1. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update - Player Profiles

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Jouven

Jouven

Resources:
    Resources:
    There is a hilarious/sad cognitive dissonance, whoever has written this piece "text" using the phrase "FEELING THE NOSTALGIA", are they parodying themselves?... I don't know if they are laughing at the community, have a really twisted sense of humor or have discovered a new peak of negative self-awareness

Having worked as developer in a company in the past, paint/photoshop/x image editor is used a lot to make mock up previews from an initial template on how the product will look "finished"

2. fenix140

fenix140

Resources:
    Resources:
    It is what I also say. Or perhaps it is impossible for this game to consume few resources. Looks like they truncated War 3 to the max. Not even Starcraft 2 is over the top. Blizzard keeps thinking about the current community and forgetting about the community that has used its game for a long time. So the comment that said:
    "User: I can't play the recent Warcraft, I request more resources from my computer."
    "Blizzard: If you want to play the recent Warcraft 3 (Not Reforged), buy a better computer."
    "User: I've had the game for a long time, it's your fault if this game doesn't work."
    "Blizzard: not our problem"
    "Waht?!!!"

Even youtuber and steamer have Lag peaks in real time, this is impressive no. How badly is this game optimized.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  3. TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    This has to be an error, right?

[​IMG]

4. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nothing is impossible. Even 0 is uncertain.

5. Waffle

Waffle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Last i checked GUI users still cannot use local variables without resorting to "custom" actions and mentally reasoning about how the trg-> jass conversion splits code into sub-functions.
    Neither can GUI users create or call custom functions (they can run triggers and stash data in global variables.. this does NOT count, it is cumbersome to define and use and changes global state and makes reasoning about code harder)
    That this is still the case in 2020 tells me all I need to know about how much blizz care for the world editor.

6. fenix140

fenix140

Resources:
    Resources:
    Most of the WorldEdit community is stuck at this point. I don't know if there is any way for Blizzard to take their Map Editor into account, but if they continue to ignore this, it will be a long time, as happened with the SC 2 update after 5 years.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  7. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Expecting GUI to have equal functionality to full syntax is silly. At least if you want to be remotely productive.
    Although I will say that they could make it similar to the SC2 editor which indeed supports local variables in GUI.
    But given that the feedback for SC2 was that the SC2 editor was considered too complex, perhaps that is not where we should draw inspiration from.

But even if you think that this is one of the good parts of the SC2 editor. Perhaps you should simply learn JASS if you are at the point where you feel like you need local variables as you are most likely at a point where you can start to make use of the full toolkit if you put your mind to it.
    Or if you think JASS is clunky we are currently able to mod in vjass, c#, typescript, wurst and lua

8. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It's only complicated because of the object data. The Trigger editor is more than fine, many more possibilities than Warcraft III's.

9. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let's be fair now - the removal of player profiles was one of the major sources of outrage when Reforged released, and has been whined about in every update so far. It's a good thing that they added it back (with improvements), though it should have been there on release.

10. petroglyph

petroglyph

Resources:
    Resources:
    Keep up the hard work Blizzard. dont give up. Luckily, I am one of those who like Reforged.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  11. Waffle

Waffle

Resources:
    Resources:
    So, you make the editor "simpler" by leaving out the most basic functionality to writre concise and maintainable code?
    Just because the implementation is missing crutial pieces does not mean it is simple or simple-to-use..
    Let me know how simple you feel the editor to be, when you want to write MUI triggers and have to deal with global state and arrays or maps to keep things from imploding.

12. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And you can't even array within array; the numbers get overwritten. It's quite limited, GUI.

13. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Your frustrations are justified as these things should be available, but I think it's important to point out that if you're capable of handling all of those annoying GUI workarounds then you're probably ready to make the jump from GUI to coding.

Also, if you continue to use GUI, remember that the editor now supports Lua, which will make your Custom scripting life a hell of a lot easier. Just keep in mind that Lua comes with a cost as you can't use both Lua/Jass at the same time.

14. Wooden PC

Wooden PC

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well about damn time too. This seems more promising than "fixing naga's ears", and the community have been asking since forever. Now I wonder if they're gonna do something to save the map making community too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  15. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    to save what tho?

16. Wooden PC

Wooden PC

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sorry I meant map making community. Brain not functioning right now. I've been playing some other game that support mod

17. RagnarokBazil

RagnarokBazil

Resources:
    Resources:
    Why remove what was not broken?

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So it can be reborn.

19. Waffle

Waffle

Resources:
    Resources:
    If you work on a map with several people you are likely to be in a situation where some people are comfortable with writing pure jass2 (or vjass or Wurst or what ever is the current hotness). But making interfaces that are easy to use from GUI still matters. Exposing custom functions as first class citizens in GUI would make it easy to make systems and spells in jass and then let people with different focus invoke these from GUI code or tweak small things without having to deal with the brittle JASS experience.

GUI is also the gateway drug to map scripting. If GUI is hard then less people will catch on and graduate to the better alternatives. It is also forcing bad software engineering practises on new mapmakers which is making all of our lives worse in the long run.

That's just another way to say: "Hey i see you have a map that you have developed for 10 years, too bad, now go rewrite and test ALL of it, before you get to play with any of the Lua goodies". It's not accessible to existing maps and going lua means you cannot make use any of the excellent community libraries that have been written in jass/vjass/zinc or even WurstScript (i think that requires a tad more trickery, but its doable) assets can be made use of.

20. Uncle

Uncle

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, but most of those Jass libraries become obsolete with the introduction of Lua. The ones that remain useful like knockback systems were easy to recreate, and Bribe's Damage Engine has Lua support.

If you aren't using a lot of big Jass libraries then the syntax updating isn't too difficult, you simply shave off all instances of the word "set", "call", etc... as Lua syntax is a lot cleaner. But yeah, I hear you, it's too much of a pain to update something you've worked on for 10 years.

But I highly recommend it if you're starting a map off fresh!