serve as a dungeon map later on.

Level 1
WoW's terrain fit WC3 perfectly! Every location looks perfectly! You've done a great job! Karazhan is mind blowing!

Level 7
Alright, this has me excited! Thanks for showing 1.31 some love and taking the best bits from the movie and working it in. :)

I only have one question -- will you be permitting people to use your assets for their own projects as well? Provided they give you credit, of course. There's a LOT of stuff in your screenshots alone that'd be perfect for machinima projects and the like.

Level 10
Alright, this has me excited! Thanks for showing 1.31 some love and taking the best bits from the movie and working it in. :)

I only have one question -- will you be permitting people to use your assets for their own projects as well? Provided they give you credit, of course. There's a LOT of stuff in your screenshots alone that'd be perfect for machinima projects and the like.
Thanks for your words)

I have no objection about someone else using my assets (with credits of course). So, if you want, just export it from the maps and feel free to use) One way or another, all the stuff will be shared with the community (if you are interested exactly in the parts which are currently on the screenshots only)
I just can hardly consider myself as a full-righted author because my assets are mostly edits of other authors' original models I've been accumulating for my previous projects over the years.

Last edited:
Level 7
No worries, man, I know how that is. :) I've been sitting on a machinima project for the past how many years now because I've been waiting for the right assets to turn up and I've been collecting everything I plan to use for it.

Seriously, though, this project is amazing and I love how you're working in stuff from the movie to the "official" lore. Right now though I have run across a bug -- the beginning mission, on Draenor, I need to train 5 grunts. I train 5 grunts but then the game never recognizes that I did it.

Level 10
No worries, man, I know how that is. :) I've been sitting on a machinima project for the past how many years now because I've been waiting for the right assets to turn up and I've been collecting everything I plan to use for it.

Seriously, though, this project is amazing and I love how you're working in stuff from the movie to the "official" lore. Right now though I have run across a bug -- the beginning mission, on Draenor, I need to train 5 grunts. I train 5 grunts but then the game never recognizes that I did it.
Hm, hard to say what went wrong. Could you provide me with more info about what you were doing the bug occured? I mean, almost everything you did so I can try to recreate the issue by myself and see what is the matter. Was there difference in your actions between the two runs where you had this bug and where you did not?