• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
read the posts above...

Just because we didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there.
Wouldn't a prince and the one of the most powerful Kirin Tor mages, member of the six, fight the invader to his death?
Wouldn't the watchers alert their leader that Tyrande Whisperwind, leader of the Night Elves, has broken into the Prison?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Wouldn't a prince and the one of the most powerful Kirin Tor mages, member of the six, fight the invader to his death?
Wouldn't the watchers alert their leader that Tyrande Whisperwind, leader of the Night Elves, has broken into the Prison?
If they'd all fight to the death, there'd be no WoW blood elves, or Kirin Tor, lol.
Invalid point. There's no logic into being suicidal. Medieval times weren't as Spartan times. Such courageous acts were less than in ancient times and did not stretch across whole nations.

It's debatable where Maiev was or what the character was doing. In TfT Maiev did not seem to give glimpses that Tyrande faced the warden directly.
Also, I don't remember exactly but do we have any evidence Maiev was even a warden back then?

Level 13
If they'd all fight to the death, there'd be no WoW blood elves, or Kirin Tor, lol.
Invalid point. There's no logic into being suicidal. Medieval times weren't as Spartan times. Such courageous acts were less than in ancient times and did not stretch across whole nations.

It's debatable where Maiev was or what the character was doing. In TfT Maiev did not seem to give glimpses that Tyrande faced the warden directly.
Also, I don't remember exactly but do we have any evidence Maiev was even a warden back then?
Who would want a coward prince as the next king?
Maiev became a Warden 10 000 years before warcraft 3.

Who would want a coward prince as a ruler?

Keal was in Dalaran during the scourge of Quel'Thalas. He then left Dalaran and traveled back to his homeland when the invasion of Dalaran occurred.

Why are we even debating this? It's all written in the wiki.

Level 13
Keal was in Dalaran during the scourge of Quel'Thalas. He then left Dalaran and traveled back to his homeland when the invasion of Dalaran occurred.

Why are we even debating this? It's all written in the wiki.
Cause it's an obvious retconn. And seeing some explanation in game would only benefit both story and gameplay.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Who would want a coward prince as the next king?
Coward? Last I remember Kael was the one to keep the remaining high elven survivors, alive and searching for magic.
When you realize you're losing, you don't fight because that's the honourable thing to do. Sometimes ensuring the survival of your people is the more honourable thing to do.
Ashkenazi were put into labour camps and whatnot. They didn't commit suicide or fight the Nazi to the death as the Sicarii did when they were sieged by the Romans.
I need to find that in Warcraft III material.
Keal was in Dalaran during the scourge of Quel'Thalas. He then left Dalaran and traveled back to his homeland when the invasion of Dalaran occured.
That's the silly explanation I don't quite buy :p It's not impossible but improbable.
With all the teleportation spells in the universe and/or flying mounts, it looks as if Kael walked to Silvermoon while Arthas finished the job in one day and then got to Dalaran with a whole undead army either on the sea, through air or under undead Sorceress Invisibility.

Level 13
Coward? Last I remember Kael was the one to keep the remaining high elven survivors, alive and searching for magic.
When you realize you're losing, you don't fight because that's the honourable thing to do. Sometimes ensuring the survival of your people is the more honourable thing to do.
Ashkenazi were put into labour camps and whatnot. They didn't commit suicide or fight the Nazi to the death as the Sicarii did when they were sieged by the Romans.
You know when their is an army in front of your city, ready to slaughter you, and you're a powerful mage that can blow up armies. And you do nothing, how would you call that?
I need to find that in Warcraft III material.
Maiev Shadowsong

Level 7
World of Warcraft has a serious problem since its beggining, which has increased over time. The main problem is that it's a limited format when it comes to storytelling. In Warcraft III we play and see the Heroes all the time. In WoW it is the opposite, we are nobody.

WoW wasted a lot of characters just to give us enemies to kill... for example, everyone remembers The Burning Crusade (12 years ago) as a good expansion but in terms of story it's a disaster. All the expansion story is told subtle between missions but it's not in a clear way. They completely wasted Kael'thas (more or less because it's not illogical what they did with him but it's a wasted character anyway); Lady Vash was treated even worse... We go to kill her and that's it.

Three of the main characters of TFT never met again (Illidan, Kael'thas and Lady Vash), never talked to each other... How many times do we see Illidan before assaulting The Black Temple? two? three? and only one of them is physically Illidan, the rest are "illusions".

As you can imagine this not only happens with main characters... Minor characters were also completely ignored:

- Nazgrel, who was supposed to be the Chief of Orgrimmar Forces and what does he do in WoW? He was in Thrallmar doing nothing.

- Rokhan, did nothing important and had no dialogues until Battle For Azeroth.

The story doesn't develop as it should, disappoints to see unsatisfactory conclusions. Why do you think they brought Illidan back in Legion? Because nobody liked what they did with to him in TBC, therefore they had to rewrite his entire story. If you remember, in Classic, Malfurion said at an event that Illidan was crazy because he remembered his defeat against Arthas again and again. All of this was changed in the novel and in Legion to make Illidan the good guy and that we were the bad ones.

Not to mention Wrath of the Lich King... Muradin said in Icecrown that he has a pending issue with Arthas and he doesn't appear until we finish Arthas... Where have you been damn dwarf?

That's the MMO problem, you have a legendary character like Muradin throwing you an epic speech and then he does nothing... it's disappointing.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
You know when their is an army in front of your city, ready to slaughter you, and you're a powerful mage that can blow up armies. And you do nothing, how would you call that?
Off-screen time.
Maiev Shadowsong
No, that's not from Warcraft III, only part. It's from external material.
In Warcraft III we play and see the Heroes all the time. In WoW it is the opposite, we are nobody.
In WoW, the players are the heroes but not the major or story characters.

World of Warcraft has a serious problem since its beggining, which has increased over time. The main problem is that it's a limited format when it comes to storytelling. In Warcraft III we play and see the Heroes all the time. In WoW it is the opposite, we are nobody.

WoW wasted a lot of characters just to give us enemies to kill... for example, everyone remembers The Burning Crusade (12 years ago) as a good expansion but in terms of story it's a disaster. All the expansion story is told subtle between missions but it's not in a clear way. They completely wasted Kael'thas (more or less because it's not illogical what they did with him but it's a wasted character anyway); Lady Vash was treated even worse... We go to kill her and that's it.

Three of the main characters of TFT never met again (Illidan, Kael'thas and Lady Vash), never talked to each other... How many times do we see Illidan before assaulting The Black Temple? two? three? and only one of them is physically Illidan, the rest are "illusions".

As you can imagine this not only happens with main characters... Minor characters were also completely ignored:

- Nazgrel, who was supposed to be the Chief of Orgrimmar Forces and what does he do in WoW? He was in Thrallmar doing nothing.

- Rokhan, did nothing important and had no dialogues until Battle For Azeroth.

The story doesn't develop as it should, disappoints to see unsatisfactory conclusions. Why do you think they brought Illidan back in Legion? Because nobody liked what they did with to him in TBC, therefore they had to rewrite his entire story. If you remember, in Classic, Malfurion said at an event that Illidan was crazy because he remembered his defeat against Arthas again and again. All of this was changed in the novel and in Legion to make Illidan the good guy and that we were the bad ones.

Not to mention Wrath of the Lich King... Muradin said in Icecrown that he has a pending issue with Arthas and he doesn't appear until we finish Arthas... Where have you been damn dwarf?

That's the MMO problem, you have a legendary character like Muradin throwing you an epic speech and then he does nothing... it's disappointing.

You are a man of culture like deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Semi-Good news guys. Apparently, according to this

yourarthasNews.png

Level 11
Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Apparently, maps changes will be retained, as will new music. The story, soundsets and the rest will most likely be original. Editor beta coming out soon, and all pre-purchers will get beta-access soon, as well.
I'd urge them to invest more time and money on campaign gameplay changes/addons (especially for the new characters: new spells or the like, voice lines, bit of cinematic time). Otherwise, these changes feel incomplete.

Level 11
I'd urge them to invest more time and money on campaign gameplay changes/addons (especially for the new characters: new spells or the like, voice lines, bit of cinematic time). Otherwise, these changes feel incomplete.
Personally, I only want expanded capabilities of Editor (TESH primarily, as well as sound-set, UI customization), and the updated graphics. Everything else, we can create ourselves. Want more WoW-like story? Make an alternate campaign. Want Wow-like maps? Make them. Blizzard only needs to give us a template with new graphics and new features to allow for more customization.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Personally, I only want expanded capabilities of Editor (TESH primarily, as well as sound-set, UI customization), and the updated graphics. Everything else, we can create ourselves. Want more WoW-like story? Make an alternate campaign. Want Wow-like maps? Make them. Blizzard only needs to give us a template with new graphics and new features to allow for more customization.
You're right. Let's hope they do indeed make the editor better and better but first they have to fix the current bugs and that means for Classic as well.

You are a man of culture like deepstrasz
e5715962bd7db1915dfad7c70f70849c.jpg

Level 8
As it seems to me now beta version of a reforged actually looks like an ALPHA version.
I mean I cannot even play it in multiplayer.
And got the same feedbacks from other people.
I mean the color spectrum really sucks, icons and portraits do the same. This are main problems. I guess everything else can be fixed easily.
But when I remember what they did with HoTs I better remain pesimistic.

They could ve done the same remaster as they did in Starcraft. Just adding more polygons and game lighting stuff... you know.

Level 14
Semi-Good news guys. Apparently, according to this

Reforged will not retcon Warcraft 3 story. Blizzard says it's because of user feedback. Possibly really because of delays. Whichever it is, seemingly the story will remain as is.

This means essentiallly we WONT be getting brand new campaign maps.

Considering their 2018 showcase was the vastly different. the culling and that this likely means we WONT see stuff like anasterian sunstrider in silvermoon.

I call this a huge downgrade and a game sold on lies in 2018

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Considering their 2018 showcase was the vastly different. the culling and that this likely means we WONT see stuff like anasterian sunstrider in silvermoon.
You'll probably see Anesterian as a model/skin to the Archmage in the last Quel'thalas map. But that won't make the gameplay different.

People seem really angry about this move on the official forums.

You'll probably see Anesterian as a model/skin to the Archmage in the last Quel'thalas map. But that won't make the gameplay different.

People seem really angry about this move on the official forums.

To be honest their anger pales before purists anger since last year, since 7 November 'Please don't retcon the lore with WoW' thread has been the top thread of the forums and has got the most likes.

I'm glad it's heard (even if I think it is just because they could not make it)

Level 11
This means essentiallly we WONT be getting brand new campaign maps.

I call this a huge downgrade and a game sold on lies in 2018
Why would you need Blizzard to provide you new campaign maps? Make them yourself. Change the story however you want. Create your "Anasterian" model, or ask for some good soul to make it for you.

I cannot speak for entire Hive/WarcraftIII community, but personally, I never wanted a redone campaign. Original Warcraft 3 campaign is amazing, the story is just right. The maps are well made, with all the Easter Eggs and other interesting stuff. I don't want that to be taken away. I just want it to be polished with new graphics. And more so - I want an upgraded Editor, that allows for more detailed customization of the game.

Level 20
Why would you need Blizzard to provide you new campaign maps? Make them yourself. Change the story however you want. Create your "Anasterian" model, or ask for some good soul to make it for you.
You can do that to some extent, sure, but... you won't get the original voice acting, you won't get that feeling that it's "the official campaign" and... let's be real - look at the Blizzcon 2018 demo cutscenes and tell me, do you really think that someone will do them at a similar scale and quality? I highly doubt it, it's just too much work for even the most skilled group of modders to handle.

That said, I get where you're coming from - I have no doubt that eventually people will make some cool models or icons or that some folks will craft amazing campaigns or apply amazing improvements to the classic ones. Sure. After all, we're getting an upgraded editor and a metric ton of new models. That's cool. But let's not fool ourselves - Blizzard capabilities are a lot bigger than what modders can do and there are things that we can only get if Blizzard are the ones doing them.

Level 11
You can do that to some extent, sure, but... you won't get the original voice acting, you won't get that feeling that it's "the official campaign" and... let's be real - look at the Blizzcon 2018 demo cutscenes and tell me, do you really think that someone will do them at a similar scale and quality? I highly doubt it, it's just too much work for even the most skilled group of modders to handle.

That said, I get where you're coming from - I have no doubt that eventually people will make some cool models or icons or that some folks will craft amazing campaigns or apply amazing improvements to the classic ones. Sure. After all, we're getting an upgraded editor and a metric ton of new models. That's cool. But let's not fool ourselves - Blizzard capabilities are a lot bigger than what modders can do and there are things that we can only get if Blizzard are the ones doing them.
I must disagree. Look at the models on this site. Some of them are just mind-blowing, not just reaching levels of professionally created models, but surpassing them. Blizzard employees are not some higher beings. They are people like us, they use same programs. Hell, many of us here have IT engineering/programming/graphics degrees and are working in those fields. Do not underestimate this community, my friend :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I never wanted a redone campaign. Original Warcraft 3 campaign is amazing, the story is just right. The maps are well made, with all the Easter Eggs and other interesting stuff. I don't want that to be taken away.
Chill, you have the Classic one. The idea wasn't to retcon the Reforged version. It was to connect it with WoW without retconning it but just to add stuff, bonus, goodies.
I must disagree. Look at the models on this site. Some of them are just mind-blowing, not just reaching levels of professionally created models, but surpassing them. Blizzard employees are not some higher beings. They are people like us, they use same programs. Hell, many of us here have IT engineering/programming/graphics degrees and are working in those fields. Do not underestimate this community, my friend
Show me how many, if any, campaigns have custom animations for their cutscenes.

Level 20
I must disagree. Look at the models on this site. Some of them are just mind-blowing, not just reaching levels of professionally created models, but surpassing them. Blizzard employees are not some higher beings. They are people like us, they use same programs. Hell, many of us here have IT engineering/programming/graphics degrees and are working in those fields. Do not underestimate this community, my friend :)
I'm not underestimating the community - as I've said, I absolutely believe that some folks will do really amazing stuff :)

The thing is - what "we" are doing here is just a hobby and some things require so much work that people would have to take them up as basically a second job. This is the limiting factor. For example, the cutscenes - do I think some people here would be capable of making something like that (or better)? Absolutely. Now, do I think that these people could add these cutscenes to literally every single campaign map? No, because that's just too much work.

That's what I've meant by "capabilities" - I don't doubt that some people here could match Blizzard's work in almost every regard, I just think expecting a fairly small group of people to do that in their free time as a hobby is a unrealistic :)

Level 14

I cannot speak for entire Hive/WarcraftIII community, but personally, I never wanted a redone campaign. Original Warcraft 3 campaign is amazing, the story is just right. The maps are well made, with all the Easter Eggs and other interesting stuff. I don't want that to be taken away. I just want it to be polished with new graphics. And more so - I want an upgraded Editor, that allows for more detailed customization of the game.

Uhhh because they sold reforge with the culling map as the teasee insisting they were going to redo maps aka brand new missions and make cutscenes like the cullings beta ones...

And then they didnt.

Its a bait and switch and its fucking boring

We get vanilla maps weve all beaten dozens of times now instead of new ones to play through.

But lets just excuse blizzsrd lying because you guys want the same map youve played 20 times instead of having a new iteration of the map and campaigns. Which would be equivalent to BRAND NEW campaigns since map design is what really matters. Who fucking cares about the script i skip that shit now ive heard it countless times.

Last edited:
Level 9
  • In-game benefits include rejoining in the event of disconnects.
  • Hundreds of new triggers, LUA support, new tools for importing models, and a slew of other enhancements are in the works.
I am a bit confused by these points.
1. Can someone point me the video or article where reconnection was promised?
2. Hundreds of new triggers? Maybe, hundreds of new options for trigger editor? But still, where 100+ new options were was promised? Hundreds - 200, 300 or even 400. It is an insane amount of new features.

I am asking these because this page is pointed as a source for russian Wikipedia and I am really surprised to see such promises.

UPD: removed the point about UI and mentioning Lua support in 1.31. Well, Reforged was announced in November 2018, 1.31 was launched on 31st May of 2019, so such points in the post from 3rd November 2018 are absolutely OK.
The remaining 2 points are still in force. If someone will point such promises, I will very appreciate it. I can still do it alone, but unfortunately I'm very busy to search for sources. At first I will look the attached videos.

Last edited:
Level 2
"Players who own the original Warcraft 3 will be able to play against those who own Warcraft 3: Reforged, and vice versa."
Do this mean I won't need to buy this pseudoWoW RTS if I already have Wc3?
no you can play with reforged players if you have original

Level 2

You know the thing is there would have been a way to benefit both sides. Put a switch in it for playing Classic campaign or Reforged campaign. I am realy realy dissapointed that they wont do the changes now. becouse lets be real, if i want to feel nostalgia over playing the original campaign that isnt redone i would just play the old version of the game again. They promiced an Reworked version of the campaign and now they give us only an remaster. Even the cutscenes wont be like in the Demo. And i understand that some dont want this changes to the campaign but some (like me) preordered the game to get exacly that! an reworked campaign that gives a new experience. and i was realy thinking about canceling my preorder becouse i dont see any benefit in playing the campaign again just in better graphs. again if i want that ill would rather take the old version than the new. the only thing that is keeping me from canceling it is honestly the fact that some of my favurite custom maps will get reforged upgrades like sunken city (highly recoment that map).

Level 14
Looking through editor... apparently Anasterian Sunstrider, Jenna (the ranger model) and Thalorien aka the Quel'Delar guy were removed?

I had just changed The Archmage to Anasterian a week ago in Archon Mode for Fall of Silvermoon.

Formated HDD, Redownloaded and.... ???? anyone else seeing this?

This sucks ballbags if so. it was a good model and like? Whats the point in not having it?
lacking elf models as is but have 23 diff Human Paladin models.

EDIT:

FOund him

Also apparently

Kelen the seeker is now a Elven Archmage With elvish garb and a circlet to match

Probably going to default reforge MANY campaigns like Saga of Azeroth and Legacy of the Master with reforged mobs.

One of the Human bald paladins with a sword makes a great Lothar.
Thrall has unmounted model.
Nazgrel will make a GREAT blackhand.
Deciever cultist PERFECT Teron Gorefiend Ect.
Stonemaul Ogre Mage will have to do for Cho'gall Distinct enough from the normal one

ALSO @OutsiderXE

YOOOOOO Sylvanas ALIVE or Jenna would make a PERFECT Veressa For Reforge. Maybe Normal Mountain King for Falstaad? He looks more like a ROM tho Ehh Ehh

Kelen the Seeker For Krasus.

Last edited:

Ardenaso

HD Model Reviewer
Level 32
Warcraft III: Reforged includes fully rebuilt models for every unit, building, and environment—all with distinguishing variations—as well as new animations, and high-fidelity music and sound to bring the original game into the modern era.
nope, no model for Sen'jin, nor the Sea Witch
All ingame cut-scenes and cinematics will be remastered.
Just cinematics
Generic units and portraits will get a unique look (e.g. Death Kinghts dont look like Arthas) too add more variety.
SIKE

Level 4
Is there any update on all the content creation/ ownership issues? I really hope to see a lot of the brilliant custom campaigns that were on Legacy WC3.

Status
Not open for further replies.