• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WarCraft III Reforged - Icon Template

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATED

Full tutorial now here:
[2D Art] - Full Icon Tutorial (Reforged) + ¨tool¨

As remarked by deepstrasz icons are saved in .DDS format.
No longer do we have to convert every single one into .blp

I suggest saving them with these settings (35-50 KB size, almost every pixel stays same as uncompressed):

upload_2020-2-12_9-52-17.png

However, you will have to manually enter the correct path in Object Editor.
For the World Editor cannot yet recognise .dds icons directly...

upload_2020-2-16_13-50-9.png

Here are all the types.
DISBTN consists of multiple layers, so to activate it simply enable the whole group.

upload_2020-1-31_20-45-54.png

Let's compare the preset (left) to an original (right):

upload_2020-1-30_17-0-11.png

Of course if there are any remarks or questions, post ahead!

Attachments

• IconLayerWC3R.psd
    1 MB · Views: 472
  • upload_2020-2-10_22-40-50.png
    upload_2020-2-10_22-40-50.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Updated, now have PASBTN to the best of my ability. Compared with some existing icons, won't be perfect, but both shadow reaches (100% and translucent) are on point.
Although I must note that not all PASBTN icons from WC3:R files have the same in shadow reach... must be the outsourcing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Any chance you can release these to work with Button Manager? If that's even possible.
If I even knew what that is =)

¨I haven't even figured out why DISBTN doesn't work (using old method with Warcraft 3 Viewer.exe).
How can BTN work, but DISBTN not... naming is correct, file type identical... sigh.¨

UPDATE: All works now!

View attachment 346118

View attachment 346119

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
DISBTN is working for me, even with your borders. Are you sure you're renaming the path to "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\name.blp"? that's how I fixed it for myself.

As for .dds, I'm not sure - .blp is still working for me. With these borders, I've been applying them in photoshop, saving as .tga and converting with wc3Viewer and so far everything is working fine.

DISBTN is working for me, even with your borders. Are you sure you're renaming the path to "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\name.blp"? that's how I fixed it for myself.

As for .dds, I'm not sure - .blp is still working for me. With these borders, I've been applying them in photoshop, saving as .tga and converting with wc3Viewer and so far everything is working fine.
Holy shit, looks like I haven't done this in a while! ^^
A bit surprised BTN worked without "ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\name.blp".

So I made an icon with this. On the touchpad of my laptop lol.
Can I post this as a recource? Hive is not yet optimized for Reworked right?
Sure post your icon, there seems to be a Reforged section, yours might be the very first!

upload_2020-2-5_11-24-56.png

However I'm simply unsure what the folks have agreed upon:
- What size should be standard, 256x256 or 128x128?
- What file size is even acceptable? (it's not 2008 after all, yet still)

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hey @Moonman, can I put these borders into the upcoming icon generator of Hive 3?

Could you perhaps help me with one thing?

I need a Reforged version of the scorescreen icon:
upload_2020-10-8_8-10-59.png

Also. To simplify the creation of autocast icons I am blanking out the edges. I am doing it this way, but it might be a bit strong-handed. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it better? Perhaps a bit of a gradient to aid the yellow edges? It is because I want people to be able to upload an icon they already added a border to:
upload_2020-10-8_8-12-14.png

EDIT: After more consideration, perhaps it's the wrong approach to make it "work with any icon" by removing part of the icon so the ATC looks right. The black border would degrade a good source. It sets the bar lower than making the icons from scratch. It might be better to just expect the user to upload a source that isn't already bordered.

Last edited:
Hey @Moonman, can I put these borders into the upcoming icon generator of Hive 3?

Could you perhaps help me with one thing?

I need a Reforged version of the scorescreen icon:
View attachment 365699

Also. To simplify the creation of autocast icons I am blanking out the edges. I am doing it this way, but it might be a bit strong-handed. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it better? Perhaps a bit of a gradient to aid the yellow edges? It is because I want people to be able to upload an icon they already added a border to:
View attachment 365700

EDIT: After more consideration, perhaps it's the wrong approach to make it "work with any icon" by removing part of the icon so the ATC looks right. The black border would degrade a good source. It sets the bar lower than making the icons from scratch. It might be better to just expect the user to upload a source that isn't already bordered.
Hey,

There is no scorescreen icon for reforged apparently. Just as the old Scorescreen with pretty pictures is gone with Reforged.

Issue with Reforged icons is that their filter are a bit more complex, I'm not sure what the capabilities of the ¨icon generator¨ would be, a .psd file would do.
First of all DIS icons aren't just X% black transparency, there are discoloration and other filters involved. I found that out by making DIS filters for multiple BTN icons so they would match native DIS icons.
Another thing is the inconsistency, some Blizzard ATC have only the golden border, some have a PAS+ATC mixture.. it's a mess.
With ATC icons, a pure black border would not look good on such high res icons, especially on larger screens, I usually just go for ATC+PAS.
Can you see the layer and filters in my .psd file? That might help.

Without revealing too much of the theme I am seeing things in on the test version of Hive 3, how is this?
View attachment 365730
Everything works (I assume it's clear that UPG and ATT are transparent in black areas, just not this screenshot).
Now let me show the difference in DIS: Your Filter - Reforged Filter - BTN icon

Test.png

Ole

Ole

Level 2
Can some1 make a version of Button Manager v1.8.2 that can create warcraft 3 reforged icons?
Sorry if im posting on the wrong topic i have no idea where to...
Thanks for every1s work.

Status
Not open for further replies.