1. Find your way through the deepest dungeon in the 18th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A brave new world lies beyond the seven seas. Join the 34th Modeling Contest today!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Reforged Warcraft III Reforged - Artistic/Textures/UI Feedback

Discussion in 'Patch & Reforged Discussion' started by Sieben, Nov 4, 2018.

1. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  2. SerenityInFire

SerenityInFire

Resources:
    Resources:
    That shit looks TERRIBLE IMHO.

3. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Playing in Reforged graphics I've noticed a few things.

1) The new models do grow on you and you do learn to identify most of them quite easily.

2)This doesn't apply to a lot of the unit/building icons with some being too generic to tell what unit is meant to be for (esecially High/Blood Elven units)

3) The biggest problem with air units isn't their models but their animations they all hold themselves the same way, kinda arched with their tails hanging down compared to original warcraft 3 where wind riders and dragonhawks had very flat profiles compared to now.

4. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  5. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    More like Hive related but the model viewer for Reforged custom units is like washed and no textures

6. SebioL

SebioL

Resources:
    Resources:
    I strongly disagree with all this. If there was any good, relevant change that we can congratulate Blizzard, it was precisely in the realism and greater humanism of the models. Some things were out of proportion to reality, an example of Footman's shoulder pads. But it's all part of the fantasy and I applaud Blizzard and his stylists Reforged, as humans and orcs mainly, were very good in relation to the terrible classic quality. In the classic only Undead and NE had some quality.
    I was extremely sad to see that they modified the first version of Footman Reforged, because for me it was much better, this time they modified the shield and lowered the size of the shoulder pads. I would like to know if anyone can get the initial Footman Reforged model like the one in this image below??

Thnk you.

Attached Files:

7. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The disproportionate look was even more part of the fantasy genre.

8. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To each their own, but personally I find the art style of classic WC3 a big part of the charm. Of course, being such an old game, it's very low quality, but there are a lot of fanmade models around which have a modern level of detail but retain the classic art style.
    The amount of polygons and the filesize of the Reforged is also far beyond the point of diminishing returns in terms of detail vs performance/size for an RTS imo.

9. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    This message misses the whole point of Warcraft Franchise, Samwise Didier's stylised and 'absurd' art made the franchise what it is, if you take this soul from it, it becomes an empty shell like Reforged. A remaster to this title needs to follow the same rules of WCIII's style and Warcraft Franchise's style as a whole which Reforged fails too hard and this game is an rts, the higher poly count is not the thing that makes the game playable instead simple but eye catching details that makes the game playable so you know and say 'hey this is a footman' which in Reforged's case the shield of Footman from the demo had the most complaints out of people saw back then because it was basically not the thing you expect to see from 'The Footman'

10. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    You deserve to be vanished from this reality , but first from this community. Shame on you for defending old footman.
    New shield is the only and best part of footman , whos not a good model at all . Mongrel face at its best

11. SebioL

SebioL

Resources:
    Resources:
    My comrade. Are you criticizing a person for having a taste different from your taste? Would it be the same as me discussing with a friend what kind of pleasure or fetish is best with a woman? Lol
    I agree with all of you that classic styling was very pleasant, but to the extent that it was pleasant, it was only subjected to these frowning shapes to account for the fact that Blizzard at the time did not have enough technical resources for better quality.
    I believe that Reforged tried to get closer to reality and with a touch of stylism (example of Footman that I thought the Demo version was much better than the updated one). The differentiated shield and the large shoulder pads in the first Footman advertisements for Reforged, were much better and even today I am looking for that initial version that they announced, but that today do not provide us with the new patch 1.32.

However, Blizzard sinned a little just because it gave more realism in the proportions of the size of humans, which were previously in "flattened" proportions, as if they were crushed, but I didn't think it was bad, I also like realism mixed with reality, if the most demanded models are humans, why not try to make them in real proportions and keeping only their armor and other accessories in stylized formats?

12. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They already had a perfect style template in WoW though IMO. It's more detailed and a bit more realistically proportioned, but still very close to WC3's original style. With some adjustments for an RTS, it would've been much better IMO, and since they clearly wanted to appeal to WoW players, it would've been the logical direction to take anyway.

13. SebioL

SebioL

Resources:
    Resources:
    Most people may even be used to the flattened shapes and coarse details. But who can guarantee that an innovative look will be a great tragedy? And mainly in relation to new players who will be experimenting for the first time. You are just experiencing new sensations. Criticizing this aesthetic is the same as criticizing the only really new thing that exists in Reforged, remove the innovation in the models and go back to the classic style, what do you have?
    Just the "switch to classic" option in Reforged customizations. So click that button and be happy... brother.
    Lololol
    No one is forced to agree with your taste.
    Have a good time!

14. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    It is not the same thing as 'switch to classic', I don't want classic I want an HD Warcraft III that is loyal to the franchise and not some mobile game graphics and realism which has no place in Warcraft franchise. People are asking for a remaster that looks like Warcraft, for referance see my avatar and\or mods that I'm working with.

15. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    I disagree I don't find WoW to be stylised enough to fit into Warcraft 3, Warcraft 3 needs its janky over beefed proportions to look like Warcraft imo.

16. loktar

loktar

Model Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah the proportions should be exaggerated some more to translate the style into WC3 because it's an RTS, but other than that it's a pretty similar style.

17. YourArthas

YourArthas

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I completely agree with this even though designs are not inline with Warcraft III, WoW has got the art style that is the same as Warcraft III but evolved into HD standards over time

18. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I think models from HOTS would fit perfectly for warcraft 3 remaster. Why did they bother to make new models when they could use this ones?

Attached Files:

19. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    I have noticed that HoTS seems to capture some of the Warcraft cartoony proportion styles a lot more. So I think they should've taken inspiration from that but tweaking some models, for example HoTS Jaina looks a little ridiculous with those pauldrons.

20. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Having thin junky alike base body proportions with over bulked shoulder pads is worst thing that could happen to RTS. Looks like walking or flying armor on the map from rts perspective. There are ways to skip some dwarfy proportions but still not go thin junky ones too.

Even Lemonsky studio admitted whole game art was made for camera like wow and not wc3 . And theres so much proofs for it that are obvious

So, at the end this is not the matter of taste , it is basics , speaking of proportions or spamming and small details.
    Its not art design question, where you want put your theory of relativity