1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Because there haven't been a second dota to copy yet. They haven't "tried" because there hasn't been anything they've deemed worthy to steal, what you're calling "not trying" is them not enacting. But merely setting up the groundwork to be able to appropriate a map is them trying to do so, otherwise there would be no reason for having it changed.

Well good thing for me that I never got into SC2 modding then. Though actually what I just found with a quick search was that apparently they changed the EULA at some time during 2011 with SC2 as well. So back in 2010 when I SC2 WoL came out (and I bought it, I happen to have two copies btw just random fact) said eula didn't apply either, so it's no wonder I wasn't aware of this garbage eula.

All this really tells me is that Blizzard was already shit ever since their merger into acti-blizzard, I just wasn't aware of it.

2. DrakPanda

DrakPanda

Resources:
    Resources:
    dont worry theres alot in the same boat, since 2006 activision has been a STI to the company that owned blizzard entertainment then, we will probly never be rid of it, lets hope some other company comes and eat activision-blizzard (however unlikely it will be) and mostly mutes activision

3. Lord_Earthfire

Lord_Earthfire

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I think it is the first part here. Custom campaign is such a niche feature of wc3 (with a passionate community, though) that i doubt that they would pick exactly this feature to make a paid dlc. That small margin won't be worth the outcry that followed

Well, with most wc3 maps having copyright infringing and/or very offensive material, i doubt this will have any effect.

4. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Only these gaming companies are currently richer than Activision:
    SEGA (not much richer than Activision Blizzard, only slightly)
    Nintendo
    Microsoft Studios
    Sony Computer Entertainment

So.... pick one. Activision was the 5th richest gaming developer in 2019.
    Extremely unlikely to happen.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  5. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Glad to see the non-response getting flag on Hive as well.. Still looking forward to one day play my legally owned copy of Wc3 and make the occosional mod without this bull...but thanks to the long term support and fix it later mentality I guess I won't.

6. Mr.Goblin

Mr.Goblin

Art and Graphic Design Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    FUK N HELL... I feel like we've been giving them feedbacks for the past 3 years (back when it was disclosed) and even MORE feedbacks since the announcement of reforge and EVEN MOAR feebacks since the beta release.... and NOW THIS MESSAGE?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?

This....

This is a toxic relationship.....

I'm not going to buy anything from Blizzard anymore until the reviews from their game are out. Fuck this.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  7. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Fair enough. But shouldn't it be easy to add SD shadows back if it's just blobs under the units? I imagine it'd be weird for the classic units to not have shadows underneath them.

8. DrakPanda

DrakPanda

Resources:
    Resources:
    in all honesty no blobs vs blobs is not very noticeable

from what i understand from programming shadows, no
    given the reforged engine uses proper shadows, angled to the point of light or time of day (im not really sure what is used between the 2) the "higher thinking" shadows are no long able to comprehend blob shadows, its like comparing 2d to 3d, but unlike human minds that can simply think ok 2d is flat, a computer sees the 3d as another whole new language
    a shadow is from one direction, while the blob is in all directions a 360, even if the light source was directly above the unit the new shadow thinking would still know it should not produce a blob
    new thinking is "taught" defined shaped good blob bad, so the blob would go against its primal "thought process"

this is probly a very poor explanation of computer science, then again computer science isnt my favorite field either

9. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    why are you trying to defend what you dont understand?
    classic shadows must be the easiest thing to re-enable

10. Rheiko

Rheiko

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm sure you can have two shadow systems separately, it is possible, I know it is, it should be. The classic shadows don't even require complicated calculation, it's scalable and basically just there, underneath the unit.

I don't know how it looks like in reforged and later patches but in my 1.27b version of the game, I can see clearly if my units don't have shadows underneath. That means a downgrade.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  11. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    classic shadows are plain images bound to units just like selection circle

12. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah the simple shadows are basically just a simple texture attached to the unit, it's no more difficult to add than an attachment, and the path to the model/texture should already be in the object data, because you can choose it yourself in the WE.

13. StormWarriors2

StormWarriors2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Basically. If they upgraded warcraft 3 to have that, that is a waste of processing power and will cause unnecessary lag spikes. Especially on Strategy games the units are so small a dynamic shadow vs a non-dynamic shadow won't be noticable unless you are specifically looking for it, most times they have several different options for shadows in strategy games now so as to allow players to best optimize their experience.

Unreal I know uses dynamic shadows / dynamic lighting. If they added dynamic shadows to unreal that would mean they would have actual moving shadows. Which it doesn't. Most games fake shadows with a fluttering trick, if I remember correctly Witcher 3 did this with a type of directional lighting trick?

But again I need to see more of the game which I am not going to until they address like thirty of the things that have been mentioned in this thread:

Capped Frames on Models
    Animation Bugs
    Lack of unique Animations
    Missing Buttons
    Lack of Control Menu to set custom key bindings
    handicap for Color Blindness (new colors are hard to see for color blind people)
    Cinematics breaking in some cases
    Melee Balance being out of wack
    Missing Features
    How Reforged Mode runs like ass compared to classic
    Unnecessary update for legacy users.
    Still promising a new campaign that has had no new changes.... On their marketing etc

14. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    > talking about waste of resources
    > whole menu built on reactJS
    blizzard employee in da house

15. DragunovCh

DragunovCh

Resources:
    Resources:
    that whole post resumes into "Sorry you guys think is bad but you ask too much :( pay me pls"

16. GIMLI_2

GIMLI_2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    it is sad that because of all those major issues, noone addresses the current problems about the editor.

17. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    Honestly, I didn't read the part where they care what we asked for?

18. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Biggest load of BS I have ever heard.

19. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    An open letter to Blizzard
    We've been following the development of Warcraft III: Reforged for the past two years and a half, and wanted to thank you for your consideration to update a beloved game by the community ever since the original Warcraft III release. First off, we want to apologize that you didn't get the support you wanted post-release, and we as a community would like to give our feedback on how you can redeem this great game.

There's been a few angry comments during launch day where veterans from our community jumped right into hostility after their original game was transformed, but we were able to resolve those later in the day, where community admins took measures. Seperate from that, we haven't seen official feedback about different aspects of Reforged that we wanted them to take some time to address.

Before we go on: the players are excited that Warcraft III: Reforged is finally upon us and we're ready to fully commit to supporting the game for a long time to come. The next few patches that you're planning to discuss better hold close to our criticism and feedback, after all, we've been playing the game for almost two decades, we are the ultimate beta testers. This game is an integral part of our DNA, since we grew up around it, and it changed our life. And we're looking forward to pouring our hearts into Reforged as we did for so long on Warcraft III for the long term.

One of the many concerns that we've seen is the missing features, such as Custom Campaigns, the ability to switch to proper old/classic mode, including the possibility of Reign of Chaos, since many a player still loved the original concept better than the expansion. We've identified the issue being an overlook by the developer team, while it was a crucial key on what made this game so enjoyable in the first place. We hope that the release later this week addresses this issue. We hope also that the patch fixes the broken menus also fix various bugs that were there even during the Beta and the latest patches which effectively broke the game, but we as gamers didn't complain at the time with high hopes everything would be resolved with the release of Reforged. Please keep an eye out for our concerns and feedback.

Another area of concern is regarding the mandatory online focus, even for modding alone. There are many modders who like to use their time during offline travel, to work on code and map design, this makes it ultimately impossible. The other integral part is the effective separation of Reforged and the original game, since not everyone will be looking at purchasing Reforged in its current state, and we feel it's unfair for players who had previously purchased Warcraft III to suddenly lose their game without a warning or a reasonable excuse. We'll be waiting for communication of any kind of future plans-please be sure to express what the team is working on, on fear that it may bring about the further downfall of this game.

There are some major concerns we've seen that you're not currently planning to address and we wanted to give you a heads-up. As of Reforged release, we saw a huge amount of complaints and refunds, so we'd like our community to join together instead of being crushed in such a cruel manner. We'd like that Reforged earn it's proper title of Remastered, and the players who already owned the game be offered an at least 25% discount to repurchase their favourite game, all inclusive. On top of that, the old game must be restored to its former glory and preferably to a patch that didn't break its fundamental gameplay. It would also be a good idea to restore the original Battlenet, which we hope will satisfy the players every concern.

Related to that, as you failed to communicate your ideas on the in-game cutscenes, we'd like for them to be implemented into the game, be it in a future realistic time window, or in a future patch. You steered too far from your original goal whilst advertising a complete false experience even on launch day and a week after.
    You have utterly failed to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft III and allow players to relive these unforgettable moments as they were (albeit with reduction to stability of gameplay).

We know latest update didn't address any questions, but we're committed to the development and support of this game. After all, if anything, Blizzard has the most passionate community, and it's time they teach this company a hard lesson of truth. Until then, thank you as always for your high quality production of games in the past decades, we hope your precision returns, so that you can earn our respect back.

Sincerely,

Just one passionate Warcraft III player

20. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    oh my, an overdramatic, poorly written expression of sarcastic entitlement, I wonder if it's going to make a difference